Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:17 am 

The only thing i like in that fight is when he locks you in the circle of flames. In that exact moment i bring out the attack boost sugar, the confetti and the lament whistle and proceed to beat the shit out of it :lol:

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:55 pm 

I never stayed in the circle. Kudos for just going balls out. :evil:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:26 pm 

Yeah, I have zero intentions of getting a Platinum on Sekiro specifically because of the skill grind. I just don't care. I enjoy grinding mobs for skills that I want(ed), but doing it just to have them all? Nah, no thanks. If you are active on the Sekiro Reddit it feels like everyone on EARTH has the Platinum trophy already so I wouldn't even feel very special.

Right now I am working on back-tracking for prayer beads though. So many that I missed.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:05 am 

anyone played hollow knight? i am finally getting it on playstation 4 in a few days even though its not exactly a new release but i heard nothing but good things

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:33 am 

It will be my next game too, alongside ZeroRanger. I've never played a metroidvania game before but it looks gorgeous and seems very fast and fun to play

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:40 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
It will be my next game too, alongside ZeroRanger. I've never played a metroidvania game before but it looks gorgeous and seems very fast and fun to play

i love its art style but especially its soundtrack is haunting but perfect imo, plus an advantage for me is its created by australians......we pretty much dont do anything when it comes to video games

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:55 am 

Hollow Knight is a masterpiece. Truly one of the greatest I've ever played, in any genre. Highly rewards exploration, emotional storyline with subtle telling (ala From Soft), excellent soundtrack, stellar boss fights that can be quite challenging.

I need to dive back in and get a better ending. But it's the kind of game where I don't really play anything else when I get into it so I'm biding my time.

I've got a Steam copy, originally beat it on PS4 but I think I'm gonna start fresh and try to do more questlines this time. The first play through I didn't get any help from the internet. Now I don't care really.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:05 pm 

I was gonna say pretty much what Jonpo said about Hollow Knight. Total, addictive masterpiece. When I was palying it, it was all I wanted to do.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:05 pm 

I made myself a bit of a recluse this past winter for personal reasons. One thing I remember fondly of those few months was playing Hollow Knight from front to back with howling winter winds blowing outside and being perpetually comfy. I would leave the soundtrack on and just enjoy the serenity, namely the music in the City of Tears and the Stag Stations.

Definitely one of the best video games I've ever played. Its depth is spectacular. Playing the game for the first time is an experience akin to that of Dark Souls. An unforgettable experience.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:12 pm 

Welp, I've been sitting on HK for a long time, but now I think I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:20 pm 

Hollow Knight is one of my favorite gaming experiences since I got back into it in 2017. I'm sitting at 107% and I'll probably never finish all the DLC content but...AMAZING game. I agree with the above sentiments, it is as enthralling as Dark Souls or Bloodborne.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:52 pm 

thank you for all the replies, increases my hype for it quite a bit tbh, my sense of direction sucks so i have a feeling i'll be getting lost a lot but as long as i am having fun that is the main thing

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:01 am 

Let us know how you feel about it!

I guess I'm beating The Messenger this weekend. I wanna play that sweet sweet DLC. Also still haven't played a single second of Lucah: Born of a Dream even though I bought it like a week ago. It looks like a very interesting, "sketchy" Hyper Light Drifter tribute. Maybe tribute is offensive to the creators but it's real god damn heavy handed.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:16 pm 

I couldn't help myself and I bought Dragon's Dogma. I randomly watched a Youtube video about the game and was instantly drawn to play it. I'm almost done with NG+ in Dark Souls, and I got sidetracked into beating Bloodborne NG+4.

All this HK talk has me itching to try Nightmare King Grimm and the Path of Pain again. God help me. :brick:

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:29 pm 

lol sorry for bring it up :P seriously though i played it for about 40 minutes or so.....Gruz's mother killed me 4 times, i managed to jump into an acid pool what felt like 12 times because i missed easy jumps so far not good :P but i am having fun i just need to be less terrible

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:25 pm 

You're in for a treat! It sucks you right in. It's easily my favorite 2D game I've played on my PS4. I'm eagerly awaiting Silksong, but the last rumor I heard was June 2020.

