Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:34 am 

^
My longest attempt ended shortly after the section where multiple mages spawn with the spikes down under, i've watched a video and it seems i'm still far away from the end.. at least now i know that is supposed to be extremely challenging :(

I use too Nailmaster glory and unbreakable strenght as they seem mandatory to dispatch enemies quickly, but i've never actually equipped stalwart shell, i should try

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:30 pm 

If anyone has ever thought about getting Valfaris, I'm just going to put this out there. You should totally get it.

And if you haven't thought about it you should think about it.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:58 pm 

Guys, I know you're all big Souls game fans so I hope you can help me with this one.

You can hear a woman's scream at 1:28 that I've heard in another game before but can't remember which one, and it's killing me.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:41 pm 

Well, I got VR for PS4 for Christmas and I feel like a kid discovering the magic of video games all over again.

I’m playing a game called Blood and Truth which is a first person shooter that’s heavy on the storytelling. This game would be pretty run of the mill if not for the VR. The VR aspect of this game is so immersive to my stupid brain. This isn’t a video game. It’s all actually happening and I’m a complete badass taking down this enemy gang.

Anyone here have VR? My only complaint is I’m still getting nauseous when playing for extended amounts of time. Hopefully, that goes away for good.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:37 pm 

I've never used VR but if I had it there are two games I would be sniping from the PS4 store: Superhot VR, and whatever that FromSoft VR game is called. Dericine? Something like that. I know nothing about it but c'mon it's FromSoft doing VR, has to be rad right?

Superhot is probably self-explanatory.

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:10 am 

I got a PSVR last year, but unfortunately it didn't hook me quite enough and I ended up selling it on eBay. I played Skyrim, which was kind of mind-blowing at first, but after a while the newness wore off and to some degree it just became the same old locations/terrain that I'd already put 1500+ hours into. I played Eagle Flight, which I didn't like nearly as much as I thought I would, since roaming around places exploring anything and everything is kind of my jam. I also played a third one, though the name is not coming to me atm. I didn't think PSVR was a bad experience... maybe it just was the wrong time with the wrong games for me.

Timeghoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:29 am 

I ended and went back to GTA V. There is a shitload of stuff to do and its a fairly open world. My only complaint is at certain points in the game you cannot switch characters. You have to play this character and fly the helicopter. If it is going to have a three playable character system, you should be able to choose the character you want to be for each mission.

Quote:
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:57 am 

Jonpo wrote:
I've never used VR but if I had it there are two games I would be sniping from the PS4 store: Superhot VR, and whatever that FromSoft VR game is called. Dericine? Something like that. I know nothing about it but c'mon it's FromSoft doing VR, has to be rad right?

Superhot is probably self-explanatory.

Here’s a review of Deracine from Kotaku: https://www.google.com/amp/s/kotaku.com ... 191094/amp

Maybe, I’ll pick that up if it goes on sale, but I don’t think it’s “for me”.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:02 am 

Timeghoul wrote:
I ended and went back to GTA V. There is a shitload of stuff to do and its a fairly open world. My only complaint is at certain points in the game you cannot switch characters. You have to play this character and fly the helicopter. If it is going to have a three playable character system, you should be able to choose the character you want to be for each mission.

That gameplay really does hold up six and a half years later. Some truly cringeworthy writing/cutscenes that are hard to overlook, and 3rd person character controls are pretty clunky, true. However, the mission design of the campaign is still top class, and the feel of driving cars is amazing for a non-racing game.

Finished Outer Wilds (not to be confused with The Outer Worlds, though I finished that too a while back and it's a pretty cool game) after stepping away from it for a while and then just starting over. 10/10, game of 2019, and like everyone else says you're best off playing it without knowing anything about it. The only thing I'll say is it HANDILY rewards patience and eagerness to explore.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:03 am 

Erdrickgr- I can understand what you’re saying about VR. I did beat Skyrim, but haven’t really had a lot of interest playing it on VR. As long as they keep releasing games for it (Shadow Legends) I think I’ll still be interested. But, a lot of the games are short and there isn’t a whole lot to do in them (Batman VR), so there are definitely drawbacks to it.

