Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dudeguy Jones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:47 pm 

I definitely feel that! Though I am feeling that less this run, but still have felt it.
Spoiler: show
I was getting annoyed with the Lone Shadow Longswordsman and the stupid arena you fight in and just wanted to do something else, but I really wanted that last prayer bead for another full necklace before I fight Genichiro.

Also in heavy agreement about Soulsborne being better games overall. DS1 and DS3 are two of the best games ever made. Ive even come to love DS2.
Ive never played Bloodborne because Xbox, but instead of buying a new system in the upcoming cycle I think Im just going to buy an old PS4 and finally be able to play that and some other games Ive been dying to play (Ahem! Shadow of the Colossus.)

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:18 pm 

Dudeguy Jones wrote:
Oh thanks. I know which item you speak of. I see that how I wrote it was slightly misleading. I was cruising through all bosses until I got to her. Had to go 10-15 times with her over two sessions to win. Now Im up to Genichiro. Ive only fought him once so far before stopping, but I got him to phase three.

I was aiming to beat LB without her even casting, trying to be super aggresive, but she always managed to get one off.

Oh OK that makes sense. I've done tons of runs and she can really cause issues if you get greedy or mistime your next moves, so I feel your pain. Genichiro is where the game really clicked for me and many others, hopefully you can keep on cruising through and whoop Headless Ape's ass this time around.

Dudeguy Jones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:51 pm 

Fuck yeah!!! I have hope. Getting Genichiro to the third phase, first try felt triumphant. Im gonna give it another go tonite. He took me days to beat last time, but it was where I fell in love with the game. Just kept thinking about it.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:12 am 

Dudeguy Jones wrote:
I definitely feel that! Though I am feeling that less this run, but still have felt it.
I was getting annoyed with the Lone Shadow Longswordsman and the stupid arena you fight in and just wanted to do something else, but I really wanted that last prayer bead for another full necklace before I fight Genichiro.

Also in heavy agreement about Soulsborne being better games overall. DS1 and DS3 are two of the best games ever made. Ive even come to love DS2.
Ive never played Bloodborne because Xbox, but instead of buying a new system in the upcoming cycle I think Im just going to buy an old PS4 and finally be able to play that and some other games Ive been dying to play (Ahem! Shadow of the Colossus.)

Bloodborne is supposed to be out in PC this fall. In case that helps.

Dudeguy Jones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:42 am 

Thanks! I dont have the capacity for PC gaming. Ive watched a Lets Play (ENB) and will eventually play it someday. I plan on owning a PS4 at some point.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:14 am 

Slater922 wrote:
In my opinion, Last of Us 2 was kinda underwhelming. Sure, it had its good moments, but there were also some pretty mundane moments as well. Still prefer the first one.

I just finished the game the other day. It was really fun - the exploration is always cool and the ultra violent combat is just nuts. But, I do prefer the first game. It had a much darker feel to it. I also felt a lot of the Nathan Drake series in the new game - the ultra-long cinematics, character animations etc. But overall, I think it was a worthy sequel. I'm sure I'll play it again in a few months. For now, I'm back to my Division 2 addiction.

CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:52 am 

I enjoyed Division 2, but there was WAY too much emphasis put on my character's outfit. I remember a lot of rare items found on the streets ended up just being pants, or a shirt. I will never understand how obsessed with their character's look this new generation of gamers are.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:24 am 

Hmm. I'd suggest taking another look. There aren't any "rare" outfits at all. The rare loot is the exotic weapons and gear. It's fun to customize characters, but I agree that it gets old and isn't that important. That problem plagued Far Cry 5. Every weapon was the same statistically, but there were like 100 different skins? Made no sense to me.

Bloodstone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:42 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Slater922 wrote:
In my opinion, Last of Us 2 was kinda underwhelming. Sure, it had its good moments, but there were also some pretty mundane moments as well. Still prefer the first one.

