Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:51 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Maaan that makes me so happy! I'm really glad you enjoyed it. I watched a tepid review from IGN that just made me laugh "boo hoo you have to backtrack" NO SHIT IDIOT IT'S A METROIDVANIA IN DISGUISE. I cannot WAIT.

In all honesty I can see why some people would prefer the first half of the game (8-bit linear Ninja Gaiden-esque action platformer) to the second half (16-bit sprawling Metroidvania) even if I think I liked them both equally. Some of the best moments in the game are definitely in the latter half, but there is a heck of a lot of backtracking and sometimes I found myself a bit frustrated when I realized that I needed to return to a certain place for the dozenth time to do something. Then again, if you don't make many mistakes and collect everything when you're supposed to, that might reduce the amount of backtracking. I do think the warp system could have been a little bit more extensive though. And finally, the levels you have to revisit later in the game don't become any harder so at that point you basically breeze through them because you're hella upgraded and probably just better at the game in general. But thankfully there's still a bunch of new areas to explore, many of which are challenging as heck.

P.S. IGN's reviews almost always suck.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:37 pm 

Man I really appreciate that in depth analysis. I'm all set up and playing! I just started but the ultra sarcastic dialogue is a dream. The controls are tight. Pixel graphics stir my soul. Finding my first "secret room" was very satisfying and JUST a little challenge.

And cloudstepping isn't as easy or natural as I thought it would be! Reminds me of pogoing off the mushies in HK. I'll try to report back when I'm further.

The shopkeeper is my favorite. Did you keep trying to open his cabinet until he tells a long winded philosophical story about the concept of chasing happiness?

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:39 am 

Jonpo, you need a blog/vlog for gaming because your optimism and enjoyment of everything is contagious. I was just actively considering getting the Messenger and I'm not even a fan of the games it's a throwback to!

In other news, I finally cracked fucking Diamond rank in Rocket League Rumble last night! Did it in a game where I got two Epic Saves within a minute, no less, and went three entire games without using a single plunger.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:57 am 

*smash cut to Jonpos Blindfolded Makeup Tutorial* gotta get that ad revenue son!

Diamond my dude? That's actually crazy. I could never claw my way above PlatIV in any of the ranked modes. I figure it's probably because I never changed the default controls. Couldn't boost and air roll at the same time lol. I'm impressed!

I went ahead and snagged Brawlhalla on the PC last night since it's y'know...free. I'm kicking myself for spending probably upwards of $100 on the PS4 version. The PC version feels sooooo much better. I guess input lag on PS4 is real? I don't know. I felt like a god.

Razakel: If you dug The Messenger, there's a few other games on my radar that might interest you. Neither of them are out yet but please check out 'Bushiden' and 'Kunai' on Steam. I'm PARTICULARLY excited about Kunai, just learned of it yesterday.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:36 pm 

Damn, never changing the default controls? Swapping slide/air roll from square to L1 was a game changer for me a little over a year ago. Now I barrel roll into the ball/puck and throw people off by dodging out of the way so a teammate can get a surprise shot.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:51 pm 

Oh yeah, by the time I realized I needed to change my controls I was too deep. Couldn't relearn. I'm proud I got PlatIV in duels, 2s, and 3s ranked tbh.

We could have played I never knew!

I might be losing my mind with Steam a little. Just bought early access to Pixel Shinobi: 9 Demons of Mamoru. It looks like it could be a masterpiece on full release.

Edit: Westerado is also looking kinda undeniable right now.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:07 pm 

Sorry for double-posting. I'm so proud of my little refurb system it's running Ori and the Blind Forest like a champ. This game is super fun so far but also very easy. It's like if Ghibli made a metroidvania. I'm sure it gets harder.

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:32 pm 

^
I've watched few clips, that game has to be one of the better looking i've seen. I'll play it when i have the occasion

Right now i've lost a fight with my prejudices. Long ago i was gifted Nier:Automata and it was collecting dust on my shelf because i tought it was nothing more than katana waifu-the game. Never even played it.

I took it out to cool off my frustration with sl1 runs and i'm enjoying it way more than i expected.
The combat is pretty dumb but the sad atmosphere and the really amazing music are winning me over. The story is weird, but i'm curious to see where is trying to go

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:33 am 

Sekiro soon

Can I beat this kusarigama/tonfa run in Nioh before Sekiro hits, is the question... :thinking emoji:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:30 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Right now i've lost a fight with my prejudices. Long ago i was gifted Nier:Automata and it was collecting dust on my shelf because i tought it was nothing more than katana waifu-the game. Never even played it.

