Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ambientsorrow
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:25 am
Posts: 107
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:14 pm 
 

rexxz wrote:
Except in this analogy FO76 is more like a side project rather than a direct continuation of the main band's career trajectory. Again, all of this was stated from the very inception of the game. People who treat it any differently only have themselves to blame.


Except it still carries the Fallout name. It shares characteristics like VATS, perks, S.P.E.C.I.A.L, open wasteland and many, many other things, but more importantly a canon storyline. Saying 76 isn't comparable at all to others in the franchise is complete nonsense.

Top
 Profile  
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:45 am
Posts: 11786
Location: In the Arena
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:46 pm 
 

I gotta agree with rexxz that expecting a multiplayer-only game to be like a singleplayer-only game is silly. That's like getting mad that Unreal Tournament doesn't have a good storyline like Unreal did. Multiplayer spinoffs of singleplayer franchises is basically as old as gaming.
_________________
MorbidBlood wrote:
So the winner is Destruction and Infernal Overkill is the motherfucking skullcrushing poserkilling satan-worshiping 666 FUCK YOU greatest german thrash record.

Top
 Profile  
rexxz
Where's your band?

Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:45 pm
Posts: 8945
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:12 pm 
 

The only time that kind of expectation is ever reasonable is when it is set by the developers themselves. For example, if they told everyone that while FO76 *is* multiplayer only, they designed it to play as closely as possible to their previous entries (including fully scripted NPCs with a self contained plot, various characters with their own identities and so forth) then I could see the validity in that perspective. But the reality is they did the complete opposite and were very candid, open and honest with their fans as to what kind of game they should expect in FO76. Doesn't mean anyone has to like it at all of course, but to hate on the game because it isn't super similar to the rest of the series is just absurd.

failsafeman wrote:
Multiplayer spinoffs of singleplayer franchises is basically as old as gaming.


Exactly. How any of this is surprising or worthy of any kind of discussion just escapes me.
_________________
Hexenkraft - diabolical cyberpunk darksynth
Cosmic Atrophy - extradimensional death metal

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 9507
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:35 pm 
 

ambientsorrow wrote:
Yeah because when a band releases an an album that's little bit different in style to the previous ones no-one compares it to them or states "It's their worst album" etc...

Like rexxz said, the music equivalent to a spin-off is a side-project, not a follow-up album.

ambientsorrow wrote:
Except it still carries the Fallout name.

So does Fallout Tactics yet it plays completely different... because it's a spin-off. It has the Fallout name because because it's in the same world/lore/etc.

Christ you people are dense, lol.

failsafeman wrote:
I gotta agree with rexxz that expecting a multiplayer-only game to be like a singleplayer-only game is silly. That's like getting mad that Unreal Tournament doesn't have a good storyline like Unreal did. Multiplayer spinoffs of singleplayer franchises is basically as old as gaming.

This.
_________________
Von Cichlid wrote:
I work with plenty of Oriental and Indian persons and we get along pretty good, and some females as well.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Top
 Profile  
ambientsorrow
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:25 am
Posts: 107
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:02 pm 
 

rexxz wrote:
Exactly. How any of this is surprising or worthy of any kind of discussion just escapes me.


And it escapes me that a largely cut-and-paste job from Fallout 4 like Fallout 76 shouldn't be compared to others in the franchise just because it has multiplayer elements. (Which by the way can be deactivated for those that prefer a largely much more single player experience.)


Morrigan wrote:
So does Fallout Tactics yet it plays completely different... because it's a spin-off. It has the Fallout name because because it's in the same world/lore/etc.

Christ you people are dense, lol.


So by your logic, everything after Fallout 2 should be considered a spin-off because they're not isometric turn-based games? You might want to have a think about what you're typing before you call people dense.

Top
 Profile  
KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:06 am
Posts: 101
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:41 am 
 

The games changing from isometric to FPS doesn't impact the world or the lore though lol

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 4404
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:34 am 
 

Yeah, how dare people compare Metal Gear Survive to MGSV or Resident Evil Umbrella Core to Resident Evil games...

