Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:15 am 

I gave up on Final Fantasy a long time ago.

Even that remake of FFVIII is completely unappealing to me due to the fact that they are splitting up a single game into multiple "episodes". Screw that.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:16 am 

It looks like it might be fun to play, but that Call of Duty-looking motherfucker needs to be gone, like, yesterday.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:48 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
This on the other hand looks pretty bad.

I can't believe they managed to make an action Final Fantasy game tied to the original look so boring, but they managed to do it.

The character design is "blandest action dudebro". The color palette is "darkness and greyness". The action is "DMC wasn't edgelordy enough".

It's like they took all the flaws of FFXV and turned it up to 11.

I hate it, in case it wasn't clear.

I really love the amateurish sounds when the bats attack them at the beginning. It's almost like a parody.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:39 pm 

CHAOS

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:46 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
CHAOS

I don't know why this guy wants to kill Chaos so much.

They're kinda cute.

Radulfr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:09 pm 

Metroid Dread got announced today:

One of my favourite game series. I highly suggest you play these games if you haven't already

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:28 pm 

Metroid Dread looks like Shadow Complex

:oh shit:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:51 pm 

This E3 was a complete disaster. Microsoft is the only company that took it seriously. Nintendo is basically the Apple of videogames at this point. They had nothing to show and they didn't even try to hide it.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:02 pm 

I wouldn't call the first 2D Metroid in almost two decades nothing. But yeah, Nintendo's presentation was mostly a bummer. Awesome to see a new Zelda trailer, but a letdown not to get a title or a release date.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:35 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Metroid Dread looks like Shadow Complex

Holy shit does it ever.

I loved that game with a passion.

I wonder why we never got a sequel?
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:39 am 

E3 is such a shell of what it used to be.

I don't give a flying fuck about the newest handheld game Nintendo is putting out the original Zelda on.

Whenever Playstation does their reveal of games is when I'll start paying attention.

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:08 am 

Elden Ring, Breath of the Wild 2, new Metroid, Shin Megami Tensei V, left 4 dead sequel. I mean there was so much stuff, how the fuck is anyone seriously saying E3 dropped in quality? Of course you're not going to be interested in 90% of what's shown, that's literally every single game expo. Nintendo especially brought a lot on their front, I have no clue what y'all are talking about.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:19 am 

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I'll admit my biases are definitely a big part of this.

Sony isn't involved and I'll never waste money on another Nintendo console again, so I'm probably not being 100% fair.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:04 am 

wraithlike wrote:
Elden Ring, Breath of the Wild 2, new Metroid, Shin Megami Tensei V, left 4 dead sequel. I mean there was so much stuff, how the fuck is anyone seriously saying E3 dropped in quality? Of course you're not going to be interested in 90% of what's shown, that's literally every single game expo. Nintendo especially brought a lot on their front, I have no clue what y'all are talking about.

Well, for starters, Elden Ring wasn't at E3, technically. Breath of the Wild 2 is nice but I don't know, if feels... hollow? Like nothing major was really announced about it.

Sony wasn't there so anyone on Playstation is left out for first party.

Square Enix was a disaster IMO. I don't trust them to do something decent with Guardians of the Galaxy after the disaster of Avengers, and apparently you can only play Starlord... "Hey guys, we're making this videogame about this team of heroes and misfits... but you only get to play the vanilla dude, not the kickass chick, not the weird muscled alien, not the plant guy and especially not the murderous racoon." And we've already talked about the horror that is Stranger of Paradise. They didn't even announce Remake part 2.

I don't care about Ubisoft's Avatar. And I like Ubisoft games like AC and Fenyx, but apparently, for some god-forsaken reason, it's a first person game... why? Makes no sense to me. No other major news.

I'm not sure about Capcom, I guess I missed it? What did they announce beside the predictable Village DLC (without giving much details, too)?

Nintendo played it real safe, it was saved by Metroid.

Even Microsoft, who had the best presentation, played it safe. It was all expected things (Flight Simulator, Psychonauts, Halo, Forza) and a video showing basically no gameplay about Starfield. Which comes out way later than many hoped.

Some indies and games from smaller studios looked more promising.

Speaking of which, many indie demos dropped on Xbox Store. I tried three of them: Sable, Lake and some other game whose title I forgot.

Sable... I wish I could say I loved it. I absolutely adore the graphics. It has a lot of style. But the controls are janky, it feels a bit like a chore. I hope it'll get better, but right now, climbing is clunky, and it's a mechanic that was perfected long ago. The vehicle lacks oomph, and there doesn't seem to have a lot to do. Also ran into some major pop-in and a few bugs, but that could still be ironed out.

