Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:19 am 

...I think I just fell in love a little.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:49 pm 

Leave it to From Software to use ray tracing to great effect, rather than just a "hey look, shiny reflections and lights!" gimmick.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:08 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
Leave it to From Software to use ray tracing to great effect, rather than just a "hey look, shiny reflections and lights!" gimmick.

That's Bluepoint. From was not involved.

Also, From have great artists, but shit tech lol

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:23 pm 

Oh wow, that makes it even more impressive then. Didn't realize Bluepoint went from being the remaster gods into remaking entire games. Good for them.

I agree with From having terrible tech for the most part, but Sekiro on the other hand is a technical marvel. It's not often you get the combination of eye-catching graphical effects, beautiful environments, small file size (16GBs), and super short loading times.

FasterDisaster
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:11 pm 

It's rarely worth buying a console in the launch window. Not only do the games take time to get there, but there's usually some important fixes that need to happen once the mass market gets ahold of it. I'll usually wait until the tail end of the first year or beginning of the second before I dive in.

I do think the tide is a bit different this time around, even the big stuff like Cyberpunk 2077 and the lesser-known Outriders looks insanely promising.

Curious_dead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:18 am 

Yeah, I'm not usually the type to get consoles on day 1 (only time I did was a Wii, which I was super lucky to get), but I'm really tempted. There's Demon Souls which I loved but never finished and always wanted to go back to and Cyberpunk which will undoubtedly be more fun to play on PS5 than 4 (I absolutely loved Witcher 3, but those loading times!). There's also Godfall as a launch window game that looks fine (basically looks like Destiny with swords, and I spent a lot of time with Destiny).

But that's of course only if I manage to get one.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:34 am 

https://bloody-disgusting.com/video-gam ... nEHa5U4NkM

Microsoft bought Bethesda’s parent company, meaning all their franchises are gonna become Xbox exclusives.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:00 am 

Subrick wrote:
https://bloody-disgusting.com/video-games/3632522/microsoft-acquires-bethesda-company-zenimax-gaining-exclusivity-fallout-doom-franchises/?fbclid=IwAR2_Z3jQS4yaWzvfKnJuOmx9F5Y1Mi2fUO9wDkCDUp0qoFwWrnEHa5U4NkM

Microsoft bought Bethesda’s parent company, meaning all their franchises are gonna become Xbox exclusives.

Legit insane news lol.

Good thing for me that most of those franchises have been played on PC...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:42 am 

Anyone who bought that Bundle For Racial Justice & Equality on itch.io don't sleep on the point and click short story called The Supper. It's about a 15 minute experience if you're smart, but it took me closer to 30 cause I'm a dummy. My first point-and-click game ever. I always wondered how anyone could enjoy them but I had an absolute blast the entire time so maybe I'm a double dummy. The Supper has killer pixel artwork, charming character design, and a surprising depth of story given the super short playtime.

Excited for Spelunky 2 even though I've never even made it to the first boss on the first one. That game is so fun, so cute, so hard.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:17 pm 

I'm playing Assassins Creed: Origin right now and I must confess I'm enjoying it and it's far better than I originally though. As much as I wanted to hate it (it's repetitive as fuck) the locations and the map are just so damn good. The story is ok and the combat system is pretty fun once you get it. It's not as good as Ghost of Tsushima and the stealth is a bit too easy but I'm playing on the insanity level of difficulty and while still not impossible to beat it adds a bit of thrill I didn't get from any of the previous AC games. It's easy to die if you're not careful. So far loving the Pharaohs Curse DLC.

The fact that the modern age story is pretty much non-existent is also good because one of the reasons I haven't played a single Assassins Creed game since the 3rd one was how boring and messy the story was. This game reinforces the idea that most Assassins Creed games could have been just labelled under a different saga name and they would have probably been better.

Is Odyssey as good as Origins?