Anyway, whether judged as a Fallout game or judged as a Rust-clone carrying the Fallout brand (and engine, and most of the code, and many of the same animations/textures, and most of the same gameplay/leveling mechanics, and most of the same 'lore delivery' as the last numbered Fallout entry), it's apparently "dogshit":

Youtube: show
_________________
\m/ xXdArKen uR dAyXx \m/

Top
 Profile  
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:33 pm
Posts: 2496
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:46 am 
 

rexxz wrote:
Except in this analogy FO76 is more like a side project rather than a direct continuation of the main band's career trajectory. Again, all of this was stated from the very inception of the game. People who treat it any differently only have themselves to blame.



When Dave Mustaine did a side project, it was not still called "Megadeth."

To be fair, I am personally judging Fallout 76 for what it is--a basic online multiplayer shooter with a Fallout skin. Shit I don't play, don't care for, don't have time for, and that is usually grossly skewed if not outright ruined by a small core of overly dedicated players.

And to be fair, I am disappointed at what it isn't--I want a regular Fallout game that is about, basically, everything the Fallout games were known for. Plus the dialog depth of, at the very least, New Vegas. Funny how the last "side project" Fallout game was more Fallout than anything that came after. At any rate, judging Fallout 76 for what it is, in this case, is hardly different from judging it for what it isn't. It is not a normal Fallout game but it is also a shallow genre I have no interest in for the aforementioned reasons.

People can dislike the game (movie, TV show, book, music, etc.) for what it fails to be when it is clearly branded as an existing IP. When Nintendo made, say, Paper Mario, they did not claim it was the next regular Super Mario game, nor was it branded as one. When they made Link's Crossbow Bullshit, they did not label it with the typical "Legend of Zelda" moniker or IP--it wasn't "The Legend of Zelda: Link's Crossboy Shooty Gallery". Again to my note about Fallout: New Vegas also being considered a "side game" despite carrying the same initial labeling, while in many ways being more Fallout than Fallout 3 (per my understanding, my time with F1 and F2 is rather brief), and definitely "more Fallout" than "mainline" title, Fallout 4, which essentially removed the dialog options and made many perks borderline useless. The Brotherhood of Steel offshoot on the original Xbox and PC was actually branded as a side project correctly--the Fallout name was reduced and the Brotherhood of Steel was the primary branding.

So I get why people are upset this is a lame-ass online-only shootery offshoot in a completely different genre. I get why some people, myself included, would lose interest simply because of what it is--which no one seems to be addressing. It's okay to just not like the fucking genre and it's okay to be disappointed that it's not a "mainline" Fallout game and it's understandable that people might see a worrying trend since the franchise has been watering itself down bit by bit with most (not all) newer entries.

Per it's genre, it's great that some people have the unlimited time to dedicate 40 hours a week or more playing the same game over and over, but I just don't have that. That shit gets exhausting and I'm playing games to fucking relax, generally. These days, I'm lucky if I get a couple hours to myself to play pretty much anything. And even when I did have way more time, I would still rather break up my time with more than one game. That is just not my style. Fallout 76 is not my style. Oh well, I'm just not going to buy it.

If Paradise Lost suddenly released, say, a K-Pop album still labeled as "Paradise Lost," I'd approach it the same way. "This is not what I expect of this band" and "this is not to my taste."
_________________
Warm Fuzzy Cynical comics.
Warm Fuzzy Cynical Facebook page.

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 9507
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:05 pm 
 

ambientsorrow wrote:
So by your logic, everything after Fallout 2 should be considered a spin-off because they're not isometric turn-based games? You might want to have a think about what you're typing before you call people dense.

But those aren't even spin-offs. :scratch: They were not advertised as spin-offs, but as an evolution of the franchise. If someone did have a problem with FO3 because it wasn't isometric like the originals and disliked the new direction, that'd actually make more sense, even if I'd disagree with it.

The point here is that Fallout 76 was clearly marketed as a multiplayer spin-off and not a mainline, iterative sequel or a new direction of the franchise. You can still hate it (I'm not interested by it one bit, myself), but to say it's bad because it's MP and not SP is, indeed, being dense.

Resident_Hazard wrote:
So I get why people are upset this is a lame-ass online-only shootery offshoot in a completely different genre. I get why some people, myself included, would lose interest simply because of what it is--which no one seems to be addressing. It's okay to just not like the fucking genre and it's okay to be disappointed that it's not a "mainline" Fallout game and it's understandable that people might see a worrying trend since the franchise has been watering itself down bit by bit with most (not all) newer entries.