Lake is basically a walking simulator. You deliver mail - that's it. However, if you're looking for some relaxing experience, the game is very charming and absolutely beautiful. Technically it's not the best, but it makes up for it with its style.

The last game is an RPG set in the 80s, you play a kid, but I lost interest because, despite the writing, everything seemed like a fetch quest. I need a cone to get the sister, I need two party members to go further down the street, I need to find lights to get to the tree house where I'll find bus ticket needed to go elsewhere... gah. Maybe it's just the beginning but I found it more annoying that anything. Plus the babble sound when characters talk si annoying.

In other, again unrelated news I'm playing Warhammer Chaosbane, or a lesser version of Diablo. I say lesser, but I still have quite a bit of fun. I'm mowing cultists and trying many skill combinations and mowing daemonettes and stuff, I'd say gameplay wise it's close to Diablo 3, withg worse itemization (!), maybe better skills, more repetitive monsters, and better writing, but that's not an endorsement of Chaosbane's writing, more like an indictment of Diablo 3's writing, which is absolutely the stupidest writing I've ever seen in a video game.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:09 am 

Curious_dead wrote:
wraithlike wrote:

Well, for starters, Elden Ring wasn't at E3, technically. Breath of the Wild 2 is nice but I don't know, if feels... hollow? Like nothing major was really announced about it.

Sony wasn't there so anyone on Playstation is left out for first party.

Square Enix was a disaster IMO. I don't trust them to do something decent with Guardians of the Galaxy after the disaster of Avengers, and apparently you can only play Starlord... "Hey guys, we're making this videogame about this team of heroes and misfits... but you only get to play the vanilla dude, not the kickass chick, not the weird muscled alien, not the plant guy and especially not the murderous racoon." And we've already talked about the horror that is Stranger of Paradise. They didn't even announce Remake part 2.

I don't care about Ubisoft's Avatar. And I like Ubisoft games like AC and Fenyx, but apparently, for some god-forsaken reason, it's a first person game... why? Makes no sense to me. No other major news.

I'm not sure about Capcom, I guess I missed it? What did they announce beside the predictable Village DLC (without giving much details, too)?

Nintendo played it real safe, it was saved by Metroid.

Even Microsoft, who had the best presentation, played it safe. It was all expected things (Flight Simulator, Psychonauts, Halo, Forza) and a video showing basically no gameplay about Starfield. Which comes out way later than many hoped.

Some indies and games from smaller studios looked more promising.

Pretty much all of this. We already knew about Elden Ring and it really wasn't an E3 feature. Breath of the Wild 2 and Starfield were really underwhelming and felt like something they just did at the last minute to avoid people saying they don't have any new games to show. We all know neither of those two are probably coming out in 2022, if they were ready we would have seen a lot more gameplay. Starfield will probably just be delayed, nobody wants to be the next Cyberpunk. I have a feeling the same will happen to the new S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

As for Metroid, who really needs a new Metroid in 2021? Specially when it looks as empty and mechanic as this new one. The gameplay has really no soul. Tons of much better metroidvanias out there right now. The lack of Hollow Knight: Silksong was also worrying.

I'm not even going to comment on a new Left 4 Dead Sequel. Nobody really asked for that one.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:17 am 

I do think BotW2 will see the day in 2022. It's basically the same engine as the first one, and they must have been working on it for a while now. Starfield I'm not sure. Bethesda doesn't show a lot of gameplay early from what I remember. And they'll release a buggy game - the issue with Cyberpunk is that it was even buggier than a typical Bethesda game AND that it was running poorly AND that many promised features were cut or downgraded AND that the game was clearly rushed (IIRC there are abilities that are useless as is in the game, like swimming stealth). If the game beneath the bugs had been anything special, people would have overlooked them like they did for Skyrim and Witcher 3. But I also could see it being delayed.

I wished they showed more of Outer Worlds 2 and Avowed.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:32 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:

Holy shit does it ever.

I wonder why we never got a sequel?[/quote]
It wasn't a compliment... that game was completely mediocre. It was only well received because it came out during a time where indie Metroidvanias weren't in full bloom.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:54 am 

Morrigan wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

Holy shit does it ever.

I wonder why we never got a sequel?

It wasn't a compliment... that game was completely mediocre. It was only well received because it came out during a time where indie Metroidvanias weren't in full bloom.[/quote]

Well, it was a compliment from me.

And while I agree with what you said about it coming out at a time where there weren't as many Metroidvanias as there are now, I don't see any reason why that should be held against it.

I have nothing but great memories of that game.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:42 pm 

Same developers did Samus Returns and I was a bit disappointed by that one.