I've also watched a Valhalla combat gameplay and it looks cooler than what I was expecting.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:56 pm 

Odyssey is an improvement on Origins in nearly every way. My only complaint is that it's just too goddamn big for its own good--probably the biggest non-proceedurally generated open-world outside of the Just Cause series.

l Lunaris l
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:05 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
I'm playing Assassins Creed: Origin right now and I must confess I'm enjoying it and it's far better than I originally though. As much as I wanted to hate it (it's repetitive as fuck) the locations and the map are just so damn good. The story is ok and the combat system is pretty fun once you get it. It's not as good as Ghost of Tsushima and the stealth is a bit too easy but I'm playing on the insanity level of difficulty and while still not impossible to beat it adds a bit of thrill I didn't get from any of the previous AC games. It's easy to die if you're not careful. So far loving the Pharaohs Curse DLC.

The fact that the modern age story is pretty much non-existent is also good because one of the reasons I haven't played a single Assassins Creed game since the 3rd one was how boring and messy the story was. This game reinforces the idea that most Assassins Creed games could have been just labelled under a different saga name and they would have probably been better.

Honestly the recent Assassin's Creed games have looked interesting and fun to me, specifically Origins and Odyssey. Too bad I don't have any hardware that can run them... I could stoop so low as to try using Stadia but I don't particularly feel inclined to invest in that.

I'm pretty used to looking at new or new-ish games longingly though, my PC is an old office computer and the only consoles I have are Nintendo systems; the most powerful thing I have is my Switch. So the list of games I'm able to play is pretty much just old games, indie games, and Nintendo games, and while I'm pretty satisfied with all that, sometimes I look at new releases and think about exactly what I'm missing out on.

I hadn't been playing much after the end of a long KOTOR obsession, but I've started getting into Xenoblade Chronicles 2 again. I had forgotten just how damn good it is, and I expect to be hooked on that for a long while.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:47 pm 

Odyssey is good, but way too bloated. Origins was, too, but Odyssey is beyond-mega-bloated. Both games should have been half, or even a third, of their lengths.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:03 am 

I've recently played Rogue and Unity for the first time and while I initially thought Rogue was a filler (which I think was Ubi's intention when it came out), Unity was hot garbage. I wanted to love it going in but man was it a missed opportunity. So much bloat, way too much emphasis on the online-ness and co-op, a piss-poor story, and it did everything to make me feel like I was playing a video game simulation as opposed to feeling immersed in the past. It was so bad I'm currently replaying the Ezio trilogy to remind myself of how good it used to be when they kept the fat trimmed.

After this I'll probably install Syndicate but my expectations are now super low. I couldn't give a shit about the modern day stuff anymore (haven't since 3's ending).
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:32 am 

Unity's story sucked but the murder mysteries were astonishing, they were like if The Witcher 3 actually knew how to do investigation quests. I liked Unity far more than the Constantinople one (the worst AC game to date), the interminable pirate one and the self-serious revolutionary war one.

I thought Origins and Odyssey were the best since the second. And I'd honestly say Syndicate was just right behind that, though the Jack the Ripper DLC sucked ass (as did the free Unity DLC, but at least it was free).

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:46 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
After this I'll probably install Syndicate but my expectations are now super low. I couldn't give a shit about the modern day stuff anymore (haven't since 3's ending).

I completely agree with this. I recently saw a video that summarized the modern day story and it was easy to follow up to AC3. AC3 to Origins, it was a fucking mess. It made zero sense and was super bad at moments. It's not like the previous modern day story was great (it was good when it was mysterious but it kept getting worse as the plot revealed) but at least it was easy to follow.

They peaked with the Ezio trilogy, those were the best games of the franchise story wise. Imho they should have ended it with Ezio. 3 wasn't terrible but USA Revolution/Pirates + parkour felt like two concepts that shouldn't really be together. The 4th one wasn't really interesting, Pirates aren't really my thing. Everything after 3 felt like it could have benefited by not being part of the franchise. For example, Origins is way better when it deals with the occult, magic, legends, Egyptian gods, etc. Having to mix this stuff with the bad sci-fi of the modern day story feels a bit weird. This games as stand alone epic tales of the past would have been more exciting but I guess marketing made them sell these games under the AC umbrella.

