Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:54 pm 

Oh it's all good man, I know I come in here with some pretty uh...obscure indie recommendations sometimes. I didn't mean to sound whiny or angsty about it. Everhood really got it's hooks in me the last few days and I was genuinely curious if anyone else here is playing it. There seems to be a new wave of "rhythm games" that do more than just have you press a button in time. The UNBEATABLE [white label] demo seems really special as well, in a very similar vein. Looking forward to playing the full thing.

RainyTheBusinessPerson
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:28 pm 

I've been playing Metroid Fusion for the past few weeks, and I beat it recently. It was really fun, I enjoy the more direct take, even if it can feel a little frustrating not being able to explore certain parts, but I think people sell it short when they call it linear (which isn't even a bad thing by itself anyway, as long as the game is nicely designed around that linearity), actually, you have set objectives, but you're still free to explore within those restrictions, you essentially explore one section at a time, with a little goal to accomplish, and move on to the next one, occasionally going back to previous sections, but it's still super fun and contrasts well with the previous game. Anyway, I love how the game can evoke fear on the player, it's really effective on its light horror approach, and the game obviously wouldn't work in this way if it had as much exploration as the previous games. Not to mention that it would make playing the game in short sessions a little tricky. I think this approach to the formula can work really well, and you could find a sweet spot between the style of Super Metroid and the Fusion style.

Next on the list, Metroid 2! (I feel like you can sense a pattern if you read all my previous posts on this thread lol)
The pit. You know me. I'll be down front tossin' vagina boys like midgets.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:01 am 

Steam sale! What are you guys buying? So far my list is:

Transistor
Titan Souls
The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth
Darksiders III
RE2
Iron Harvest
Death Stranding

Not sure about some of them so if you'd like to recommend me stuff (or tell me how much you hated any of these) I'm open to suggestions.

Currently playing REVIII, really enjoying it so far though it's more of an action game than a survival terror game. Also have DMCV (not sure if I'll finish it, the dialogues and story are pretty dumb) and Nier Replicant (I've only played one hour of the game so far).

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:51 am 

My entire wishlist is on sale, it's so overwhelming. As of right now I only snagged Rogue Legacy 2. May look at a few other cheap pick ups.

Transistor seems so cool. Those aesthetics are every thing. I hope it rules.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:17 pm 

I beat the first DLC of Doom Eternal last night!

Unfortunately, for the Holt Slayer gate, I got so horribly stuck that I had to lower the difficulty to Hurt Me Plenty :( that thing was just cheap and unfair, really.

The DLC's final boss's final phase was also some bullshit and I honestly did not enjoy it at all even if I did manage to beat it on Ultra Violence. When I won, it felt like RNG rather than skill. I do like these games but that part was obnoxious.

Started part 2 and it seems easier so far? I did have quite the frantic encounter in the "2nd wave escalating encounter" they added, but the way the map was designed + the new tool they give you with that Hammer thing made it more manageable. Compared to the Holt Slayer gate which was cramped with no space to run at times, had me stuck in geometry all the time, etc., it wasn't so bad. I did lose 1 life, but I beat it on first try, which impressed HellBlazer since he spent hours on that one. :lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:28 pm 

Yeah, boss fights in Doom 2016 and Eternal have not been particularly good in general. The Icon of Sin especially disappointed me, since there was so much build-up and I just knew it had to be coming, given that the game is such a soft reboot of Doom 2. Just a totally tedious, unfun way to end such a fast-paced, blistering game.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:03 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
The DLC's final boss's final phase was also some bullshit and I honestly did not enjoy it at all even if I did manage to beat it on Ultra Violence. When I won, it felt like RNG rather than skill. I do like these games but that part was obnoxious.

Yeah, that final phase is an absolute bastard. I've never beaten it on anything higher than Hurt Me Plenty, so good job.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Callum_Carcass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:13 am 

I recently got the platinum trophy for Sekiro and did all the gauntlets, minus the very last one. That game might be the best one I've ever played - to the point where everything else feels kind of pale by comparison.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:31 pm 

I'm now at the final boss of Ancient Gods Part 2 and this shit is exhausting. Had to quit for the night last night because I wasn't getting anywhere.

I got close once, where his health (final tick of health too) was low, but had a string of bad luck/RNG and a few minor mistakes that made him refill his ENTIRE HP bar, resetting all the progress I had, and then of course I eventually died. Then in later attempts I didn't even get to half of his first health bar (the checkpoint saves at every 2 ticks of HP) so I kind of rage quit for now.

