Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:18 pm 

Started up a new character on Dark Souls 3. I usually just go all-in on strength and vitality (because I lack the sophistication for more refined approaches), but this time, I'm thinking I'll focus on dexterity and faith, get in on some of that nifty lightning action I've been seeing around. It's already pretty weird not to be trundling around with a Great Club.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:49 pm 

Just got to the Forbidden Woods in Bloodborne. Game has actually gotten sort of easy, it started off harder IMO. The witch boss fight was a joke. I was working my way through Nightmare Frontier and it wasn't TOO crazy, but I've heard I should maybe come back later.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:17 pm 

Ezadara wrote:
Started up a new character on Dark Souls 3. I usually just go all-in on strength and vitality (because I lack the sophistication for more refined approaches), but this time, I'm thinking I'll focus on dexterity and faith, get in on some of that nifty lightning action I've been seeing around. It's already pretty weird not to be trundling around with a Great Club.

DEX and FTH huh. You should grab the Lothric straight sword, which scales with faith, then when you get the chance, buff it with lightning blade while your FTH and DEX increase, as it will scale with both. Lightning blade is a great buff when running a faith build coupled with a bit of strength. Also Lightning Spear and Sunlight Spear are pretty godly for PvE.

My collection

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:12 am 

Anyone here heard or seen anything about a game dropping this year called Immortal Unchained? Don't want to get my hopes up too high right now, but this looks seriously wicked. Yes it claims to be a "Soulslike" (yes I know the stigma this will ultimately carry), which comes from the developers themselves, as they are huge fans of the series. My initial reaction is promising, as the aesthetics are stunning, and the combat looks cool, way cooler than The Surge offered.

I look forward to trying this thing out,

My collection

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:18 am 

....Not seeing the stunning aesthetics. :scratch: Looks almost as drab as The Surge or Code Vein. (OK, that last one was kinda mean.)

A lot of these "Souls-likes" just don't have much going for them, it seems. They replicate Souls mechanics and attempt to replicate the level design, but don't really get what makes Souls games so special. So far, Nioh and Salt and Sanctuary are the only non-From Souls-likes that I've really found impressive.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:36 am 

Pillars of Eternity 2 will have every single line of dialog voiced in the game, just like Divinity: Original Sin 2! It will also feature the entire cast of Critical Role, something I know a number of people here are fans of.

PoE2 HYPE
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:32 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Pillars of Eternity 2 will have every single line of dialog voiced in the game, just like Divinity: Original Sin 2! It will also feature the entire cast of Critical Role, something I know a number of people here are fans of.

PoE2 HYPE

Ooh, a new RPG. I remember hearing about the first Pillars of Eternity but something must have turned me off it, because I never did try it out. I love RPGs that are really rooted in character customisation, development, and interaction, though, so I'm interested to see if this will be one of those.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:50 pm 

Picked up some old stuff from a closing store. As Disc Land (local place) gradually slips away, the game pickings there are getting slimmer and slimmer. N64, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, and SNES are almost entirely nothing but meh sports games now. So they're pretty cleaned out.

Still, some gems remain, foremost among them, Gemfire (complete, boxed) for SNES and BlackThorne (complete, boxed) for SNES. Both went home with me, 50% off from their original hefty collector's market prices. For those unaware, BlackThorne was a late-gen SNES release from none other than Blizzard. A puzzle-platformer not too dissimilar from Blizzard's other 16-gen classic, Lost Vikings, or games like Out of this World/Another World or Flashback.

The classic game collector's market is shockingly overpriced lately, which seems to be driven by resellers cranking up prices for no reason aside from blind greed. For instance, a few years ago, I got my Atari Jaguar with 4 boxed games for around $80. One of those games was the original Rayman--again, complete in it's box. At the time, that went for around $30-50. Now, resellers are gouging the shit out of this online, attempting to curry $150-$250 for the same game, sometimes without the box.

While I'm sad to see Disc Land closing, if these absurd prices are how other resellers are behaving, then the more of them to go under, the better. These prices are absolute bullshit and they're killing a normally fun hobby.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:08 pm 

So I've hated fighting games my whole life. But I bought the PS4 release of SNKs Last Blade 2. Now I have calluses. God damn it's so fun but I'm so bad. Was drawn in by gorgeous artwork and animation.