I need to get as much out of it as I can now, because once PS5 comes out I’m sure thing will be obsolete garbage and I already blew way too much money on this.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:45 am 

I got my hands on an alpha key for ScourgeBringer (thanks reddit/discord). It's coming out soon, like February 5th or 6th I believe, on Steam, but I was still excited to get my hands on an advanced copy. It reminds me of some weird combination of Celeste, Dead Cells, and Monolith. The combat is ultra fast paced and honestly once you start attacking enemies you can combo them together in a very satisfying, almost anime sort of fashion. Typical rogue-like progression system where you unlock new skills and abilities at the end of each run (aka when you die).

The visuals, the controls, and the difficulty (it's not at all easy) all felt just right. Can't wait to own it.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:27 pm 

All these recent Doom Eternal gameplay videos just leave me in awe. Doom 2016 was absolute FPS perfection and everything seems to indicate they've taken the sequel to an entirely new level.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:41 am 

Razakel wrote:
All these recent Doom Eternal gameplay videos just leave me in awe. Doom 2016 was absolute FPS perfection and everything seems to indicate they've taken the sequel to an entirely new level.

My most anticipated game of 2020 easily. Also looking forward to the Doom64 update that comes with preorders. This is exactly what I wanted from id.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:49 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Razakel wrote:

My most anticipated game of 2020 easily. Also looking forward to the Doom64 update that comes with preorders. This is exactly what I wanted from id.

Yeah this is one of my most anticipated games, too. I'm definitely going to sink hours of joy into this when it comes out. Doom 2016 was amazing, too. But I also liked Doom 3, haha.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:57 pm 

I liked Doom 3 well enough when it came out, but Doom 2016 is what the franchise really needed. I'm also not sure how well Doom 3 has aged. I imagine Dead Space is a better horror shooter. I've also never played Doom 64 - is it actually legit, Resident?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:32 am 

Razakel wrote:
I liked Doom 3 well enough when it came out, but Doom 2016 is what the franchise really needed. I'm also not sure how well Doom 3 has aged. I imagine Dead Space is a better horror shooter. I've also never played Doom 64 - is it actually legit, Resident?

Doom 64 is the real Doom 3 and I will go down with that ship. I appreciated what Doom 3 was going for but let's be real, it was Doom in name only.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:47 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Razakel wrote:

Doom 64 is the real Doom 3 and I will go down with that ship. I appreciated what Doom 3 was going for but let's be real, it was Doom in name only.

Yeah, for sure, totally agree. Huh, now I'd like to check out Doom 64 at some point.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:47 pm 

I thought Doom 64 was just a port of the original Doom, though? I am so confused.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:53 pm 

Nope, it's its own game entirely.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:09 am 

I started Gods Will Be Watching yesterday and left it at the 4th Chapter. I'm not going to continue playing it, the idea is cool but overall the game felt tedious and not funny to play.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:31 am 

Finished an Italian game called This Town of Light. About a girl's recollection of her time in a mental asylum. Very adult themes but really good. When I bought it, it was under $5 on Steam. Worth the purchase.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:01 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Razakel wrote:

I'd have to agree. I have Doom 3 (BFG Edition) mostly because it came with the best console versions of Doom 1 and Doom II. I don't think Doom 3 has aged well at all. It still looks fantastic, but it's so fucking slow. It takes like an hour to get into any action at all, which is just wrong.

Doom 64 was the first actual 3D Doom game. Yeah, the characters were still 2D sprites, but it was the first with fully real-time 3D environments and not the faux-3D that made up the originals or Wolfenstein (or Duke Nukem 3D). It is a wholly original game, and in my opinion, one of the best looking N64 games of all time, even before the Expansion Pak allowed for non-hideous textures. It looks fantastic, it sounds fantastic, it plays fast and smooth. I played it at some point last year when testing the connections on my rebuilt entertainment center and it never ceases to amaze me how solid Doom 64 truly is.