The fact that the boss heals himself (by quite a lot, too) when he so much as grazes you with his sword or shield is frustrating enough, but if removing that mechanic made the boss too easy, could you at least segment the health bar so that he can't recover it ALL eventually? The fight isn't THAT hard, but the single only opening is when the green sword flash appears, and that attack is extremely rare. By the time he does it again, a few minor mistakes and/or sketchy hitboxes means he can have recovered EVERYTHING. This whole thing makes for a long, drawn out battle that isn't really hard, just extremely tedious.

In a way, it might be even worse than Icon of Sin, because while that was also long and drawn out and tedious, at least there was "proper" moment to moment Doom combat loop in there instead of just waiting and waiting for that goddamn green flash.

Ugh. Yes I'm salty. But that boss sucks, almost as much (maybe more?) than the Ancient Gods Part 1 boss, and those bosses really sour me on the game, which I initially considered better than 2016.

Callum_Carcass wrote:
I recently got the platinum trophy for Sekiro and did all the gauntlets, minus the very last one. That game might be the best one I've ever played - to the point where everything else feels kind of pale by comparison.

Congrats!

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:02 pm 

Yeah TAG2's final boss is pretty lame. What it really should've been is a classic lightning fast deathmatch duel against the other guy.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:56 pm 

All done.

I even went back to beat the Holt Slayer Gate on UV lol... what can I say, it bothered me. I put the game on Easy to speedrun to it, reached the gate, then switched the Ultra Violence... went in with 2 lives (same as last time really, I just happened to lose them super fast on my initial attempt) and a bit more rockets so I could take out the Archviles much faster, and beat it on first try, but it took all my lives and a lot of close calls. But fuck it, I'll take it. :P

I still don't like the DLC bosses. The 2nd DLC final boss would have been much better with a segmented HP bar. It'd still be a battle of attrition where you need to use your arsenal smartly, without being so frustrating. Oh well. It's done!

...Now what to play next...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:53 am 

You guys are good to play on anything above normal difficulty. I thought normal in Doom 2016 was just fine (though the bosses were easy compared to the levels - but that's how I prefer my difficulty balance), and just a bit hard in Eternal (which I haven't finished yet).

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:33 am 

I actually like the Samur boss fight. It's definitely frustrating and took me infinite tries, but it's a lot of fun. It's a great endcap to the hardest DLC in the game. Many, many people complained it was too difficult, which is why TAG part 2 is significantly easier. That Holt slayer gate was actually nerfed, too. I remember trying to beat it in its initial form and it was ridiculous.

I 100% agree that the Dark Lord sucks ass as a final boss though. Just all around a weak fight, but I can't really blame ID. They did their best to get it out as fast as possible after switching to working from home.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:16 pm 

Steam Summer Sale check in. Anyone else make a few purchases?

In addition to Rogue Legacy 2 I picked up Dark Light, Undertale (finally own this, never played it), and Virgo Versus the Zodiac. RL2 has been kicking my ass though, honestly. For no other reason besides the dodge doesn't have i-frames and I'm beyond struggling to wrap my head around that. Just keep dodging INTO attacks and enemies. Whoops.

Dark Light is a gorgeous futuristic mish mash of Dead Cells and 2D Soulslike. The gameplay loop is very similar to Dead Cells, but you have a stamina bar to manage. I'm way way into the look of the game and it seems SUPER highly reviewed for still being in Early Access. Looking forward to seeing what they make of it. Virgo Versus the Zodiac is an RPG that's been on my "to-do" list for awhile but I haven't started yet. For fans of turn based RPG games with timing elements. Mario RPG, Underhero, that good shit.

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:31 am 

From the Steam sale I did pick up Half Life Alyx. Played the old Half Life games to completion not long ago, they hold up well and I'm excited for this. Hopefully this will be a VR title to really sink my teeth into, rather than just be a toy you play with for a few minutes and then forget.

Also purchased Resident Evil 1 remake, was so deeply enamoured with Resident Evil Village and felt like going back to some titles I've missed, as 4 and 7 were the only one I'd played to completion in the past.

Close to pulling the trigger on Dying Light, but god that backlog of mine is just too much at the moment.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:58 am 

Got Baldur's Gate II Enhanced (since I really enjoyed replaying the first one, so why not) & The Pillars of the Earth - been meaning to grab that for a while, and an 85% discount is all the encouragement I need !