I also agree AC Origins is the best of the franchise I've played since the Ezio days. It was also a bit more oriented towards combat than it is to stealth which makes sense since they hadn't refined those arts in the story yet. Overall, I'm a bit hyped to play Adyssey now. I bought both games for like 18€ each so I'm really happy with how good they turned out to be compared to what thy costed.

Curious_dead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:02 am 

I preferred Origins over Odyssey. I played Origins a lot, did some of the DLC, and when I went to play Odyssey, I felt there was something missing. It was too big, for sure. Sometimes bigger isn't better. The game tries to do too many things at once: assassination, exploration, fantasy, but also nlarge-scale battles, naval battles, modern day story (nonsensical at this point), and so on. Also, maybe I had pink-tinted goggles but it seemed to me the graphics looked a bit cheaper than on Origins, maybe to accommodate the bigger scale. Finally, the RPG elements got more in the way in my experience. In Origins, I rarely, if ever, failed to assassinate someone "because they had too much HPs". It happened on a few elites above my paygrade. But in Odyssey it seemed it was much easier to stumble upon higher level enemies you couldn't straight out assassinate. Or for your hidden blade to fall behind, maybe?

I liked Syndicate. It has many of the AC series' flaws, but it also has many interesting concepts: playing as the twins, the first (AFAIK) RPG-lite elements, a great world, good side characters.

I also agree with Gravetemplar. The latest AC games after 2 could have been better without being tied to the series or an overarching story. 3 could have stood as a USA Revolution adventure game, 4 as a full pirate game, Odyssey and Origins as fantasy RPGs based on classical and Egyptian mythology.

On another note, I'm playing Mortal Shell and loving it so far. It strikes a good balance of "challenging but not cheap", it has a very interesting mechanic in the hardening, the look of the main character, his shells, the level up lady and some of the actual places is really cool, even if not technically impressive. The controls are responsive, the parry window is generous, as are the invulnerability frames (maybe even too generous, IMO). Good apetizer for Demon Souls. Probably my favorite Souls clone, unless we count Remnant, then it's my second favorite.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:20 am 

Yeah, I'm 14h into AC: Odyssey and I can see why a lot of people got hype by it. So far everything I've seen in the game was a major improvement over AC: Origins except maybe the combat at times (Origins felt heavier).

Odyssey is more varied, the story and overall all the conversations and characters are a huge step up, the world feels a lot more alive and engaging, etc. The world doesn't have the levels of "greatness" and "epicenes" the old Egyptian architecture in Origins had but everything is just so gorgeous and at 30fps I can run it at very high.

The new abilities are all great and actually useful. They nerfed the bow and even though I was originally pissed off it makes sense because in Origins I would just use the bow and easily clean every soldier with little effort in madness difficulty. Odyssey it forces you to use the spear of Leonidas which is probably the biggest accomplishment of the game. Using the assassin blade had gotten pretty repetitive and boring and the new spear abilities are actually pretty fun to use. The game is a lot more oriented towards stealth again and yes, there are some enemies at camps that can be hard to kill but I haven't find many that didn't die with the heavy assassination new ability. Assassination has become a lot more tactical and interesting and the camps and locations are a lot more fun.

What can I say about Kassandra? Bayek was great but Kassandra is even better and I love the new conversation options even though most of the time they are just for immersion and don't actually matter. Even the pacing and the rhythm of the game is better now, Origins was too fast but this one makes you actually slow at times and just admire the stuff around you. The secondary missions are better too, the conversations leading to them are actually well written and kind of interesting.

Never thought I'd say this but it's actually a very good game and as I said earlier, I enjoyed Origins too.

twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:28 pm 

I just bought an original Xbox for cheap. What are some games that I should play?

