Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:23 pm 

MaleficDevilry wrote:
I missed that I have Path of Exile too. It was free on PS+. :lol:

Sigh. I need more free time.

it's completely free to play, they only make money through visual enhancements/skins and a few gameplay improvements like more stash space, nothing really pay-to-win. It's a pretty cool model.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:54 pm 

Yeah I was really surprised on how complete it feels as a game, being free to play and all. I've not spent a dime on that game so far and I'm loving every minute.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:30 pm 

MaleficDevilry wrote:
(Code Vein > DS2 BTW :-P )

You take that back

I should make this bannable...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:03 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
MaleficDevilry wrote:
(Code Vein > DS2 BTW :-P )

You take that back

I should make this bannable...

+1? :lol:

Just finished my third DS2 play through, and I think in some ways it's more challenging (some areas in particular), and it's a great romp. Also it's my first FromSoft exposure game, so it will always have a special place in my gaming heart.

My collection

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:58 pm 

And I just snagged the Resident Evil 1 HD remake for half off as well. I've never played this game in any form so I'm stoked to dig in, but I think I'll do Hyper Light Drifter first.

Zdan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:22 pm 

Just played a small run in Children Of Morta. Love, love, love that game! Amazing presentation, great visual and narration and the gameplay is also pretty solid.

CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:20 am 

MaleficDevilry wrote:
I'm an hour into Death Stranding. I like it. It's meditative to a degree, and the soundtrack is great so far.

I picked up Agony and Hellblade too, since I can never just buy one game.

I’ve put about 10 hours or more into Death Stranding and I have mixed feelings. Sometimes I like it. The visuals and the acting along with the story make me want to know more about what’s going on since it’s all so complex. But, then I think about the game ply and how tedious it can be. How some of the distances you have to walk carrying all that bullshit bring a level of anxiety.

I read the perfect review from someone on this game: “I love Death Stranding, but wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.”

Spoiler: show
The only thing that really makes me want to press on with this game is getting to meet Conan O’ Brien somewhere.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:47 pm 

That's a pretty solid assessment. I don't know who I would recommend this to, other than someone who loves Kojima and/or is a big video game enthusiast. I picked it up merely because it's the biggest release of 2019 as far as press goes.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:44 am 

Hate to be that guy but let's face it, had Kojima's name not been on there, no one would have given two shits about that game.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:01 am 

I think it'd be naive to pretend that his name had nothing to do with it (a lot actually), but I think the premise and presentation around it was unique and interesting enough for people to at least given a shit and a half.

No I haven't played it yet. Yes I plan to eventually. Yes I am and was mostly interested because Kojima's name is attached. Yes I know I just undermined my own point.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:17 pm 

I've never played any of Kojima's games before and I thought Death Stranding's cinematic trailers looked cool and intriguing as all hell. But now that's it's out and I've watched a bunch of shit and read some reviews I doubt I'll ever play it. Point is though, I don't think all the hype was soley the name behind it.

Hey sweet, Alien Isolation is now on Switch. Been meaning to get to that for ages now.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:45 am 

Zdan wrote:
Just played a small run in Children Of Morta. Love, love, love that game! Amazing presentation, great visual and narration and the gameplay is also pretty solid.

Whoa! This is super encouraging to hear. Children of Morta and Blasphemous were the two releases I was anticipating most this year, and I got scared to touch either one of them after the reviews came out. It seemed like I read a slew of reviews about Children of Morta saying that it was very beautiful but that the gameplay gets stale quick. But now I'm going back over the reviews on Steam and they are definitely "overwhelmingly positive" so I'm not sure where that came from. I got cold feet on Children of Morta somewhere along the way...

I'm curious to hear if you're still enjoying it after a few hours of gameplay. Please let us (me) know!

Zdan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:14 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Zdan wrote:

Whoa! This is super encouraging to hear. Children of Morta and Blasphemous were the two releases I was anticipating most this year, and I got scared to touch either one of them after the reviews came out. It seemed like I read a slew of reviews about Children of Morta saying that it was very beautiful but that the gameplay gets stale quick. But now I'm going back over the reviews on Steam and they are definitely "overwhelmingly positive" so I'm not sure where that came from. I got cold feet on Children of Morta somewhere along the way...

I'm curious to hear if you're still enjoying it after a few hours of gameplay. Please let us (me) know!

Been playing some more and while the gameplay is not astounding or anything you have to remember this is a roguelite so it is bound to be little repetitive. That said - in Children of Morta you have several characters to choose from when going on a dungeon run and they really play differently. Furthermore the game really encourages you to change your chosen character pretty often so this offsets the staleness of the core gamplay considerably. Plus the game is really really something when it comes to presentation. The design of the enemies, the levels, even the special skills look amazing. Give it a shot - it is worth it!