The N64 was known for shitty framerates, absolutely disgusting textures, and a game library that was horribly dated within only a single generation. Third party developers, by and large, could not use the backwards-ass hardware well. Hardware that, history says, was originally rejected by Sega for the Saturn. There's a reason nearly all the quality N64 games came almost exclusively from Nintendo and Rare. But Doom 64 managed to squeeze by as a totally solid, nigh-ageless title on a console with a library awash in garbage.

So why don't I just play my Doom 64 on my N64? Because the N64 is garbage hardware. I have a 4K TV and a Framemeister, which upscales classic game consoles to pixel perfection on a modern TV. If you plug any old console into an HDTV with AV(RCA) cables, it looks like a blurry nightmare. Playable, but god damn are they ugly. A lot of old consoles had the ability to output in RGB using SCART or S-Video cables. The SNES and Genesis can both do this, and they look phenomenal--when running on a SCART cable through the Framemeister. The Genesis might actually look a tad better. Crystal clear and pixel-perfect.

The N64, however, despite the "advanced hardware" needs to have the main board modded in order to do that. Nintendo has an RGB slot right on the board and did not include actual hardware to take advantage of it. So the already blurry, hideous, ugly mess of the N64 looks like a fucking travesty on an HDTV. I will probably not get around to getting the N64 updated for modern play for a long, long time.

But to have Doom64 running on my PS4? Fuck yes, give me that shit right fucking now. It'll look even better, play even better, and I cannot wait. I dare say, I'm almost more excited to see Doom64 come back than to get to play Doom Eternal.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:18 pm 

I recently played through KOTOR for the first time. I liked it. It was pretty immersive and fun to play. Not sure I'd play it again, but I enjoyed myself.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:55 pm 

Have been playing Stardew Valley again since the patch came out in mid-December. Used to play on PS4 back in 2018, but I knew some people on Twitch who wanted to start a community farm and play a few times a month so I bought it on PC for that. I don't know if it's rougher if you don't know the people you're in multiplayer with, but with the gang I'm with it's been a lot of fun.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:05 pm 

Check out Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King if you want to play the best love-letter to Zelda: LTTP that I've ever touched. It's very self-aware but it handles that masterfully. The setting is a grandfather telling his small grandchildren a story at night, and they're VERY TIRED of hearing about a certain elf from Hyrule. So he makes up a "new" story starring his granddaughter. (spoiler alert: It's the same story)

There are some small modern updates to the mechanics that make it so fun. Unlimited bombs with an endurance cooldown, NO endurance on sword swipes, with special sword attacks such as a spin-attack that you can either cancel or transition into a big leaping forward chop (neither consumes endurance). I'm only on the first true dungeon but the design so far has really captured me. Super fun puzzles that are simple but somehow make you feel like a genius when you crack 'em.

I've been looking for something like this for a few months now. I'm also going to check out Anodyne. These should hold me over until Hazelnut Bastille is eventually released.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:37 am 

Hey, looking for specific recommendations.

One of my favourite RTS games is Empire Earth, released way back in 2001. The reason I like this game is the sheer amount of units you can create, and all the buildings you can put anywhere on the map. But the biggest thing is the range of epochs to go through, from the Prehistoric Age to the Space Age (with the expansion pack). I really like this idea of going from way in the past to way in the future in a single game.

Is there any other RTS (or even a city building game) that spans such a gigantic timespan that's come out recently? Say in the last couple of years. I'm enjoying games such as City Skylines, Tropico 6, Dawn of Man, etc., but they don't really do much in the way of going through lots of time. If there's anything out there, I'd be interested. Thanks. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:02 pm 

Have you played the other two Empire Earth games? I don't think there's been a RTS game of that scope since.

Age of Empires IV is in develop, with the last instalment coming out way back in 2005.

