Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:06 pm 

Shovel Knight: King of Cards drops tomorrow as free a update for anyone who already owns the Treasure Trove bundle. I'm hyyyyped. I've been playing through Plague Knight a bit just cause I'm so excited. The movement in that game still baffles me even though I can see the potential there for greatness. I just suck.

The trailer for King Knight's game looks so fun. I think Yacht Club is right up there with Team Cherry and Motion Twin for the most ridiculous amount of content for the price paid. I was originally hesitant to buy the bundle since I already had Specter Knight as a standalone but it was a good move.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:57 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

also Dark Souls 2 is best souls outside of Demons Souls and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Finally a man after my own heart.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:05 pm 

The Pantheon of Hallownest is one of the hardest gauntlets I've ever endured. I recently replayed Hollow Knight again - astounding game, really is. The Pantheon of Hallowest, however, is bonkers. Yesterday, I made to Absolute Radiance for the first time and had my ass whipped up and down the map. I think I only made it to Phase 2 of the fight. What a game. On the plus side, I can now easily handle Nightmare King Grimm. There is a learning curve with these ultra-tough bosses.

Thrashpit
Last FM! - New Profile!

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:40 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

also Dark Souls 2 is best souls outside of Demons Souls and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Finally a man after my own heart.

I definitely like DS2 a good bit, but having so many hitboxes that are absolute jank disqualifies it from being the best for me.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:02 pm 

Axiom Verge 2 confirmed for 2020! I'm...mildly excited? I never finished the first one. I never even got very far into it. Once I got the "glitch" weapon I started to enjoy it so much more though. I need to double-back and finish that one.

The AV2 teaser trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsD0b-jrj28

Some reddit posters are already complaining about the graphics looking worse than the first one. They look lower resolution to me but I wouldn't say worse. I'm actually pleased to see what look like some change of scenery, and weapons that aren't just projectile based.

Right now I'm dying to get home and see how King of Cards feels.

ThStealthP
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:23 pm 

Who is playing The King of Fighters All Star vs Tekken 7 ?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:44 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Right now I'm dying to get home and see how King of Cards feels.

Can't recommend this game (or the Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove bundle) enough. With each new Shovel Knight campaign, Yacht Club has set out to create a unique "hook" in the way the character moves. Plague Knight had a built-in double jump PLUS his "bomb explosion" that greatly launches upwards or forwards, not to mention the ability to "stall" in the air while throwing bombs. Then Specter Knight had his "dash slash" with the scythe which is probably my favorite platforming mechanic of all time. Leaves you feeling like a mix between a god and a ninja, especially with the later upgrades.

King of Cards has a shoulder bash that transitions into a jumping pirouette. It is SO FUN! You have this move as soon as the game starts, and the way they let you play around with it and learn the feel is so intuitive. I think it's better than Shovel Knight and Plague Knight, and actually may even be on par with the dash-slash mechanic from Specter Knight's campaign.

Also, some of the dialogue is laugh-out-loud funny. King Knight is no king at all, he's an empty-headed dreamer in gilded armor. His mom bakes him pies to increase his max health and "vigor" which is basically mana. Oh and there's a full-on deck-building/card game within the main quest. I'm tragic at it but it seems fun.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:16 pm 

With the announcement that the new Xbox will be backwards compatible all the way back to the original Xbox...I hope Sony follows suit.

twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:36 pm 

MaleficDevilry wrote:
With the announcement that the new Xbox will be backwards compatible all the way back to the original Xbox...I hope Sony follows suit.

Do you think the new Xbox will play all the older games from disc? Or are they just going to be downloaded? I ask this because I have a bunch of Xbox 360 and original Xbox games on disc.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:36 pm 

I don't know, I just hope it isn't anything like Playstation Now. That lag is awful.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:00 pm 

I guess it's about time for the Jonpo Indie Pixel Art Hype Train again right? (I'm sorry y'all. I know most of you don't give a fuck. I don't have a single friend who plays these games you gotta forgive me)

Have you guys heard about ACID KNIFE? I had to wishlist it immediately. I don't have many details yet but I'm hyped just off the Steam trailer. It looks trippy, subversive, beautiful, and it looks like they took some care to make the combat more engaging than your average run-forward-and-swipe-your-weapon.

Can I just mention, with all the retro throwback metroidvania, action-adventure platformers, blah blah blah it is SO IMPORTANT to add in a few modern innovations. Like the *gasp* ability to attack in 8 directions rather than just forward and backwards. It makes SUCH a difference in gameplay. It's literally the reason I keep going back to Spirits Abyss but I've hardly touched Spelunky (sorry bro).