Curious_dead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:18 am 

Finished Mortal Shell. Short but sweet. There were a few cheaper enemies futher along the way, but generally I thought it struck a good balance.

Now I'm playing Hades on Switch. What a sweet game. Gorgeous, well-written, and very fun. It's a rogue-lite, you're trying to escape from the Underworld, and get blessings from the various Gods along the way. There are ton of upgrades, weapons, abilities and ways that they combine, making replaying through early parts of the game not a chore. And every time you die, people have new dialogues, NPCs come and go, and so on, so you never feel like you're stalling. Even the bosses' dialogue changes.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:25 am 

Just finished first playthrough of The Call of Cthulhu on Switch. Story was cool, what gameplay there was outside of the puzzle aspect was mostly cool (had to look up a walkthrough for The Shambler, jesus christ that part is ridiculous), overall I wish it was a bit longer as I put maybe 10-11 hours into it, but I would like to replay it with different choices. I was kinda annoyed that Cat seems like a pointless character except for when she gives you a key, and the ending I chose was hugely anticlimactic but I'm hoping the other ending is cooler. Overall A-, at least tone and story-wise I think they did the source material justice.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

l Lunaris l
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:29 am 

Curious_dead wrote:
Finished Mortal Shell. Short but sweet. There were a few cheaper enemies futher along the way, but generally I thought it struck a good balance.

Now I'm playing Hades on Switch. What a sweet game. Gorgeous, well-written, and very fun. It's a rogue-lite, you're trying to escape from the Underworld, and get blessings from the various Gods along the way. There are ton of upgrades, weapons, abilities and ways that they combine, making replaying through early parts of the game not a chore. And every time you die, people have new dialogues, NPCs come and go, and so on, so you never feel like you're stalling. Even the bosses' dialogue changes.

That sounds SUPER interesting. Depending on how much it costs I might pick it up.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:09 pm 

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:22 pm 

Yeah, Demon's Souls remake looks incredible. I won't be getting a PS5 at launch, but I already can't wait to play that game. Next-gen FromSoft looks like a thing of beauty.

I just beat a NG+ account of Blasphemous, including all the Stir of Dawn DLC content. Man, I really dug the game at launch but now with this massive update it went from an 8/10 to a 9.5+/10. This is now seriously one of the best Metroidvanias in recent years...maybe one of the best ever? There's just nothing to complain about anymore - the overhauled map is so much better than the original one, there's no more glitches during boss fights, the redone background textures in tons of areas makes the world even more beautiful, and most of all the new fast-travel system makes a full playthrough so much more goddamn smooth. And that's not even to mention the 5 new boss fights, one of which was easily my favourite in the whole game.

I really urge anyone who played the game at launch to dive back in, because this was really so, so rewarding. And if you haven't played the game but want to, now's the perfect time to get on board.

Elsewhere, I'm so fucking stoked that Ori and the Will O Wisps is now on Switch. That'll probably be my next game after I take a bit of a break.

Curious_dead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:29 am 

Apparently they are going to make some changes to the game (still speaking about Demon Souls here). There are going to be new items, at least. Sadly, some are for limited editions and preorders, which fucking sucks. But it gives me hope that they tuned some of the game's flaws; some bosses are quite far from a bonfire, which IMO is a dated design. Either the path leading to the boss is hard, and then it becomes frustrating, as you need to be careful; either it's easy, in which case it becomes useless padding; or it can be avoided by running all the time, which means it's also useless padding. That was my only gripe with DeS. Later games have usually much better shortcuts, with only a few enemies standing on your way.

If you haven't played DeS and you're reading this, don't let it stop you, it's still an amazing game, that's just my main issue with it.

RainyTheBusinessPerson
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:20 pm 

twistedknife wrote:
I just bought an original Xbox for cheap. What are some games that I should play?

