Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:37 am 

For the first few hours, yeah, it is very God of War like. But it gets so much better after that, because it borrows heavily from other games and in some instances, improves on those. I haven't played the second one yet, but the first is a great game. It also has a great ending.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:40 am 

Folkemon_ wrote:
I gotta admit I have a soft spot for April she's cute and funny and has a great ass.

Erm... yeah, ok, not her then. :P

Dandelo wrote:
For the first few hours, yeah, it is very God of War like. But it gets so much better after that, because it borrows heavily from Zelda

FTFY.

Agreed with Marag that Darksiders was pretty boring. It's just such a shameless clone of God of War and Zelda that it was kinda painful. Maybe Darksiders II is better, I dunno...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:04 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Dandelo wrote:
For the first few hours, yeah, it is very God of War like. But it gets so much better after that, because it borrows heavily from Zelda

FTFY.

Agreed with Marag that Darksiders was pretty boring. It's just such a shameless clone of God of War and Zelda that it was kinda painful. Maybe Darksiders II is better, I dunno...

I'm with y'all on that one. There wasn't a single original idea to be found within that game, it crossed that sort of indefinable line between homage/inspiriation and thievery. I mean... a blue and orange portal gun? Really?
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:03 pm 

The Grey Half-life mod...is....wowza.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:43 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Folkemon_ wrote:
I gotta admit I have a soft spot for April she's cute and funny and has a great ass.

Erm... yeah, ok, not her then. :P

Dont take that the wrong way, shes not sexualised at all her but her ass looks pretty big lol, if you played the game you'd realise how awesome she is personallity wise.

Heres what i mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=SPC7F ... age#t=239s

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:47 am 

I think FFXIII-2 will be the first game I haven't finished in a while. This game is a mess.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:15 am 

HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT

http://www.blackmesasource.com/

!!!!!!!!!!!!

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:22 am 

Dandelo wrote:
I think FFXIII-2 will be the first game I haven't finished in a while. This game is a mess.

Not even Laura Bailey's beautiful voice and Serah's cleavage can keep you going?!

It must really be a mess.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:11 am 

I've got good news for everyone. Another Final Fantasy XIII game is coming out. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH6UMTcuau4

Probably gonna have to steer clear of anything related to Square, including games made by its former employees. I was reading about The Last Story here and it's a real shame that it's not that good. I was browsing reviews and it seems to just be set in generic cities or on boats, have boring characters, and is really an uninspired design.

The good JRPGs end with Chronicles, Xenoblade and Valkyria.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:40 am 

More XIII, just what we wanted. Yippee fuckadooie.

At this point I could give a shit about Versus if it ever came out either, or... how about anything Square Enix develops. They blow chunks. I've accepted it and am moving on. All their good old developers aren't there anymore.

Yeah I'm a few hours into The Last Story and really not digging it much. Awkward is the word I think. The dialogue/humor is insanely bad, the music is probably the most underwhelming Uematsu score I've ever heard, and the combat system is a complete train wreck. I hear everyone says it's only 20 hours long too, for better or worse I guess. But I don't know if I have the drive to go on at all. The characters are flatter than flat. I'm not even going to compare it to Xenoblade.

Overall Mistwalker seems to be kind of hit or miss to me as well. Lost Odyssey was alright, but as standard as it gets. etc

Speaking of Xenoblade, the ACE+ music group that did like 70% of the music... I looked into them and all they've done before this is some weird MMO. Damn, I really hope they're just getting started and Monolith-Soft keeps them around. It's semi fresh for JRPG music, and just amazing stuff, would love to hear more of them. Here's some cool tracks off that MMO I found:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz3MJy3MjlI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gKlqJXIDVQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWx1xESUbGo

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:56 am 

Does anybody remember the Gothic games for the PC? not talking about that shitty new-ish one that came out for the 360 a year or so ago, the really old ones from like 2000-2002? I still play the first two occasionally (thanks to my old ass windows 98 that still hasn't just fuckin died on me)

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:06 pm 

So Slender has a sequel.