LunarisIsDead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:08 pm 

Sid Meier's Civilization spans that long of a time span. The series is turn-based strategy, not real-time, but IV and V are a blast. I've heard good things about VI, too.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:51 pm 

Thanks guys. Yeah I'm aware of the Empire Earth sequels and Civilization. Was just wondering if there was anything else out there. Thanks anyway. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:18 pm 

Kunai came out today on Steam and Switch. Don't miss it if you're an indie/Metroidvania freakazoid. The namesake kunai offer your adorable main charcter a crazy fun way to swing through the games areas. Huge HK influence, just without the depression. And nowhere near as punishingly difficult. The controls are super modern with jump sensitivity and the ability to attack in all 4 cardinal directions. It feels awesome, looks killer. If the trailer appeals to you, you're gonna love it, basically.

I've got a short review on steam under the name void_dance.

Timeghoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:20 am 

MikeyC wrote:

One of my favourite RTS games is Empire Earth, released way back in 2001. The reason I like this game is the sheer amount of units you can create, and all the buildings you can put anywhere on the map. But the biggest thing is the range of epochs to go through, from the Prehistoric Age to the Space Age (with the expansion pack). I really like this idea of going from way in the past to way in the future in a single game.

Is there any other RTS (or even a city building game) that spans such a gigantic timespan that's come out recently? Say in the last couple of years. I'm enjoying games such as City Skylines, Tropico 6, Dawn of Man, etc., but they don't really do much in the way of going through lots of time. If there's anything out there, I'd be interested. Thanks. :)
Have you ever played Age of Empires II? With all of the expansions it takes you from the dawn of man, all the way into having robots run everything. It came out in 1999 and a definitive collection was released in 2019. I still enjoy it to this day. I also like games where I can go through time with the people in this type of game. I wish there were a more. I tried Planetbase, Civilization and some others and most of the ones I have found don't really do it for me.

Quote:
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

LunarisIsDead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:45 am 

Since we're on the topic of strategy games, how about Paradox? Not very experienced with their games, I only have Europa Universalis 3 and Crusader Kings 2 and I'm a newbie to both of them, but DAMN they are a blast.

Total War is a favorite of mine. I don't have any of the newer ones, but I'm big into Rome and Medieval 2 and I have all the expansions for both. I also have Empire (underrated game, btw) but it's not quite as good.

Pretty different kind of game too, but Mount & Blade: Warband is great.

Besides my Switch, I just have a really bad PC, so I pretty much have to stick to older or less intensive games. Even Civ V and CK2 have a bit of trouble on low settings, especially CK2.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:37 pm 

l Lunaris l wrote:
Since we're on the topic of strategy games, how about Paradox? Not very experienced with their games, I only have Europa Universalis 3 and Crusader Kings 2 and I'm a newbie to both of them, but DAMN they are a blast.

Total War is a favorite of mine. I don't have any of the newer ones, but I'm big into Rome and Medieval 2 and I have all the expansions for both. I also have Empire (underrated game, btw) but it's not quite as good.

Pretty different kind of game too, but Mount & Blade: Warband is great.

Besides my Switch, I just have a really bad PC, so I pretty much have to stick to older or less intensive games. Even Civ V and CK2 have a bit of trouble on low settings, especially CK2.

Big Total War fan here. Basically everything from Napoleon on (except ToB) I'll always come back to playing.

As for Paradox, the only one I've ever played is Hearts of Iron 4, which I'm in love with. I've got over 1000 hours on it. Just so addicting. When they release Crusader Kings 3 I'll probably get it. Thing with Paradox though, and Creative Assembly is guilty of this but not to the same extent - the microtransactions / dlc. With CA it sucks but you can still put up with it - with Paradox it's like they release a 50% of a game at full price and you purchase the next 50% over a 2-3 year period. It's fucked.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Nightsward
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:17 pm 

CK2 is an awesome game. Nothing like wiping out an entire bloodline because one of its members assassinated your carefully bred genius 10+-in-all-stats heir to be. I actually haven't played it in years; should check out all the new stuff they've added lately, especially the last expansion that everyone seems to be raving about. Vicky 2 is another really cool game - it's more about playing with politics and economics than just straight-up territorial expansion, which is really neat. Never really got into EU4 though, and never played the HOIs or Stellaris.

