Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:39 am 

Will be reading that review asap! That's a great way to kill time here at work anyways lol. I've seen Slain on sale for various prices about 100 million times on PS4 but I'll be honest, I'm a bit leery of anything that is advertised as being "made for heavy metal fans". I always assumed it was gonna be corny or the controls would be terrible or something! Thanks for the head's up. Owlboy is gorgeous but yeah, the gameplay looked really boring to me.

Celeste is amazing. The feeling of accomplishment is supreme, but I hardly ever become frustrated. The intuitive way they hide secret areas makes you feel like some kind of genius. Oh and the "boss fights" are SO FKING FUN!

edit: Your review is intriguing. I wasn't totally sure but I think you swung me with the boss fights. Also, wow it really is a gorgeous game. The PS4 trailer must have been dog shit.

CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:33 pm 

From what I've read it sounds like it's a good idea I didn't hurry up and buy Anthem. It sounds like a boring grind fest and with underwhelming sales EA will probably just nuke the game entirely. I heard it's selling worse than Mass Effect: Andromeda did at this point.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Hellenic_Heros
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:42 am 

Hyped as fuck for Chronicles of Elyria. Basically, from whats been released, the world is VERY dependent on player actions. Player politics, player generated areas (To some extent), player run economy and also the one thing that really got me suprised, player (for the most part) families. You can have kids who inherit your soul once you die giving them your skills/making it easier to level up whatever path you went down. Generally seems like it'll be a cool game that addresses many problems with current MMOs (Like infinite resources/money. Thats a HUGE problem in modern MMOs with major inflation in markets.)

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:06 pm 

Okay, so F4's settlement-building is kind of addicting. I just used up the last of my missiles getting ghoul corpses out of the rafters!

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:46 pm 

Who's ready for SEKIRO? :evil:

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:02 pm 

MaleficDevilry wrote:

You rang...?

Agh, damn, false alarm.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:03 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
From what I've read it sounds like it's a good idea I didn't hurry up and buy Anthem. It sounds like a boring grind fest and with underwhelming sales EA will probably just nuke the game entirely. I heard it's selling worse than Mass Effect: Andromeda did at this point.

Makes you wonder if BioWare is done for.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:11 pm 

It isn't helping that it's crashing PS4s.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:19 pm 

At first I hoped Destiny 2 could fill the giant Borderlands 3-sized hole in my heart, but I got bored with that after 3 weeks. Then it looked like Anthem had the potential since the gameplay, unlike D2, was at least challenging*, but....nope.

I'm one of the six people who thought Fallout 76 actually had potential, so it's been a rather disappointing 4 months for me, haha.

*Seriously, I solo'd the first campaign's final boss without dying once, and could solo just about everything else that wasn't a raid. And I'm not very good at FPS's, all things considered.
In the end- in life- aren't we all sort of wearing corpse-paint in front of a crowd of strangers? Or is that the most pathetic metal-themed analogy ever uttered? I cannot tell, but I feel a bit ashamed now.

NEW Valcove album: https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge

CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:41 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
At first I hoped Destiny 2 could fill the giant Borderlands 3-sized hole in my heart, but I got bored with that after 3 weeks. Then it looked like Anthem had the potential since the gameplay, unlike D2, was at least challenging*, but....nope.

I'm one of the six people who thought Fallout 76 actually had potential, so it's been a rather disappointing 4 months for me, haha.

*Seriously, I solo'd the first campaign's final boss without dying once, and could solo just about everything else that wasn't a raid. And I'm not very good at FPS's, all things considered.

I've heard people say February is a bad month for video games and as a consumer we should be wary of games dumped in February (Anthem, Far Cry: New Dawn, Crackdown 3).