Slender Man's Shadow. It's alright, the lvel design is pretty dece.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:12 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I'm with y'all on that one. There wasn't a single original idea to be found within that game, it crossed that sort of indefinable line between homage/inspiriation and thievery. I mean... a blue and orange portal gun? Really?

You can say that, but how many 100% "original" games can you name?
I, for example, enjoyed the portals mechanic in Darksiders (and especially Darksiders II) way more than in Portal. In fact - brace yourselves! - I found Portal quite boring as a standalone. It's a truly great concept, however it can't hold a full game based on it in my opinion.

But yeah, coloring the portals blue and orange in the original Darksiders was quite cheeky. That's probably why...
...the portals in Darksiders II are colored only in blue. They also directly reference the original Portal in the appropriate achievement title.

On another note - finally got around playing some Dark Souls today. Can't say I'm highly impressed, but I'm hooked enough to continue.

EDIT: Whoa, 6 hours in, virtually zero progress, and at the same time - the only thing the game has challenged so far is my patience. Either I'm doing something completely wrong, or you guys are lunatics.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Last edited by yentass on Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:15 pm 

I definitely couldn't get into Darksiders myself for reasons others mentioned. I really don't like its artstyle at all either.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:21 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Dandelo wrote:

Not even Laura Bailey's beautiful voice and Serah's cleavage can keep you going?!

It must really be a mess.

Okay I've been out of the loop since XI bored me to death but I'm shocked they are pulling the same card they did with X-2 again.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:46 pm 

I'm almost finished with Spec Ops: The Line(i'm at chapter 13 right now). I really wanted to enjoy this game more, it has a good, interesting story in a genre that is satured with trite bullshit, great character progression, beautiful environments, a feeling of tension and urgency that few other games have as you control the main character through his descent into madness. But sadly those are the only things that keep me going through this game. I think cover based shooters are mostly boring, and this game is no different, except that here you also have crappy controls and A.I. which makes it even more frustrating. I'm only motivated to grind through this lame gameplay because I'm really engaged in the story, because otherwise I would have dropped this game halfway through it.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:15 pm 

Anyone like Megaman X-X3 music? (Shit I know I do it got me into metal when I was 8.) This dude has been remixing some and making a whole bunch of new ones (for some weird fan game I don't care for) but the tunes are sick and sound right out of that time period and those games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVf4YVT- ... re=related
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:29 pm 

I definitely don't care about Darksiders "stealing" from other games. It doesn't matter as long as it works. Stealing was the modus operandi for art in general until in the 17th century some jurists invented "originality" (aka copyright) which has been massively overrated ever since. And making the portals any other colors than blue and orange would maybe have been stealing, this way it's an obvious citation.

juicebitch wrote:
HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT

http://www.blackmesasource.com/

!!!!!!!!!!!!

*shrieks like a little girl*
:hyper:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:39 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Anyone like Megaman X-X3 music? (Shit I know I do it got me into metal when I was 8.) This dude has been remixing some and making a whole bunch of new ones (for some weird fan game I don't care for) but the tunes are sick and sound right out of that time period and those games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVf4YVT- ... re=related

This is no SSH, but pretty cool nonetheless.

If you haven't, look up all the music for the fan game Megaman X Corrupted. This stuff is freaking amazing:
http://youtu.be/wWSgze_kQuU
http://youtu.be/tdoRRKcDOj8
http://youtu.be/-PsdAttGfWQ
http://youtu.be/nhMgPek06JY
http://youtu.be/dwKN9rSryhY

Absolutely insane. EDIT: Oh, haha same guy. Well, I like these ones a lot more that actually sound like they were made on the SNES hardware, kickass.

The game sounds awesome on paper. Metroid styled Megaman? Hopefully it really does come out sometime.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:14 am 

I've never played any of the Jagged Alliance games, but I'm installing 2. Looks kinda like Fallout 1/2 combat-wise and stuff? Don't know if that's accurate, but it looks fun.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

satanic_neumann
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:07 am 

Diamhea wrote:
Anyone like Megaman X-X3 music?

Love em! All fans of Megaman X check out this massive OCremix package. "The album features 62 tracks by 49 artists in a collection of 5 discs totaling over 4 1/2 hours of ReMixes from nearly every game in the series, including bonus tracks."