But then you'd be disappointed at the game the very moment it was announced, right? That's fine. Upon it being announced I also thought "yeah no, hard pass". What I didn't do is think "oh, new Fallout game, cool!", buy it, play it, and then say "WTF is this multiplayer trash?? where's my storytelling and dialogue choices etc?".

That's the difference here.
_________________
Von Cichlid wrote:
I work with plenty of Oriental and Indian persons and we get along pretty good, and some females as well.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Top
 Profile  
rexxz
Where's your band?

Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:45 pm
Posts: 8945
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:15 pm 
 

Right, I'm not sure why it's so hard to understand what we are trying to say here. I feel like we have just been repeating the same thing over and over, and it's obviously not getting the point across. /shrug

And anyway, on a separate but slightly related note I still don't understand how anyone could be disappointed that something exists that they specifically might not like (even from the perspective of a mega fan). Hundreds of thousands of movies and games and books get made every year, a single individual is really only going to like a small percent of them. Does it really even make sense to get negatively affected by the mere existence of entertainment? I am differentiating between simply holding a negative opinion on something (ie; I don't like this), and allowing yourself to be emotionally impacted by your own subjective taste in regards to titles which don't comply with your taste (ie; I am so disappointed/upset/mad/whatever that they did this). It's a bit ridiculous if you ask me. I'm a huge fan of the Castlevania series too, and when they started that 10 year run of making 3D Castlevania titles, I didn't complain about it even in the slightest. Simply ignored them and moved on because I don't have the time or energy to let things like that bother me and there are so many other titles out there that will get my attention.
_________________
Hexenkraft - diabolical cyberpunk darksynth
Cosmic Atrophy - extradimensional death metal

Top
 Profile  
ambientsorrow
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:25 am
Posts: 107
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:58 pm 
 

Morrigan wrote:
But those aren't even spin-offs. :scratch: They were not advertised as spin-offs, but as an evolution of the franchise. If someone did have a problem with FO3 because it wasn't isometric like the originals and disliked the new direction, that'd actually make more sense, even if I'd disagree with it.

The point here is that Fallout 76 was clearly marketed as a multiplayer spin-off and not a mainline, iterative sequel or a new direction of the franchise. You can still hate it (I'm not interested by it one bit, myself), but to say it's bad because it's MP and not SP is, indeed, being dense.


If you want to buy into the marketing surrounding Fallout 76, that's fine. Unfortunately for you, not everyone else is as gulliable. 76 is a part of the same timeline as Fallouts 1 through 4 because the story is placed around pre-dating the events of 1, so I'm not sure why you want to dissasociate it from those games just because it's a spin off. Otherwise where would do you put Fallout: New Vegas, because that's a spin off as well and people have had no problem associating it with the others. The multiplayer aspect (which can be disabled to play single player, like I've said) shouldn't be seen as anything other than an evolution of the franchise like the one made from 2 to 3 as you put it. If it had an isolated, stand alone story I'd see your point, but it doesn't. So if you want to continue insinuating that comparing Fallout 76 to 1 through 4 is a load of nonsense, that's fine as well. At least I know I'm not the one in the minority of the all the others that have played the game that think otherwise. Oh, and at no point did I say it was bad for bring MP and not SP. I just said it was disappointing they took a multiplayer approach.

Top
 Profile  
Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:44 am
Posts: 3630
Location: eccaira nare epë Anar
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:09 am 
 

rexxz wrote:
Hundreds of thousands of movies and games and books get made every year, a single individual is really only going to like a small percent of them. Does it really even make sense to get negatively affected by the mere existence of entertainment?....and allowing yourself to be emotionally impacted


I don't know, I feel like the mere existence of Alien vs Predator as a concept is pretty solid evidence that a piece of entertainment can traumatize by its mere existence.
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
On Friday I passed an important milestone in my teaching career: a student shat himself

FloristOfVampyrism wrote:
That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

Top
 Profile  
acid_bukkake
SAD!

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 am
Posts: 1209
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:28 am 
 

I'm not sure if that's a pro or a con given the only medium AVP hasn't flourished in is cinema.
_________________
darkeningday wrote:
Everyone knows the Easter Bunny died for our sins when he was chopped up into little pieces so Judas Priest could feed the 5000 animals in the Ark.

