Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 9769
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:18 pm 
 

Unlocking the Atlantis DLC in AC Odyssey is pure padding bullshit with the modern-day grave shenanigans, good gods.

That said, once you do unlock the new area... good gods is it PRETTY :o
_________________
Von Cichlid wrote:
I work with plenty of Oriental and Indian persons and we get along pretty good, and some females as well.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 6452
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:10 pm 
 

Morrigan wrote:
Unlocking the Atlantis DLC in AC Odyssey is pure padding bullshit with the modern-day grave shenanigans, good gods.

That said, once you do unlock the new area... good gods is it PRETTY :o

If there's one thing Ubisoft is good at, it's whipping their broken-down slaves programmers into making eye candy.
_________________
I write anime reviews. They're good for your health!
My Most Recent Review: Mirai of the Future!
Coming Up Next:
Mob Psycho 100 II
After That: Martian Successor Nadesico and The Irresponsible Captain Tylor

Top
 Profile  
Razakel
Nekroprince

Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:36 pm
Posts: 5623
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:52 pm 
 

Ugh. Doom Eternal delayed 4 months. Oh well, sure it'll be worth it.

Top
 Profile  
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:45 am
Posts: 11859
Location: In the Arena
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:56 pm 
 

I'm pretty hyped for it, but I can't not hear it as "Do Me, Turtle" now.
_________________
MorbidBlood wrote:
So the winner is Destruction and Infernal Overkill is the motherfucking skullcrushing poserkilling satan-worshiping 666 FUCK YOU greatest german thrash record.

Top
 Profile  
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:16 am
Posts: 13324
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:51 pm 
 

Razakel wrote:
Ugh. Doom Eternal delayed 4 months. Oh well, sure it'll be worth it.

Son of a bitch! I was so keen for this next month. I hope the delay means they fix whatever needs to be fixed. Super hyped for this.
_________________
The Lions Den wrote:
Just vegan and faggots melo-tech-death for dad's fancy-ass. Fuck!!!

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 4820
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:52 am 
 

failsafeman wrote:
I'm pretty hyped for it, but I can't not hear it as "Do Me, Turtle" now.

What Elaine Chao says once a year.
_________________
ambientsorrow wrote:
Pretty rubbish, I must say. Certainly not worth the hype behind it. Boring and predictable. A band for 14-22 year olds.

Top
 Profile  
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:22 pm
Posts: 4598
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:38 pm 
 

Holy fuck, I just remembered that Outer Worlds is dropping in 16 days.
_________________
demonomania wrote:
A gritty "Leprechaun In the IRA" reboot sounds pretty awesome, actually. Sample line - "Come have a taste of me lucky ARMS!"

NEW Valcove album Forge @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge. For fans of Aphex Twin, Autechre, ambient techno

Top
 Profile  
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:33 pm
Posts: 2810
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:12 am 
 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Holy fuck, I just remembered that Outer Worlds is dropping in 16 days.


Oh shit, that's way sooner than I expected.

I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS!
_________________
Warm Fuzzy Cynical comics.
Warm Fuzzy Cynical Facebook page.

Top
 Profile  
MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:23 am
Posts: 510
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:17 pm 
 

I beat Remnant and started Code Vein. It's okay. Not much of a challenge. Anime Dark Souls is apt.

Top
 Profile  
Bloodstone
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:48 am
Posts: 290
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:13 am 
 

Playing through Watch Dogs 2 on my new PC after platinuming it on PS4. One of the more overlooked AAA games of the generation, it did quite well critically, but didn't sell so well from what I've read. Ubisoft open world games definitely share too many gameplay mechanics in common, which does take me out of many of them, but this one I feel really stands out in many ways. The tools you're given to complete missions are just so fun to use - your drone, RC car and so much stuff to hack, remote control and play around with. Yes, you can use guns, but non-violent is clearly the way to go here, unlike in Watch Dogs 1 where there were scripted shootout sections where you didn't have a choice. It has a way better tone than the first game too - a bit too stupid/cheesy at times, but much preferrable to the boring gritty grim-darkness of WD1.