I just finished the game the other day. It was really fun - the exploration is always cool and the ultra violent combat is just nuts. But, I do prefer the first game. It had a much darker feel to it. I also felt a lot of the Nathan Drake series in the new game - the ultra-long cinematics, character animations etc. But overall, I think it was a worthy sequel. I'm sure I'll play it again in a few months. For now, I'm back to my Division 2 addiction.

For all of the game's marketing communicating that the game is NOT actually fun, I find the core gameplay of killing zombies and humans in cool looking ways to be exactly that. It improves on what the first game already had, and whether your playstyle is action or stealth, it's a fun, rollicking time alright!

On a story level, the game has a whole lot to it and is quite exhausting towards the end. It's about twice the length of a regular story-heavy cinematic action game of this type, and probably overstays its welcome a bit. Many gripping, shocking, beautiful moments (the game REALLY wants to touch base across the spectrum of emotions and make a huge statement), and I do need more time to let it all to sink in. However, I can say with confidence that it doesn't compare to how the first game really struck me and left a lasting impression long after (played through it 3 times in the past 4 years). That game really raised the bar for storytelling and acting in games, and as AAA as its production values may have been, it was often a rather small, simple, intimate, even minimalistic affair. The new game, for all its super slow dramatic cutscene moments, it will regularly switch to Uncharted-level pure action spectacle with massive setpieces, which gets a bit in the way of the game's grand ambitions of what it's trying to say. I don't blame Naughty Dog, because at the end of the day, this is a huge tentpole Sony release that's been in production for six years, delayed many times and probably gone way over budget, making it necessary for it to appeal to as many people as possible. But for me something was lost, and I'd say this is probably an 8/10 while the original was a straight 10/10.

Back on to Demon's Souls, played before but never actually completed! Plays like a dream still, even with all the improvements the later From games brought. I just missed the purple flame shield on my current game because I was carrying too much shit when picking it up, and then I died because dragons, and then it was gone foreever. :( Oh well. Will definitely finish the game this time in any case.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:29 pm 

I gave up on Division 2 after the whole game turned to M1A shyte with TU8. Armor means nothing, everybody specs all reds, and there's no viable run n' gun build anymore.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:52 pm 

I finished TLoU2 last week and it's a masterpiece that blows away part 1. Don't @ me

Dudeguy Jones wrote:
Do you guys lump Sekiro into the same pile as Soulsborne games?

Ive been playing Sekiro again since abandoning it last year at the headless ape fight. This run has been so much smoother. Going in knowing how much deflection is required and how much timing needs to be dialed in tight has really allowed me to enjoy the game a lot more. Ive quickly made my way through all bosses up to Genichiro, excepting Lady Butterfly Damn those illusions!

No I wouldn't. It shares some DNA, but overall it's action-adventure with completely different combat, traversal, etc. mechanics and not an RPG. It's an incredible game in its own right though.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:59 am 

You're the first person I've heard say it's better than the first.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Curious_dead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:14 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:

Disclaimer: I haven't finished either - part 1 because whenver I try it, I stop playing at some point for some reason or the other. It doesn't hold my attention, much like Uncharted games. And part 2 because well, it's new and I haven't had time to finish it yet.

However...

I feel like part 2 is much better when it comes to encounter design and exploration, and melee combat is spectacular due to all the details in the animations. Story is OK, but it's supported by strong characters. In part 1, I felt many of my game overs were complete bullshit. In part 2, I felt like it was fairer, and the difficulty settings means that I can more tailor the game to my likings (more resources, but deadlier enemies). Don't reduce stealth difficulty though, just lowering it one level makes enemies extremely dumb and short-sighted, huge gap there between medium and easy.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:53 pm 

The problem with these games from ND is that they're full of momentum killers in the form of A) ultra-long cut scenes, and B) perhaps more annoying, the "in between sections" of the game when they DON'T LET YOU RUN. There's like nothing I hate more than having to walk through those stupid dialogue scenes. TLoU is fun because of the stealth combat, and they need to keep up a pace to match that. It's just a video game, so I don't need a break or a "cool down" phase after a 20 minute bloodbath. I just want more action.