Top
 Profile  
PvtNinjer
Veteran

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:45 am
Posts: 3853
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:13 pm 
 

rexxz wrote:
Does it really even make sense to get negatively affected by the mere existence of entertainment? I am differentiating between simply holding a negative opinion on something (ie; I don't like this), and allowing yourself to be emotionally impacted by your own subjective taste in regards to titles which don't comply with your taste (ie; I am so disappointed/upset/mad/whatever that they did this). It's a bit ridiculous if you ask me. I'm a huge fan of the Castlevania series too, and when they started that 10 year run of making 3D Castlevania titles, I didn't complain about it even in the slightest. Simply ignored them and moved on because I don't have the time or energy to let things like that bother me and there are so many other titles out there that will get my attention.


I agree with you, but I think it's understandable in the sense that so many people in our society base their entire identities on their media consumption. When life is so devoid of meaning and community and someone spends all their free time gaming and, I dunno commenting on video game shit online, I can't say I'm surprised when we see gamers online having meltdowns over whatever stupid shit is pissing them off this week.

Top
 Profile  
Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:16 pm
Posts: 7818
Location: The Land Down Under (no, not THAT one)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:09 pm 
 

So, turns out The Evil Within 2, while still a bit flawed in some ways, is several times better than its predecessor. Pretty much every single gameplay aspect has been refined, and while the horror is still a bit more of the "gross you out" variety than I'd prefer, it's a lot of fun. It strikes a kind of action/horror balance I haven't really seen since Resident Evil 4, I think, and it's got some legitimately scary sections, so I can dig it. My only real complaint is that the antagonists could be better; "artistic serial killer" and "sinister priest guy" are very played out archetypes, and the game doesn't do much to make them stand out beyond pure visual flair.
_________________
Napero wrote:
(...) Bolt Thrower is to the soul what coffee is to the earthly shell.

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 9507
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:22 am 
 

ambientsorrow wrote:
If you want to buy into the marketing surrounding Fallout 76, that's fine. Unfortunately for you, not everyone else is as gulliable.

OK this is borderline trolling now. You refuse to "buy into the marketing" surrounding it, which clearly marked it as a separate, special, different kind of spin-off, and then you are... unhappy that it's not like the mainline Fallouts. This makes zero sense.

- "I'm disappointed in FO76 because it's not a real Fallout"
- "But it was never marketed as such"
- "Yeah but I'm not so gullible as to believe them when they said it!"

:facepalm:
_________________
Von Cichlid wrote:
I work with plenty of Oriental and Indian persons and we get along pretty good, and some females as well.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 4404
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:06 am 
 

I'm kinda amazed by the sheer amount of internet butthurt and fury over this game. It's kinda hilarious, I guess gamers haven't had a good thing to vent about lately and it could certainly to be a less-deserving company than Bethesda.

At the same time, I agree with rexxz in that all of the personal offense people are taking for a game that isn't even made for them isn't just unwarranted; it's profoundly sad. Though it shouldn't be in the least bit surprising, given that this is the same "community" that produced hundreds of thousands of single-spaced size 12 font 200 page theses on Gamergate and countless hour-long screaming youtube rants gathering millions of views about how No Man's Sky is literal fraud and whatnot.

Still looks exactly like a Fallout 4 multiplayer mod to me though.
_________________
\m/ xXdArKen uR dAyXx \m/

Top
 Profile  
Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:16 pm
Posts: 7818
Location: The Land Down Under (no, not THAT one)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:44 pm 
 

The fact that most gamers are permanently butthurt, childish little bitches is basically a universal constant. Not at all surprised.

The only thing I care about regarding Fallout 76 is the fact that it's got an adorable version of Mothman in it. It's all fuzzy!
_________________
Napero wrote:
(...) Bolt Thrower is to the soul what coffee is to the earthly shell.

Top
 Profile  
ambientsorrow
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:25 am
Posts: 107
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:05 pm 
 

Morrigan wrote:
OK this is borderline trolling now. You refuse to "buy into the marketing" surrounding it, which clearly marked it as a separate, special, different kind of spin-off, and then you are... unhappy that it's not like the mainline Fallouts. This makes zero sense.