And yeah, Paradox's dlc policy is honestly atrocious. The original rationale for it was solid: big and small dlcs that you pay for to support development, and big free patches for everyone. But since they went public they've been cutting stuff out of the base game to sell in dlcs, and charging 15 bucks for dlcs that don't have 15 bucks worth of content. I guess that's just what happens when you bring profit-driven shareholders into the picture, but it's a shame. Hopefully they'll at least bundle all the content together for the older games and sell it for a reasonable price somewhere down the road.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:30 pm 

ScourgeBringer is as fun and addicting as any Early Access game I've played. It's gonna be so dope watching the game develop and grow through EA.

So far I can't beat the second boss. Dead Cells + Celeste with a slice of Monolith is still the most accurate description.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:20 am 

Timeghoul wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Have you ever played Age of Empires II? With all of the expansions it takes you from the dawn of man, all the way into having robots run everything. It came out in 1999 and a definitive collection was released in 2019. I still enjoy it to this day. I also like games where I can go through time with the people in this type of game. I wish there were a more. I tried Planetbase, Civilization and some others and most of the ones I have found don't really do it for me.

I have played it but not for many years. I wasn't aware that you could go through so much time and that there was so many expansions. Might be cool to check out. Thanks.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

LunarisIsDead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:45 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
As for Paradox, the only one I've ever played is Hearts of Iron 4, which I'm in love with. I've got over 1000 hours on it. Just so addicting. When they release Crusader Kings 3 I'll probably get it. Thing with Paradox though, and Creative Assembly is guilty of this but not to the same extent - the microtransactions / dlc. With CA it sucks but you can still put up with it - with Paradox it's like they release a 50% of a game at full price and you purchase the next 50% over a 2-3 year period. It's fucked.

I've personally been content playing CK2 without any of the expansions, but I do imagine I'll hit a wall eventually where I'll have done pretty much all the interesting stuff.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:20 pm 

I watched some video game plot explanations considering the 999 DS visual novel game and it's zero escape sequels. It totally blew my mind. It has one of the most sophisticated plot lines I have ever seen. I also watched a video on another channel where it covered all the endings and it was like 2 hours but very enjoyable. Like watching a tense horror movie. The channel's name is Whoisthisgit and he has a series called creepy bad endings. Very simple but original concept.

Here is the video with the plot explanation also pretty helpful:

Warning!! Spoilers contained for the 999 game for DS

the other games are: zero escape virtue's last reward and zero escape dhilema.

BuriedUnborn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:52 am 

I've just finished playing the original Sniper Elite game.

You basically control a human-shaped race car with a sniper rifle. The game might be fun, but it's tedious as fuck and the movement is terrible. I understand it's an old game but damn, never have I seen a game with such terrible movement.

Moshing: Dancing like a madman, perpetrating a frantic and violent dance which consists in jumping and whipping your body against other brainless idiots until you enter an irrational and brutal pyramid of pleasure.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:15 am 

Jonpo wrote:
ScourgeBringer...

So far I can't beat the second boss.

Psyche, I beat the EA content available. It's only 3 biomes/3 bosses. It was so addicting once I got my footing, just kept going back until I cleared it. This game is in an infant state at the moment, can't wait to see how they expand and develop it. In it's current state it's nowhere near the skill-check that Dead Cells or Celeste provided, but the movement/mechanics are ultra satisfying in combination with the gorgeous pixel art. Soundtrack bops, although they need to dial in the way the music changes when you engage in combat. It's jarring af.

BuriedUnborn wrote:
I've just finished playing the original Sniper Elite game.

You basically control a human-shaped race car with a sniper rifle. The game might be fun, but it's tedious as fuck and the movement is terrible. I understand it's an old game but damn, never have I seen a game with such terrible movement.

Hahah I can confirm all this. The demo was super fun but when we (my roomies at the time and myself) bought the full version of Sniper Elite it was gaaaaarbaaaage. Like, unplayable. It would have honestly been more enjoyable as a rail-shooter like the old arcade games.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 887, 888, 889, 890, 891, 892, 893 ... 940  Next