The deflect/parry system along with the desperation moves/super desperation moves make you feel like a god even when you can't beat the 4th level like me.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:16 pm 

Dark Souls Remastered for Switch delayed until "later this summer" :( :( :(

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:19 pm 

Nostalgia spurred me to grab the Mega Man Legacy compilation on the PS4. Fired it up, started with Mega Man 1, and... wow did I forget how tough this game is. The Souls games are small potatoes.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:12 am 

Razakel wrote:

I'm sorry you have to wait longer for an inferior version.

But that's how 3rd party on Nintendo has worked since the N64, since the company has no clue how to make generation-equivalent hardware.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:13 am 

Ezadara wrote:
Nostalgia spurred me to grab the Mega Man Legacy compilation on the PS4. Fired it up, started with Mega Man 1, and... wow did I forget how tough this game is. The Souls games are small potatoes.

Souls games do not respawn all their enemies if you walk a few steps to the left and then back to the right.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:51 am 

I got about four hours of God of War 4 over the weekend.

I'm playing on the "Give Me a Challenge" difficulty and Kratos feels pretty weak so far against other enemies. Especially, in the early stages which is a good thing, because I'm assuming it's building to him becoming ultra powerful.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:05 pm 

Watched a boss fight from the new God of War earlier this morning, and... I dunno. It looks like they kinda "soulsed it up" in the combat style, but then went over the top with the "extra flair" elements. This one fight went for about 12 minutes and the boss' health bar refilled 3 times, while the entire thing was interspersed with cutscenes, annoying dialogue and little mini-glory kill moments a la the matrix. For the first minute or so I was thinking it was great, then it just draaaaaggggged. Even the regular combat sections were still far too long - did it really need an 8-minute punch up?

I'm still definitely gonna get the game, but not while it's $100. I reckon by June it'll be $50.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:06 pm 

I played a bit of it at a friend's house, and believe me, it's a lot more fun to play than to watch.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:03 am 

Ugh, Divinity: Original Sin 2 is such a massive step down from the first game in terms of combat and mechanics.

I still insist that OS1 on the hardest difficulty is one of the best party-based RPGs ever created, despite the generally weak writing. I was hoping Original Sin 2 would dethrone it, but not only is it not superior, it's actually far inferior. How did Larian fuck this up so much? They were doing so well...

Probably the biggest letdown since The Witcher 3, and while DOS2 is nowhere near the unmitigated disaster Witcher 3 turned out to be, I still can't in good faith recommend it.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:22 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:

Wouldn't that be God of War: Ascension?

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:13 am 

Turner wrote:
Watched a boss fight from the new God of War earlier this morning, and... I dunno. It looks like they kinda "soulsed it up" in the combat style, but then went over the top with the "extra flair" elements. This one fight went for about 12 minutes and the boss' health bar refilled 3 times, while the entire thing was interspersed with cutscenes, annoying dialogue and little mini-glory kill moments a la the matrix. For the first minute or so I was thinking it was great, then it just draaaaaggggged. Even the regular combat sections were still far too long - did it really need an 8-minute punch up?

I'm still definitely gonna get the game, but not while it's $100. I reckon by June it'll be $50.

$100??? Where are they charging a hundred dollars for this game?
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:15 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

Wouldn't that be God of War: Ascension?

I've seen this game referred to multiple times as God of War 4, so that's what I've been calling it, but now that you mention it that's not what it's called on the box.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:50 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Razakel wrote:

I'm sorry you have to wait longer for an inferior version.

But that's how 3rd party on Nintendo has worked since the N64, since the company has no clue how to make generation-equivalent hardware.

Nah, this likely means I'll end up getting it for PS4. Only reason that wasn't my initial decision is because the PS4 in my house isn't mine, but I have access to it for the forseeable future. I was skeptical about the Switch version anyway, since the Doom port for Switch was apparently really fucking bad, but I would love to play Dark Souls on Switch if it turned out to work.

I'm thinking about trying out Salt and Sanctuary in the meantime. I don't really know why I haven't played that game yet, since I'm a huge Castlevania fiend and a fairly new Dark Souls fan.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:16 pm 

S&S is :thumbsup:
CoconutBackwards wrote:
$100??? Where are they charging a hundred dollars for this game?