I took it out to cool off my frustration with sl1 runs and i'm enjoying it way more than i expected.
The combat is pretty dumb but the sad atmosphere and the really amazing music are winning me over. The story is weird, but i'm curious to see where is trying to go

I really wanted to love Nier Automata for a lot of the same reasons you mentioned. The music and sad atmosphere. It reminded me of a cyborg-samurai Final Fantasy story. But ultimately I didn't make it very far. The areas I was running around were just so painfully boring. I hope you end up beating it! People who play it to completion seem to enjoy it on a deeper level.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:14 pm 

Played Division 2 practically all weekend, with small breaks for Modern Warfare Remastered and Rocket League. Quick tip while leveling up: main missions, SHD missions, and control points take priority in an area. Do other activities/side missions as needed for ongoing projects, otherwise the grind starts to feel like an actual grind and not natural progression.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:11 pm 

Well. They uh...just added The Messenger to PSN. Pretty funny, actually. Whatever! I love my little PC. Heads up for PS4 players though. It rules.

Can definitely confirm Ori gets challenging fast.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:26 pm 

Siiiiiiiiiiiick Cuphead is coming to Switch next month!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:52 pm 

APE OUT IS FUCKING INCREDIBLE BUY IT RIGHT NOW

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:47 pm 

I didn't realize Final Fantasy 9 was available on Xbone until just now! That's easily my favorite FF, but how did they manage to make it 5 gigs?!

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:59 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
I didn't realize Final Fantasy 9 was available on Xbone until just now! That's easily my favorite FF, but how did they manage to make it 5 gigs?!

If it's the HD remaster, that's how.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:07 am 

That makes sense. Sorry Fallout 4 (Not really), it's time to get back to playing good games.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:33 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Sekiro soon

Can I beat this kusarigama/tonfa run in Nioh before Sekiro hits, is the question... :thinking emoji:

Welllll did you make it?

I bought Sekiro last night but haven't touched it yet. Cannot wait for work to end today.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:13 pm 

The way that the Division 2 handles the introduction of the Hunters (NPC enemies that act like player-controlled characters with their own skills and a lot of EMP bursts) almost made me piss my pants. One second I'm examining the splayed corpse of a fallen agent, the next I'm cascaded in darkness and getting hit with shock ammo. He just casually walked to me as I stood there, unable to move, and just cocked his head before strolling out of the room.

I can't wait for endgame so I can go find these bastards, kill them, and take their masks as trophies. This game is so much more rewarding during the leveling process than the first was to a degree that maybe only Helldivers had done for me before. Best looter shooter on the market, easily.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but bringing over the more realistic combat of Ghost Recon: Wildlands and building the RPG elements off of that was a brilliant move. The salty players are just the ones who loved to cheese OP builds in the first game and can't stand getting sniped by somebody who actually knows what they're doing.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:11 pm 

Man, you really love that game! Hope you've got a rad crew to play with. Seems fun with more folks.

Sekiro is giving me way more trouble than I expected in the combat department. It's just so different. The emphasis on using a jump button during combat surprised me and also really tripped me up for some reason. But I plan on spending some time with it today. The stealth kills and minor enemies are very satisfying but the incessant miniboss type characters keep bodying me.

Apparently I died so much that I poisoned the friendly NPCs around me? God damn.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:50 pm 

I plan on spending A LOT of time killing that immortal NPC before I venture out too far. I don't want to deal with Dragonrot. :lol:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:09 pm 

Hahah he's not very good practice tbh. The lowest level guys are super easy to deflect.

Everything is easier today. I was so tired last night.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:29 am 

Juzou can kiss my ass. Seriously fuck this boss.

Sekiro is... good (probably awesome), but the heal aids are too few, the mob boss fights are a little over powered (as are the damn bosses), and it is taking some time to get used to the rather difficult combat.

My collection

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:03 am 

From what I've been reading, it sounds like Sekiro might have the steepest learning curve of any From Software game. I'm intrigued.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:59 pm 

I am admittedly intimidated by what I've read and heard about Sekiro. All of these reviews calling it the hardest From game just sorta make my balls shrivel. For me DS3 is probably the hardest game that I still totally love everything about, but anything harder than that would just frighten me. I think Bloodborne struck a perfect balance: always very challenging but never brutally unforgiving, plus every single area was really fun and engaging and non-frustrating like a lot of places in DS1. I know some people found Bloodborne harder than Dark Souls 3 but I can't relate at all.