I'm excited for Sekiro at the end of this month, but it feels like we've hit a lull which is probably a good thing for me anyway.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:49 pm 

Whoever decided not to give you some kind of observation mode for settlement building is an idiot. Basically being limited by the location and orientation of your avatar is infuriating . Also you would think they would have sized the settlement houses so that your building materials actually fit them! Nope.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:34 pm 

Hey Jonpo, I forgot to mention that I did start playing The Messenger on Switch shortly after you brought it to my attention. It is a totally wonderful game! I only just made it to the well-advertised "twist" and I already feel like I've gotten my money's worth even though there's more than half the game ahead of me. It's an absolute blast - amazingly fun and challenging platforming, air-tight controls, ass-kicking soundtrack, beautiful 8-bit and 16-bit graphics, quirky humour. The enemy variety and combat is fairly limited but all of the bosses are really cool. Can't wait to keep going! Thanks for bringing this one to my attention.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:14 pm 

Awww damn, that's so cool to hear. It sounds like basically everything I was hoping for. I'm still waiting on a little bday cash-infusion so I can get a PC that will run it. I'm so glad you're loving it though dude!

In addition to drooling all over Celeste, I restarted Momodora: Reverie Under Moonlight due to getting stuck fairly early on and Strider (PS4 version) which I thought was terrible originally (about 8 months ago). For some reason Strider has really grabbed me. It's not difficult at all but it is really fun constantly getting some kind of powerful new upgrade, and there are really obvious "secrets" hidden everywhere. I'd love to play Strider 2 for the PS1 some day. It looks gorgeous.

I'm going to start a new game on Guacamelee at some point as well. I stalled out very early into this game in favor of darker stuff like Salt&Sanctuary. But I think I'm missing out. Gucamelee and Axiom Verge are two games I want to start over on.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:51 am 

I forgot! Devil May Cry 5 on Friday!! UGH. I loved 1, 3 and 4. I still haven't played DMC though. Time to go on a binge.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:54 am 

Alright, so I haven't posted in this thread for a long time, but I ended up purchasing this. For those that don't want to click, it's a $7,000+ gaming laptop with an i9 6-core processor, GeForce RTX2080 video card, 64GB RAM, 2TB HDD and 1.5TB SSD, 17.3" screen with 1920x1080 resolution.

Why did I purchase such a laptop? I had been thinking about it for months that I should get one and kept putting it off because obviously it's very expensive. Eventually I decided that if I keep thinking about it, I must want it, so I lashed out. Plus I haven't gamed for a while and I wouldn't mind getting back into it. I have new-ish games like Doom (2016) and GTA V just sitting around because I've been unable to play them on my system, so I'm keen to give them both a shot. Plus I will go check out some games that have been recently released that look good.

I haven't received the laptop yet as it's coming from the United States, but should hopefully be here within 2 weeks if nothing goes wrong.

I've been out of the loop with games for many years but keen to see what's out there again.

ReignInBloodyGore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:17 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Alright, so I haven't posted in this thread for a long time, but I ended up purchasing this. For those that don't want to click, it's a $7,000+ gaming laptop with an i9 6-core processor, GeForce RTX2080 video card, 64GB RAM, 2TB HDD and 1.5TB SSD, 17.3" screen with 1920x1080 resolution.

Why did I purchase such a laptop? I had been thinking about it for months that I should get one and kept putting it off because obviously it's very expensive. Eventually I decided that if I keep thinking about it, I must want it, so I lashed out. Plus I haven't gamed for a while and I wouldn't mind getting back into it. I have new-ish games like Doom (2016) and GTA V just sitting around because I've been unable to play them on my system, so I'm keen to give them both a shot. Plus I will go check out some games that have been recently released that look good.

I haven't received the laptop yet as it's coming from the United States, but should hopefully be here within 2 weeks if nothing goes wrong.

I've been out of the loop with games for many years but keen to see what's out there again.

That’s badass. I’d love to have something like that. Be sure to dust it often, and probably cover it up good when you’re not using it. Let the bottom get some ventilation while it’s on. I like the idea of investing in a nice gaming laptop, but unfortunately I’ve found that laptops just don’t last well in comparison to desktops. Mostly because most people don’t know how to properly take care of a laptop though. Treat that new laptop like a fancy car, and enjoy it man!

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:54 am 

That IS a badass laptop. :bow: I would go desktop if I was buying a gaming rig, but that's just me.

CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:04 am 

Quote:

Holy fuck! Livin' LARGE.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:34 am 

Holy shit, that's like six times the cost of my gaming desktop. :lol: Ooc, why'd you go with a laptop and not a desktop? Planning on traveling with it?
In the end- in life- aren't we all sort of wearing corpse-paint in front of a crowd of strangers? Or is that the most pathetic metal-themed analogy ever uttered? I cannot tell, but I feel a bit ashamed now.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:52 am 

....that'll run The Messenger!

Fun with math: The cost of your laptop (estimated at 7k even) would pay my apartment rent for literally a whole year!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:01 pm 

You apartment rents in AUD? :P

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:46 pm 

Yes.
(He said it was shipping from the US so I assumed that was USD.)

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:47 pm 

Thanks guys. :)

I went laptop purely for space reasons. Once I move out I'll have more room to spread out, but my living arrangements at the moment means I have to get a laptop. In the future I might get a gaming desktop, but I'm happy with the current purchase.

I paid for it in Australian dollars. If it was in American the conversion would've killed me, haha.

ReignInBloodyGore wrote:
That’s badass. I’d love to have something like that. Be sure to dust it often, and probably cover it up good when you’re not using it. Let the bottom get some ventilation while it’s on. I like the idea of investing in a nice gaming laptop, but unfortunately I’ve found that laptops just don’t last well in comparison to desktops. Mostly because most people don’t know how to properly take care of a laptop though. Treat that new laptop like a fancy car, and enjoy it man!

Thanks mate, and yeah I will be looking after it and allowing it to get ventilation when I can. I'd like this to last for a long time if possible. :)

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:55 pm 

MaleficDevilry wrote:

I am getting impatient now. I even restarted a new Nioh file to distract me while I wait...

Using tonfas and kusarigamas this time. Fun :)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

ReignInBloodyGore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:57 pm 

Sekiro looks like something I’ll have to get. I’m a huge Dark Souls Fan. In fact, with the purchase of Dark Souls Remastered for my Switch, I’ve now bought the first game for three different platforms. The first one (not counting Demon’s Souls) is probably my favorite game of all time, recently decided over my old favorite, Earthbound.

Problem is, I’m stuck in a Dark Souls rut. I just keep replaying it after each completion as of late. Meanwhile, I have about 9 other new games to get into, including Nioh, which I still haven’t tried yet.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:57 pm 

A kinda/sorta video game post, but if any of you find yourselves in Orlando, FL in the near future? Do yourself a favor and head to Disney Springs (the former Downtown Disney, itself the former Pleasure Island) and drop the $30something to experience the Void. Part laser tag, mostly VR, you can currently choose between a Star Wars game and a Wreck-It Ralph game that is one huge co-op shooter. My brother-in-law and I had an absolute blast.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:11 pm 

Ordered my little refurbished desktop today. I should be playing The Messenger within 10 days!

Not sure if any of you Hollow Knight goons follow the subreddit but the Silksong announcement has caused a flood of super jaw-dropping fan art. Worth a peek.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:29 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Ordered my little refurbished desktop today. I should be playing The Messenger within 10 days!

I should be done with it by then. It'll be interesting to discuss!

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:45 pm 

MikeyC wrote:

I hate you so fucking much. I just decided I don't want to catch up on Tuesday.

- Tim Minchin

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:03 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Jonpo wrote:

I should be done with it by then. It'll be interesting to discuss!

Nice man! I hope it has some replay value for you. I doubt if I'll be able to form full words I'm just going to be making "SQUEE!" noises. Started my 4th new game of Specter Knight today, at home sick. Needed that retro platform feel.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:26 am 

Morrigan wrote:
MaleficDevilry wrote:

I am getting impatient now. I even restarted a new Nioh file to distract me while I wait...

I still need to try Nioh. And almost every other "Souls Like." :lol:

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:08 am 

OlioTheSmall wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

I hate you so fucking much. I just decided I don't want to catch up on Tuesday.

