Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:34 am 

The banter between Colt and Julianna is really good, and the voice actor for Colt, in particular, is excellent. I'm also loving that there is a lot of dialogue, so whenever you start a new day they say something new. Reminds me of Hades, these games give the impression they could go on and on without repeating the same lines.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:25 pm 

The only thing I don't like about it is the reading. Way too much. I read all day for a living, which is why I gravitate toward mindless shooters/exploration games when I have time to play. This game is text heavy to a point of making it tedious at parts.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:29 pm 

I also enjoyed Deathloop a lot. The mechanics are amazing, the story and art was also pretty cool. I really liked the Dishonored franchise but the mechanics of the game made it so you really could save every time so there was no penalty for death. This one works so much better and the infiltration feels real. If you're spotted, you start again.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:19 pm 

I rage quit Deathloop :(

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:57 pm 

I would have replayed Deathloop if the controls didn't suck. Looking around and aiming at targets just didn't feel good, especially if there were multiple targets on the screen or if you were trying to sprint/teleport through an area. For most of the game, I was forced to use the left trigger to auto-aim and it feels cheesy. It's a shame because the rest of the game is great. I really enjoyed learning about the world and the visionaries in it. The game also had a really nice power creep where you eventually worked your way up to being able to sprint through an entire level while running over everyone that stood in your way.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:00 pm 

Oh and I am also slowly playing through Astalon. Great game if someone likes that retro-Metroidvania/platformer with light RPG elements. The sprites and the character design are very typical of a fantasy setting but done with care and overall it is just fun.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:08 pm 

I finished Remnant: From the Ashes today and I shouldn't have bough it. Could have been a lot better if you ask me. The world felt too big and empty and it was far less complex than I was expecting. Every location repeats like 5-6 times in each biome, bosses were disappointing, there were far less weapons/armor/mods/enemies than I was anticipating and even though it was short it felt 10 times longer than it actually was. Sorry, not my cup of tea.

Also, procedural worlds suck.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:22 am 

^ I got bored with Remnant: From the Ashes, also and didn't end up finishing it. Complete Dark Souls clone, but not nearly as well done with lore/game layout. I didn't finish it, but that's also a testament to my ADD and shiny new objects.

Speaking of shiny new objects, I want the new Horizon Zero Dawn and Elden Rings games and I want them NOW.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:25 am 

I did like Remnant. Though I think the bosses were more frustrating than hard, or they were pushovers, nothing in the middle. Never did beat the final boss, I don't understand the trick to do it, and I too was distracted by new things; I did come back to it, but tried the new levels instead of finishing the main story.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:57 am 

The final boss was actually very easy once you know what to do, took me a couple of tries.

Spoiler: show
Stage 1 (the child flying with the tentacle helmet: Just hit him with everything you can, this one should be easy.
Stage 2 (the flying alien thing): You have to hit the armor protecting the child and once you damage it enough it will open so you can damage the child. In between you get teleported to a shadow world where enemies attack, you can farm them for ammo but be quick to exit the portal, if you stay too long you'll get insta-killed.
Repeat.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:52 am 

Thexhumed wrote:
What video games do you recommend to listen music to?

I like playing simplistic braingames. The music makes me concentrate.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:11 pm 

Maybe I'll get back to that game and beat the boss, once I'm done with all the games on my plate right now AND the ones coming (Sifu, Elden Ring, Horizon Forbidden West), so probably never but thanks for the tip. What didn't help is that I used to have time for only one try on the morning, and if you quit after dying, you have to re-watch the cutscene all over again.

saphuchan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:01 am 

Currently been obsessed with Apex Legends, maining Octane and Bloodhound.
Have you guys played Apex? If so, what are your thoughts?

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:02 am 

saphuchan wrote:

I gave it about 30 seconds and turned it off.

Battle Royale games are not for me.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:14 am 

I never EVER play online and multiplayer stuff so no Apex Legends here.

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:39 am 

saphuchan wrote:

I played it a lot right when it came out, knowing it was from the developer of Titanfall 2 and I did like the Overwatch hero shooter thing it had going on (Bloodhound and Lifeline were my two mains). Some good tense moments when only three teams remain and you're confined to that tiny circle for sure. But then people got really good at the game, I kept dying way faster than before and I never felt I ever improved much. Also the endless running around looting stuff gets tedious sometimes, maybe it's more tolerable if you're with a group of friends though. Been playing only sporadically for the past year.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:42 am 

It's been my favorite BR, but like Bloodstone, at some point people got much ebtter than me. It was fun at the beginning when everyone was about at the same level, learning the ropes, etc., but most people play a lot more than me and so it became more frustrating than anything. But it's a good game if you're into BR.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:11 am 

I just finished Titanfall 2. I have never played the first game and I jumped right into this one. What a neat shooter! It's not the best thing I've ever played but I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of this one. I loved the juxtaposition of regular shooter and mech-shooter. Great world building, too - everything looked neat. They left it open for a Titanfall 3 and I hope they make it so because I definitely had a lot of fun with this.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:20 pm 

Yep, Titanfall 2 is a pretty cool shooter, I also enjoyed it a while back not knowing anything about the franchise.