There is approved torrent available on the site. Lots of different music styles, i've listened this more or less for a few months now.

http://maverick.ocremix.org/

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:41 am 

I've really been digging Warhammer on PS3 lately, I'd have never given a game with a cover like that the time of day if it wasn't for Playstation Plus, it just screamed extra loose, virginity protected sweat pants.

Also, totally agree on how shameless Darksiders has ripped off God Of War, one of my favorite series.
The thing that shat me the most about that game was how the main character flies, what the hell is up with that?
Also, that art style is just a huge cluster fuck of awful in my eyes.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:52 am 

Nahsil wrote:
I've never played any of the Jagged Alliance games, but I'm installing 2. Looks kinda like Fallout 1/2 combat-wise and stuff? Don't know if that's accurate, but it looks fun.

Only played a bit of both the two games, but it's what I wish the Fallout combat was like. It's way better.

odinofasgard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:23 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
So Slender has a sequel.

Slender Man's Shadow. It's alright, the lvel design is pretty dece.

I'm downloading it right now! The first game scared the shit outta me.
Kahalachan wrote:
I've got good news for everyone. Another Final Fantasy XIII game is coming out. :lol:

I tried playing FFXIII but was really disappointed. I felt like I was doing the same thing over and over.
Jackoroth wrote:
I've really been digging Warhammer on PS3 lately, I'd have never given a game with a cover like that the time of day if it wasn't for Playstation Plus, it just screamed extra loose, virginity protected sweat pants.

I also got that on PS+. I didn't think it was amazing but it was alright. It kind of felt like Gears of War on PS3 though.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:41 pm 

satanic_neumann wrote:
Diamhea wrote:
Anyone like Megaman X-X3 music?

Love em! All fans of Megaman X check out this massive OCremix package. "The album features 62 tracks by 49 artists in a collection of 5 discs totaling over 4 1/2 hours of ReMixes from nearly every game in the series, including bonus tracks."

There is approved torrent available on the site. Lots of different music styles, i've listened this more or less for a few months now.

http://maverick.ocremix.org/

Cool stuff ;) How are the X4 tracks on that compilation?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:48 pm 

Jackoroth wrote:
Also, totally agree on how shameless Darksiders has ripped off God Of War, one of my favorite games.

FTFY

Darksiders "ripped off" basically everything from Dune to Zelda, and I still don't get what's supposed to be the problem with it.

Quote:
The thing that shat me the most about that game was how the main character flies, what the hell is up with that?

What's up with it is that he doesn't fly.

Quote:
Also, that art style is just a huge cluster fuck of awful in my eyes.

Please stop having opinions.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:31 pm 

re: Darksiders - Yeah yeah, the game is an amalgamation of ripped off ideas. At least they're relatively good ideas. The apparent accusation is that it's a mash-up of God of War and Zelda. So... essentially they took God of War and made it better? What is everyone complaining about? It's not amazing or anything, certainly the execution could have been better and their influences a bit less obvious, but it's an alright game.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:02 pm 

I don't think it's anywhere near as good as the God of War games. Those games had an increasing sense of scale, epicness, and fun. I couldn't even finish Darksiders when I rented it. It's just poorly executed rip off hack and slash ideas with a terrible art direction.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:16 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
re: Darksiders - Yeah yeah, the game is an amalgamation of ripped off ideas. At least they're relatively good ideas. The apparent accusation is that it's a mash-up of God of War and Zelda. So... essentially they took God of War and made it better? What is everyone complaining about? It's not amazing or anything, certainly the execution could have been better and their influences a bit less obvious, but it's an alright game.

The biggest problem was that it was kinda boring. The rip-off is just icing on the cake, a groaner I guess.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:57 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Quote:

What's up with it is that he doesn't fly?

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=OpCgAkzUYrQ

Please use your fan boyism on a game that is actually good, no one is impressed that you 'enjoy' a game that no one else does.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:21 pm 

That's not flying.
And what the hell are you talking about? :???:
I did enjoy the game, but it's not fucking Bolt Thrower or something I actually care about.