Also it looks STUNNING on PC - so immersive to just drive/walk around San Fransisco and be in the world. Playable enough on console, but no looker like a GTA5/Horizon Zero Dawn and also controls more sluggishly.
_________________
I pledge: to keep it alive | I promise: metal will thrive
I swear: myself to the cause | I'll teach: all the metal laws

Top
 Profile  
Sepulchrave
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:29 pm
Posts: 1631
Location: Croatia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:03 am 
 

Old game but Mount & Blade: Warband, which I just got for sale on Steam, has awesome combat. In many ways it's rather dated (which I don't particularly mind with my low-end PC, haha) but I like the creativity with the open world format.
_________________
Ку.

Top
 Profile  
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:33 pm
Posts: 2810
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:39 am 
 

Picked up Borderlands 3 for the PS4.

I am playing it on a PS4 Pro, and I have the game set to prioritize performance, and it... still runs like shit. There are fun moments and my son is loving it (his first time playing a Borderlands game), but what the fuck is going on here? It runs like absolute fucking garbage. I thought the Pre-Sequel ran like a mess. That one was so bad on the X360, my ex and I quit playing it because the framerate drop literally made one boss fight impossible. At the time, I figured this was because Gearbox didn't actually make it, that it was farmed out to a different studio. But then Borderlands 3 is a technical shitpile, struggling to accomplish even the most basic elements.

That's not an exaggeration. Opening the menu is frequently met with a "can't open menu" message, and when it does open, it's painfully slow and laggy. It's as clunky as the menu system was in Fable II... or was it Fable III? One of those had a slow, cumbersome menu.

Badass rank is removed to a post-game thing rather like the after-game progression in Diablo III. That would've been fine if they'd always done it this way, but now it feels like artificially padding the end of the game while removing expected in-game elements. At least it's not DLC, but still.

We only just left Pandora, so I'm looking forward to seeing how other planets look compared to three previous games of a craggy desert world. Although if the game runs this poorly on a planet with nothing on it, I'm not exactly optimistic. Be nice if Randy Pitchford could stop being a complete fucking sleazebag for just long enough to make his game functionally solid.
_________________
Warm Fuzzy Cynical comics.
Warm Fuzzy Cynical Facebook page.

Top
 Profile  
acid_bukkake
SAD!

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 am
Posts: 1469
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:09 am 
 

It runs fine on my regular PS4, best gameplay of the series IMO. The menu layout is fucking trash, agreed, but not being able to open it is because you're moving (yeah...annoying as hell).

Getting off Pandora is great. The game actually starts then.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
Rage tweeting and dank memes are not essential public services.

Top
 Profile  
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:33 pm
Posts: 2810
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:38 am 
 

acid_bukkake wrote:
It runs fine on my regular PS4, best gameplay of the series IMO. The menu layout is fucking trash, agreed, but not being able to open it is because you're moving (yeah...annoying as hell).

Getting off Pandora is great. The game actually starts then.


I'm doing splitscreen with my son, so maybe that's adding to our lag woes and framerate drops.

Which, again, was not a problem in Borderlands 1 or 2.
_________________
Warm Fuzzy Cynical comics.
Warm Fuzzy Cynical Facebook page.

Top
 Profile  
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 7415
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:36 pm 
 

You guys up on this jam at all?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1122 ... _Festival/ (Gensokyo Night Festival)

This and Touhou: Luna Nights are at the top of my "to buy" list when I'm done being broker than a joker. The movement/speed/combat on Gensokyo Night Festival looks so crispy clean. Hoping not to be disappointed. This year has taught me a real lesson about getting my hopes up (Looking at you, Children of Morta).

I'm also cautiously optimistic about Outbuddies which just dropped, and I'm still looking for a "Zelda-like" that I can play without a Switch. I'm hoping "Trysaria" turns into something special but it's very early access right now.

Other stuff I'm eyeing and would welcome opinions on: Environmental Station Alpha, Aura of Worlds, Sprits Abyss, Hakoniwa Explorer Plus (I know...I know...but it looks fun! I think the lack of controller support would keep me from enjoying this one).
_________________
I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due...

Top
 Profile  
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 7415
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:36 pm 
 

At the behest of my fiancé I'm playing Bloodborne again. Currently working on the Shadows of Yharnam. It took me FOREVER to open the shortcut so I've only faced them once and got bodied of course. I think my strategy was all wrong I was trying so hard to parry instead of just pure kiting.
_________________
I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due...