It took me a solid 60 hours to beat the base game, including Radiance. I really want the Platinum but...those DLCs. Godhome is easily the toughest gaming challenge I've ever personally experienced. :violin:

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:31 pm 

Agreed. I could never get passed the final pantheon where you have to fight all 56 bosses or whatever it was. I got to White Vessel, the second-to-last boss, before dying. :cry: So close yet so far away.

Nightmare King Grim is insane, but I reached a point where I could beat him multiple times. The Path of Pain, on the other hand, is utter madness. I didn't get close to beating it.

Obligatory Last FM Link

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:21 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
Nightmare King Grim is insane, but I reached a point where I could beat him multiple times. The Path of Pain, on the other hand, is utter madness. I didn't get close to beating it.

I got him to 25%, once. I've tried a few different charm setups and it really bugs me I have to wear that stupid Grim Child. :lol:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:21 am 

I finally copped SoTN. About 12 bucks on PS4 right now. I know its not a perfect representation of the original but its the best I'm gonna get. Only played may be 15 minutes at 4am and the branching paths were right up my alley.

Also snagged Fez and 99Vidas real cheap.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:08 am 

I just got Kingdom Come: Deliverance from the monthly HumbleBundle pack of games, and I know I'm a bit late to the party, but boy this game is fun.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:33 am 

played for longer, beat false knight on my 2nd attempt, most times i get hurt is because i fall off things i should not be falling off, chasing hornet but have not caught up to her yet

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:34 pm 

I get why everyone loves Symphony of the Night. Never really expected otherwise. The soundtrack bangs. Switching the dialogue to Japanese helped with cutscene credibility. The first boss or mini boss fight I encountered was fun and a little more challenging than I expected. A gargoyle spitting flames and his spear wielding lizard buddy. They got dealt with.

Spamming my secondary weapon is my prime method of cheese right now. Oh and uh, Alucard's walk is real silly. Like an old woman conquering the mall lanes.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:36 pm 

^
Glad you're enjoying it!

Speaking of which, I just beat Bloodstained yesterday! Overall an absolute blast in spite of some jagged flaws which I'm sure could be smoothed out pretty easily. I even played the notorious Switch version and honestly I thought it ran fine in docked mode. Handheld mode is admittedly another story; practically unplayable, so I just never went there. Unfortunate though. Anyway, the game itself is fucking sick and all of you Metroidvania fans should jump on it.

And I know I'm late to the party, but Hollow Knight's up next. Might even start it later today.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:08 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
I just got Kingdom Come: Deliverance from the monthly HumbleBundle pack of games, and I know I'm a bit late to the party, but boy this game is fun.

I've had my eye on this. Reviews have me cautious. There's no fantasy aspects, and you do mundane daily stuff regularly? What do you like about it?

I'm going to start Dragon's Dogma sometime this weekend...or beat Dark Souls NG+, or DS3 NG+3.

Why am I like this? I have too many new games to be replaying these but I digress. :lol:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:05 pm 

Kingdom Come is quite a good game overall, although the fact this 200+ hour game ends on a cliffhanger is kind of insulting. Thankfully the horrific political views of its creator aren't really imparted into the game, unless you find yourself paging through the 10 million page glossary, which you shouldn't. The side quests are probably the best I've seen in a game since Gothic II.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:58 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Spamming my secondary weapon is my prime method of cheese right now. Oh and uh, Alucard's walk is real silly. Like an old woman conquering the mall lanes.

Just backdash the entire game.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:14 am 

Started Hollow Knight yesterday. Only put in about an hour but already exploring around, bought a map and compass and some other trinkets, rescued a couple caterpillars, beat a few minibosses and seemed to have opened up some other area after the most recent one. Fun!