It's just you uttering hyperbolic statements which kinda starts to annoy me.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:39 am 

Anyone here play Dungeon Siege 3 or Dark Souls on xbox live?

satanic_neumann
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:29 am 

Remember guys that God of War is a Devil May Cry/Ninja Gaiden/Castlevania (LoI) rip-off. Its okay to rip-off if its done well, I only played first Darksiders demo and it was fun yes, reminded me more of Zelda than GoW.

rexxz wrote:

Cool stuff ;) How are the X4 tracks on that compilation?

Cant remember any certain tracks but there's plenty of X4 tracks too. Personally i like almost everything in this compilation so i'm not right person to answer that, haha!

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:58 pm 

Jackoroth wrote:
Please use your fan boyism on a game that is actually good, no one is impressed that you 'enjoy' a game that no one else does.

He's not the only one who enjoyed the game though (see my post up there). The gaming forum I frequent has a whole bunch of people who played the game from start to finish and loved it. The series has a lot of people interested in it.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:32 pm 

Personally I generally tend to hate any Zelda-esque game that isn't Zelda. And although I enjoyed God of War 1-2, I hardly love them. So Darksiders was just a recipe of something I'd hate for sure. :lol:

I'd say God of War ripped off Rygar (PS2) the most. Not that it was amazing either, but the similarities are pretty striking.

I've always enjoyed Japanese action games more. Xbox Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, the Onimusha series, and all that great stuff that doesn't exist anymore.

God of War 3, Castlevania LoI, anything by the Heavenly Sword devs, etc damn that stuff puts me to sleep. There's like two combos in these games, QTE's out the ass, and you always have giant whip weapons that do twisters around the entire screen. So boring!

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:44 pm 

Xeogred wrote:

God of War 3, Castlevania LoI, anything by the Heavenly Sword devs, etc damn that stuff puts me to sleep. There's like two combos in these games, QTE's out the ass, and you always have giant whip weapons that do twisters around the entire screen. So boring!

Agreed. FUCK those qte's and whip weapons and shit. I'll take DMC and Onimusha over those games any day.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:56 pm 

All those games pretty much bore me nowadays. The first God of War was above average, sure, but the series just got annoying and button smashers are just coma-inducing now.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Archi
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:09 am 

T51b wrote:
Just released God of War 3 trailer!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/45513.html

All of the awesome cannot even begin to be put into words. Going to take a wild swing and assume this is the trailer Jaffe saw behind closed doors that made him give the game so much praise.

This game has already broke my previous record hype for games (originally MGS4) it is going to be painful in the coming months getting bits and pieces of this game and not being able to play it.

Here is a summary of the video for those who cannot be bothered to watch it.

Quote:
The surly warrior is shown racing through a forest and tearing through hordes of skeletal warriors. His brutal assault highlights one of the new moves in the game, grabbing an enemy and using them as a battering ram. The assault looks to be effective and painful. When a Cyclops joins the fray, Kratos improvises and hops onto the monster's back, using it as a not entirely willing mount. Kratos doesn't seem to be too concerned with how the Cyclops feels as he forcibly guides it through mobs of foes by stabbing and hacking at it. As the trailer winds down, the landscape goes wobbly as Kratos struggles with the Cyclops and leaps off it onto a passing harpy. The camera pulls back to show that the "forest" he's been fighting on is actually the back of a titan which is climbing to Mount Olympus. The trailer doesn't leave much to the imagination when it comes to what to expect next: an epic and bloody battle.

And here also is a write up Gamespot did that details all the gameplay they were shown.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/godo ... ews&page=1

"If all on Olympus will deny me my vengeance, then all on Olympus will die!"

I had played this game but only for a little time. I don't have this game. Will you plz tell me that from which site I can get this game?

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:21 am 

I had God of War 3 a while back. It's really good, really hard, and stupidly violent. Give it a whack.

I loved Space Marine (someone mentioned it earlier). The final boss is a humongous let down, mind (looks awesome, but it's impossible to lose)

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:07 am 

Morrigan wrote:
All those games pretty much bore me nowadays. The first God of War was above average, sure, but the series just got annoying and button smashers are just coma-inducing now.

But, but... the Arkhams?
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 438, 439, 440, 441, 442, 443, 444 ... 940  Next