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 9769
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:01 am 
 

I'm enjoying the AC Odyssey DLC (Fate of Atlantis), the new areas are cool, but man the storytelling is wack... there were some decent stories in the main game, but it feels like they hardly tried with Episode 2, and even Episode 1 had some weirdly inconsistent and nonsensical subplots. Episode 2 is in Hades and it feels like a tropey 90's JRPG lol.

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Picked up Borderlands 3 for the PS4.

I am playing it on a PS4 Pro, and I have the game set to prioritize performance, and it... still runs like shit. There are fun moments and my son is loving it (his first time playing a Borderlands game), but what the fuck is going on here? It runs like absolute fucking garbage. I thought the Pre-Sequel ran like a mess. That one was so bad on the X360, my ex and I quit playing it because the framerate drop literally made one boss fight impossible. At the time, I figured this was because Gearbox didn't actually make it, that it was farmed out to a different studio. But then Borderlands 3 is a technical shitpile, struggling to accomplish even the most basic elements.

That's not an exaggeration. Opening the menu is frequently met with a "can't open menu" message, and when it does open, it's painfully slow and laggy. It's as clunky as the menu system was in Fable II... or was it Fable III? One of those had a slow, cumbersome menu.

Badass rank is removed to a post-game thing rather like the after-game progression in Diablo III. That would've been fine if they'd always done it this way, but now it feels like artificially padding the end of the game while removing expected in-game elements. At least it's not DLC, but still.

We only just left Pandora, so I'm looking forward to seeing how other planets look compared to three previous games of a craggy desert world. Although if the game runs this poorly on a planet with nothing on it, I'm not exactly optimistic. Be nice if Randy Pitchford could stop being a complete fucking sleazebag for just long enough to make his game functionally solid.

I played Borderlands 1 and 2 on PC back then, but a friend wanted to coop with me on PS3, and we both had it free with PS+ so I gave it a shot.... I didn't last long lol. Sub-20 FPS most of the time and Sanctuary was a slideshow, and it was 720p too of course. Ick.
_________________
Von Cichlid wrote:
I work with plenty of Oriental and Indian persons and we get along pretty good, and some females as well.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Top
 Profile  
Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:19 am
Posts: 1525
Location: Italy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:33 am 
 

Jonpo wrote:
At the behest of my fiancé I'm playing Bloodborne again. Currently working on the Shadows of Yharnam. It took me FOREVER to open the shortcut so I've only faced them once and got bodied of course. I think my strategy was all wrong I was trying so hard to parry instead of just pure kiting.


I dislike a lot that fight just for the grueling run up :(
Parryng the katana guy and running away is not a bad strategy, just be careful to finish him quickly during the second phase

I still play a little Bloodborne for the chalice dungeons: the fully nourishing gemmed moonlight gs gives too much satisfaction

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 9214
Location: St. Charles, Illinois
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:38 am 
 

Borderlands 3 was pretty excellent in certain respects. It's stunning how refreshing it is to get the bare minimum nowadays, that being a fully complete game with tons of shit to do. There's a lot of content and it's the same relentless addiction machine as the previous games, it's just wild to actually not have to pay for all of it. It's fun getting loot like always, it's fun to play around with your build (I played Amara and focused on the red tree), I had a lot of fun with it. There's one big reveal in the story that I think actually worked really well and some of the environments (especially Carnivora) were cool.

But there are definitely problems with it. I didn't have any real performance issues but 1) I play exclusively solo so I'm not experiencing the lag everybody is complaining about, and 2) I don't really care about buttery smooth framerates. The story and writing is miles worse than BL2 as well. I understand that Handsome Jack was one of the best villains in recent memory when it comes to videogames and nobody was going to top him, but the Calypso Twins straight up fucking sucked. A lot of the major plot points don't really make sense or felt super cheap and unearned, and I have a lot of ideas on how to improve the story as a whole. Leaving Pandora is cool in theory but it just feels like a "okay here's the swamp level, now here's the city level" type of thing. We had varied environments in 2 and TPS already so it's basically the same thing we already had except now separated by a hubworld. There are still some awful bugs and broken skills like apparently half of Zane's skills and nearly all of Amara's blue tree.