GrtUnclean
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:13 pm 

its been forever since I posted here, Ive been getting into this indie series called Mercenaries Saga Chronicles. They arent the best but are serviceable tactic games that will scratch the itch before Triangle Strategy comes out.

I dont have anything to play for February since im skipping Horizon FW and Dark souls 4, I mean Elden Ring because i refuse to play them on a ps4 and i still dont have a PS5. March however is absolutely loaded for me with Babylon's fall, Triangle Strategy, Stranger in Paradise, Tiny Tina's wonderland, and Kirby. Who else knows what switch will bring in a likely Nintendo direct this month.

Anyway might post a few more times until this topic becomes Elden Ring the thread.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:22 pm 

GrtUnclean wrote:
its been forever since I posted here, Ive been getting into this indie series called Mercenaries Saga Chronicles. They arent the best but are serviceable tactic games that will scratch the itch before Triangle Strategy comes out.

I dont have anything to play for February since im skipping Horizon FW and Dark souls 4, I mean Elden Ring because i refuse to play them on a ps4 and i still dont have a PS5. March however is absolutely loaded for me with Babylon's fall, Triangle Strategy, Stranger in Paradise, Tiny Tina's wonderland, and Kirby. Who else knows what switch will bring in a likely Nintendo direct this month.

Anyway might post a few more times until this topic becomes Elden Ring the thread.

If you like the previous Mercenaries Saga games try the newest one: Mercenaries Rebirth: Call of the Wild Lynx (if you have a PS4 or Switch).

It does not shake up the gameplay much but is probably the best iteration of the series - most streamlined, fun battles and characters and overall a good (not great) story. As good a tactics RPG that one can get nowdays.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:25 am 

Started and finished a game called Perilous Warp today. It's a first person shooter with a very retro feel. Reminiscent of Quake more than anything. The campaign is short (I finished it in just over 2 hours), and enemy variety is sorely lacking, but overall the game is decent. It looked like an indie passion project, but I had fun with it.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:50 pm 

Rockstars announced on Twitter of a new GTA installment, probably GTA 6. As excited as I am, I'm gonna keep my hopes low, because Rockstars/Take Two have been making poor decisions lately, especially after that Trilogy abomination.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:12 pm 

Picked up Sekiro again and this time I was finally able to beat the Chained Ogre haha...and I even managed to kill General Tenzen Yamauchi on my first try! Passed by the giant snake and I am now in front of what appears to be a huge boss arena... I remember seeing videos of some horse riding boss. I think it might be that place... Wish me luck...
Fire walk with me"

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:07 pm 

Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:
Picked up Sekiro again and this time I was finally able to beat the Chained Ogre haha...and I even managed to kill General Tenzen Yamauchi on my first try! Passed by the giant snake and I am now in front of what appears to be a huge boss arena... I remember seeing videos of some horse riding boss. I think it might be that place... Wish me luck...

Hooray! I remember that ogre was challenging for me too because I was playing the game wrong. By the time I got to the boss you're at I had a better understanding of the game mechanics so you should be good.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:55 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:

Hooray! I remember that ogre was challenging for me too because I was playing the game wrong. By the time I got to the boss you're at I had a better understanding of the game mechanics so you should be good.

Gyoubu Masataka Oniwa went down on my 3rd attempt! Firecrackers and grappling hook attack skill came in handy. Honestly had much more trouble with Chained Ogre.
Fire walk with me"

BloodMoonRising
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:10 pm 

I've beaten Sekiro at least 5 times by now (so far my favorite FromSoftware game), and I still feel uneasy with the first chained ogre. Like you have to be really snappy with your dodges in a game that teaches you to rely on parry most of the time, or else there goes 90% of your health.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:39 pm 

I finally game AC Valhalla another chance and now that the difficulty has been balanced it's a much better game. The druids DLC was actually pretty hard and had a ton of tough enemies.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:40 pm 

yungstirjoey666 wrote:
Rockstars announced on Twitter of a new GTA installment, probably GTA 6. As excited as I am, I'm gonna keep my hopes low, because Rockstars/Take Two have been making poor decisions lately, especially after that Trilogy abomination.