Honestly, I just recommend going up to HG101's page of game reviews for that console (http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/microsoft-xbox/) and check reviews of whatever sounds interesting to you and maybe get those games. You could also mod it and put some homebrew on it, if you're interested in that type of stuff.
_____

Speaking of Xbox, I've been playing the Ori games (Ori and the Blind Forest, Ori and the Will of the Wisps) and Hollow Knight on my cousin's Xbox One S for the past few weeks, and I'm so glad I did, these are some of the best games I've played, same with Rayman Origins and Legends on my other cousin's Xbox 360. As much nostalgia I have for a lot of old games (since I only own old consoles), I can't deny that the modern age is more or less the golden age for 2D games, especially platformers, they are so intricate nowadays, it's really impressive. All of these games I've mentioned have such carefully crafted level design, beautiful visuals and amazing soundtrack, super fluid controls and a bunch of nice mechanics.

I especially like Hollow Knight's combat mechanics, they're really robust. Oh well... now I just wish I had a modern console and/or at least a good PC to play these games on my own. I love indie games and I wish could support them more often.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:47 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:
Apparently they are going to make some changes to the game (still speaking about Demon Souls here).

I only played a bit of Demons Souls on PS3 and tbh it felt like one of those b-grade soulslikes on Steam. I got too frustrated with the clunkiness (people complain about DS2's controls, but fuuuck me!), shit graphics, lack of bonfires, lack of healing items, etc. I'd played Bloodborne at the time, and not much of Demon's Souls appealed.

(yes I'm aware the fanbase would disagree lol)

I dunno how many changes they plan on making to this PS5 version, but I wouldn't mind seeing it get the BB/DS3 treatment controls-wise. At least get rid of the "air has the consistency of molasses" feeling when rolling around, that'd be nice.

CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:30 am 

Vampyr is free on PS4 right now, so I spent a lot of time on that last night.

I read reviews complaining about the combat, but I'm not expecting Dark Souls/Nioh, so it's fine with me.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:24 am 

Spelunky (1) finally got it's hooks in me. I got over the "frustration hump" and I'm a bit obsessed at this point. I want to develop my skills, especially learning how to whip arrow traps down and rob the shopkeeper with consistency.

My best run so far has been to the 3rd level of the Jungle, which I realize is pretty shit. I was thrilled to make it that far but I found myself with 1 health on a "torch level" and prioritized my boomerang over my torch. I love that you can only hold one item at a time. The decisions that you're forced into are rewarding, hilarious, frustrating by turns.

I can't afford Spelunky 2 yet so I figured I might as well git gud at the first one.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:28 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
Vampyr is free on PS4 right now, so I spent a lot of time on that last night.

I read reviews complaining about the combat, but I'm not expecting Dark Souls/Nioh, so it's fine with me.

That one is great, I enjoyed it a lot. The combat is fine, a bit repetitive but it's difficult without being overwhelming. Maybe a bit mechanic and repetitive but I enjoyed it.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:04 pm 

Vampyr had actually decent combat. It's not gonna be Bloodborne, obviously. But if you just play it like a hit-and-run style you'll be miserable. You have to use the skills correctly to exploit enemy weaknesses. I recommend a weapon that refills your blood meter quickly, so you can then unleash the power skills more often.

IIRC the issue on consoles with this game were performance and/or loading times. Which are gonna be frustrating, no doubt... I played on PC and it was fine, thankfully.

Great game overall, it's oozing with atmosphere, the writing and the VA is mostly solid (even if the ending sequence is a bit rushed), gameplay is really fun, and I enjoyed most of the the citizens' stories too.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Curious_dead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:51 am 

I read many reviews being harsh on the combat, but it's really enjoyable. A bit of jank, but it's not too bad, and the powers make the fights really fun. I also love the leveling-up mechanic, do you drink the blood of the citizens? Or not? I went halfway and drank the blood of more deplorable citizens or those who annoyed me, and left the rest alive (though I kept one area mostly intact).