I'm not surprised you are selectively quoting me to base an argument around. I've already told you that it's a cut-and-paste job of 4, being able to disable PvP and that the story falls on the same timeline as 1 through 4 amongst other things, yet you don't want to take that into account. You want to continually peddle some marketing blurb by Todd Howard. The map is 4 times larger than Fallout 4 and it has been pretty common for people to go hours at a time without bumping into another player on the server, yet if someone wanders by, trades with them before moving on you want to define that as a cOmPlEtLy DiFfErEnT gAmE. Like, incomparable to Fallout 4. Yeah, there is a co-op aspect to it as well. So what? Games like Dead Space 3 and Resident Evil 5 introduced it into their series and they're treated no different. Anyway, I thought we'd moved on in this day and age as taking corporate speak as gospel. Otherwise, I'm selling some essential oils that have some GREAT healing benefits as well as properties which promote HEALTHY ways to increase attentiveness when it comes to reading. Would you like to buy some?

For anything else, I'm not butthurt, angry or upset over Fallout 76, I don't actually care all that much about it as a game. I'm just defending my position that it's ok to compare it against others in the series.

Top
 Profile  
rexxz
Where's your band?

Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:45 pm
Posts: 8945
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:53 pm 
 

Except we've already correctly demonstrated why it's not an ok comparison to make, but keep going on thinking that it is I guess? I suppose by the same logic everyone should be upset that Unreal Tournament wasn't a single player, story-driven game, like failsafeman aptly pointed out. :durr:
_________________
Hexenkraft - diabolical cyberpunk darksynth
Cosmic Atrophy - extradimensional death metal

Top
 Profile  
ambientsorrow
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:25 am
Posts: 107
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:40 pm 
 

So Unreal went from a game that was campaign only to Unreal Tournament that had a campaign with multiplayer which were COMPLETELY SEPERATE from each other? The storylines weren't even related to each other, either. So it's not even comparable to Fallout 4 > 76. You haven't correctly demonstrated anything. :durr:

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 9507
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:56 pm 
 

Quote:
Otherwise, I'm selling some essential oils that have some GREAT healing benefits as well as properties which promote HEALTHY ways to increase attentiveness when it comes to reading. Would you like to buy some?

Yeah, I was right after all. You are just plain trolling and shitposting now. Clearly, disagreeing over video game categories is the same as falling for snake oil scams.

Please take a step back from the Internet.
_________________
Von Cichlid wrote:
I work with plenty of Oriental and Indian persons and we get along pretty good, and some females as well.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Top
 Profile  
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:33 pm
Posts: 2496
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:09 am 
 

Morrigan wrote:

Resident_Hazard wrote:
So I get why people are upset this is a lame-ass online-only shootery offshoot in a completely different genre. I get why some people, myself included, would lose interest simply because of what it is--which no one seems to be addressing. It's okay to just not like the fucking genre and it's okay to be disappointed that it's not a "mainline" Fallout game and it's understandable that people might see a worrying trend since the franchise has been watering itself down bit by bit with most (not all) newer entries.

But then you'd be disappointed at the game the very moment it was announced, right? That's fine. Upon it being announced I also thought "yeah no, hard pass". What I didn't do is think "oh, new Fallout game, cool!", buy it, play it, and then say "WTF is this multiplayer trash?? where's my storytelling and dialogue choices etc?".

That's the difference here.


I was disappointed the moment it was announced and they actually managed to clarify "yeah online shooty time with friends only." I'm bummed, but eh, to be fair, I still haven't finished Fallout 4, so I've been playing that when I'm doing something alone. Now I'm just disappointed in the garbage dialog system. *rimshots* (I thought there was a rimshots emoji.)


Moving on from the fallout of Fallout 76:

My son and I have been playing Divinity Original Sin 2, and since he finally did his damn homework, we were able to fire it up again. These games never cease to surprise in the wacky things you can do. After learning the "Bless" Source spell, we did nothing with it, which is the opposite of what you're supposed to do with new abilities in this game. Then, while we were failing a boss battle, I blessed the fire I'd inexplicably set around us and WHEN YOU BLESS FIRE IT HEALS YOU. So that suddenly threw a new dynamic to the game and we went around blessing a whole bunch of stuff. Finished two more quests just because of that ability.
_________________
Warm Fuzzy Cynical comics.
Warm Fuzzy Cynical Facebook page.