Zdan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:05 pm 

I got so deep into my JRPG's and Super Robot Wars that I have not touched anything else but that ACID KNIFE thing looks absolutely amazing. Got to get it!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:34 pm 

Man I haven't played a true JRPG in YEARS. Like literally since I was a child. There are a few on my radar that work off that general format though.

Small Saga is the one I'm most excited about. Look at that shit! It's just DRIPPING charm. Ugh. There's a playable demo but I'm just kinda waiting for the full thing. I've watched someone play the entire demo and since it's a JRPG...you get a feel for it.

Also there's Cris Tales which just looks fucking stunning to me. Ambitious, gorgeous artwork, and the turn-based combat looks hella engaging. There's apparently a playable demo of this one as well but I never laid hands on it.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:17 pm 

Turn-based JRPGs have always been my jam, so that Cris Tales trailer really has me excited! Looks like an instant buy for sure.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:30 pm 

If you want JRPGs with quality similar to the good ol' days, may I remind you that these two fine games already exist? :)

Cosmic Star Heroine (traditional turn-based)
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2564 ... r_Heroine/

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark (tactical/class-based and turn-based, similar to FFTactics)
https://store.steampowered.com/app/6991 ... ters_Mark/

They're seriously great games and I recommend both. Both were released on all major consoles too, if Steam isn't an option. Fell Seal is currently discounted on Greenmangaming too.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Mellifleur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:39 pm 

Did they ever update Cosmic Star Heroine to fix that bug where the menu options disappear if you mess around in the menus too much? Really need to go back and finish that game!

Zdan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:53 pm 

I second the Fell Seal and Cosmic Star Heroine mentions. Both great games!

If someone does not mind not-that-great-graphics and very slow pacing I fully recommend the Trails of Cold Steel series. Some great plot and character development in those games and the you truly feel that you are forming relationships with your companions.

Mellifleur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:03 pm 

Slow pace, yeah, the Trails games are a pretty major time investment. As far as the graphics go, they should have stuck to 2d sprites. The pixel art was top notch, and switching to incredibly bland 3d models with no real change in gameplay was not a great move.

Zdan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:33 pm 

Mellifleur wrote:
Slow pace, yeah, the Trails games are a pretty major time investment. As far as the graphics go, they should have stuck to 2d sprites. The pixel art was top notch, and switching to incredibly bland 3d models with no real change in gameplay was not a great move.

Yeah. But the combat system is great, the character development is superb and when you get used to the pacing the story becomes something you can really invested in.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:52 pm 

Inbetween Death Stranding sessions I managed to finish both Dishonored and Dishonored: DOO. I had only finished the second one up until this week. All three are great games. I'm going to wrap up the Shadow of Colossus remake this weekend too.

Mellifleur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:22 pm 

Zdan wrote:
Mellifleur wrote:

Yeah. But the combat system is great, the character development is superb and when you get used to the pacing the story becomes something you can really invested in.

I agree. They are good. I just dislike the direction they went with the art.

CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:22 am 

MaleficDevilry wrote:
Inbetween Death Stranding sessions I managed to finish both Dishonored and Dishonored: DOO. I had only finished the second one up until this week. All three are great games. I'm going to wrap up the Shadow of Colossus remake this weekend too.

I’ve given up on Death Stranding. I’ve enjoyed the story and wanna know how it ends, but I just can’t take the long, tedious gameplay any longer.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:16 pm 

Death Stranding looks like an actual joke to me. Like a video game created by The Onion to troll people. I'm assuming there must be a super engaging storyline or something cause the gameplay I've seen was tragic.

Darkest Dungeon peeps? I need some help. Or maybe like...I don't even know. I can't tell if I'm bad (very likely) or just doing something fundamentally wrong. I beat the first mission which I assume is more or less a tutorial/get your feet wet situation. Every time I embark on a second mission I've gotten party-wiped by The Thing from the Stars. Am I supposed to just fucking run from this guy? He has like 150 hp and if I land a BIG CRITICAL HIT I do about 11 damage. He resists stun every time, and his damage and stress output is more than I can keep up with.