Last edited by Pitiless Wanderer on Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:19 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:

Weird, because literally every thing is better. The gameplay is a lot more fun and polished, level and encounter design is much better and more varied, the story is even more engaging and harrowing, and of course the visuals are a generation higher (which is obviously normal).

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
. I just want more action.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Curious_dead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:27 am 

I don't know, the whole encounter design in TLOU2 is excellent. I think they found a good beat: string of encounters, then exploration mixed with puzzle solving and banter (when you have a companion). After playing the part with
WLF and their fucking dogs, immediately followed by encounters with Stalkers, then Stalkers mixed with other Infected, then immediately after the freaking monks and their bows, I didn't feel like the game needed more action, I was ready for a bout of tranquil exploration
. If I want non-stop action I'll play Doom (another awesome game but for very different reasons).

I also think they found a really good balance for the stealth, where managing to stealthily kill multiple enemies will be advantageous but where it's also not impossible to survive an encounter guns blazing if you're noticed immediately.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:57 am 

I'm enjoying TLOU2 a lot. The gameplay is a lot better than the on first for obvious reasons. I also think the rhythm of the encounters and the exploration works great. My only grip is that the combat is very messy and it's actually pretty difficult to hit the infected so it can get tedious but I guess that was intentional.

MeavyHetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:06 am 

Been playing Undertale recently. Trying for a Pacifist run this time around and Asgore is kicking my ass :/

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:16 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
I'm enjoying TLOU2 a lot. The gameplay is a lot better than the on first for obvious reasons. I also think the rhythm of the encounters and the exploration works great. My only grip is that the combat is very messy and it's actually pretty difficult to hit the infected so it can get tedious but I guess that was intentional.

I know what you mean about the combat. I found myself constantly restarting encounters to make up for bullshit "mistakes." I wish that when the combat sequences started (when she automatically pulls out her gun) a reticle would appear without players having to hold the aim button. That way you could go in cover and line up the shot before popping out. It would make it a lot smoother. I found myself aiming and missing a lot because the clickers, for example, constantly jerk their heads around.

BloodMoonRising
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:50 pm 

Mortal Shell is in free beta stage, if anyone is interested:

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p ... dated=true

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:49 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

I know what you mean about the combat. I found myself constantly restarting encounters to make up for bullshit "mistakes." I wish that when the combat sequences started (when she automatically pulls out her gun) a reticle would appear without players having to hold the aim button. That way you could go in cover and line up the shot before popping out. It would make it a lot smoother. I found myself aiming and missing a lot because the clickers, for example, constantly jerk their heads around.

I guess they make it hard on purpose so it's a bit more realistic but who knows, maybe they're just really bad at doing this kind of action games. All I know is that shooting can be a pain in the ass, I'm not getting a lot of head shots and shooting anything in the body is just wasting ammo.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:55 pm 

I made it through Demon's Souls. I'm halfway through NG+ and I have to say that it holds up pretty well for its age.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:25 am 

I've watched enough footage and analyses from x-pert video gamers to confidently say that anyone using the words "political correctness" or SJW or woke as an invective about the TLOU2 has had their brains turned into a smoothie and doesn't deserve to have an opinion about literally anything ever again.

Imagine how much less shitty the internet would be if an internet provider called itself "Feminazi Killer" and all the Nazi gamer blogs told all their readers to buy their service to "own the SJWs" and then they were all just rerouted to a procedurally generated internet run by A.I. and normal people never had to interact or even think about these people ever again?

