Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:08 pm 

Except for the DLCs, I felt everything was fair and challenging. It will definitely push your buttons, but it is SO rewarding.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:34 pm 

completely agree so far, that said i just reached the teleporting jerk, even the basic versions are difficult enough :p but i'll get used to it

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:53 pm 

hollow knight is nuts, currently trying to beat the brooding mawlek(have not focused on this boss because getting to it is such a pain), mantis lords, and soul master(who i only fought once) mostly using wayward compass, gathering swarm, sometimes soul catcher, thorns of agony, long nail, quick focus, lifeblood heart, grubsong, spore shroom

i believe right now i have something like gathering swarm, wayward compass, long nail, grubsong and spore shroom equipped but i could be wrong about that, it just keeps getting better the more i explore

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:48 pm 

I really love the Mantis Lords boss fight. I remember when I beat the game the first time I had so much difficulty with it. When I went through the second time, it was a breeze. That's the beauty of Hollow Knight, actually learning the bosses and feeling like you're getting better and better at the game, until you hit the wall that is Nightmare King Grimm and you want to die because you are unworthy.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:09 pm 

What he said! The whole game is full of boss fights where, on the first few tries, you're just like what the fuuuck there's not even an opening to attack or heal!

But after a few more tries you're like Ohhhh there's my window! And its actually huge!

Mantis Lords really embodied this for me. Once I could beat them, I was hardly taking a hit. It's so damn satisfying.

RE: Charms -- I don't think I ever took off the spore shroom except for some very specific circumstances that I don't want to spoil. That's the one that poisons when you heal right? I loved being able to stack damage on a boss while healing, however slight.

I wanna get into Samurai Shodown but I despise the look of the new one. I have SSV or VI on PS4 but there's no one to match with online and I hate playing the computer. Wish my friends wanted to practice ancient fighting games for hours.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:00 pm 

thank you finally beat the mantis lords, it felt so good oddly enough the first phase was the difficult part for me, the 2nd phase i usually got into a rhythm, still took about 10 attempts though, and yes its very powerful and i think its only one notch, i finally got into deepnest .......only spent about 15 minutes there so far........i can understand why it has a reputation :P but at the same time i cant wait to explore it more

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:49 pm 

i died in a really bad place in deepnest(pogosticking on the metal caterpillar) and its not something i was confident reaching and i had about 1000 on me at the time(which is a decent amount for me) i decided i would go to fungal wastes(so i can fast travel to jiji) and once i get there i feel safe but getting to there was so tense that is why people compare it to dark souls because it reminded me so much of having a tonne of souls on me hoping the next place i find is a bonfire, i eventually got there safe but a lot of the time i had 2 health or less thanks to the dirtcarvers

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:25 pm 

I beat my head against the Pantheon in Hollow Knight, and still haven't beaten it. :lol:

I retreated back to what I know best...I beat Bloodborne NG+5 and Dark Souls NG+.

Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:56 am 

Yeah, I was feeling the frustration well before even reaching any of the bosses so I don't think I'll be giving the game another try.

The only games I'm really interested in at the moment are Hypnospace Outlaw and Observation (from the makers of the awesome Stories Untold). Hopefully they'll be on sale soon so I can pick them up cheap.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:46 am 

Played through Firewatch the other day.

Spoiler: show
The game did a really good job of building tension, but sadly it didn't actually build to anything. Why were Delilah"s lies never addressed? If she was actually broken up with her boyfriend, why did the files say they were still together? Clearly someone lied there, but why? Who did you overhear D talking to?

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:35 pm 

Agreed, I played it with my ex and it was a lot of fun, but so anticlimactic :(
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:44 pm 

KILLSQUAD is currently in Steam Early Access, it's Diablo meets Helldivers...

...which translates to TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!

(In 2020, when it comes to console.)

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:14 am 

I'm not hugely into fantasy RPG, but that game looks promising. I'll have to give it a go on my laptop.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:25 pm 

I recommend giving Helldivers a try, then. It's the best Starship Troopers game you'll ever get.

darkeningday wrote:

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:58 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
KILLSQUAD is currently in Steam Early Access, it's Diablo meets Helldivers...

Spoiler: show

...which translates to TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!

(In 2020, when it comes to console.)

It looks cool, but I hope it's more like Diablo and less like Helldivers. Helldivers got old pretty quickly, and the leveling trees weren't very impressive.

Be really nice if we could just have a Diablo 4 already grumble grumble...

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:13 pm 

I've been taking a bit of a hiatus. I was getting into that "only wants to play From Software" games mood again, and was hating Dragon's Dogma and Dishonored: DOO.