I got him down to about 15 HP last night but 3/4 adventurers had died and I couldn't finish him off before he wiped out my last guy. Am I missing something here? The mission feels COMPLETELY fine/totally doable until I run into this big bastard.

edit: I got an answer on reddit that the Thing from the Stars doesn't activate until you do the first Farmstead mission. I've only done ONE mission successfully but I didn't think it was anything special. I don't remember. I think I'm going to just restart a fresh game tonight and see if I can approach the mission select differently.

edit edit: Steam Winter Sale 2019 is live. God help us all.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:55 pm 

Y'all ever buy a game that has no support for your language? :lol: it looks so dope though....(early access)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1078490/Seed_Hunter/ I kind of want to grab it while it's dirt cheap just to see if I can figure it out without language support. I'm sure they plan to update it with English at some point...right? Maybe not.

Also this early access game is billing itself as "FPS Hotline Miami", color me intrigued: https://store.steampowered.com/app/9927 ... _Downfall/

edit: I bought Seed Hunter and Gato Roboto. Don't buy Seed Hunter, at least not yet. It's anime Dead Cells. It could be cool one day, but it's still very raw right now, and it doesn't "feel" nearly as good as Dead Cells to play. The visuals are neat and I like how each weapon you find has a gimmick, but it's not there yet.

Gato Roboto is a mini-metroidvania masterpiece though. Every little touch exudes cuteness, but the controls are airtight and the difference in feeling between cat running free as a kitty and cat piloting a mech suit is huge. You feel so weighty and powerful in the suit, and so agile and fragile out of it. I think this game already has like 8,000 positive reviews so I know I'm spitting in the wind but god DAMN is Gato Roboto great. Highlight is the kitty face turning angry when you're firing, and happy when you save.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:16 pm 

I'm going to wrap up Shadow of Colossus tonight and hop into Control or Hellblade. SoC took less than five hours. Beautiful game.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:04 am 

Children of Morta has a lot going for it. The visuals are gorgeous, the family is easy to pack-bond with, and the narration is stellar. The gameplay loop feels a bit grindy though. Like I made it to some kind of spider boss on my first run but I got ANNIHILATED by the sheer number of smaller mobs on screen. It seems like I'm going to have to just grind some runs to level up and acquire more abilities and damage? I wish it felt like skill mattered more.

Zdan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:01 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Children of Morta has a lot going for it. The visuals are gorgeous, the family is easy to pack-bond with, and the narration is stellar. The gameplay loop feels a bit grindy though. Like I made it to some kind of spider boss on my first run but I got ANNIHILATED by the sheer number of smaller mobs on screen. It seems like I'm going to have to just grind some runs to level up and acquire more abilities and damage? I wish it felt like skill mattered more.

Do not get discouraged. That first boss is actually not indicative of the whole game. I think it is supposed to get you a couple of your first runs - for you to get acquainted with the characters and indeed - get some abilities and damage. Later he becomes a joke and a cakewalk.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:37 am 

Not discouraged in the least! I played quite a bit this weekend. Leveled up, unlocked some abilities, unlocked my little knife-obsessed bro. It's a really fun game, and I guess there is some skill involved but it's more directly related to your ability to kite, for me anyways, since I mostly play as the bow-daughter (Linda? They all have such boring, regular ass names).

Still haven't defeated the stupid spider boss although I came real close. I should have beat him on my last run but I was overconfident and forgot to just kite/dodge his drop attacks. I have a bit of a vendetta/grudge and I want to beat the spider with Linda, but I have a feeling I could cheese her with Kevin's chain-attacks and rage. (I seriously, SERIOUSLY hate these character names. Literally my only complaint with the game so far. They all sound like one annoying family shopping at Wal-mart)

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:30 pm 

God I hate making back-to-back posts I'm sorry. This is completely unrelated to my last post:

Any recommendations for Paper Mario inspired RPGs on Steam? I've got an itch to play something that's turn-based but has rhythm elements. I'm looking at Underhero but it looks kind of...easy? And Bug Fable is like wildly beloved on Steam but there's just something about it making me hesitate. Probably how similar the characters look to the Hollow Knight world sits wrong with me. I'm real curious about this one: https://store.steampowered.com/app/9203 ... he_Zodiac/ but there aren't many reviews yet and they're all over the god damn place.

(I am going to pick up Cosmic Star Heroine but that's not really the kind of thing I'm requesting reccs on)

Okay fuck it I'm buying Underhero but I'm still open to any/all reccs and hot takes.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:27 pm 

Control has quickly become one of my favorite games of 2019. I'm also enjoying the hell out of Metro: Exodus. I can't believe I slept on both of these.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:47 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
God I hate making back-to-back posts I'm sorry. This is completely unrelated to my last post:

Any recommendations for Paper Mario inspired RPGs on Steam? I've got an itch to play something that's turn-based but has rhythm elements. I'm looking at Underhero but it looks kind of...easy? And Bug Fable is like wildly beloved on Steam but there's just something about it making me hesitate. Probably how similar the characters look to the Hollow Knight world sits wrong with me.