Top
 Profile  
CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:02 pm
Posts: 457
Location: Walled Lake, MI
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:31 pm 
 

Hollow Knight is worth the $15, but I'm not getting the sheer passionate love that I've seen in this thread.

It is a good Metroidvania though and I am enjoying.
_________________
GTog:
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Top
 Profile  
Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 7082
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:45 pm 
 

I hope it pulls you in further! How deep have you gone? I'm at like 90-something percent with over 50 hours in, and can easily say it's a dream game for me. It feels so personal and passionate. Ultra crispy controls and beautiful art. I liked it from the beginning but the sheer amount of STUFF to discover plus the subtly unfolding story line took me beyond the stars. I'm smitten for sure.
_________________
I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due...

Top
 Profile  
CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:02 pm
Posts: 457
Location: Walled Lake, MI
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:23 am 
 

Your passion is very contagious and I want to like this game at your level.

I'm maybe five or six hours in. The main plot point I've reached is those three dream warriors or whatever they were called banishing me to another realm. Now that you say the controls are so "crisp" I'll admit that I didn't even think of how the controls compare to other games of this genre. I guess I'd have to play something else before I'd agree.

They did a good job with the creepy/horror factor in the deepnest. My shit was real concerned with all those bugs emerging from the ground that I was somewhere I didn't belong yet when I first got there. I didn't find the treasure for beating the Mantis warriors till going through there for a second time. I thought it seemed kind of cheap that my reward for beating them was passage to another map.
_________________
GTog:
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Top
 Profile  
acid_bukkake
SAD!

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 am
Posts: 1209
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:59 am 
 

Jonpo is even more contagious if you actually converse with him. We had a few rounds of Nidhogg together a year ago and it was a blast.
_________________
darkeningday wrote:
Everyone knows the Easter Bunny died for our sins when he was chopped up into little pieces so Judas Priest could feed the 5000 animals in the Ark.

Top
 Profile  
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:46 pm
Posts: 5238
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:34 am 
 

Hollow Knight is so good that when I got Shadow of the Tomb Raider from the library and had three weeks to play it, I was thinking about how much less fun I was having than playing Hollow Knight almost the entire time. Kind of soured the experience!
_________________
theposaga about a Moonblood rehearsal wrote:
So good. Makes me want to break up with my girlfriend, quit my job and never move out of my parents house. Just totally destroy my life for Satan.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Top
 Profile  
Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 7082
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:51 am 
 

Coconut: Oh my man, you're just getting started! There's so much left to do, and so much to discover. The game really comes alive as you start to discover new abilities and build up your power. I sincerely hope I didn't set you up for any kind of disappointment though. I know I can get a little zany about my love for this game but it just connects with me on a weird level. It's my favorite TYPE of game (2D, exploration-based with excellent combat/controls) and it just happens to be executed flawlessly (imo of course). I hope it blooms for you, let us know! Deepnest was a fucking nightmare lol. I'm still not sure I've found everything there. Probably not.

acid_bukkake: That really was fun as fuck dude! It makes me feel good that it was memorable for you too! I see you online all the time (good user names tend to stand out greatly on my friends list...) but we don't play much of the same shit I don't think. Would you believe I still fire up Nidhogg to play by myself from time to time? I'm baaaaad at it now but I'm always down for a game if you're feeling it. Did you ever try the second one? I love the idea of adding ranged weapons, I just hated the graphics so much. They went over-the-top goofy.
_________________
I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due...

Top
 Profile  
CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:02 pm
Posts: 457
Location: Walled Lake, MI
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:14 pm 
 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Jonpo is even more contagious if you actually converse with him. We had a few rounds of Nidhogg together a year ago and it was a blast.


Ha! I looked up nidhogg, because I thought it was some kind of beer I'd never heard of.
_________________
GTog:
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Top
 Profile  
Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 7082
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:19 pm 
 

LOL, okay, I do see how that looks with zero context. Nah, it's a stick figure sword fighting tug-of-war game, naturally! I don't know about beers but I know for sure we were smokin' something good :)
_________________
I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due...

