Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:12 am 

I was an Infiltrator, so once I figured out that there was no end to the enemies I just stealthed through easily :lol:

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:38 am 

God dammit, lost my second hardcore character in Path of Exile. Level 37 ice/fire witch. First I lost was a level 36 elemental melee templar.

They're just transferred to default league when they die, but it's still a sad occasion. I miss the thrill of hardcore, but I'm tired of losing people, not sure whether I should keep doing it or not.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:29 pm 

Speaking of Mass Effect, I just beat Virmire and

Spoiler: show
Holy shit, I was not expecting Wrex to lose his shit and get shot by Ashley at first - Unfortunately I hadn't done any of the options that would have let him back down. While I normally try to play RPGs that allow character death straight through, I had way too much gameplay fun with him as a squad member - He would always tank while Garrus sniped and I layed down biotics - that I didn't want to reorganize my squad layout. Thankfully my last save was right before I leveled and I had the chance to get enough charm points that I could make him step down.

But I had no problem with letting Kaidan bite it in the AA tower, hahaha.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:12 pm 

Mass Effect kind of forces you to min/max paragon and renegade scores to be able to hit those colored decisions. It's not a problem in Mass Effect so much since you can just dump points into that system, but in the following games, it's all driven by actual conversation choices, not a point system, so it forces you to either hit a full paragon or full renegade if you want those extra choice options at key points.

It's a bit frustrating, but Mass Effect 2 is such a ridiculously good game, it almost doesn't matter.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:30 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Speaking of Mass Effect, I just beat Virmire and

Holy shit, I was not expecting Wrex to lose his shit and get shot by Ashley at first - Unfortunately I hadn't done any of the options that would have let him back down. While I normally try to play RPGs that allow character death straight through, I had way too much gameplay fun with him as a squad member - He would always tank while Garrus sniped and I layed down biotics - that I didn't want to reorganize my squad layout. Thankfully my last save was right before I leveled and I had the chance to get enough charm points that I could make him step down.

But I had no problem with letting Kaidan bite it in the AA tower, hahaha.

Literally EVERYONE I know gets rid of Kaidan. Must be Carth Onasi Syndrome...

Definitely get Mass Effect 2 though. Great downloadable content, cool characters, and the enemies look REALLY evil.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:50 pm 

Agreed on getting 2. It's my favorite out of the three. The character collecting and final mission + prep made it such a cool game. Then again, I toyed with the settings to balance things in my favor after repeated default gameplays. Expect bugs if you get all the DLC, as I have with my game.
I always kill Kaidan off at Virmire, too. It just feels wrong killing off Ash for some reason.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:07 am 

KOTOR II was my favorite.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:52 am 

When I finally did play Mass Effect 1, I had much more fun with Ashley, pulling rank when she makes snarky remarks about aliens/Liara/etc.

As far as game play goes though, it was easily the weakest of the three.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:52 am 

Anyone who chooses Kaiden over Ashley is not sane.

I beat Dust, the last section of the game is a slog, but a big thumbs up from me otherwise.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:51 pm 

I haven't even played ME2 yet but from what I've seen (of a friend playing it) it looks amazing; everything seems so dark and cinematic. Probably going to go through a significant chunk more of 1 this weekend, though from what I've heard the main quest is huge enough that I won't be done for a while.

norcalslayings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:32 pm 

Still playing Dark Souls..on my 2nd playthrough on my second character.
I am clearly addiceted..
Caravans’ stoned deliverance"-Sleep's Dopesmoker

LO FI GRIND- http://alaskanpipelinesgrinds.bandcamp.com/

norcalslayings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:32 pm 

Still playing Dark Souls..on my 2nd playthrough on my second character.
I am clearly addiceted..
Caravans’ stoned deliverance"-Sleep's Dopesmoker

LO FI GRIND- http://alaskanpipelinesgrinds.bandcamp.com/

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:00 am 

Lost another Path of Exile hardcore character. AHHHHHHHHHH so frustrating. But I'm starting again. Shadows are fucking awesome, tons of damage, great evasion ratings, and if you get lots of life nodes you'll be set.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:44 pm 

Dandelo wrote:

The problem with Ashley is that they kind of turn her into a ridiculous-looking bimbo in the third game. In the first game she has her hair in a professional bun as befits a soldier, but then she just wears it down all the time? And I swear her boobs triple in size, it's ridiculous. It's just really irritating that they basically take a serious female character and turn her into blatant eye candy. That said, Kaiden is still really fucking boring.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:47 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Dandelo wrote:

The problem with Ashley is that they kind of turn her into a ridiculous-looking bimbo in the third game. In the first game she has her hair in a professional bun as befits a soldier, but then she just wears it down all the time? And I swear her boobs triple in size, it's ridiculous. It's just really irritating that they basically take a serious female character and turn her into blatant eye candy. That said, Kaiden is still really fucking boring.