Yahtzee says that Bug Fable is straight-up Paper Mario but without the polish that comes with being a first-party Nintendo game, and he says that if you've been craving Paper Mario, it'll scratch the itch for you but it has its bumps.
Mob Psycho 100 II
After That: Martian Successor Nadesico and The Irresponsible Captain Tylor

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:52 am 

Been playing Hollow Knight..
it's my first metroidvania and it's giving me some headaches as the map is very vast and i found a lot of areas to backtrack, but it has been an interesting journey:
It reminds me a bit of the Made in Abyss anime, with this long descent into weird, wonderful places

I still not feel too confident about my combat skills, as i won many fights just tanking the hits and using the regeneration in the corners of the arenas. The only boss i feel i really mastered are the Mantis Lords, just because i couldn't find the time to heal at all

I've now beaten the second Hornet encounter, and i still feel there are tons of places i have to see.. so little time to do everything :(

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:37 am 

Shovel Knight: Kings of Cards is awesome. It's astounding how Yacht Club continues to update the game with new and fresh features despite having the same foundation to work with. I don't like it as much as Spectre of Torment, which is OUTSTANDING, but I love King of Cards thus far. The addition of the card game is really cool.

Thrashpit
Last FM! - New Profile!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:13 pm 

*hits the Plague Knight dance*

Isn't it great? I'm playing through King of Cards super slowly because I've got such a glut of games right now. I love the way they broke it up in the world map, like those weird little mini-levels that progress the story and unlock more areas. The bash-pirouette mechanic is ALMOST as great as the slash dash from Specter Knight, but not quite. Overall that's how I'd describe the game. Nearly as flawless as Specter Knight, but not quite.

I haven't figured the card game out yet. It makes me feel idiotic I swear.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:18 pm 

Hey Jonpo I beat Hyper Light Drifter a while ago. Very cool, strange, original game. Took me a bit to get into but once it clicks it was a lot of fun. Favourite game ever? Not for me at least, but worth the time.

I'm now playing through the games in the Castlevania Collection I haven't played before, which is most of them. Currently on Dracula's Curse and it rules! Stoked to get to Bloodlines as well.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:31 pm 

Awesome man I'm glad you enjoyed it! I don't expect it to have the same impact on everyone. It introduced me to a whole world of indie games I was completely unaware of. Pulled me down the rabbit-hole so to speak. I love the atmosphere, the artwork, the "secrets", and the combat so much. It's a real shame the next product from the same dev team looks like garbage to me. Visually.

I go back to HLD quite a bit for a replay because I've never found anything else with combat quite like that. That knife-edge balance is the whole deal for me.

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:27 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I haven't figured the card game out yet. It makes me feel idiotic I swear.

Figuring out the card game was tough, but it really boils down to a stacked deck. The better cards you have, the higher the odds of winning. I swapped out a few weaker cards for stronger ones when I was still learning and stuck on an opponent. Needless to say, I burned through almost everyone by consistently upgrading the deck with newer, stronger cards. It's almost to the point where actual strategy is a lesser variable than just beefing the fucker up to 11.

Thrashpit
Last FM! - New Profile!

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:53 pm 

I just finished Disco Elysium. Fuck, probably the best game I've played this year. It's funny, beautiful and heartbraking at the same time.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:40 am 

Finished Blasphemous last night (got it for Christmas). Pretty cool game.

Here's my review if anyone cares: https://steamcommunity.com/id/morrigans ... ed/774361/

Just started now on another Christmas present, MediEvil remake for PS4. And oh boy it's ah... a bit too faithful to the original tbh :oh shit:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:28 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Finished Blasphemous last night (got it for Christmas). Pretty cool game.

Here's my review if anyone cares: https://steamcommunity.com/id/morrigans ... ed/774361/

Just started now on another Christmas present, MediEvil remake for PS4. And oh boy it's ah... a bit too faithful to the original tbh :oh shit:

Yeah, I was expecting the controls and combat to be better, it's a bit of a mess as it is. It feels too clunky.

Blasphemous is great, loved the atmosphere.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 885, 886, 887, 888, 889, 890  Next