My biggest complaint was simply that the balancing was fucking awful at times. I don't know if it was bad gear/luck on my part but some of the boss fights were just exercises in controller snapping frustration. I almost ragequit against Killavolt, Katagawa Ball, and The Rampager, and I actually did have to put the game down for a few days after meeting Billy the Anointed. He's the biggest bullshit boss I've fought in eons, and the only reason I even wound up winning is because after losing damn near all of my money on respawns, his AI shit the bed and he just stood in one place and refused to move. After Billy though? I only died once against Pain and Terror and maybe two or three times in the final area, and then never even went down during another boss (including the final one).

I complain a lot because I'm a complainer, but overall it was fun. 7/10.
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: Everfrost - Winterider
The Outer RIM - Uatism: The dogs bark in street slang

Top
 Profile  
acid_bukkake
SAD!

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 am
Posts: 1469
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:55 am 
 

I'd give it around the same rank, but I'll say that I enjoy the Calypso Twins as villains and I think Killavolt was a breeze. I'm also cheesing it hardcore with Moze by quickly maxing out the option that kills reduce skill cooldown, so popping in/out of a mech during boss fights has been extremely helpful.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
Rage tweeting and dank memes are not essential public services.

Top
 Profile  
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:22 pm
Posts: 4598
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:52 am 
 

BastardHead wrote:
Borderlands 3


Man, couldn't have summarized it better myself. I haven't even had that much trouble with the bosses (Sentinel Zane=hilariously awesome), but - is it just me or are a lot of them super-bullet spongey? I got Billy down in two tries, but after a while I got kind of bored with bunny hopping around while unloading clip after clip and waiting for my skill to respawn (same with the Grave Warden, yeesh). It's been a minute since I played BL2, but I don't really remember anything like that there.

Other random nitpick - I'm not sure how I feel about all the vending machines having blue/purple items basically from the start. On one hand, the constant access to great weapons sort of fits the game's climactic tone. On the other hand, BL2 gave you a great sense of progression when you'd scrape up to that first blue weapon a few hours in and obsessively treasure anything like that for a quite a while. Now that sense of accomplishment is missing...but on the other hand, having loot that good right away is stupid fun.

I guess I feel about it like I do Dark Souls 2 - A lesser Borderlands game is still an excellent game on the whole, but the shadow of its basically-perfect predecessor makes its shortcomings all the more noticeable.

PS - Apparently the stupid part of the Killavolt fight where he electrifies the whole floor was actually a bug and he was supposed to have a safe zone immediately around him during that move. :lol:
_________________
demonomania wrote:
A gritty "Leprechaun In the IRA" reboot sounds pretty awesome, actually. Sample line - "Come have a taste of me lucky ARMS!"

NEW Valcove album Forge @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge. For fans of Aphex Twin, Autechre, ambient techno

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 9214
Location: St. Charles, Illinois
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:47 am 
 

Billy was in theory a cool boss. Part of the reason I struggled at first is because you have basically no advantage in the room he spawns in, but once I realized that the intention was that you were supposed to lure him out, it was a bit more fun (before I got mega pissed again). Kiting an insanely aggro goliath throughout the whole level is actually a pretty cool idea, but it practice it was just fucking awful. Unbelievable bullet sponge that spams difficult to avoid AoE shockwaves that wipe the best shields in one hit, launches like a dozen explosive projectiles at a time, fucking constantly does the "nothing personnel, kid" and teleports behind you and cranks out that shockwave the instant he materializes, and the mooks that are ostensibly supposed to be fodder for when you're down in FFYL mode flat out stop spawning after one or two tries and two of them are Badasses. I try not to accuse games of being cheap or unfair, but Billy was cheap and unfair as FUCK. I hear he even follows you off the planet if you fast travel away, and that's fucking batshit.