Serious character? Man, I thought she was a throw-away joke with all of that space racist shit she spouts in the first game. And her voice is super annoying. Kaiden is also a little bitch. Wrex and Garrus all the way.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
And I swear her boobs triple in size, it's ridiculous.

This just reminded me of:

when she's lying in the hospital in the third game and Shepard talks to her, her boobs are very... there.

http://www.abload.de/img/masseffect32012-03-17ztf97.jpg

I believe her changes with her hair are in line with her new privileges, anyway. I just wish I could have had a better team at the end - half of them I didn't even want there.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:53 pm 

I mean she wasn't great but they at least attempted to make her like a real person. Then in the third game they just gave up and turned her into cheap bonerfodder. Anyway I used Wrex and Garrus in the first one too, they were clearly the coolest.

OzzyApu wrote:
I believe her changes with her hair are in line with her new privileges, anyway. I just wish I could have had a better team at the end - half of them I didn't even want there.

That doesn't matter, having her hair down is just stupid and impractical in a combat situation. Like I wouldn't have minded so much if that had just been her character from the beginning, but they had to DECIDE to her to be LESS practical, in favor of being more overtly "sexy" I guess. Whatever, I went for Liara anyway. She was basically the only love interest to have a serious personal life of her own, and could actually compare to Shepard in terms of her accomplishments.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:17 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
That said, Kaiden is still really fucking boring.

My friend said he always saves Kaiden because "He's the only squadmate in ME1 that doesn't have mommy and daddy issues coming out the ears...He already went on his personal quest of self-discovery so when shit goes down he doesn't whine about it and just gets the job done." Which is something of a good point.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:40 pm 

I'm about twelve years late to the party, but I just finished Metal Gear Solid 2. I don't even know what to say about all that fucking insanity.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:12 pm 

www.gog.com

FIIIIIIIIIIINALLY. If I ever get through my Steam library, finish my console games and go through the retro stuff I got this is how I'll reward myself.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:16 pm 

Oh yeah, System Shock 2 is out on Good Old Games.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:55 pm 

Numerator_41 wrote:
I'm about twelve years late to the party, but I just finished Metal Gear Solid 2. I don't even know what to say about all that fucking insanity.

You copying me or something? :P I just beat it as well, on the MGS HD Collection. The story is so lol and over the top. La-li-lu-le-lo!

failsafeman wrote:
The problem with Ashley is that they kind of turn her into a ridiculous-looking bimbo in the third game.
Ugh, really? Is there ANY female character who doesn't get sexified in a sequel? :ugh:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:32 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
failsafeman wrote:
The problem with Ashley is that they kind of turn her into a ridiculous-looking bimbo in the third game.
Ugh, really? Is there ANY female character who doesn't get sexified in a sequel? :ugh:

Fanservice knows no boundaries, Morrigan. It's very ridiculous, really.

Speaking of Metal Gear Solid, anyone here besides me who treasures the third game as one of the best things ever?

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:03 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

Honestly, it isn't that bad. Also, I don't think her bust is too much bigger in her armor, but definitely with just her military shirt. It could've been way worse. Like the girl in Dead Space 3.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:27 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

To every game industry designer / writer that I've met this quarter, I asked them about this. Each said that every female they created needed to be more "pronounced" or <>insert phrase to mean "give her bigger boobs"<> from their boss or another suit before making / not making the final cut.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:32 pm 

How come it's not surprising that, instead of the developers, the suits are to blame for such a thing?

"What do you think of this design for the female lead, sir?"

"Mmmmm..... It's nice enough. But you know what? It needs bigger tits!"

"Eh, sir, I don't understand how that's relevant to the character's personali-....."

"Don't be ridiculous. Players don't care about "interesting" characters. They just want some big, round things to look at. No go and stick some virtual silicone in there, damnit! Tits sell!"

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:07 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Dandelo wrote:

I think it's funny you never fail to comment when these two characters are brought up.

Too bad they both couldn't die in ME1!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:51 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

Honestly, it isn't that bad. Also, I don't think her bust is too much bigger in her armor, but definitely with just her military shirt.

