Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:25 pm 

Vadara wrote:
I mean shit, keep Doomguy in them and they probably still make good album covers.

I've been playing with the classic Doomguy armour and he looks like someone straight out of a Sodom album cover.

Now I'm on Nekravol Pt. 2. Must be nearly done. I got the Unmakyr but haven't really used it much. What do you guys think - better than the BFG?

Also I have a question - what enemies can you not chainsaw? I thought that with full fuel you could chainsaw anything other than bosses but I swear whenever I try to chainsaw a baron of hell I just can't. Can't remember if I've tried on an Archvile.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:37 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Vadara wrote:
I mean shit, keep Doomguy in them and they probably still make good album covers.

I've been playing with the classic Doomguy armour and he looks like someone straight out of a Sodom album cover.

Now I'm on Nekravol Pt. 2. Must be nearly done. I got the Unmakyr but haven't really used it much. What do you guys think - better than the BFG?

Also I have a question - what enemies can you not chainsaw? I thought that with full fuel you could chainsaw anything other than bosses but I swear whenever I try to chainsaw a baron of hell I just can't. Can't remember if I've tried on an Archvile.

You can chainsaw everything except “super heavy” demons. 3 fuel will get rid of a hell knight, arachnotron, minotaur, etc. 5 fuel would get rid of a Baron in the last game, but in Eternal, Barons, Archviles, and other “super heavy” demons can’t be chainsawed. Ah well, one hit from the Crucible will take ‘em down.
Now imagine Varg in prison. As he is trying to practice his tortured wails, an inmate comes us behind him and begins to rape him. As he is being raped Varg continues to sing. That is something like what these vocals sound like.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:03 pm 

Thanks, I guess that's what I figured. I guess with the inclusion of the Crucible and Unmakyr they figured it'd be OP to let us level up the chainsaw.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:21 am 

Now would be the perfect time for Elden Ring to come out. :lol:

There is no other game I'm anticipating this much. :hyper:

Thrashpit
Last FM! - New Profile!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:39 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
I know it’s been awhile since my last response, but how far are you in the game now? I haven’t been using swords, but I have been using Odachi. After about 35-40 losses to Enenra I’ve made it to the viper boss.

Oops missed this post a few days ago. Yeah, I'm near the end now, I did the first mission of area 6 (the last one). But there's a lot of side-missions I haven't cleared yet.

Enenra was one of the hardest bosses in the game for me. But the worst has been the first boss of world 5 so far. Yiiiiikes, took me forever.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Inkshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:55 pm 

Bannerlord is out, my dudes

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:25 am 

Inkshooter wrote:
Bannerlord is out, my dudes

I'm still not sure about this one. I'd like to play a few hours before buying it but I don't think there's a demo.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:25 pm 

A friend lent me his PS4 and I'm replaying Bloodborne. It was my first FromSoft game so it's obviously going a lot more smoothly this time. My first playthrough I must have spent about 10 hours just roaming around Central Yharnam, wrapping my head around the mechanics, and dying repeatedly. And pretty much every single boss was a huge challenge.

I just wasted Shadow of Yharnam (one of the coolest bosses in the game) and Rom (easily the shittiest, lamest boss in the game, up there with lamest bosses in all of Soulsborne). Using Ludwig's sword this time, which I know is basic and noob, but hell, I've never used it before and I was always a greatsword kinda guy in Dark Souls. Can't frickin' wait to get to the DLC, which I didn't do on my first playthrough. I understand it's insanely hard? Probably gonna save it for near the end.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:19 pm 

Finished Nioh 2 last night. Awesome game, as expected! Enenra and Shibata Katsuie were the hardest bosses for me. So many retries.... shockingly got most of the bosses on the first or second attempt, but those guys took me like, 20-30 attempts probably? I'd have to check the in-game stats. Died loads more to regular enemies and falls, anyhow. 436 deaths total :lol:

Now to decide if I go deep into NG+, or wait for the DLC, which will then be possibly out of balance... In Nioh 1, I was too strong for the DLC in NG, but the NG+ DLC was often too hard, lol. What to do...

Razakel wrote:
A friend lent me his PS4 and I'm replaying Bloodborne. It was my first FromSoft game so it's obviously going a lot more smoothly this time. My first playthrough I must have spent about 10 hours just roaming around Central Yharnam, wrapping my head around the mechanics, and dying repeatedly. And pretty much every single boss was a huge challenge.