And yeah I noticed some of the bosses were insane bullet sponges, but I've always played Siren with an elemental DPS setup (love the rainbow fountain of damage as I spray with an SMG) so bullet sponges were almost always a problem for me in every game, but I will say that the mooks themselves weren't as bad as BL2. I swear near the endgame every single enemy in BL2 took me a full two clips to finish off. Some of the bosses in this one took forever to kill, Graveward especially. That said, I never really struggled with the super spongey bosses in BL3 simply because of Chadd's Pistol. I abused the fuck out of that weapon. An incendiary pistol with a fire rate comparable to an SMG with x4 damage that never consumes ammo? Fuck yeah, as long as my aim was decent I was able to use that and only that to clear like 80% of the game after I got it. Especially since it was incendiary and I was built to amplify elemental damage, and this game had way less shielded/armored enemies than the last two so you could pretty reliably take out everything the game threw at you with no penalty. I really don't think I would've have beaten any of the bosses (besides Billy) as easily as I did without it.
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: Everfrost - Winterider
The Outer RIM - Uatism: The dogs bark in street slang

Top
 Profile  
MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:23 am
Posts: 510
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:14 pm 
 

I'm almost through Code Vein. I'll probably get The Surge 2 next. I still need to play Blasphemous and Bloodstained.

Top
 Profile  
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 7415
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:57 pm 
 

MaleficDevilry wrote:
I still need to play Blasphemous...


I wish you would! :lol:

I'm excited to hear some opinions from you guys. Its 20 bucks on PS4 right now. Almost bought it today but I got drunk and played Nuclear Throne more instead.
_________________
I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due...

Top
 Profile  
Skillet
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:43 am
Posts: 4
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:41 pm 
 

I'm playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey on my new 1060 graphics card. I have long dreamed of playing many new games, but I was able to afford a new computer just now.

Top
 Profile  
Bloodstone
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:48 am
Posts: 290
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:25 am 
 

Skillet wrote:
I'm playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey on my new 1060 graphics card. I have long dreamed of playing many new games, but I was able to afford a new computer just now.


I really want to try it on PC myself, as PS4 really struggles with the game to the point of the controls being negatively affected. When I played through it, during combat in forts where there are tons of enemies the frame rate would occasionally dip to literal slideshow levels (I mean one frame every five seconds) for a couple of minutes at a time before returning to at least being playable. That was of course a bug and may have been patched since, but the sluggish feeling overall was always there for me. This is not just from a PC master race kind of perspective, by the way; comparable titles like Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War 2018 I find look and play fantastic on PS4, and I got a gaming PC just a month ago.

I have tons of little complaints about AC Odyssey (I'm a gamer after all ;) ), but it does say a lot that I ended up spending 100 hours on it, getting all three endings (never touched any DLC though). Always playable, fun and absolutely masterful at keeping you busy.
_________________
I pledge: to keep it alive | I promise: metal will thrive
I swear: myself to the cause | I'll teach: all the metal laws

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 9769
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:53 pm 
 

I just started the 3rd episode of the 2nd DLC of AC Odyssey actually. Never had the framerate problems you mention Bloodstone, but I'm playing on the Pro. Loading times are kind of shit at times though.

I'm getting a bit fatigued. The Atlantis DLC had absolute garbage writing in the quests and it kind of soured me. The gameplay loop is still all right and the new environments are nice though (Atlantis is breath taking, not gonna lie), and I enjoyed the final boss of Episode 2. But I'm looking forward to kind of just being done with it and not touching AssCreed for a long-ass time.

I'm still mad at how bad the writing was in the DLCs. The main game wasn't some masterpiece or anything, but it was much, much better.
_________________
Von Cichlid wrote:
I work with plenty of Oriental and Indian persons and we get along pretty good, and some females as well.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Top
 Profile  
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:33 pm
Posts: 2810
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:17 pm 
 

BastardHead wrote:
Borderlands 3

But there are definitely problems with it. I didn't have any real performance issues but 1) I play exclusively solo so I'm not experiencing the lag everybody is complaining about, and 2) I don't really care about buttery smooth framerates. The story and writing is miles worse than BL2 as well. I understand that Handsome Jack was one of the best villains in recent memory when it comes to videogames and nobody was going to top him, but the Calypso Twins straight up fucking sucked. A lot of the major plot points don't really make sense or felt super cheap and unearned, and I have a lot of ideas on how to improve the story as a whole. Leaving Pandora is cool in theory but it just feels like a "okay here's the swamp level, now here's the city level" type of thing. We had varied environments in 2 and TPS already so it's basically the same thing we already had except now separated by a hubworld. There are still some awful bugs and broken skills like apparently half of Zane's skills and nearly all of Amara's blue tree.