It's pretty bad even in armor, dude. Compare:

Mass Effect 1

Mass Effect 3

I mean some women just naturally have big tits, I'm not claiming that big boobs shouldn't be in games at all or anything, but the character was clearly portrayed with smaller boobs originally, so she must have either gotten pregnant or had a boob job since then. Also note that in 3 she's now wearing like full-on makeup into combat including eyeshadow, rouge, possibly lipstick, etc. This is what a professional soldier wears in the future, apparently. On top of all of that, she was initially portrayed as a tomboy, not AT ALL the sort who might just like wearing full makeup around all the time if given the chance. It's just another symptom of the writing team going through a lot of changes over the course of the series. Each team reinterpreted everything in each game, and it ended up being kind of mess in terms of story and character cohesion.

Also just for those who aren't aware, you end up upgrading that stupid white-and-pink armor in the first game pretty quickly in favor of much more sensibly-colored armor.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:07 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Numerator_41 wrote:

You copying me or something? :P I just beat it as well, on the MGS HD Collection. The story is so lol and over the top. La-li-lu-le-lo!

MGS2 is probably my favorite if we were to judge based on how much time I've spent playing each game in the series alone, but I hate the fiftieth-to-last twist.
When it's revealed that the entire Big Shell mission was meant to be a recreation of Shadow Moses. It's like, goddammit, I was getting annoyed all game at all of the obvious retreads it was doing, and I guess that's a better explanation than just lazy design, but it's still such a cop-out for not thinking of all that much new stuff. Fortune fight = Vulcan Raven fight, Ninja is Gray Fox = Ninja is Olga, Mr. X = Deepthroat (they even straight up admit that one), Deepthroat is Ninja = Deepthroat is Ninja, Vamp takes Emma, fight with sniper rifle = Sniper Wolf takes Meryl, fight with sniper rifle, Harrier fight with stinger missiles = Harrier fight with stinger missiles, climactic one-on-one swordfight with Solidus = climactic hand-to-hand fight against Liquid. It's just irritating that they couldn't have put in the effort to think of more new stuff to do, and instead just explain right before the climax that they did it all on purpose.
Other than that, it has my favorite gameplay of them (though I haven't played 4).
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:50 am 

Funny thing about Mass Effect 1 for me is that I play the PS3 and until 1 became available, Captain Kirrahe was considered dead. When it did become available I was able to finally see all the (mundane) things I missed. And when I got to Kirrahe, he died anyway. I guess he just had it coming.

"Hold the line!"

Funny considering we didn't do a whole lot of line holding. We just push right on forward and break their line. I don't think a small spec ops team is equipped to do any actual line holding. This isn't the fucking Imperial Guard.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:46 am 

Morrigan wrote:

I do have hopes for Beyond Good & Evil 2, should it ever come out... :nods:

About Mass Effect: That franchise always seemed to me a lot about gratification and "fan"service, so I'm not at all surprised.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:29 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Numerator_41 wrote:

HD Collection here as well. I think one of my favorite parts was near the end when Ocelot is explaining the entire purpose of the Big Shell mission.

"There's no such thing as the supernatural, only cutting-edge technology!"
*minutes later something supernatural happens*

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:32 pm 

Numerator_41 wrote:
HD Collection here as well. I think one of my favorite parts was near the end when Ocelot is explaining the entire purpose of the Big Shell mission.

"There's no such thing as the supernatural, only cutting-edge technology!"
*minutes later something supernatural happens*

"There's no such thing as the supernatural, onl--well, okay, except maybe Vulcan Raven, but other than that there's only cutting-edge techno--no, I don't know what the fuck Psycho Mantis' deal was, either! Quit talking while I'm talking!"

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:17 pm 

Lost another hardcore Path of Exile character. Level 35 shadow. Fuckkkkk thisssss shiiiiiiiiiit.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:22 pm 

Been playing a lot of Bloon Tower Defense lately. Fun game it is.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:46 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
MGS2 is probably my favorite if we were to judge based on how much time I've spent playing each game in the series alone, but I hate the fiftieth-to-last twist.
When it's revealed that the entire Big Shell mission was meant to be a recreation of Shadow Moses. It's like, goddammit, I was getting annoyed all game at all of the obvious retreads it was doing, and I guess that's a better explanation than just lazy design, but it's still such a cop-out for not thinking of all that much new stuff. Fortune fight = Vulcan Raven fight, Ninja is Gray Fox = Ninja is Olga, Mr. X = Deepthroat (they even straight up admit that one), Deepthroat is Ninja = Deepthroat is Ninja, Vamp takes Emma, fight with sniper rifle = Sniper Wolf takes Meryl, fight with sniper rifle, Harrier fight with stinger missiles = Harrier fight with stinger missiles, climactic one-on-one swordfight with Solidus = climactic hand-to-hand fight against Liquid. It's just irritating that they couldn't have put in the effort to think of more new stuff to do, and instead just explain right before the climax that they did it all on purpose.
Other than that, it has my favorite gameplay of them (though I haven't played 4).