But at the same time I've heard that once you really get the hang of Sekiro's combat it suddenly seems a lot more forgiving. It still looks like a fucking brilliant game and I can't wait to get my hands on another PS4 and play it.

Morrigan, when will you give us your first impressions?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:55 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Morrigan wrote:
Sekiro soon

Welllll did you make it?

I bought Sekiro last night but haven't touched it yet. Cannot wait for work to end today.

I did, but only because CDKeys was late in delivering my key, those fuckers. I didn't do the DLCs though haha.

Sekiro is rekkkkkting me so hard holy fuckballs

And yeah it's legions harder than the hardest Souls game, whatever that may be for you. It's also NOT a Souls game. Absolutely 100% not.

I'll post more later.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:59 pm 

Oh hell I might as well cross-post what I already wrote about how Sekiro is not a Souls game or even a "Souls-like" on ResetEra. Here it is:
----

People saying it's a Souls games are absolutely wrong, sorry. Nioh has more in common with Souls games than Sekiro does. Even Salt and Sanctuary, despite being 2D, has more in common with Dark Souls than Sekiro does.

Yes, there is a similar system to Estus and bonfires. Okay. And there's an interconnected world with shortcuts etc. Sure. There's also a "penalty for dying", but a) it's much different than in past games and b) wayyyyy harsher too. Is there "Souls DNA"? Sure, no one would argue otherwise.

... That's kind of it, though. The moment-to-moment gameplay experience is fundamentally different, whether you are exploring, fighting, or using menus.

Action gameplay:
- First, you can jump.
- The grappling hook means the verticality of level exploration is on a completely different tier than previous games. Exploring feels fundamentally different, especially when you add platforming elements. (No more slow ladders!)
- Stealth is an important part of the gameplay too, and it's a total gamechanger. It's optional, but some areas will be incredibly difficult if you just take on everything head-on.

Combat:
- The combat alone is a completely different experience.
- It's not stamina-based, for one.
- And you can't rely on just dodging/blocking attacks and carefully whittle away at enemy HP to win. It just won't work because of the posture system; you will get demolished.
- Parrying effectively is mandatory. In Souls games, every single attack from every single enemy can be dodged (and most can be blocked, to various extents... and depending on your build).
- In Sekiro, some attacks must be dodged; others must be deflected (parried); others must be jumped over. If you don't respond correctly to the right attack, you will get destroyed.
- The Shinobi prosthetic tools are unlike anything in Souls games, too.

Non-action gameplay, story, atmosphere:
- Even interacting in menus is a different experience. There are no stats. No builds. No weapon choices, no spells, no huge list of items. Only very light RPG mechanics like a skill tree.
- Story wise, it's also different. You don't create your character and build her however you like. You play the Wolf, experience his story, his voice. Cut scenes have dialogue and all. Outside of the intro/outro, Souls cut scenes hardly ever have any dialogue, and of course your character never speaks back, or at all.
- There is background music in levels now, particularly when engaged in combat. Very different atmosphere.
- There are "set pieces" now. Like, legit Uncharted-style set-pieces (thinking of the first encounter with the
Spoiler: show
giant ice snake
- holy fuck that was terrifying). Though, I admit there's very few of those, don't go in expecting Uncharted, lol... but yeah that surprised me.

It's an amazing game so far, but it's most definitely not a "Souls game". It's not even a "Souls-like".

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:36 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

Consider my interest piqued, dampened by the re-realization that I still don't own a PS4.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:07 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

Consider my interest piqued, dampened by the re-realization that I still don't own a PS4.

You can play it on your PC

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:52 am 

Sekiro looks amazing and I plan to pick it up, but right now all my excitement is going towards Outward. Surprised no one's talking about it here as it looks like something most of you would like, and it's got indie cred up the ass since it's made by like 10 Québécois in Unity. (Optional) co-op open world aRPG with survival elements and only 1 save but no perma-death. The art design looks a bit iffy but the melee and magic systems look absolutely top. It even has split-screen co-op, which is ridiculously cool to me.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:22 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:

It's multiplatform (PS4/X1/PC). Unless you only have a Switch?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:25 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Man, you really love that game! Hope you've got a rad crew to play with. Seems fun with more folks.