Cold-blooded. :lol:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:20 pm 

MaleficDevilry wrote:
Morrigan wrote:
MaleficDevilry wrote:

I still need to try Nioh. And almost every other "Souls Like." :lol:

Damn, you really do! Nioh doesn't have the intricate level design or vaguely unfolding ominous atmosphere, but it has AMAZING combat and really fun boss designs. Just got back into it last night after clearing the level I had been stuck on in like 25 minutes. Weird how helpful a break is sometimes.

ReignInBloodyGore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:49 am 

Although Dark Souls is my favorite game, I finally got to a point where I’m ready to stop playing it over and over. Most likely because on my most recent character all I have left are the annoying parts of the game: Now Londo Ruins, Tomb of the Giants (fuck that place!), and I’m currently fighting the stupidly annoying big tree boss in the firy area. I don’t like that boss mostly because the run to it is so far from a bonfire and he can just sweep you down into the crevices he creates so easily.

Playing Far Cry 3 on my PS4 at the moment and it’s glorious. Still my favorite Far Cry game. I will start Far Cry Primal after that, which is the only Far Cry game I haven’t played yet.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:36 am 

Bethesda: "Hey, we know that the mod system in Fallout 4 doesn't work, and it's been an issue since November, so... Here's some new paid content!" Amazing.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:43 am 

That's why I'm glad I played F4 on PC, the Creation Club content just seemed like shit compared to what people were doing with independent mods.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:10 pm 

Bethesda is a totally lost cause. I'll still probably check out the next Elder Scrolls whenever it comes out but I'd be really surprised if it even competed with other open world games that are already a few years old.

Hey Jonpo, forgot to mention that I watched the credits roll on The Messenger a couple days ago. Totally fan-frickin'-tastic game! Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I loved it dearly. It's so much more than it seems at first, and it's insanely polished for a debut game by an indie studio. Just found out that there's DLC coming out later this year too!

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:31 pm 

Yeah, I'm quite interested to see where TES6 goes given that Skyrim was really their first mega-hit, and at the same time it took them back in a good direction after Oblivion kind of fucked up the series' lore and uniqueness. Open-world games are so ubiquitous these days that I wonder whether they've been holding off on releasing it until they have something that's actually worthy of TES's history as the flagship series for the genre. Before that teaser trailer came out I was starting to worry they were pulling a Half Life 3 in that respect.

I'm sure there was a lot of debate on this earlier, but I viewed Fallout 76 at least partially as a well-intentioned but failed experiment. I legit would have loved something that was just a new single-player campaign with drop-in drop-out mp questing a la Borderlands 2's multiplayer options, but instead they tried to make something that was too restrictive to be a survival sandbox but too open-ended to be an engaging action rpg.* Of course, the abysmal technical stability and post-release marketing scuzziness would have been shitty either way.

*IMHO the only MMO that actually pulled off the whole "no NPCs" thing was Star Wars Galaxies, because that actually gave players the tools to shape the world in a way that let you make your own stories.

Last edited by Smoking_Gnu on Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:54 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:

*IMHO the only MMO that actually pulled off the whole "no NPCs" thing was Star Wars Galaxies, because that actually gave players the tools to shape the world in a way that let you make your own stories.

*coughUltimaOnlinecough*

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:08 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Hey Jonpo, forgot to mention that I watched the credits roll on The Messenger a couple days ago. Totally fan-frickin'-tastic game! Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I loved it dearly. It's so much more than it seems at first, and it's insanely polished for a debut game by an indie studio. Just found out that there's DLC coming out later this year too!

Maaan that makes me so happy! I'm really glad you enjoyed it. I watched a tepid review from IGN that just made me laugh "boo hoo you have to backtrack" NO SHIT IDIOT IT'S A METROIDVANIA IN DISGUISE. I cannot WAIT. Ironically, my computer showed up today and we're having like tornado force winds that keep knocking our power out. Oh but wait, I also don't have a monitor, computer desk, chair, surge protector, or place to set it all up...

Solutions will be found. I must deliver the message.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 865, 866, 867, 868, 869, 870, 871 ... 891  Next