I just wasted Shadow of Yharnam (one of the coolest bosses in the game) and Rom (easily the shittiest, lamest boss in the game, up there with lamest bosses in all of Soulsborne). Using Ludwig's sword this time, which I know is basic and noob, but hell, I've never used it before and I was always a greatsword kinda guy in Dark Souls. Can't frickin' wait to get to the DLC, which I didn't do on my first playthrough. I understand it's insanely hard? Probably gonna save it for near the end.

Nice! Yeah, the DLC is harder than any regular game content outside of the depth 4 and 5 chalice dungeons so you may want to hold off until you at least have a +10 weapon.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Timeghoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:18 am 

I have been playing the Long Dark quite a bit since having to stay inside. Last night I was surprised to look at my stats and see that I had only explored 19% of the world. I had spent the entire weekend walking (although I did get lost in a white out). All this and I have yet to find the post office.

Quote:
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:04 am 

I just finished Doom Eternal. What an amazing game. That said, I do have a couple of gripes.

Spoiler: show
1. The platforming in it was the least enjoyable part of it. It didn't detract from the game but I can see why people dislike it.

2. The Lost Soul, Pain Elemental, and the Archvile - especially the Archvile - were woefully underused. The Archvile was introduced really late in the game and wasn't seen much, which was a huge shame because I quite liked him as a demon, spawning other demons and having interesting attacks. I would've really liked to have seen it used more throughout the game.

3. The Marauder was my least favourite enemy, but that could be because I sucked at killing it. :P

4. Other items I wish were used more, such as the Buff Totem. I loved that as a concept and wish it was utilised more often.

Despite all that, it seems like my biggest gripe of the game was "I didn't get enough of things I liked." I had a hell of a lot of fun playing it. The graphics were absolutely gorgeous. The gameplay was really fast-paced. I will likely play this again and again.

There's been mixed reviews when comparing it to Doom 2016. That game was amazing, too, but I really think this one is better. There's just a lot more to it and I thoroughly enjoyed playing it. Good job, Id Software.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:11 pm 

Just beat The Old Hunters DLC. Hooooly god damn. First of all, absolutely amazing. FromSoft really pulls out all the stops with bonus content - incredible new areas, enemies, weapons, items, and...bosses! Man, Ludwig, Lawrence, and Orphan of Kos really fucked me up. I was shocked that I beat Maria first try, since a couple people had told me she was just as hard as the other bosses in the DLC. Maybe I got lucky? I dunno, I just went in blind and pretty much wrecked her. Not the case with the others. Not even sure who I found hardest. Lawrence? That second phase was so hard to deal damage to. And Ludwig was someone who I don't even know if I ever really figured out. Often I'd get a good fight in but then other times he'd just wipe his ass with me as soon as I was through the gate. Oh well, got him eventually. Kos was another doozy but in the end his moveset was fairly easy to read and it's just kind of a game of knowing when's safe to attack and when isn't.

Just Mergo's Wet Nurse left and then back to the Dream.

Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:24 pm 

Lady Maria is kind of a fifty/fifty, in the sense that she's super fragile and easy to stagger but hits like a truck and moves like greased lightning. If you got good reflexes and can keep the preasure on her without taking too much damage, she goes down relatively easily.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:03 pm 

I just found her to be pretty much like a regular hunter with a bigger health bar. I know she gets a different moveset in her second phase, but I sliced her up too quick to really notice.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:47 pm 

Lady Maria is vulnerable to quick weapons, she's a pain with a big slow weapon. I took so many tries with the Kirkhammer, then I switched to 1h mode and got her first try :lol:

Awesome boss overall though.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:15 pm 

What she lacks in defense she makes up for in style.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:19 pm 

Just beat the game. After the DLC, the last three bosses were pretty easy, but still, god damn. Easily one of my favourite games ever. I'd hardly change a comma. Time for some Elden Ring news, FromSoft!

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:23 pm 

Yeah, Lady Maria is an odd one. I remember it was the hardest boss for me. Like I though I had it under control and then she just made 3 quick sudden moves and I was dead.

Overall Bloodborne may be my favourite game ever. It's just so good on every aspect and so fun to replay.

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:12 am 

With "hunter" enemies i've always found that the best weapon is the Saif, the little tracking attack is golden to bait and punish

Also, are we going to talk about how friggin hard is the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst if fought fairly? :lol: on NG +7 he was a two shotting nightmare, with an enormous hp pool and that fast gun attack that decimates your health. I genuinely think it was harder than most bosses

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:22 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Also, are we going to talk about how friggin hard is the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst if fought fairly? :lol: on NG +7 he was a two shotting nightmare, with an enormous hp pool and that fast gun attack that decimates your health. I genuinely think it was harder than most bosses

I forgot about that one, proably the only hunter I couldn't beat on my first playthrough (I only got the game for a week so I had to leave a few things unfinished).