Blasphemous is something I want to try because from what I have seen the aesthetic is really great. Gameplay-wise it seems like a Metroidvania but that does not bother me that much. Plus the religious imagery is really evocative.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:57 pm 

Uhhh yeah, I definitely know the genres of both games and what they tend to entail! I think plenty of roguelites have proven that exciting gameplay that makes you want to "jump back in" is not only possible, but the #1 requirement for a great game.

Blasphemous is so gorgeous that I STILL want to play it even though I keep hearing it's kinda tedious.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:53 pm 

I beat Blasphemous recently and really liked it. I'm on my phone now and can give a more in-depth review later, but yeah, it's totally sick.

I'll say this though, it's a game that's made specifically for seasoned Metroidvania maniacs. It isn't something like Hollow Knight, which is so blatantly and blindingly brilliant that I'd recommend it to any kind of gamer. Blasphemous is brutal and punishing and seems to assume you've played plenty of these kinds of games before, if that makes sense.

Also, it does have flaws. Parts are pretty janky and buggy honestly, and it could really use a patch to smooth certain sections out, which I imagine it will get. The platforming is also not as fluid or fun as the combat, which is fantastic. Still, I loved everything else so much that these sorts of problems didn't really end up bothering me a great deal.

Zdan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:57 pm 

Yeah - did not want to offend you in any way and sorry if I sounded like that! Children of Morta is also great in the sense that every run gets you SOMETHING - experience for your current character, gold etc. You do not lose those even if you died midway before getting to the boss. I love that about the game because I had experiences with roguelites where if you died you lost your stuff and no progress was made. Not the case here.

Blasphemous really nailed it as far as the imagery goes. I also want to play it but I heard it gets problematic really fast. The combat looks great though.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:01 pm 

Getting in some more sweet Total War: Warhammer action in my current Warriors of Chaos campaign, playing as Archaeon the Everchosen himself (though I did also just recruit the grand daddy dragon ogre shaggoth boss, Kholek Suneater). I am now deep within the heart of Middenheim, which I just conquered, after spending 100 turns completely destroying those weak manlings of Kislev. With the aid of my Norscan allies and the ravenous Vampire Counts from the east, we march towards Altdorf to ensure the final destruction of the Empire of Man. \m/

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:24 pm 

Zdan wrote:
Yeah - did not want to offend you in any way and sorry if I sounded like that!

Nah not at all, I thought it was funny that you told me which genre they both are when I had said they were 2 games I obsessed over before their release. I was being the dick, tbh.

That is very nice to hear about Children of Morta. I like games like Dead Cells or Spirits Abyss where you may die and lose your run, but you at least know you unlocked some new shit first. I'm a complete sucker for the art style and the idea that there's actually a story line. Although I hope that the storyline isn't so heavy that it discourages starting a new game when it's over. I like the variety of characters. I watched someone stream it on Steam earlier today (probably a dev) and the only thing that looked concerning to me was how INCREDIBLY repetitive the areas were that they were playing through. It was all sand-colored. Everything. I'm sure that changes as you progress and beat bosses, but boy was it drab to look at.

Razakel, thank you for the more details breakdown on Blasphemous! It's a bummer that the platforming is found to be lacking. Especially when games like Super Meatboy, Specter of Torment, Celeste (!!!) and The Messenger exist to show that platforming controls and the "flow" they provide can be a game unto itself. I should probably grab Blasphemous while it's on sale but other stuff keeps getting placed ahead on my own little (not little, overfull and bulging) wishlist.

Zdan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:35 pm 

No problem man!

As far as Children of Morta and the areas/dungeons: yeah these are not the highpoint of the game. Unfortunately this is probably the one aspect where the developers dropped the ball because it does seem pretty samey. The enemies are cool and the when the game introduces new ones you do struggle on how to deal with them at first which is a plus in my book. The storyline is not very heavy (as far as I have seen) but the pacing is great and the narrator is sublime. An ace up the game's sleeve if I say so myself (then again I am a sucker for great narrators like the one in Bastion).

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:36 pm 

I really liked Blasphemous vastly more than all of those other platformers to be honest. It's an amazing game and I've been saying that on this forum since it was released. It's not a flaw in the mechanics, but rather a deliberate design choice for a more retro early Castlevania-inspired kind of feeling. Maybe not for everyone of course but that game wouldn't be half as cool with a more smooth and flowing kind of movement physics.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:40 pm 

Intentionally dated platforming mechanics, roger that. I guess I'm in the "everyone" camp cause that sounds dreadful.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:21 pm 

I gather it's just not the kind of game you think it is. Just because there exists today amazingly tight, fluid platforming-only games like Celeste doesn't mean that every game with platforming in them needs to be like that. If comparing Blasphemous to other games would help paint a picture, I guess I'd say think Salt and Sanctuary if it was a bit faster paced and with a way cooler art style and if it was a bit less Dark Souls and a bit more old school Castlevania. Does that sound good? No? Then that's fine (I guess :-P).