For anyone hailing this as a masterpiece of artistic storytelling... well, it depends on how you look at it. For a massive budget AAA video game with amazing production values and actually fun gameplay? Yeah, it's innovative and impressive in the same way The Dark Knight was amazing... you inject the tiniest bit of quality into a typical blockbuster, and it comes off as a masterpiece. Every seemingly novel idea in TLOU2 has been explored much more exhaustively in other mediums much more skillfully for hundreds of years, but I can't think of another VIDEO GAME that so thoroughly used people's own pre-existing devotion to a character as a weapon to literally hammer its point. The AAA+ gaming industry is the most artistically bankrupt sector in entertainment today; even Michael Bay movies have more artistry, so when a game actually comes in trying to say something in its glossy package outside of just asking for more $$$, it's hard to judge it too harshly.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:00 am 

Working on completing my first full-period play-through of Europa Universalis IV

It's only taken about ten starts, and nearly 200 hours, to grasp the mechanics and horrible (and sudden) pitfalls of this game. Soooo much I haven't explored yet, given that I've played as vanilla as a game as possible (England -> Great Britain). Looking forwards to trying out some of the non-European factions (especially the Americas & African factions). Looking forwards too to not having the entire early game being dominated by the sudden mood swings of France.

If anyone is after a good way to lose a week under lockdown, I'd recommend getting it - contrary to popular belief, the base game contains so much of the earlier DLCs now (including free visual upgrades / music) that you don't need to buy more than the base game to get a really full experience as a 'standard' euro faction. It's incredibly difficult even on easy, very dense, entirely unforgiving, and very satisfying when you get the mechanics square in your head.

No-one (and the forums bear this out) forgets their first time attacking a one-province minor German city, only to find a horde of other one-province German cities, and the Austrian Emperor, wiping them off the map in three or four easy turns of combat. Neither the time that you attack Bengal with your shiny, expensive, technologically advanced army and navy. So Bengal sneak some soldiers around you, and invade Sussex.

Hate and love this game in equal measure :lol:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:10 pm 

It has been a LONG time since I've had to drop the difficulty on a video game, but in the end I just want to enjoy the gorgeous pixel graphics and atmosphere of Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon. I originally tried to play it on "veteran" difficulty and I couldn't beat the second level. I just cannot deal with the combination of knock back + inability to steer your character once you've committed to a jump.

So I'm playing on "casual" now and god damn it's so fun. Just to get to see the game and experience the levels makes me happy, so fuck it I guess I'm casual. I was THRILLED to learn they're making a Curse of the Moon part 2 (and it has co-op!!!). Since it was just an appetizer I wasn't sure that they would, but I personally never even played the "real game" I was solely hyped on the accompanying retro piece.

TLDR: Curse of the Moon 2 is coming out soon, and I'm playing the first one on "casual" mode because knock back + old school mechanics makes me want to die.

Last edited by Jonpo on Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:11 pm 

I have been playing Elder Scrolls Online pretty much obsessively for months. It is a seriously cool game, and I don't play MMORPGs at all. I think this is only my second one, the first being Neverwinter Nights a billion years ago.

ESO has a pretty steep learning curve, but you can also just mash your way through most content and get things done. Some content is intentionally impossible to solo, so group play is sometimes required. It has a pretty good PvP component, with my only complaint being that a pure PvP build is incompatible with a pure PvE build, so I tend to get slaughtered in PvP areas. Not really into PvP though, so I do just what is required to get achievements.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:54 pm 

Just finished The Last of Us 2. Yeah, I loved it. That ending is just beautiful. There's really not much to say.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:57 pm 

My friend really enjoyed it. I don't play console games but I've seen some footage of it and it definitely seems like my kind of game. Some day it'll trickle onto PC, just as all video games do ;)

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:08 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Since it was just an appetizer I wasn't sure that they would, but I personally never even played the "real game" I was solely hyped on the accompanying retro piece.

I've only played the first few hours of Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, but I liked it. I couldn't get into the one you're talking about. :lol:

CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:01 am 

BloodMoonRising wrote:
Mortal Shell is in free beta stage, if anyone is interested:

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p ... dated=true

This supposedly comes out in September, but there's still no release date?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:51 am 

MaleficDevilry wrote:
I've only played the first few hours of Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, but I liked it. I couldn't get into the one you're talking about. :lol:

I'm still waiting on a hard sale for Ritual of the Night. I kind of just...hate the way it looks. I don't have any nicer or cleaner way to say that. The visuals are a total bummer to me in every way, but the reviews are so positive. Hoping to snag it for like $10 at the most. I can wait!