I'm finally playing Borderlands 3 and I'm surprised how fun it is.

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:49 am 

I'm re-developing an addiction for Bloodborne's Cursed Chalices :lol:

After years of avoiding it i made an arcane build... and it's completely utterly busted!
A decently gemmed arcane Saw Spear hits way, way more than the physical counterpart (stuff like 800+ dmg on Pthumerians for a single R1 attack) and the executioner gloves deal absurd damage as well. you lose pretty much all your visceral attack damage, but with regular attacks this strong its a non-issue

Even the toughest bosses like the Watchdog and the Loran Darkbeast become laughable, it's like playing easy mode :lol:

Timeghoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:18 pm 

I ended getting myself trapped in the Long Dark. I spent a lot of time in the Mountain Town and decided it was time to head back. I went down the one rope and ended up getting hurt going down. It ended up making me weighed down to much to go down the second rope. I decided I will rest and recover. Then I can head down the second line. At some point I left my sleeping bag in Mountain Town before I made this trip out. I couldn't go back up the the line, or down the other due to my injuries. I made myself light, but leaving a lot behind. Was totally fucked. So that was that. I was saving over previous saves. My other save was previous to even getting to Mountain Town. I ended up just committing suicide off of the mountain, seeing if I could actually climb down without the rope. I died. Sucks to. I had put a lot of time into it. A lot. I had a lot explored and had most of my skills up to 5. I played through the story for a while, but I think I have had enough of this game for now.

Quote:
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

contrapak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:07 pm 

Timeghoul wrote:
I think I have had enough of this game for now.

Are you looking for another survivor game? Might I recommend The Forest? It's quicker gameplay wise and, at times, scary as shit.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:52 pm 

Has anyone else been playing Doom Eternal a bunch since it came out, loved it initially, and then realized exactly how much is wrong with it? I went back and played some 2016 Doom lately, and all of my misgivings about Eternal multiplied.
Here is a review that I wrote on Steam that details my gripes. I won't repost them all here.

The more I think about it, the more Eternal seems like a cash grab that is Doom in name only. The combat's pretty good, even if there are a few too many bells & whistles, but the story, characters, flashy environments, and everything else are pretty much crap.

Oh yeah. The Bethesda.net account registration and the ads for "in-game events" and "slayer levels" on the main menu. Fuck that.
Now imagine Varg in prison. As he is trying to practice his tortured wails, an inmate comes us behind him and begins to rape him. As he is being raped Varg continues to sing. That is something like what these vocals sound like.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:15 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Has anyone else been playing Doom Eternal a bunch since it came out, loved it initially, and then realized exactly how much is wrong with it? I went back and played some 2016 Doom lately, and all of my misgivings about Eternal multiplied.
Here is a review that I wrote on Steam that details my gripes. I won't repost them all here.

The more I think about it, the more Eternal seems like a cash grab that is Doom in name only. The combat's pretty good, even if there are a few too many bells & whistles, but the story, characters, flashy environments, and everything else are pretty much crap.

Oh yeah. The Bethesda.net account registration and the ads for "in-game events" and "slayer levels" on the main menu. Fuck that.

So basically, Doom Eternal is just a really good game while Doom 2016 is a goddamn modern classic?

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:38 pm 

Hmmm, I can see where you're coming from but I don't agree with you completely. I guess it mostly comes down to the fact that I can't bring myself to give even the slightest fraction of a shit about the story. Yes, it's hilariously dumb and shoved down your throat much more so than in Doom 2016, but I just don't care. That's not at all what I play Doom for. I agree that Doom 2016 did a better job of having what I'd basically call an "optional" story, in that it's there if you want it but also not there at all if you don't want it. Also, yeah, the cut scenes were mostly just an annoyance.

But at the end of the day, I'd also have to say that I like Doom 2016 more than Doom Eternal, which is actually pretty damn disappointing to admit. I can't even really put my finger on it, but Doom Eternal just seems to be lacking something that I adored about 2016. It's basically the exact same game but with more features, and yet...I don't even know. When Doom 2016 came out, I beat it, then immediately beat it again on Ultra-Violence, then immediately beat it again on Nightmare, and even after that I'd constantly go back and replay my favorite levels, making sure I found every god damn collectible. But now with Eternal, I played through it right when it dropped on Ultra-Violence and haven't touched it since. Again, I can hardly even pinpoint what it is about this one that doesn't get me coming back to it, but something just didn't click in the same way. And what's even stranger is that it's hard to think about going back to play 2016 without some of the new features like dash and the grappling hook.