Today was moving day, so everything being boxed up will lend to that. I really want to be able to enjoy average games like I used to. :lol: :violin:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:47 am 

Picked up A Plague Tale: Innocence during the GMG sale. It's really good! Kind of a medieval The Last of Us. Playing it in French for full immersion too... :nods: I think it's the first game I fully play in French actually.

It's also really, really pretty.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

MaleficDevilry wrote:
was hating Dragon's Dogma and Dishonored: DOO

Boooo

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:58 am 

I knew getting back into Hollow Knight was going to be a little painful but damn. IV Phase Zote can suck my fucking void. Still haven't even tried Radiance or NKG. I left so many loose ends on this game.

Waaaait you have to beat him 10 times?? I thought it was 4 only. Ffs.

Last edited by Jonpo on Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:13 pm 

Morrigan, that game looks GORGEOUS. When you say "The Last of Us," do you mean gameplay wise? Sneaking, etc?

Morrigan wrote:
MaleficDevilry wrote:
was hating Dragon's Dogma and Dishonored: DOO

Boooo

I can't help it. It's not a slight at Dragon's Dogma. I started it after my first two plays of DS1. I just want more Miyazaki. :lol:

Jonpo wrote:
I knew getting back into Hollow Knight was going to be a little painful but damn. IV Phase Zote can suck my fucking void. Still haven't even tried Radiance or NKG. I left so many loose ends on this game.

God, I love this game but I NKG and the Pantheon of Hollownest broke me. I'm ready for Silksong!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:18 pm 

MaleficDevilry wrote:
Morrigan, that game looks GORGEOUS. When you say "The Last of Us," do you mean gameplay wise? Sneaking, etc?

Yeah. Various things remind me of it:

- While Amicia is young herself (15), she is still an "older figure" taking care of a younger, ailing NPC (her little brother, who is 5).

- Amicia and her little brother must survive in a borderline post-apocalyptic world. Instead of a zombie apocalypse in a modern setting, it's a medieval France devastated by a plague.

- Instead of avoiding infected/zombies and hostile bandits, you have to avoid swarms of rats and the Inquisition. The focus is indeed on stealth, as Amicia can't really fight (see below), and there is a greater focus on puzzle-solving, such as how to use fire and light to ward off the rats.

- Levels are linear, Uncharted/TLoU-style, with some missable collectibles but replayable chapters if you care about that. But that's fine, not everything needs to be open-world.

- There is some very minimal form of combat, basically a last resort thing; Amicia can use a sling with various projectiles to defend herself. But the sling is mostly used to activate traps or contraptions, solve puzzles, with taking out a hostile as a last resort. Don't expect to be spending most of your time fighting. I'd say as a TPS, TLoU is a lot more combat-focused in general.

- There is some light crafting to improve Amicia's sling, pouches, craft sling ammunition, and the like, done in occasionally found workshops similar to TLoU.

- So, also similarly to TLoU, it's often worth exploring a bit to loot resources, but not that essential and sometimes I preferred to just "beeline to the exit" instead of trying to explore the whole area and dodging all the guards just to maybe find some piece of leather or a collectible. Whereas in other areas, I would take the time to take them all out and explore everything, especially if I wanted more crafting resources.

- The game is easier/more generous in checkpoints overall than TLoU. It's not quite as horror-focused, though some moments are similarly creepy or daunting. Enemy AI is also less intimidating, as most guards stay put, are easily distracted, and don't have complex patrol patterns, but they are basically like clickers in the sense that if they spot you and you aren't super quick to take them out with your sling, they will OHKO you.

- I would say the game's focus is on its narrative, atmosphere, character interactions, and its beautiful vistas (with a photo mode!) more than some super-deep or mechnically complex gameplay.

- However, the gameplay itself, while simple, is perfectly serviceable and fun; the controls are fine, the camera never caused any issues (a rarity in 3D games, especially European ones, lol), and while it's generally not really difficult, it's not completely brain dead either and will punish sloppiness. It also doesn't tack on needless AAA-checklist crap like a lot of modern games do, and I appreciate that. It's an action-adventure game where the gameplay serves to advance and support the story, which is engaging on its own (I haven't finished yet and I do hope it won't be ruined by some shitty ending or anything), so in that, it does compare to TLoU and Uncharted (it has a lesser focus on big set pieces than Uncharted though, which I think is a good thing because the collapsing building over-the-top nonsense is getting tired now). My only nitpick is that it does the annoying Uncharted-like thing of having NPCs blurt out the solution if you take too long in solving a puzzle. I wish we could completely turn that off.