Looking forward to Advance Wars. Not overly fussed on the art style, but the gameplay should be there.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:41 pm 

I thought Shadow Complex was mediocre even back then tbh. Completely boring and soulless.

Dandelo wrote:
Same developers did Samus Returns and I was a bit disappointed by that one.

Lords of Shadow are also uh, not very good. They are supported by incredibly strong art direction which seems absent from Dread. :shrugs: I am not very confident in this one.

Why can't we have something like Hollow Knight or Ori for a new Metroid... :(

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:21 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

Hollow Knight, the two Ori games, and Blasphemous are far and away my favourite Metroidvanias of the last, I dunno, long time. I thought the Metroid Dread trailer looked pretty cool, but I've always been much more of a Castlevania fan than a Metroid fan. Still, I think it's cool Nintendo's doing a new 2D Metroid - I didn't know if we'd ever see another one. Maybe it'll be good. And at least we have IGA doing Bloodstained even if Konami's too lame to do anything with Castlevania. I'd say it's not at all a bad time to be alive for Metroidvania nuts.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:39 am 

I did think the environments looked kinda bland in the Metroid Dread trailer, but this is a type of game where it's the gameplay that shines: world design, items, puzzles, enemies.

Remember: no preorders, no regrets.

Isn't there also a new Metroid Prime in development? I may be in the minority but I preferred the 3D Metroid games than the 2D ones. Though Super Metroid was really, really good.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:14 am 

Razakel wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

Hollow Knight, the two Ori games, and Blasphemous are far and away my favourite Metroidvanias of the last, I dunno, long time. I thought the Metroid Dread trailer looked pretty cool, but I've always been much more of a Castlevania fan than a Metroid fan. Still, I think it's cool Nintendo's doing a new 2D Metroid - I didn't know if we'd ever see another one. Maybe it'll be good. And at least we have IGA doing Bloodstained even if Konami's too lame to do anything with Castlevania. I'd say it's not at all a bad time to be alive for Metroidvania nuts.

Wasn't a great fan of the Ori games (the combat was very lacking) but Hollow Knight is definitely the best one. Axiom Verge is also great.

I was also playing some demos that dropped on Steam and Death Thrash instantly took my attention.

Spoiler: show

https://store.steampowered.com/app/941460/Death_Trash/

I also tried Sable and while it looks astonishing the game felt empty to me. It's like Breath of the Wild without any kind of combat system and I'm worried it'll get boring pretty soon.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:13 pm 

^Death Trash looks pretty cool.

I'll have to remember that one.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:23 am 

This screenshot explains everything I find so mindblowingly frustrating about paradox games - the 'AI' (I imagine a glorified series of IF/THEN statements, like everything called 'AI') has carefully arranged reinforcements in a feeder line (Ottoman / red-with-crescent flag). This is the perfect way to game the combat model. It's very (very) hard for a human to do - so many variables - the 'AI' is programmed to do this as standard; sometimes these conga lines will stretch from (for example) Paris to Madrid. Yes, reinforcing armies can march the length of France to join a batle, because the time/distance model is so strange. In this example, they're marching from Anatolia via Constantinople to Northern Hungary.

It's games like EU4 that make me glad of Jack Daniels and heavy metal :lol:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:53 am 

Death Trash has been on my wishlist for awhile now, very excited that it's getting closer to release. I hadn't seen any "REAL" gameplay until recently and I have to say there's something HYSTERICAL to me about the way the character runs. It looks like Tina Belcher. I'm way into it. Also the title makes me wanna play Sarcofago so that's a bonus.

Hunt the Night is at the tippy top of my most anticipated list. A steam page finally being set up has me ecstatic. There are a million sick games coming up soon but this one looks like it might mix Bloodborne and Hyper Light Drifter in a super satisfying way.

Garlic dropped on Steam a few days ago, it's not exactly what I expected but I'm digging the hell out of it. It's a precision platformer with a lot of style and air-tight controls/handling, essentially a mash-up of Celeste and Mario.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:13 pm 

If you want a good set of Metroid style games, get Guacamelee 1 and 2. Really underappreciated games.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:53 am 

Tried the Death Trash demo but wasn't feeling it honestly. It has a cool aesthetic but the gameplay was a bit boring. Combat was very clunky.

Might pick up Ys IX though. Still not sure between PS5 and PC version...

For now I'm back to Doom Eternal. Currently at the end of the first DLC. This game does not fuck around. :o

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:17 pm 

Doom Eternal is my favourite shooter of all time.

The Ancient Gods on Nightmare was a gauntlet and a half, to be certain.

Can't wait for the next gen update to drop at the end of the month so that I can put another 100 hours in!