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:08 pm 

That's exactly what I thought it was, and you had already done a super great job describing it. Thanks man. I'm sure I'll grab it when the time and sale is right.

I never finished S&S because the platforming elements were so bad. :lol:

I don't expect it to be as fast as a game that is strictly a platformer. But to me it's real silly to intentionally emulate older games with stiff platforming. I just want it to feel crispy. Odallus is a love letter to Castlevania and the platforming is VERY slow paced but the controls are great and you can grab onto ledges which feels reliable. It's a great example to me of how to do this right. Shit, I gotta go play some Odallus!

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:32 am 

MaleficDevilry wrote:
Morn Of Solace wrote:
Can anybody help me with the Hollow Knight Ps4 edition? I want to buy it but i'm struggling to find clear informations on it(

You need the Voidheart Edition for all DLC.

I received the physical ps4 version and to my surprise it seems to contain 4 dlc packs 0_0 better this way i suppose :)

Can't wait to play it!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:26 am 

One thing you'll learn to appreciate about Team Cherry (the Hollow Knight devs) they give you an UNBELIEVABLE amount of value for your money. I'm still baffled that I spent like $10 on Hollow Knight. They deserve more. I re-bought it on Steam just cause.

Last day of the sale I believe. I grabbed Super House of Dead Ninjas just for fun cause it's like $1.50. There are a million other things I'd like to nab but hey, gotta keep a roof over our heads.

Edit: Super House of Dead Ninjas is the best expenditure of $1.50 in recent memory. It is SO ADDICTING. Kind of like if Downwell were more fleshed out and revolved around frantic ninja action. The soundtrack also slaps and that is a huge bonus. This game is from like 2013 so there's a decent chance everyone else on earth has already played it and moved on.

Last edited by Jonpo on Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:07 pm 

That's how I felt about HK. I bought the digital, and the deluxe PS4 collector's edition. One of my favorite games, ever.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:46 pm 

Any of you metroidvania freaks dive into Cathedral yet? I believe it's only on Steam at the moment. It feels like the kind of game that should be getting some major attention from indie/metroidvania fans but I'm not sure if there's any buzz at all.

I only got to spend about 20 minutes with it last night but a few things were very satisfying right away. There is ZERO exposition at the beginning of the game. They literally drop you into a Cathedral and just turn you lose. Your only "quest" at the beginning is to escape. But the fact that a quest log exists promises more depth. The second thing that grabbed me is how ultra-tight the controls are. This game feels like someone said "Okay, Shovel Knight ruled, but what if it were a full metroidvania instead of pure platformer?". This is that game, I'm pretty sure. I got it for $10 during the sale, and would recommend doing the same, but if you're a real metroidvania nut this is probably worth $15. Can't wait to explore the Cathedral further.

Note the 100% positive reviews on Steam so far.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:29 pm 

There are too many Metroidvanias for me to get to!!!

Speaking of Shovel Knight, I loved it but I haven't kept track of all the offshoot games. Can someone walk me through some of them and tell me which, if any, are worth playing? I think I heard there's another one out now, or coming out.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:58 pm 

Oh dude. Duuuuuude! Please just buy the bundle and get them all. But SPECIFICALLY, Specter of Torment (the Specter Knight game) is the best platformer I've ever played. Maybe check out some footage of someone else playing, the movement mechanics and the way you use his scythe to rocket off of enemies...It's so addicting. It flows even better than The Messenger. I dare you to not love Specter Knight.

Plague Knight still hasn't grabbed me. He moves in a weird way and I just don't have the muscle memory built up yet. But if you watch a speedrunner play Plague Knight you can see the full potential of his moveset, and it is glorious. The new one, King of Cards, the King Knight story, looks like an improvement even further. Yacht Club Games is on fucking beast mode right now. I personally can't wait for them to publish Cyber Shadow.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:06 pm 

What the fuck, one of the side-games is even better than Shovel Knight?? I'll have to check it out. I remember just thinking they were sort of random offshoot DLCs and thinking it was sorta dumb they didn't just make a full-on sequel, but I guess I'm a dumbass.

By the way, I finally played about an hour of Hyper Light Drifter. It's...really weird. I get that having no tutorial and giving the player nothing at the get-go is what's cool right now, but I'm just not really sure even how to play the game at this point lol. I wandered around for a bit and now I'm in the "east" area getting lost in those underground areas. Am I doing ok?

Last edited by Razakel on Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:07 pm 

Really enjoying Jedi Fallen Order so far.