Australia.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:33 pm 

Australia charges $100 for games like God of War where you kill gargantuan monsters because, in VR mode, it doubles as practical training for facing the real-life Australian outdoors.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:45 am 

haha well the exchange rate is about 1AUD = .75US so assuming new-release games are around the $75 mark there...

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:32 pm 

I'm the only person playing God of War?!!!1

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:09 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:

I appear to be the only person I know not playing it.... yet.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:27 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

I appear to be the only person I know not playing it.... yet.

Join the club of non-players!

I wasn't interested at all tbh, but I've heard trustworthy people say the combat is legit good so I might have to some time..

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:39 pm 

You people and your free time

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:04 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:

Probably. Hell, I'm still playing Dark Souls 3. Up to NG+7 now with my first original play through character. Still awesome.

My collection

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:18 am 

Yesterday, Alien Raiders for the Microvision arrived in the mail. The Microvision launched in the late 70's and was the first portable game system to use cartridges. The box for the game is unopened, still sealed in the original plastic wrap (not re-wrapped by the reseller), complete with original marketing materials on the box and two very old price stickers. This game released in 1981 and is the oldest unopened video game I own.

I also now have all 11 Microvision games, so that collection is complete.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:38 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

Probably. Hell, I'm still playing Dark Souls 3. Up to NG+7 now with my first original play through character. Still awesome.

I'm taking a break from Dark Souls/Nioh, but I'll be back.

I played all the GOW games and I got sucked into the hype.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:40 am 

Quote:
I wasn't interested at all tbh, but I've heard trustworthy people say the combat is legit good so I might have to some time..

I am enjoying it, but for all the accolades this game is getting right now it has nothing on Nioh.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:25 am 

rexxz wrote:
You people and your free time

I feel for you unless you have no free time, because of kids.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:12 pm 

Nah I just use the time I have now to keep working on my audio/music career. Moving closer and closer to the finish line (where I can do this as my only job and not on the side). I think by the end of the year I should be in a better place to make that happen, and then after that it's video game city for me.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:07 pm 

Take me down to video game city, where the money is green and the girls are 2D, OH WON'T YOU TAKE ME HOWWWOOMMME

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:18 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Take me down to video game city, where the money is green and the girls are 2D, OH WON'T YOU TAKE ME HOWWWOOMMME

Bwahahahahaha. Good one.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:50 am 

Speaking of rexxz and video games, I'm gonna renege on some of my criticism of Kingdom Come: Deliverance. It's extremely flawed in many ways, but its charges of racism and, surprisingly, even sexism, aren't really well-founded. The lead developer may be a gigantic shithead, but the lion's share of the rest of the contributors to the reported 1.5 million words (!!) in the game don't seem to be. The writing on the whole in fact is very well done. Reminds me a lot of the BBC costume dramas on PBS that my parents' would watch when I was a kid... which shouldn't be surprising since most of the actors come from there.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:14 am 

Pillars of Eternity 2 comes out tomorrow. Should be interesting. I hope it's better than the first one, which was decent IMO but nothing amazing.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:46 am 

darkeningday wrote:
The writing on the whole in fact is very well done. Reminds me a lot of the BBC costume dramas on PBS that my parents' would watch when I was a kid... which shouldn't be surprising since most of the actors come from there.

It's pretty cool, nothing else like it out there at least in the realm of "AAA" style games. That's why I like it so much; it stands out completely on its own in a sea of high-fantasy blockbuster hits, content just doing its own thing and offering no apologies for what it is.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:16 am 

Yeah, plus, Boss Nass! :-D

However, I've heard from multiple people the game becomes brokenly easy way too quickly. I love becoming an OP demigod, but only in the later stages of the game; in KC:D, the second you get plate armor (not really that difficult to get) the game becomes brokenly easy; most enemies won't even be able to put a dent in your stamina bar. You once you level up your thievery skills you can also steal insane amounts of groschen and aforementioned gear from the shops in the world. Now I love Piranha Bytes games, which all suffer from similar pitfalls, but the best armor and weapons in those games had very high stat requirements. This means that you're not going to be able to use them until much, much later, and even then the game only becomes trivial after dozens of hours.

Haven't gotten to that point myself in the game yet though, perhaps it was corrected in a patch.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 846, 847, 848, 849, 850, 851, 852 ... 940  Next