Oh well, I still definitely liked it quite a bit and I'm glad (if a bit confused) that it seems to be more broadly appealing and successful.

contrapak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:23 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:

Doom Eternal is an unnecessary platformer disguised as a Doom game. While it plays silky smooth, there's a lot to be desired. Doom 2016 is definitely one of the GOAT.

Now, I will say Eternal has a killer soundtrack.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:47 pm 

contrapak wrote:
Doom Eternal is an unnecessary platformer disguised as a Doom game. While it plays silky smooth, there's a lot to be desired. Doom 2016 is definitely one of the GOAT.

I mean, that's obvious hyperbole but sure. I didn't even mind the platforming sections, though they were maybe a bit too frequent. I guess it'll be interesting to see what direction the series goes in from here, since those of us who prefer 2016 are in the definite minority.

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:01 am 

Doom Eternal is a very fine game, the only gripe I have with it is that you don't really get what's going on in the story if you don't pay attention to the codex entries you find scattered around. In Doom 2016 those were optional and deepened the experience, whereas in Doom Eternal they are basically "mandatory". I put mandatory in quotation marks because even if you read those logs, the story is ridiculous bullshit. They basically roll out whole Tolkien style fleshed out universe which is not supplementing the demon slaying, but distracting from it. This backstory was tastefully and mysteriously hinted at in Doom 2016, but now it's just all over the place. Motivations become unclear, relationships between characters you don't care about are blown out of proportions and the Doom Slayer bows to a king now, apparently. I dunno, I simply hate it. It feels like a crossover between some unrelated Fantasy franchise and Doom. Makes for some cool and diverse locations though.

Hammer that R key to skip the story cutscenes and the game is a joy from beginning to end, including the trivial, but fluid platforming. To me, it's just a superior method of traversal and allows for more interesting level designs. The platforming was far more annoying in Doom 2016, because you were less agile and errors meant instant death. Remember that level inside Argent Tower?

As for comparison with Doom 2016, they both have their pros and cons. Doom 2016 is a more immersive experience whereas Doom Eternal is a better Game (in the sense of "Arcade Game" maybe), especially in the combat department. Goddamn that management of weapons, weapon mods, resources and cool-down abilities is satisfying once you get the hang of it.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:21 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
So basically, Doom Eternal is just a really good game while Doom 2016 is a goddamn modern classic?

No, Doom 2016 is a well-done modernization of a classic while Eternal is a corporate-ravaged, rainbow-colored, weak attempt at epic storytelling with some great action sequences. You were close.
Razakel wrote:
And what's even stranger is that it's hard to think about going back to play 2016 without some of the new features like dash and the grappling hook.

I know! The added mobility in the form of double-dash and meat-hooking was so much fun. Even if it was to compensate for the overall reduced base movement speed.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:24 pm 

Doom Eternal is awesome. I love it. Better than 2016, which I also thought was an amazing game, too. Bring on the DLC's.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:28 pm 

All you nu-Doom stans gotta play the remake of Rise of the Triad. It's awesome, as is the music by Andrew Hulschult.

contrapak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:21 am 

darkeningday wrote:
All you nu-Doom stans

Where are my Doom 1 and 2 homies at?

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:10 pm 

I think everyone here's a Doom 1 and 2 homie.

Timeghoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:48 am 

I have been seeing a lot of clips of people playing Cloudpunk. This looks like a game I could really get into. Does anyone know when it comes out for Xbox?

Quote:

CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:25 am 

Timeghoul wrote:
I have been seeing a lot of clips of people playing Cloudpunk. This looks like a game I could really get into. Does anyone know when it comes out for Xbox?

According to this: https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/clo ... 3-minutes/

Quote:
The game is out now on PC for $19.99 with a 10% discount to $17.99 during launch week. It will come to Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Nintendo Switch at a later date.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:22 pm 

I've come around to DS2. I was desperate for something "Dark Souls." I've sunk in 120 hours in less than three weeks. :lol:

contrapak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:20 pm 

MaleficDevilry wrote:
I've come around to DS2. I was desperate for something "Dark Souls." I've sunk in 120 hours in less than three weeks. :lol:

I tried -- really tried -- Dark Souls and just could not get into it.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 12:10 pm 

Bloodroots is as fun and frenetic as it looks. Apparently it snuck out on consoles before PC. On sale thru PSN for about $14 right now.

For fans of Hotline Miami, Looney tunes, Kill Bill? I don't know. It's ultra violent and light hearted at the same time. The action is fast paced and rewards pattern memorization + improvisation. Shit's dope!

Five_Nails
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:32 am 

Stronghold Warlords seems to be coming together well.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 890, 891, 892, 893, 894  Next