Alas, only one friend also picked up the game, but we hit the ground running for the 6-26 grind. Funny, too, because this is a dude I've been friends with since middle school and we just now found a game we click on. He's a regular third for my Rocket League team, sure, but our chemistry didn't sit right until TD2.

What's cool, though, is that anybody who responds to your call for backup (which allows other players to join your game) is always ready to go, way more than TD1 even, and team tactics seem more inherent with TD2's playerbase than the first. I sent out a call yesterday morning after being hammered by a side mission and had three randoms join the squad and we ran roughshod over everything in our path. Shared the loot, gave a salute, and then logged off to run the day's errands.

I'm at 29 and will be hitting 30 tonight, which means ENDGAME!! I'm fixing to go Survivalist over Demolitionist/Sharpshooter so I can get boosts to AR usage. The way ARs fire and just feel, overall, in TD2 is so rewarding, and having already unlocked and crafted the best PVE mods for them? I'll be growing my arsenal steadily.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:03 am 

I finished the remake of Resident Evil 2--at least Claire's story. Ended a bit faster than I thought, but that means I'm more likely to actually play Leon's story.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:57 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

It's multiplatform (PS4/X1/PC). Unless you only have a Switch?

I've got a PC, but I doubt it's beefy enough to play any brand-new games. It can only just barely handle Overwatch and the first Tomb Raider reboot sequel.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:13 pm 

I purchased Metro: Exodus for the PC and installed it last night. I'm looking forward to playing that when I get some time to do so.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:00 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Sekiro looks amazing and I plan to pick it up, but right now all my excitement is going towards Outward. Surprised no one's talking about it here as it looks like something most of you would like, and it's got indie cred up the ass since it's made by like 10 Québécois in Unity. (Optional) co-op open world aRPG with survival elements and only 1 save but no perma-death. The art design looks a bit iffy but the melee and magic systems look absolutely top. It even has split-screen co-op, which is ridiculously cool to me.

I worked with the studio that made that game on a previous title of theirs! :uh oh:

Bloodstone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:33 am 

Sekiro is goddamn fantastic. I spend more time being angry and frustrated at the game than I do enjoying it, something that surely would turn off a lot of gamers just wanting to sit down with something chill. But it's rewarding in the same way that made me fall in love with Bloodborne and Dark Souls 1 last year. Big respect for FromSoft for moving onto something that plays so different, when they could have just kept milking Soulsborne. Blocking and trading parrys back and forth with enemies, building up to that sweet, sweet posture break + deathblow is something every gamer even remotely into combat needs to experience.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:24 pm 

More TD2 talk.

All I'm going to say is that stacking as much Damage to Elites, Critical Hit Chance, and Critical Hit Damage as possible, along with abilities and mods that grant health/armor on kill, makes you the perfect member of the team to flank and push as others make their way behind you. I had worse gear than any teammate I played with last night and only went down once. Saved my sniper more times than he'd probably ever admit, too, and was able to take down bosses within a mag or two.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:49 am 

I've made almost zero progress in Sekiro. What I've learned for sure is that killing as many people by stealth as possible is always the right choice. Thinning out the numbers. I've been "stuck" on the uh...flashback? dream? sequence. I assume the horseback Boss is at the end of that level. I think I've gotten close to the "boss fight" but died to a masked spear mini-boss. It's a very satisfying, very frustrating game. I fully expect there to be an A-HA moment where I get obsessed and can't put the game down.

Ultimately I haven't been in the mood this week for "extreme challenge" games. Mostly been playing Brawlhalla friendly 2v2s and a whole shit ton of Ape Out. I'm so completely smitten by that game. If you loved Hotline Miami it's a MUST play. The synergy between the gameplay and the soundtrack is unlike anything I've experienced before. Also the way each "level" is formatted like an old timey jazz record after you beat it (with each stage being a different track) is magnificent. The second level, "High Rise" has been my favorite so far. I mean I don't know why there's a 30 story building with an Ape at the top floor, or why there are so many armed guards, but throwing them out of windows after using them as human shields may never get old.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:20 pm 

Fuck, Ape Out looks amazing. As a huge Hotline Miami fan, one trailer is all it took to sell me on it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 866, 867, 868, 869, 870, 871, 872 ... 891  Next