Top
 Profile  
CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:02 pm
Posts: 457
Location: Walled Lake, MI
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:25 pm 
 

Jonpo: The praise you give these games can only help. It always makes experiences so much more enjoyable when someone is as passionate about something as you are.
_________________
GTog:
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Top
 Profile  
Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 7082
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:07 pm 
 

Oh okay cool. I just didn't want to set you up for a disappointment. I spent most of my life not giving a fuck about video games, but I was playing the wrong shit the whole time! So I get maybe a little extra hyped about modern-retro stuff like Hollow Knight, Hyper Light Drifter, and Specter Knight.

P.S. I'm still hopelessly obsessed with Brawlhalla. The world championships just happened over the weekend and it had me so hyped to play and develop my skills. I'm still garbage and usually get bodied in 1v1s but I'm learning damn it.

I'm also on a mission to beat Hotline Miami 2, which I originally gave up on for not giving me the same "freedom" I had in the first one. Ultimately though, I fucking love the first one and there's enough of it's spirit in the sequel that I want to see it through. Talk about a simple game executed well, god damn!
_________________
I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due...

Top
 Profile  
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:45 am
Posts: 11786
Location: In the Arena
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:08 am 
 

Hotline Miami 2 demonstrates that more is sometimes less. They threw a ton of new ideas out there and some of them were good, some of them were meh, and some of them were downright aggravating. I got pretty close to the end but the levels just started getting ridiculously huge and frustrating.
_________________
MorbidBlood wrote:
So the winner is Destruction and Infernal Overkill is the motherfucking skullcrushing poserkilling satan-worshiping 666 FUCK YOU greatest german thrash record.

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 4404
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:18 am 
 

It just kept going on and on and on and would not fucking end, I just threw in the towel eventually. A shame because I thought the soundtrack might have even been better than the first one, which was already great.
_________________
\m/ xXdArKen uR dAyXx \m/

Top
 Profile  
Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 7082
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:20 am 
 

Well...shit! I honestly figured it was a pretty short game but uh, damn. I do still love pulling up the first one just to replay random levels. And I do sometimes play either one just to listen to the soundtrack.
_________________
I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due...

Top
 Profile  
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:45 am
Posts: 11786
Location: In the Arena
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:41 pm 
 

I really like the first part of HM2, and some of the "Vietnam" flashback levels are great as well, but as the game goes on the levels get bigger and bigger and unfortunately the game frontloads its creative character designs - the twins are one of the funnest characters in either of the two games to play as, but after the first part you never play as them again.

However, I do think the story is interesting, like dd said the soundtrack is great, and I really like the atmosphere. Thematically it's a great continuation, it's the level design and pacing of the gameplay that holds it back.
_________________
MorbidBlood wrote:
So the winner is Destruction and Infernal Overkill is the motherfucking skullcrushing poserkilling satan-worshiping 666 FUCK YOU greatest german thrash record.

Top
 Profile  
acid_bukkake
SAD!

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 am
Posts: 1209
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:18 pm 
 

RDR2 is the first game that's made me cry. There are a few pacing issues early on and throughout the Epilogue, and let's not forget Chapter 5 feeling like an entirely different game, but holy SHIT Arthur Morgan is a GOAT protagonist contender. 9.5/10
_________________
darkeningday wrote:
Everyone knows the Easter Bunny died for our sins when he was chopped up into little pieces so Judas Priest could feed the 5000 animals in the Ark.

Top
 Profile  
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:46 pm
Posts: 5238
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:15 am 
 

Man, I've hit a wall when it comes to Hollow Knight. Basically only have Nightmare King Grimm and the Pantheons left. Sitting at 107% completion. Grimm is just...god damn. I feel like my reaction time is too slow to ever beat this shit. And I thought my first encounter with him was tough! Man, that music though! As for the pantheons, I got to the last part of the first one (the twin nailmasters) pretty easily but then sort of got wrecked. It's pretty discouraging to try again because of how long it takes. I feel like I'll probably give it a few more hours and then step away for a while if I don't make any significant progress. All in all, I cannot believe I only spent 15$ on this game. I'm 36 hours in, which is insane value!
_________________
theposaga about a Moonblood rehearsal wrote:
So good. Makes me want to break up with my girlfriend, quit my job and never move out of my parents house. Just totally destroy my life for Satan.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 9507
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:49 pm 
 

I gave up on NKG. :(
_________________
Von Cichlid wrote:
I work with plenty of Oriental and Indian persons and we get along pretty good, and some females as well.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 859, 860, 861, 862, 863  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group