I've also been playing Cuphead whenever my friend brings it over. I swear I'm terrified to buy that game - whenever I play it I bash my head against a boss until I beat it and then look up and realize like three hours have elapsed. I just beat the second island and holy christ that dragon boss (Fiery Frolic?) nearly drove me completely insane. If the bosses get even harder than that I don't know if I can handle it lol.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:06 pm 

i beat hornet after my 5th attempt or so, got very close to losing 900 coins a few times which was stressful

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:19 pm 

Razakel wrote:
I've also been playing Cuphead whenever my friend brings it over. I swear I'm terrified to buy that game - whenever I play it I bash my head against a boss until I beat it and then look up and realize like three hours have elapsed. I just beat the second island and holy christ that dragon boss (Fiery Frolic?) nearly drove me completely insane. If the bosses get even harder than that I don't know if I can handle it lol.

Honestly, in my opinion they don't. I had a fair amount of difficulty beating the devil, but the dragon was the boss that my friend and I had by far the most difficulty beating.

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:39 pm 

Crap that I have been playing recently:

Demon's Crest - 3 days to get 100%, then other 3 days to beat Dark Demon
Little Samson - lovely and underrated game with incredible graphics. Very fluid controls instead of the typical stiffness of NES platformers
Monster World IV - basically Wonder Boy in Monster World with much better graphics and controls, so it's all win

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:31 pm 

how important is it for me to get the lumafly lantern early on?

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:44 pm 

SatanicPotato wrote:

I did the grind to get it, but honestly you can hold off until it's easier to get the geo. You can get pretty far into the game before you need it.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:59 pm 

MaleficDevilry wrote:
SatanicPotato wrote:

I did the grind to get it, but honestly you can hold off until it's easier to get the geo. You can get pretty far into the game before you need it.

thank you i so far i am up to a bit where i have to fight 2 Elder Baldur's, i have encountered one or two area's where i cant see anything yet but there are billions of different places to explore for me right now

Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:50 pm 

Hollow Knight was a game I wanted to like a lot, there was a lot I liked about it in style, atmosphere, music. What killed it for me was losing 20 minutes of progress upon dying, which happened so much it was like retreading my steps became the primary experience, and that's just not fun. A shame, because I liked Ori and the Blind Forest and I'm pretty sure I would like this if they had a different save/checkpoint system.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:02 am 

Were you not using benches regularly? I don't remember ever feeling like I wasted a ton of time, except for that Delicate Flower quest.

Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:28 am 

I don't know. From what I played, the benches were few and far between. Whenever I died in the underground area past the first bench it took me back to there and I lost all my money and progress.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:36 am 

for me there has been a few times when i was having difficulty with a section where i had to do a lot of back tracking, for me it was slightly irritating but not a huge issue but i do understand how much people would get annoyed by that

that said its like dark souls so if you do die once you can always get your money back, just an issue if you die again getting back to it, if you do buy a simple key there is a way so you dont have to go back to the area to get your money back though with this character

https://hollowknight.fandom.com/wiki/Jiji

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:13 am 

Not having enough geo and feeling frustrated about that is really only a problem in the first couple of hours of the game. Really not an issue as you progress.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:31 am 

If you're having to make a very long run back to a boss after dying, you're probably not using the most optimal bench for resting/saving. I feel like they were EVERYWHERE, and the game highly rewards exploration. I'd recommend taking things pretty slow on your first playthrough.

And yeah, you'll be swimming in Geo at certain points in the game, and there isn't much left to purchase at all.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:04 pm 

i played for about 4 hours this morning its just so addictive, i did get frustrated for a bit because of this section in the fungal wastes with a bunch of flying things, and a number of small platforms, but eventually got over that, explored the fungal wastes quite a bit, found a wall jump, and there is a platforming section right near the bench in the queens gardens which has a bunch of tight jumps and at first it seemed impossible about 10 minutes later i completed it, that platforming challenge just felt so rewarding

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 874, 875, 876, 877, 878, 879, 880 ... 940  Next