My biggest complaint was simply that the balancing was fucking awful at times. I don't know if it was bad gear/luck on my part but some of the boss fights were just exercises in controller snapping frustration. I almost ragequit against Killavolt, Katagawa Ball, and The Rampager, and I actually did have to put the game down for a few days after meeting Billy the Anointed. He's the biggest bullshit boss I've fought in eons, and the only reason I even wound up winning is because after losing damn near all of my money on respawns, his AI shit the bed and he just stood in one place and refused to move. After Billy though? I only died once against Pain and Terror and maybe two or three times in the final area, and then never even went down during another boss (including the final one).

I complain a lot because I'm a complainer, but overall it was fun. 7/10.


I'm playing it with my son, on the PS4 Pro, with it set to performance over resolution. It still runs like shit. Either of us opening the menu causes framerates to plummet, and the menu itself is a pain in the ass to navigate.

We're having fun, but these frustrations are annoying.

The Calypso Twins suck, and few characters seem particularly memorable. We're not very far in, however. We haven't met Billy yet, but I have found very little challenge awaiting us. I'm using Moze and my son is using FL4K. Moze utterly decimates the battlefield and by the time I have to exit the Bear, most of the hard stuff is over. I've defeated bosses by just standing in front of them and burying in them in grenades and pummeling with the minigun. Our characters feel overpowered already, and we're only about level 15.

My son is loving it. The game is decent, but there are such odd glaring flaws. Extra steps to activating the Golden Keys was just annoying. The lack of Badass Rank on a first playthrough is aggravating. It's like taking out a part of the game and locking it behind a flimsy excuse to force people to play again. Sigh. It's like Fable III. There are quite a few changes, but not all of them are for the better, and many are worse, and the game itself seems overall weaker than the previous entry.
_________________
Warm Fuzzy Cynical comics.
Warm Fuzzy Cynical Facebook page.

Top
 Profile  
rexxz
Where's your band?

Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:45 pm
Posts: 9069
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:03 pm 
 

The Outer Worlds is tight as fuck and I will be spending an unhealthy amount of time on this for the next month or two. Highly recommend anyone that was even a little bit into Bethesda Fallout games to give this a shot, as it's probably better than those titles in every imaginable way.
_________________
Hexenkraft - diabolical cyberpunk darksynth
Cosmic Atrophy - extradimensional death metal

Top
 Profile  
Bloodstone
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:48 am
Posts: 290
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:08 pm 
 

rexxz wrote:
The Outer Worlds is tight as fuck and I will be spending an unhealthy amount of time on this for the next month or two. Highly recommend anyone that was even a little bit into Bethesda Fallout games to give this a shot, as it's probably better than those titles in every imaginable way.


I recently got three months of free XBox Live for PC, in which this game is included. Guess I have no excuse not to try this one, even if I did always lean to the old 2D Fallouts. But then I never did play New Vegas which everyone says is the best one and this game is by the same devs.
_________________
I pledge: to keep it alive | I promise: metal will thrive
I swear: myself to the cause | I'll teach: all the metal laws

Top
 Profile  
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 7415
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:06 pm 
 

Mark of the Ninja: Remastered is as good as every one says. Super satisfying stealth kills and fairly crispy controls considering they make you use the analog stick.

Love playing with the different tools. Its been a fun, relatively relaxing break from trying to beat NKG. I'm so fucking tired of hearing the first 25 seconds of his song.

Edit: OMFG MARK OF THE NINJA HYPE -- I just experienced one of my favorite video game moments of all time. Playing as the less lethal mentor character. Knock a guard unconscious, hang his dumb snoozing ass from the rafters and upon discovering his limp body a conscious guard became terrified and panic-shot him dead. I. AM. IN. LOVE.
_________________
I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due...

Top
 Profile  
MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:23 am
Posts: 510
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:05 am 
 

NKG was a literal nightmare for me. I finally beat him, but I'm still stuck on the Pantheon. :lol:

Regular Grimm is child's play now...