I've watched some gameplay of Mortal Shell and it looks so damn polished for an indie Souls-like. I don't really have any interest in playing it because if I want a Souls experience I could re-install any of the Dark Souls 1-3 and actually try to complete them. Ditto Bloodborne. To this day Sekiro is the only FromSoft game I've been able to complete. Sekiro makes me feel powerful where Dark Souls and Bloodborne all make me feel weak and squishy and anxious. I know there's never going to be Sekiro DLC but I would really enjoy another dip into that world. Maybe some playable flashbacks as Father Owl or something.

CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:22 am 

I have no idea how you were able to beat Sekiro, but couldn't beat any of the Dark Souls games.

I will never touch Sekiro again. That was one of the most miserable experiences I've ever had playing a video game.

At least in Dark Souls your character grows stronger. Sekiro is the most maddening hell I've ever experienced.

Curious_dead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:47 am 

OK, spoilers for TLOU2.

I’m not done yet, I’ve finally arrived at the part where you switch from Ellie to Abby. Yeah, tough sell after she unceremoniously kills Jesse. Even knowing it would happen, it’s a bit jarring. Still, she’s growing on me. Gameplay wise, I’ll never get tired of punching zombies (sorry, walkers, erm, I mean, “Infected”) to death with Abby, though. I love how the animations use the environment around, like if there’s a counter she’ll pound the infected’s head on the counter. It just looks spectacular and it feels good. What felt less good was killing Mel as Ellie. That was absolutely fucked up.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:37 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
I have no idea how you were able to beat Sekiro, but couldn't beat any of the Dark Souls games.

I will never touch Sekiro again. That was one of the most miserable experiences I've ever had playing a video game.

At least in Dark Souls your character grows stronger. Sekiro is the most maddening hell I've ever experienced.

I'd have to basically explain how my brain works, Ionno if this shit is boring. Basically Sekiro is a rhythm game where your character doesn't get better, you do. Like many other people I had "clicked" with this around the time of the first Genichiro fight (well....second I guess technically). I'm good at rhythm games. I can catch a pattern and lock into it, spot the variations and adjust for those. I basically felt like a god in Sekiro because the deflect ability stops EVERYTHING. (As long as you aren't charmless, that fucked me up).

Dark Souls? The reason I never beat any of them? Level design. My brain cannot handle the level design. I've never met a Dark Souls boss yet I couldn't beat. I've literally never quit on a boss fight in 1-3. I quit because I couldn't figure out where to go. Where to walk, literally. I would just walk in circles for 45 minutes in these interconnected mazes and get frustrated and quit. Obviously I could use walkthroughs and guides online but it is SO TEDIOUS trying to watch someone else play just to figure out the turn I missed, or ladder, or doorway. Also, and I know I'm probably alone on this: I'm so fucking sick of the way a dodge-roll looks. It's one thing in a goofy game like Enter the Gungeon. But if I'm walking around decked out and high level (and I was very decked out and very high level in Scholar of the First Sin) how fucking goofy do I look turning somersaults to evade an attack? They really nailed it with the hop-step in Bloodborne and then the step-dodge in Sekiro. I honestly have no desire to see a fully rendered 3d warrior turning somersaults every again. It looks SO FUCKING SILLY TO ME.

Bloodborne I did actually quit on a boss. Homie with the tentacle arms who disappears and reappears. It was just a very boring fight and I ran out of blood vials, didn't feel like farming more, never went back.

TLDR: Sekiro has relatively linear level design that makes it very very easy to figure out "where to go next". Combine this with a combat system that is basically guitar hero and I was in heaven. The character building and combat in Dark Souls is fun but the level design makes my head hurt and I get frustrated cause I walk in circles without making any progress.

BloodMoonRising
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:59 am 

Sekiro pretty much ruined Dark Souls for me. Yes, the combat is frustrating as hell until you get the hang of it, but then you feel like an absolute boss when you master it, whereas Dark Souls is basically just flailing and rolling around. Just feels clunky and slow going back.