Eh... what?
I understand being annoyed at some of the rehashes, but many of those are a ridiculous stretch.
1) How is Fortune - Vulcan Raven? For one thing, you can't even "win" the Fortune fight, you just have to survive for a little while. The rest has nothing in common either...
2) Complaining about both the cyber-ninja and the Mr. X/Deepthroat thing is redundant.
3) The sniper deal with Emma and Vamp doesn't play at all like the fight against Sniper Wolf.
4) You wrote Harrier twice, I think you meant the Hind D. This one, I'll grant, the fights were very very similar.
5) The melee fighting as last boss is typical of MGS, it's also in MGS4. It's an annoying fight but it's more a "tradition" than a rehash, and obviously at this point in the story it's no longer part of the "Shadow Moses" simulation, even if the Patriots encourage you to defeat Solidus, because Solidus attacks you of his own volition anyway.

For rehashes, wasn't there a similar Nikita missile thing? I forgot what you use it for in MGS1 beyond defeating Sniper Wolf (part 2) and Vulcan Raven (part 2) but I could have sworn you also needed to guide a missile to destroy some appliance to continue...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:59 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Lost another hardcore Path of Exile character. Level 35 shadow. Fuckkkkk thisssss shiiiiiiiiiit.

Jesus man, how much time do you have to waste?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:17 pm 

I've finally gotten around to playing Civilizations V. Not too exciting, but hey it's a great time waster. It's way different than what I remember of Test of Time, but that's probably just because I haven't played that game since I was like ten years old.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:57 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Eh... what?
I understand being annoyed at some of the rehashes, but many of those are a ridiculous stretch.
1) How is Fortune - Vulcan Raven? For one thing, you can't even "win" the Fortune fight, you just have to survive for a little while. The rest has nothing in common either...
2) Complaining about both the cyber-ninja and the Mr. X/Deepthroat thing is redundant.
3) The sniper deal with Emma and Vamp doesn't play at all like the fight against Sniper Wolf.
4) You wrote Harrier twice, I think you meant the Hind D. This one, I'll grant, the fights were very very similar.
5) The melee fighting as last boss is typical of MGS, it's also in MGS4. It's an annoying fight but it's more a "tradition" than a rehash, and obviously at this point in the story it's no longer part of the "Shadow Moses" simulation, even if the Patriots encourage you to defeat Solidus, because Solidus attacks you of his own volition anyway.

For rehashes, wasn't there a similar Nikita missile thing? I forgot what you use it for in MGS1 beyond defeating Sniper Wolf (part 2) and Vulcan Raven (part 2) but I could have sworn you also needed to guide a missile to destroy some appliance to continue...

1) The Fortune fight is in an extremely similar room as the second Vulcan Raven fight, with the sort of grid-like obstacles and the enemy just slowly hulking around with a giant weapon taunting you. The fight itself isn't all that similar since yeah, you can't win the battle against Fortune, only survive it, but the aesthetics are really similar.
2) The Mr. X/Deepthroat thing was pretty redundant of me, yes, but my point stands that having identical Ninja's who both end up being old enemies (granted Olga and Raiden never met before that point, but she was an old adversary of Snake's and you as a player had encountered her before) is a really lame twist the second time.
3) You're right, the fights aren't the same, but the whole take hostage - sniper retaliation is similar enough for me to draw the parallel
4) :durr: Yeah I meant Hind D for the original MGS.
5) I'll concede that one. I still think it's lame for the game to just straight up explain that everything was supposed to play out exactly like the first game, and then end with the same sequence of events with the whole Metal Gear fight followed by a hand-to-hand fight with the big bad.

As for the Nikita missles, I think you needed it to bypass an electric floor in one game and to disable poison gas in another, but I can't remember which. I'm pretty sure it's gas right before Psycho Mantis and an electric floor at... well some point in MGS2. I think it had to do with rescuing Emma. And it honestly never dawned on me to use the Nikita against Sniper Wolf :lol:.

This is making me want to replay this series, it's been a long time. I've beaten MGS1 and 2 like fifty times each, but the third one only twice. I liked it a lot but it's so much longer and so much more in-depth that I just didn't always have the time commitment.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:07 am 

Need to relive MGS but don't have the time to play through again?

Just read these comics!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 474, 475, 476, 477, 478, 479, 480 ... 940  Next