Overall I'm quite enjoying this game and would happily recommend it. I really enjoy the protagonist too. Her kid brother is generally adorable, too, instead of annoying.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:26 am 

Lately i'm enjoying Mtg Arena: even if sometimes i get slammed by users way more willing to spend money than i am, i'm glad that finally Mtg has a game worth playing

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:54 am 

One of my favorite parts of fatherhood has been watching my son grow into gaming. From that l'il button masher to the skilled challenger he is now. From having to set handicaps in Smash Bros so it would feel more fair to him, to now where he builds serious combos and keeps me consistently challenged when we play versus games.

In this, I'm Noob Saibot and he's Scorpion. Got two fights. This might not mean much to most of you, but it makes me pretty fucking happy.

Oh, we have a standing rule: If one of us wins the first two rounds in a row, he performs a Mercy for a final reprieve. Sometimes it really shakes things up (also some Brutalities require it ha ha).

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:58 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Lately i'm enjoying Mtg Arena: even if sometimes i get slammed by users way more willing to spend money than i am, i'm glad that finally Mtg has a game worth playing

Yea, I've been playing Arena quite a lot recently too. I'm not really a fan of how there's like 7 or 8 decks that make up the meta, and that's all that everyone seems to use. It'd be nice if I didn't constantly have to go up against Scapeshift or Elementals, but oh well, the game is still really fun.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:44 am 

Scapeshift is the one that annoys me the most, i run a modified UW starter deck and i can't really find a counter :(

Otherwise even with a half-crappy deck like this i can get way more wins than expected. I've noticed that players with a top tier deck tend to be less careful against me and often fall for counterspells/Time Wipes :lol:

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:19 pm 

Holy fuck, I forgot how aggravating Wipeout can be. Probably a reason I played the original and that's it.

darkeningday wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:45 pm 

Three upcoming games that look interesting to me; what about anyone here?

And, of course, the amazing-looking Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:06 am 

Honestly, I have this entire fall and winter blocked off for the holy trinity of Borderlands 3, Death Stranding, and The Outer Worlds, but I'll keep an eye out for those too.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:18 pm 

I can't decide if I'm excited for Death Stranding or not. I've never enjoyed MGS. :scratch:

I'm excited for two games in particular, but neither has an offiicial release date.

Ghost of Tsushima
Witchfire

ALSO! Is anyone else excited for the Metal Wolf Chaos XD release this month? I've never played a From Software mech game, so I'm pretty excited.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:47 pm 

Yeah, I've never cared for MGS, but DS's theme looks cool and I've always been a sucker for open world games, gimmicky or not, lol.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:50 pm 

Speaking of Open World, I'm just about finished with We Happy Few. I THINK I recommend it? It's super janky, combat is atrocious, many of the survival and crafting aspects are super grindy and tedious and while there's not THAT much procedural generation, it's still there and it still sucks. But the setting is beyond brilliant, the art is colorful, the handmade environments are jaw-dropping and packed with detail and the writing and voice acting are magnificent across the board. It's also a long game, and I mean loooooooong; like 50-60 hours. If you're looking for a budget Dishonored with even greater ambition but far less technical competency (think: unpatched Bethesda games), I'd give it a shot.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:13 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Honestly, I have this entire fall and winter blocked off for the holy trinity of Borderlands 3, Death Stranding, and The Outer Worlds, but I'll keep an eye out for those too.

Good calls, except for Outer Worlds which I'm not sure about. But Death Stranding has had me salivating since the early (fuckin' weird) trailers. Can't wait. Also Cyberpunk looks super dope.

MaleficDevilry wrote:

I'm excited for two games in particular, but neither has an offiicial release date.

Ghost of Tsushima
Witchfire

ALSO! Is anyone else excited for the Metal Wolf Chaos XD release this month? I've never played a From Software mech game, so I'm pretty excited.

I'm skeptical on Ghosts of Tsushima, especially with the combat, as I hope it's a fully controlled (by the player) camera and NOT a fixed one I've seen in all so called "gameplay" vids out there. Hopefully Witchfire comes to consoles as well.

Metal Wolf Chaos XD looks absolutely awful from what I've seen. No thank you.

My collection

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:39 am 

It's a remaster of a game from 2004. I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking. :lol:

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:32 am 

That explains a lot :-P

My collection

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:05 pm 

Just started this:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/6991 ... ters_Mark/

I'm pretty early into it, but it's really good so far. Basically scratching that FFTactics itch I've had for so long. The protagonist is pretty cool too.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:47 am 

I FINALLY played Overcooked with my fiancé last night. I can't even explain...I mean I finally understand the hype for this game. I had grabbed it for like $2 on sale months and months ago just waiting for the right moment. And last night, while we waited for Tekken 7 to download, was exactly the right moment.