As for Mortal Shell, from what little I played, I don't think I'll get much enjoyment out of it when it is released. Maybe I'm a filthy casul now but god damn that demo did not feel good at all. Way too dark and difficult to spend precious free time on.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:56 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:
OK, spoilers for TLOU2.

I’m not done yet, I’ve finally arrived at the part where you switch from Ellie to Abby. Yeah, tough sell after she unceremoniously kills Jesse. Even knowing it would happen, it’s a bit jarring. Still, she’s growing on me. Gameplay wise, I’ll never get tired of punching zombies (sorry, walkers, erm, I mean, “Infected”) to death with Abby, though. I love how the animations use the environment around, like if there’s a counter she’ll pound the infected’s head on the counter. It just looks spectacular and it feels good. What felt less good was killing Mel as Ellie. That was absolutely fucked up.

Yeah, I was perplexed at first when they switch things and make you like Abby but in the end everything works. The parts you play with Abby in the forest are incredible too.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:56 pm 

TLoU2 (major spoilers)
The switch to Abby is incredibly bold and daring, but the execution is near-impeccable, IMO. Sure, the "pet the dog" moments to make us empathize with her and her friends is a bit on the nose but hell, even that went over some dumb gamers' heads lol, and overall it's a minor complaint.

And the payoff for this split is also really awesome. The way you fight boss-Ellie as Abby, and then boss-Abby as Ellie at the very end, is just such an incredibly tense moment. I felt no one was safe and I feared the worst. They really nailed the pay-off.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:12 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
TLoU2 (major spoilers)
The switch to Abby is incredibly bold and daring, but the execution is near-impeccable, IMO. Sure, the "pet the dog" moments to make us empathize with her and her friends is a bit on the nose but hell, even that went over some dumb gamers' heads lol, and overall it's a minor complaint.

And the payoff for this split is also really awesome. The way you fight boss-Ellie as Abby, and then boss-Abby as Ellie at the very end, is just such an incredibly tense moment. I felt no one was safe and I feared the worst. They really nailed the pay-off.

Spoilers of the end of the game:

I couldn't have said it better, the execution was perfect. So many things could have gone wrong because they took a lot of major risks but in the end every piece fits and the story as a whole works really well. I couldn't help thinking "they are making me like Ellie, I'm being manipulated and it's not even subtle" but there was a point in the story I really didn't care any more. The moment I really really started liking Abby was this one:

The last fights as Ellie against the slavers felt very satisfactory too. I had lots of fun playing the ending. I loved that feeling when playing both bosses (Ellie VS Abby, Abby VS Ellie) that it could really go either way. It also surprised me that boss-Ellie was way harder.

The last scene was when she tries to play the guitar but she can't is really heartbreaking and even though it ended kind of in a good way (it could have ended way way worse) I really felt sorry for all the characters involved. The ending was just so beautiful. Revenge has costed them everything but as Joel said, thy would all just do it again.

The scene at the museum with Joel is also worth noting. That whole flashback is just incredible.

Curious_dead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:08 am 

Just out of curiosity, is Abby's part as long as Ellie? If so, I'm definitely not going to be able to finish before Ghost of Tsushima.

Fuck it, who needs sleep anyway?

CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:13 am 

Jonpo - It seems like you and I are at opposite ends of the spectrum with these games.

Granted, I have used a walkthrough a couple of times for level design, but I've always struggled endlessly more with bosses than level design.

Everyone talks about the rhythm thing with Sekiro and I guess I'm just completely oblivious, because nothing ever clicked for me with the game and I never felt like an "absolute boss" at any point playing it.

It really just feels like it was a great game for those who were able to understand the combat and was complete crap for people like me.

I do get what you're saying about the rolling in Dark Souls. Especially, when people dress up as a Dark Souls character at a convention and literally do the rolls.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 894, 895, 896, 897, 898, 899  Next