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:25 pm 

I haven't played Doom Eternal since it was nerfed a couple of months ago. The developers severely dropped the difficulty, even on Nightmare. When I played it before that, though, it was an absolute riot. Love(d) the game.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:44 am 

If they dropped the difficulty then it sounds like it's a good time for me to pick it back up.

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:39 am 

I wouldn't call it a massive difficulty nerf, at least a few certain parts got noticeably changed in Ancient Gods 1 to be easier. The gameplay hasn't fundamentally changed other than Marauder damage windows being way more obvious with an indicator now.

but if you're having trouble with it I'd honestly recommend just knocking down the difficulty a notch or something

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:11 pm 

I hadn't heard about that.

wraithlike wrote:
The gameplay hasn't fundamentally changed other than Marauder damage windows being way more obvious with an indicator now.

Honestly this seems like a welcome change. Marauders were always annoying to fight in the base game. I only ever played it once on Ultra-Violence and haven't touched the DLCs. I dunno, I had fun with the game but overall I much preferred Doom 2016. I know that seems like an unpopular opinion, I just felt the level designs and combat encounters were more fluid and interesting, and I always wanted to jump back in to find every collectible in every level, which I never felt like doing in Eternal. Can't really put my finger on it, honestly, because a lot of the tweaks in the sequel (especially mobility) were pretty cool.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:15 pm 

Yeah, they certainly didn't massively nerf anything lol. All they did was tweak certain areas that were kind of bullshit in favor of having better and more engaging pacing. TAG 1 is still incredibly difficult on Nightmares in some sections. That being said, if you're the type of person that can handle the Super Gore Nest master level on Nightmare and the fact that they changed up a few encounters in a DLC makes you stop playing, you're a very specific kind of person that I'm not sure I understand.

Can't say I get the Doom 2016 is better camp either. I recently replayed it and it was...fine. I remember thinking it was mind-blowing when it came out but all of the changes Eternal made to the formula have made 2016 sort of redundant.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:55 am 

The people who say Doom 2016 is better are the same people who say "hurr hurr doom is all about mindlessly blasting demons away with my shotgun."

Doom's always been about a combination of fast paced action and resource management. Doom Eternal just found a way to integrate the latter part into your combat abilities.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:59 am 

Adriankat wrote:
The people who say Doom 2016 is better are the same people who say "hurr hurr doom is all about mindlessly blasting demons away with my shotgun."

Well, no, not really sure what makes you say that. I like/love both games, I just like Doom 2016's campaign the most. More than anything I'm just overjoyed that the series is more popular than ever before. Doom 1 and 2 were the first video games I ever played when I was like four or five years old, and I'll definitely be picking up every future game on release day. I don't think we need to criticize people who prefer one to the other. Doom is fucking rad, period.

KayBur
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:55 am 

Razakel wrote:
Adriankat wrote:

Well, no, not really sure what makes you say that. I like/love both games, I just like Doom 2016's campaign the most. More than anything I'm just overjoyed that the series is more popular than ever before. Doom 1 and 2 were the first video games I ever played when I was like four or five years old, and I'll definitely be picking up every future game on release day. I don't think we need to criticize people who prefer one to the other. Doom is fucking rad, period.

Doom is a classic of this genre of games. Of course, like any other game, Doom has his own fans and haters - that's okay.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:56 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
That being said, if you're the type of person that can handle the Super Gore Nest master level on Nightmare and the fact that they changed up a few encounters in a DLC makes you stop playing, you're a very specific kind of person that I'm not sure I understand.

Eh, I suppose I'm a bit hasty. I haven't played it since then, but that could also be because I played it again and again for over a year. :)

Doom 2016 is great if you want to feel like an unstoppable force, particularly the 2nd half of the game.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:58 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I've also got big hopes for the RPG Adventure Rhythm Game Everhood, but haven't tried it yet.

Anyone else play Everhood? The most simplistic explanation would be it's Undertale + Guitar Hero. Except instead of playing the notes coming down the fret board you have to dodge them. It's unbelievably charming, but the difficulty did catch me off guard. I couldn't beat the tutorial until I dropped the difficulty. Had to remind myself I wasn't good at Guitar Hero at first either. The music in this game absolutely rips, and the very simple mechanics available to "dodge" the music notes coming at you feels so clean once you get the hang.

I know I recommend a lot of shit y'all aren't interested in at all but if this has you curious please check out the Steam reviews. Currently sitting at "Overwhelmingly Positive" with 3,060 reviews.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:40 pm 

I always listen to your recommendations and it's not that I'm not interested it's more, "I was stupid enough to buy a MAC", so none of the games you speak of are compatible.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 908, 909, 910, 911, 912, 913, 914 ... 940  Next