I'm not playing Genshin Impact. It's like a mobile game grew up and developed a console-worthy gameplay, while retaining it's gacha mechanics.

One one hand, it's really fun. It's free, for starters, and it has some elements really inspired (lifted, actually) from BotW, but it's more akin to an action JRPG than a Zelda game. The game is beautiful, there are a lot of things to find in the wild, the story and voice acting are ok, the characters are fun.

I really wish this was a full-priced game. It's the game's biggest flaw. Imagine Final Fantasy, but to add characters in your party, you need to spend resources, and to get those resources, you need to grind them, or you need to spend money. And once you have enough resources, it's a random roll whether you get a new character or crap. It's infuriating because I'd gladly have paid full price for the game, and I'd probably have paid for the expansions (they plan to add 5 more regions).

So for now, I'm content with what I have, it's fun for now, but I'm not going to spend hundreds to get the characters.

Still, it's free and you get some resources early on that allowed me to get a few cool characters, so I already have 10 out of 24 characters.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:05 pm 

As somebody who has an actual gambling addiction and spent thousands of dollars on FFBE (only stopping because I was getting married and moving to a joint bank account and therefore wouldn't be able to hide it anymore), the thought of gachas coming to consoles is genuinely terrifying to me and the fact that Genshin Impact seems to be getting rave reviews is scaring the shit out of me.

Curious_dead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:26 pm 

Hopefully, since many countries are taking a stance against lootboxes and gacha games are basically just that, I doubt it's going to become the norm.

l Lunaris l
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:50 pm 

Free to play models, microtransactions, and gacha bullshit is pretty scary stuff, and it is certainly very frustrating how monetarily successful it all is, but I doubt it's going to be doom for the gaming industry or become the new norm. There's always going to be a large market of people that don't want to put up with all of that, and so there will be games made for that market of people. There's going to be developers who care about what they make and won't want to resort to gross money-making tactics.

Certainly a big problem though, and frustrating to be sure. Might not consume the whole industry but it is certainly becoming MORE normal.

Vadara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:49 pm 

Replaying a bunch of old mid-2000's racing games like Need for Speed Underground 2 recently has taught me something: I can endure shitty nu-metal way more when I'm driving a car fast. Or maybe I just have unironic nostalgia for that Skindred song in NFSU2? I dunno lol, but something about mid-2000's racing games with a bit of edge to them mixes well with dumbass nu-metal and -core of various kinds.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:19 pm 

Decided to give my brain & nerves a break from Europa Universals.

I thought 'oh, I'll reply Pillars of Eternity, I haven't done that for a bit' - decided to play in the most difficult manner possible of course - Trial of Iron / Expert / Path of the Damned. Usually play on 'Medium' and enjoy the story. So far ? I've just crawled back to the starting village, following completing one of the starting quests. Turns out archers are bastards when the difficult is above 'arcade' and you don't have shields.

Not sure this is going to be any better for me :lol:

Inkshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:19 am 

I'm looking forward to the new Amnesia game tomorrow. It's been five years since the last Frictional horror release, and while Soma's story was terrific and focused on a ton of existential stuff that makes me anxious, it didn't have the same nerve-wracking gameplay that Amnesia: The Dark Descent did. A Machine for Pigs was also a pale imitation of the original.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:35 am 

Getting into the new Doom Eternal DLC.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:40 am 

Vadara wrote:
Replaying a bunch of old mid-2000's racing games like Need for Speed Underground 2

I loved this game when it came out. I would like to reinstall it and play it again. I've seen footage of newer Need for Speed titles that look good, too - maybe I should give those a try.

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Getting into the new Doom Eternal DLC.

Yeah I started playing it today. Not even past the first level and I've died at least 50 times. I'm playing on nightmare so it's my own fault, but, like the regular campaign, it's already a hell of a lot of fun.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 899, 900, 901, 902, 903  Next