We were screaming and laughing. She is a server at a very chaotic restaurant so she kept yelling "WHY IS THIS FUN THIS IS JUST MY ACTUAL JOB!??", but we had an absolute blast. Hoping to get some more in tonight when she's done bodying me in Tekken.

Eventually the "new" one will be on sale and I must have it. What an incredible piece of couch co-op.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:13 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Just started this:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/6991 ... ters_Mark/

I'm pretty early into it, but it's really good so far. Basically scratching that FFTactics itch I've had for so long. The protagonist is pretty cool too.

*ears perk up*

Did someone say FFTactics? Welp, gotta investigate this game right now.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:09 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
She is a server at a very chaotic restaurant so she kept yelling "WHY IS THIS FUN THIS IS JUST MY ACTUAL JOB!??"

It's okay. If a game has a forklift? I try to use it.

darkeningday wrote:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:32 am 

Hahaha more games should have playable forklift situations.

Tekken 7 is weird, especially when I've been playing SO MUCH Brawlhalla. The character movement in Tekken 7 feels like your chosen fighter weighs 5 tons. In Brawlhalla I'm light as a feather, floaty, dashy, near-infinite movement options. I've been spoiled!

With Brawlhalla I can feel improvement on a daily basis. I'm trying to normalize ranked matches but I still get nervous. I've made it up to Gold 3 at the moment, but I'm starting to feel like Platinum is a real possibility. I've beaten Platinum and even Diamond players in experimental 1v1, although I know that isn't the same as a ranked environment. I've also been watching replays of my losses to learn from my own mistakes. Which is usually just dogshit movement.

I realize no one here cares about this stupid free fighting game but if you've ever climbed a ranked ladder I think you can relate to the fun in seeing progress.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:08 am 

MaleficDevilry wrote:
Thexhumed wrote:
I just got Kingdom Come: Deliverance from the monthly HumbleBundle pack of games, and I know I'm a bit late to the party, but boy this game is fun.

I've had my eye on this. Reviews have me cautious. There's no fantasy aspects, and you do mundane daily stuff regularly? What do you like about it?

I didn't notice this post. Sorry for replying so late. And to answer your question: everything. Combat is fun, challenging and extremely rewarding once you master the basics. The story is quite simple, but the script is really well crafted and it results in a fun, engaging experience. Graphics are beautiful, honestly; sometimes I wonder around just to look at the landscapes and take screenshots of things that I like. I know a lot of people complain about the bugs, but most of those complaints come from early 2018 so I guess those bugs were fixed because, so far, I've only encountered a couple, and none of them were game breaking. I read in an earlier post here that the "simulation" part was too much work to do and it felt like a chore (or somethin like that), to me, that's a bit of a stretch, just make sure to keep Henry well fed, rested and clean and you'll have no troubles.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:16 pm 

Youuu guuyyyssss it finally happened. I'm obsessed with Dead Cells. I've only done maybe 8 runs? Spread out over...well whenever it came out for PS4. I think I bought it pretty early. I've still not beaten the game but I reached the Throne Room last night and got the Hand down to about 1/4 health on my first try. I'm feeling super energized/motivated to keep making new runs. On my best run so far I was using some kind of Boots that dropped with ridiculous stats at the very beginning of my run. Oh and I also got the Frost umm..Orbs? It's like 3 frost balls that go out and slow down mobs instead of freezing them. The synergy between this and the boots was so fun. Just running around like a mad person kicking the living shit out of slowed down baddies. Oh I also used a shield for the first time, cause I heard parrying makes the Castle a breeze. It definitely helped. Parrying is SO EASY and really fun. Although it gets hectic with too many things on screen at once.

Watching other people play blows my mind. Currently watching a 5BC, Cursed, hitless run on youtube. Some of these weapons and mutations you get later in the game seem SO FUN. I want Kid's Axe (or whatever) and Owls of War!

Any general tips/tricks you want to drop for your boy, I'm open to hearing them. I still feel pretty new at the game and like I don't fully understand ANYTHING, but it's so fun. Each run hooks you just a little more than the last. I just got to the Ossuary for the first time last night and did NOT handle that very well. I don't have the rune for wall-jumping yet and I really want to obtain that.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 875, 876, 877, 878, 879, 880, 881 ... 940  Next