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:24 pm 

So far only grabbed Northgard which I've never heard of before, but looks like a realyl cool RTS with more sim/civ elements and with a Nordic theme so right up my alley.

I've pretty much got everything I wanted recently on various sales and I have way too many games to play right now, so I don't think I'm getting more unless something really grabs my attention.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:16 pm 

Methuen wrote:
Got Baldur's Gate II Enhanced (since I really enjoyed replaying the first one, so why not) & The Pillars of the Earth - been meaning to grab that for a while, and an 85% discount is all the encouragement I need !

Or you could combine the two and play Pillars of Eternity and its sequel!

Seriously though, check out Pathfinder: Kingmaker sometime. It's about 80% an RPG that can hold its own against the classics, and 20% a very enjoyable kingdom management simulator. It's one of the best games ever made imo.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:04 pm 

I really didn't care for Eternal. 2016 was a way more fun game for me.

oilerfan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:47 pm 

I decided to install the Dead Space trilogy on my series X. Wow, aside from some blurry textures on Isaac when the camera is close up, the graphics hold up quite well. The first hour or so is heavily influenced by Doom 3. Gameplay is solid, but unspectacular. Last time I played it was in 2008, and I forgot the majority of the game, so it's almost like playing a new game. I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10. It seems that EA is introducing a remake of the first. Knowing EA, they'll screw it up.

twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:01 pm 

oilerfan wrote:
I decided to install the Dead Space trilogy on my series X. Wow, aside from some blurry textures on Isaac when the camera is close up, the graphics hold up quite well. The first hour or so is heavily influenced by Doom 3. Gameplay is solid, but unspectacular. Last time I played it was in 2008, and I forgot the majority of the game, so it's almost like playing a new game. I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10. It seems that EA is introducing a remake of the first. Knowing EA, they'll screw it up.

I really hope Microsoft uses their FPS Boost technology on the Dead Space series! 60FPS would be nice.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:31 pm 

Sort of a hot take but I liked 3 better than 2. The first game is still the best.

oilerfan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:04 am 

I'm about to finish the first Dead Space and will do the second one right after. It's been so long since I played them, it's almost like playing a brand new game. I played through each game at launch, then shelved them.

Another pretty decent series is Metro. I'm playing through Metro Exodus. Incredible detail and atmosphere in the environment. The game starts of pretty slow, but really gets going once you reach the cannibals.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:25 pm 

Loved the first 2 Dead Space. 3 was ok, but far from the abomination some people claim.

Also loved the first 2 Metro. Great setting. Wasn't there a 3rd one released not long ago? If so I need to try it for sure.
Fire walk with me"

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:08 pm 

It's funny that you guys mentioned Metro. I'm replaying Last Light currently. It's great.

oilerfan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:28 pm 

All of the Metro games are great, in my opinion. One of the more slower paced shooters. I like the stealth vs. action options for many of the firefights. The only thing I find annoying is listening to Col. Miller in Exodus. Also, there's a lot of talking in the game. There are so many times when you are trying to hear some dialog and someone cuts in on the radio while you're trying to listen.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:07 am 

FFIX vs Grandia II

Go. And no, you can't pick another, one of those two! I have my reasons.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:56 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
FFIX vs Grandia II

Go. And no, you can't pick another, one of those two! I have my reasons.

Final Fantasy IX. By far. Not only is it the best game in the Final Fantasy series, but it may well be the best RPG on the PS1, period.

Grandia II is pretty good, but...well, it's just that. Pretty good.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:01 am 

oilerfan wrote:
All of the Metro games are great, in my opinion. One of the more slower paced shooters. I like the stealth vs. action options for many of the firefights. The only thing I find annoying is listening to Col. Miller in Exodus. Also, there's a lot of talking in the game. There are so many times when you are trying to hear some dialog and someone cuts in on the radio while you're trying to listen.

I started playing Exodus some time ago but I put it down and haven't picked it back up again. The graphics and story are really good, but the combat was slow and I kept running out of ammo and losing my place on the map. If I play it again I'll restart the entire game at a lower difficulty setting.

I have many games to continue, so I generally avoided the Steam summer sale. However I did purchase Killing Floor 2, so we'll see if that's any good whenever I get a chance to play it.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:11 am 

I am full on obsessed with Demon's Souls all over again.

I never feel like I get the good weapon in this game. I'm always leveling garbage (short sword) up to 10, because I never know what my "playing style" is.