Top
 Profile  
Razakel
Nekroprince

Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:36 pm
Posts: 5623
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:29 am 
 

NKG was fucking brutal, although by the time I finally beat him I had memorized the fight so well that it was sort of fun. One of those fights that you just can't walk away from even though it's tearing your soul apart. Same with Trial of the Fool, which seemed impossible at first, but actually isn't that bad once you've memorized it inside and out.

Top
 Profile  
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 7415
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:56 am 
 

Yeah, I haven't even begun to "test him" yet. I'm just trying to learn the patterns. The most frustrating thing for me is that his music FUCKING RULES but I only end up getting to hear about 30-40 seconds of it if I'm lucky. So I have to eventually turn off the in-game music and put on something that I can groove with while I practice.

I'll get him though. I actually haven't completed Trial of the Fool yet I know it'll be a cake walk after NKG. I always do fine until the end when they take the floor away completely. I hit panic mode cause I can't heal.
_________________
I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due...

Top
 Profile  
Razakel
Nekroprince

Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:36 pm
Posts: 5623
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:03 pm 
 

Jonpo wrote:
I always do fine until the end when they take the floor away completely. I hit panic mode cause I can't heal.


That part is panic-inducing for sure, but you just gotta know how to handle it. I think most people assume you need to nail hop on all the enemies and hardly hug the walls at all, but it's really the opposite. That's when Great Slash is absolutely essential, because it allows you to take out most of those enemies in one hit with a charged up attack. I can't remember if you need fragile/unbreakable strength equipped too, but you should definitely have it equipped anyway. Nailmaster's Glory is very useful as well, since it lets you charge up great slash in like half the time. Just hug the walls, charge up great slash and take out an enemy, hug another wall. Nail hop if you have to, and definitely have at least Mark of Pride equipped (if not Mark of Pride plus Longnail) to make nail hopping a thousand times safer. It isn't easy, but it's doable. Oh, and also, that isn't the end... :lol:

Top
 Profile  
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 7415
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:13 pm 
 

Hahah okay fair enough, not the "end" just the furthest I've made it. I'm hoping the one homie that you kept meeting at the benches is the final "boss" of the Trial. I can't remember his name because I took a HUGE break from the game. My to-do list: Defeat the Radiance, defeat NKG, defeat Trial of the Fool. Not in that order necessarily. Other than that I'm not too concerned with like "completing" it or anything. I've just had the itch to start playing again recently and couldn't deny it.
_________________
I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due...

Top
 Profile  
Thexhumed
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:26 pm
Posts: 1126
Location: Chile
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:00 pm 
 

Has anybody here played "Life is Feudal"? How good is it?
_________________
I watch LotR on a monthly basis
__________
My wantlist / Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:23 am
Posts: 510
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:18 am 
 

A reviewer compared Blasphemous to Hollow Knight. Big praise. I'm finally diving in tonight.

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 4820
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:34 pm 
 

rexxz wrote:
The Outer Worlds is tight as fuck and I will be spending an unhealthy amount of time on this for the next month or two. Highly recommend anyone that was even a little bit into Bethesda Fallout games to give this a shot, as it's probably better than those titles in every imaginable way.

Disco Elysium >>>>>>>>>>>>> TOW
_________________
ambientsorrow wrote:
Pretty rubbish, I must say. Certainly not worth the hype behind it. Boring and predictable. A band for 14-22 year olds.

Top
 Profile  
Bloodstone
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:48 am
Posts: 290
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:02 pm 
 

Having a grand old time with The Outer Worlds. Can't imagine how you wouldn't be into this game if you like the 3D Fallouts/Elder Scrolls stuff. Like a more polished and more solid feeling (and less buggy) version of that, and like those games, the world building and writing is just fantastic. Love going around just taking in the world, meeting new characters and hearing their stories.

My only gripe is that I've never gotten on with the combat in these Bethesda-style games, they all feel messy and weird to control. Playing the game as pacifist as I can for that reason.
_________________
I pledge: to keep it alive | I promise: metal will thrive
I swear: myself to the cause | I'll teach: all the metal laws

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 880, 881, 882, 883, 884, 885  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: darkeningday and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group