I really really really really really really really really really really really want this to be good. :aww:

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:29 am 

BloodMoonRising wrote:
I've beaten Sekiro at least 5 times by now (so far my favorite FromSoftware game), and I still feel uneasy with the first chained ogre. Like you have to be really snappy with your dodges in a game that teaches you to rely on parry most of the time, or else there goes 90% of your health.

On paper he should be easy, but it's his grab that fucked me up.

Anyway, I managed to kill Blazing Bull on my 3rd attempt. Blocking/defelcting his horns was easier than trying to punish is ass. Also, managed to explore Ashina Reservoir a bit, as well as the roof tops with the birdmens. And I died 3 times to the fat drunkard in Hirata Estate.
Fire walk with me"

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:58 am 

So, some time ago I decided to break a quite lengthy gaming-less spell with Fight Knight. Totally not worth it. Sifu, on the other hand, is hella fun, even though its systems and overarching design philosophy can get pretty confusing, especially in the beginning.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:30 pm 

Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:
BloodMoonRising wrote:

Anyway, I managed to kill Blazing Bull on my 3rd attempt. Blocking/defelcting his horns was easier than trying to punish is ass. Also, managed to explore Ashina Reservoir a bit, as well as the roof tops with the birdmens. And I died 3 times to the fat drunkard in Hirata Estate.

Proud of you for standing strong against the Bull! All the internet guides about the "safe" way to fight the Bull are so lame. Oh yeah you can chase his butt around doing chip damage for 15 minutes OR you can just stand tf still and deflect his super obvious head-drop attack.

Agreed with everyone else that the Chained Ogre is by far one of the scariest encounters in the entire game. It was almost a troll (no pun intended) putting him so early. Just FromSoft things. Personally I decided to go for the Shura ending on NG++ and it's just not happening. Getting smoked by interior you-know-who. Might have to start a clean game.

Last edited by Jonpo on Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nineties
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:01 pm 

I've been giving a lot of attention to Indivisible by Lab Zero Games. Ajna is a spunky gal and she along with her teammates are fun to play with. I also like the mixture of Mega Man X and JRPG-style gameplay as well as the vibrant art.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:15 pm 

God dammit just give me Elden Ring now.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:56 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:
BloodMoonRising wrote:

Anyway, I managed to kill Blazing Bull on my 3rd attempt. Blocking/deflecting his horns was easier than trying to punish is ass. Also, managed to explore Ashina Reservoir a bit, as well as the roof tops with the birdmens. And I died 3 times to the fat drunkard in Hirata Estate.

Proud of you for standing strong against the Bull! All the internet guides about the "safe" way to fight the Bull are so lame. Oh yeah you can chase his butt around doing chip damage for 15 minutes OR you can just stand tf still and deflect his super obvious head-drop attack.

Agreed with everyone else that the Chained Ogre is by far one of the scariest encounters in the entire game. It was almost a troll (no pun intended) putting him so early. Just FromSoft things. Personally I decided to go for the Shura ending on NG++ and it's just not happening. Getting smoked by interior you-know-who. Might have to start a clean game.

Update : In Hirata, I managed to kill the drunk and got Lady Butterfly down on my 3rd attempt, was close too, the last seconds of the fight were quite tense haha
Fire walk with me"

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:40 pm 

I've recently started Death Stranding. I've played a couple of hours of it. I'm not entirely sure what I should be doing other than delivering things and watching out for the baddies, but overall I'm enjoying this game. The visuals are stunning. No spoilers but has anyone played this?

ZarathustraHead wrote:

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:10 pm 

The visuals for Death stranding and the enemies are great, but the core gameplay is terrible. Literally just a delivery boy trying not to fall over.

That game was a massive disappointment.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:23 pm 

Ah, okay. Well I'll keep playing it and see if I get bored of it. You're right that the visuals are great. We'll see how we go.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:53 pm 

Nineties wrote:
I've been giving a lot of attention to Indivisible by Lab Zero Games. Ajna is a spunky gal and she along with her teammates are fun to play with. I also like the mixture of Mega Man X and JRPG-style gameplay as well as the vibrant art.

I backed that game on Indiegogo at the time... but I ended up hating it. Like really really hating it. :(

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Nineties
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:17 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Nineties wrote:

I backed that game on Indiegogo at the time... but I ended up hating it. Like really really hating it. :(

Why’s that? The gameplay or the characters?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 917, 918, 919, 920, 921, 922, 923 ... 940  Next