And the World Tendency has fucked me out of the Dragon Bone Smasher, because I died too many times fighting the Flamelurker and using Stone of Ephemeral eyes to get that extra bit of health.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:17 am 

If you have any tolerance at all for anime tropes, you guys should give Scarlet Nexus a try. It's an action lite-RPG where you play a telekineticist. The fights are really a joy, and it only gets better as you gain more moves and allies. And it looks great, the only caveat being the comic book cutscenes that look a bit dated, but the important scenes are animated, and the extra attention to environments and fights more than make up for it. It's also quite meaty, you have two characters with different paths and different teammates for most of the game, and the story is full of twists: betrayals, reveals, secrets, it's a really over-the-top anime story. The environments are great - I was afraid you'd spend all your time in decrepit city areas like Code Vein but they mix it up real nice, and the use of color in particular is excellent. I expected a 7-7.5 type of game, but I might end up giving it a 8.5 or even 9.

Also, some reviews claim the game is extremely easy on hard. Not sure what they're fucking smoking, but while it's not a hard game, some bosses aren't a walk in the park even on normal, a single combo can bring you from full to almost nothing if you're not careful. It gets easier as you gain abilities, but it's also more satisfying to mix sword attacks with throwing cars at the enemy as you progress.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:35 am 

I saw some videos of Scarlet Nexus and it looked fun enough to give it a try.

Quote:
I was afraid you'd spend all your time in decrepit city areas like Code Vein but they mix it up real nice, and the use of color in particular is excellent.

I got bored with Code Vein pretty quickly and never thought about it, but that probably had something to do with it.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:03 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
I saw some videos of Scarlet Nexus and it looked fun enough to give it a try.

Quote:
I was afraid you'd spend all your time in decrepit city areas like Code Vein but they mix it up real nice, and the use of color in particular is excellent.

I got bored with Code Vein pretty quickly and never thought about it, but that probably had something to do with it.

Same here, I couldn't finish Code Vein. The story was dull and the environments repetitive and dull.

Currently playing RE2 (the remake) and it's great but there's something I don't get. I've seen a lot of praise for the game's graphics and they are definitely OK but not as good as I was expecting. Not sure where was this coming from but particularly the textures feel a bit dated and it doesn't look impressive from a technical standpoint. Some of the faces and expressions look a bit weird and there are weird refractions on some surfaces. Playing it on PC with graphics on high (not maxed because I couldn't find much difference and I'd rather have the CPU and GPU a bit colder now that it's the summer here), etc.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:38 am 

I really didn't like how the knife breaks in the RE2 remake. I played earlier Resident Evil games and I don't need an endless supply of ammo to enjoy the game, but taking away something as basic as a knife along with having to die repeatedly to change the difficulty killed my interest in the game at the time, but I need to get back.

BloodMoonRising
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:58 am 

I think RE2 graphics are great, and was particularly impressed by facial animations, which felt really natural. Also, sure, the game doesn't have 8k textures or whatnot, (not to mention the shitty anti-aliasing which blurs the textures even more), and there are some glitchy reflections here and there, but the whole package felt like such an eye candy, and made me enjoy the game that much more.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:22 pm 

Just finished it playing with Claire and it was great. Don't take me wrong, the graphics were good and it was definitely a pleasant game to play. I just don't understand the high praise it got on release for being groundbreaking and "next gen" looking. It's a perfectly fine game anyway, just surprised, that's all.

I personally didn't mind the knife breaking as much as I though I would, I ended up with 2-3 spare knifes. I think they made them breakable because having unlimited knifes made zombies grabbing you less scary. This way you couldn't abuse that mechanic.

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:52 pm 

for any gluttons for punishment that new Doom Eternal master level (Taras Nabad) was really something

It's over a year into this game now and I'm still finding myself discovering things in the game. They keep putting together these ridiculous new challenges that force me to figure out new ways to approach situations.

Ball Cupper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:14 am 

Damn, this Cruelty Squad game is bonkers. I love it

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:48 pm 

I have been playing a lot of Wasteland 3. I pretty made it to the end and found out I could customize my crew. I restarted from scratch, with a new custom crew.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:11 pm 

Ball Cupper wrote:
Damn, this Cruelty Squad game is bonkers. I love it

I missed it on the sale but the Steam page speaks to me so heavily. Waiting on the next discount.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 909, 910, 911, 912, 913, 914, 915 ... 940  Next