I recommend playing on Jedi Master difficulty. Tried Grandmaster for several hours, but it's just too gruelling to die in 2 hits at everything. Wish I could just have kept the Grandmaster parry window and reduced the damage a bit, but oh well.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Timeghoul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:20 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
One thing you'll learn to appreciate about Team Cherry (the Hollow Knight devs) they give you an UNBELIEVABLE amount of value for your money. I'm still baffled that I spent like $10 on Hollow Knight. They deserve more. I re-bought it on Steam just cause.

Based off of your recommendation, I am going to purchase/download this this weekend.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:56 pm 

Razakel wrote:
By the way, I finally played about an hour of Hyper Light Drifter. It's...really weird. I get that having no tutorial and giving the player nothing at the get-go is what's cool right now, but I'm just not really sure even how to play the game at this point lol. I wandered around for a bit and now I'm in the "east" area getting lost in those underground areas. Am I doing ok?

That's a great start! It's up to you which direction you tackle first. There's a dungeon at all 4 cardinal directions, plus a lot of hidden areas to find within those biomes. If I remember correctly, the east might be a little harder than the west, but it's been some months since my last playthrough.

I hope you're enjoying the base gameplay so far. The combat gets hella spicy once you unlock some upgrades. There are various vendors in the homebase area that you should talk to and see what kind of upgrades they "sell". My biggest advice for HLD is learn to spot the "signs" on the floor for a secret. You'll know what I mean once you find the first few. Some are VERY OBVIOUS, some are ULTRA NOT. Good luck my friend! I can give more specific advice as needed, but a lot of the fun is figuring it out. Don't hesitate to shoot me a PM though if you have any specific questions.

Timeghoul wrote:
Based off of your recommendation, I am going to purchase/download this this weekend.

That's awesome news! I can't take any credit though, it's just a glorious piece of interactive art that I'll never stop heaping my praise upon. The scary thing, the absolute rub of it all, is that I think the sequel/prequel, Silksong, is going to be EVEN BETTER. Team Cherry are madmen.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:55 pm 

So the new Rocket League update is kinda bullshit for anybody who's spent actual money on DLC cars in the past.

Metal81
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:01 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Really enjoying Jedi Fallen Order so far.

I recommend playing on Jedi Master difficulty. Tried Grandmaster for several hours, but it's just too gruelling to die in 2 hits at everything. Wish I could just have kept the Grandmaster parry window and reduced the damage a bit, but oh well.

Just picked this up yesterday, your recommendation was the tipping point as I kept hear good stuff about it.

It it a lot of fun. I've been having trouble finding fulfillment from non-FromSoft games recently but this is a good take on their approach to difficulty and level design while also having its own soul (pun 100% intended).

I'm taking the last couple weeks of the year off to burn through some PTO so happy to find this, thanks!

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:53 pm 

These are the games offered by HumbleBundle this month, I already picked Tomb Rider. Which others do you suggest?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:34 pm 

I've heard only good things about Blasphemous, so that one's probably a shoo-in.

Mellifleur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:35 pm 

Played Assassin's Creed for the first time today. Was not like I thought it would be like! Instead of just skulking around a big building hiding from guards like Thief or Splinter Cell like I thought it would be you're just wandering around big ass deserts and cities looking for dudes to shiv. Love that there is a dedicated "engage in socially unacceptable behavior" button. :P

Weird that the guards loose their shit if you ride your horse too fast in the wilderness though. Only assassins are in a hurry I guess.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:45 am 

Metal81 wrote:
Just picked this up yesterday, your recommendation was the tipping point as I kept hear good stuff about it.

It it a lot of fun. I've been having trouble finding fulfillment from non-FromSoft games recently but this is a good take on their approach to difficulty and level design while also having its own soul (pun 100% intended).

I'm taking the last couple weeks of the year off to burn through some PTO so happy to find this, thanks!

Cool, glad you're enjoying it too!

I really enjoy the level design, force powers, puzzles and traversal, and the combat's good too. Story is just OK but it's basically typical Star Wars, which is... fine, really. It's all I ever really want or care about.

Think I'm close to the end myself. It sucks a bit how easy it became since I switched to Jedi Master, but I just couldn't deal with dying that much, and that's someone who likes Sekiro lol.

I basically compare the difficulties of the games as such:

Jedi Master = much easier than Sekiro, maybe Sekiro on NG+ with Kuro's charm and all the beads/memories (and still a bit easier probably)
Grandmaster = harder than Sekiro, closer to Sekiro on NG with Demon's Bell and without Kuro's charm

They really needed an option between the two IMO. Can't imagine what joke it would be on Story Mode or Jedi Knight difficulty. Yet FromSoft has only one setting (outside of the bell/charm modifiers) and it's perfect for me. Go figure!

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:01 am 

also hear to echo that Blasphemous is really damn good. I 100+ it recently - I haven't been "in" to a game like that since Hollow Knight, which says something.

also Dark Souls 2 is best souls outside of Demons Souls and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 884, 885, 886, 887, 888, 889, 890  Next