Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:21 pm 

CIMA wrote:
Also having the missus dress as Princess Leia or Lois Lane in everyday life is weird as well...not saying that the latter has happened, but cat ears, light saber, and cape have.

Totally.

I have to admit though one of my longtime goals that I've always stuck with and want to make a reality, would be getting my special lady friend in that slave Leia outfit. But, maybe that's a little different. :roll:

PsycholgclMishap wrote:
Any anime that deals with philosophy related topics?

A bit hard to say, like what types or anything exactly?

I think I'll just go ahead and recommend you Texhnolyze. It's something I've recommended a handful of people here and I have yet to hear any disappointments, most that actually finished it thanked me for the good rec afterwards. It's a really dark series with mature storytelling, in that it doesn't hold your hand or try to explain -everything-, especially with the ending which is probably one of the darkest ending's I've ever seen to anything. And it's pretty heavy on the violence/action at times. It's only 22 episodes too, so not too long or anything.

Ergo Proxy is pretty good too, going along with death_headj's rec. I prefer Texhnolze over it but yeah, if you want some dark, dysotopian type stuff, these two are really good.

death_headj
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:46 pm 

Xeogred, you certainly have some good taste in anime. I like what I've seen so far.

It's like an anime form of dark ambient. In my strange, strange mind, anyway.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:44 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
PsycholgclMishap wrote:

A bit hard to say, like what types or anything exactly?

I think I'll just go ahead and recommend you Texhnolyze. It's something I've recommended a handful of people here and I have yet to hear any disappointments, most that actually finished it thanked me for the good rec afterwards. It's a really dark series with mature storytelling, in that it doesn't hold your hand or try to explain -everything-, especially with the ending which is probably one of the darkest ending's I've ever seen to anything. And it's pretty heavy on the violence/action at times. It's only 22 episodes too, so not too long or anything.

Ergo Proxy is pretty good too, going along with death_headj's rec. I prefer Texhnolze over it but yeah, if you want some dark, dysotopian type stuff, these two are really good.

I've gotta contribute the 13-episode Now and Then, Here and There to this subject. The character designs are deceptively simple, but the story is intense and bleak aside from the first episode. Many moral issues are raised, and the last 3 episodes are powerful.

Just...stay far away from the English dub. I usually love dubs, but this show has a wretched one.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:57 am 

death_headj wrote:
Xeogred, you certainly have some good taste in anime. I like what I've seen so far.

It's like an anime form of dark ambient. In my strange, strange mind, anyway.

Heck, I've got one for you ... Casshern Sins? The atmosphere reminded me a lot of Ergo Proxy's at times, the visuals and everything (the "outside" of Ergo Proxy). The composer is really good so the music rocks. It's sometimes episodic and it is somewhat of an action, superhero type show (being a reboot of a 70's series, so yeah) but it's still really good with a heavy mood, despite what it may look like at first glance. Another one that doesn't shove the plot down your throat and it does have a lot of stuff to make you think about even after watching it. Lots of nice twists and an interesting focus on life and death. Last but not least, the show is pretty stylish and really unique in terms of art/animation. All in all, definitely one of the better newer shows I've seen compared to what else that's been released in the last 2-3 years, so this one is still pretty fresh.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:51 am 

I watched a few Ergo Proxy episodes and it was coma-inducing. :scratch:

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:29 am 

CIMA wrote:
-early Naruto: From the debut until after the tournament...really until after the Rock Lee vs. Gaora fight. At first Naruto was pretty unique and the fights had strategy to them (unlike DBZ's beat an enemy to a pulp and bomb them to hell with the largest, most unblockable ki blast known to man while in god mode)...then later in the series it became DBZ-like. Energy attacks began become more and more prominent and it lost its charm. The most destructive ninjas I've ever watched in anime. A perfect example of battle anime.
I liked early Naruto back when I first got into anime (when I was around 14 years old or so). The series was incredible, because it could sometimes annoy the hell out of you and then be the coolest thing ever the next second. Land of Waves story arc was amazing due to the realistic and involving storyline and the truly touching ending.

I'd probably hate it if I saw it now, but I'd recommend it for younger people who want to get into anime. I seriously hate when people judge all anime based on what that show has later become, though. It's complete garbage, and it's really, really popular.

CIMA wrote:
-Bleach: It follows the same battle anime theme of a spiky haired kid or guy with powers who is part of a team fighting enemies who are stronger than the previous--DESPITE--a mentor saying something along the lines of "This is the strongest enemy you will ever face". Plus there are the required explosions and mass destruction. Bleach gets the pass simply because Ikkaku Madarame (the bald Soul Reaper) is the shit.
The first anime I ever saw, and I instantly fell in love with it. Well, the decline of the quality became apparent over time, and the fights that used to be exciting (although predictable in outcome) were always more and more about who has the strongest energy blast godmode thing. Nowadays it's complete garbage, though not as terrible as Naruto.
Morrigan wrote:
Yes, it's extremely overrated. I seriously don't understand the praise.

Galaris
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:57 am 

CIMA wrote:
Galaris wrote:
There are two anime series that I've recently watched and will never forget.

Higurashi (don't worry, if you watch the anime you'll discover that there's any spoiler)

This series seems very interesting and I'm reading up on it now. I've never been a fan of mystery-anything, but that AMV really snagged me.

You won't repent if you watch it ^^ It's about mystery, mixing gore and some... 'fantasy', fiction sciences-better said-, and really, really surprising. Maybe you'll not understand the first chapters, no one does XD It clears up step by step, you'll see. Personally, I LOVE this anime.

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:50 pm 

PsycholgclMishap wrote:

Gantz, as I mentioned before. I'm sure many people would disagree with me. It contains mass amounts of gratuitous gore and nudity, and its basically an action series. Hell, the guns in the show seem to serve no other function but to make things die in the most violent way possible. However upon finishing it I couldn't help but feel like I had just watched an extremely nihilistic study on human nature, and man's coping mechanisms in impossible situations.

Haibane Renmei is another one that deals with philosophical subjects, particularly on the subject of death. I however was bored to tears by it, since next to nothing actually happens until the last few episodes. I didn't like it, but I've spoken to people that feel that this is one of those series that "transcends the realm of entertainment into the realm of art."

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:36 am 

Nice thread! I have been an anime fan since 2003 or so, after stumbling upon One Piece at random. Of course, though, I was into Pokémon when it was the thing during late 90s, not to mention Moomin ('tis an anime) which I watched from very early age. Having said this, I started watching anime 'properly' by watching shounen-series, like the aforementioned One Piece and the basic stuff like Naruto and Bleach later on.

I wasn't a huge fan until about early 2005ish when Ah! My Goddess started airing, which I randomly picked up. That show made me realize that anime is not just = shounen series, and I started looking out for more different anime, be it mecha, romance or pretty much anything else. There was no turning back afterwards.

And yeah, my taste is still very broad when it comes to anime - I can like stuff from any genre if it's done tastefully, somehow. I would have to say that my favourite series are mostly romance-series in a more serious tone, like ef - a tale of memories, with its awesome visuals, great drama and some psychological overtones, not to mention series like True Tears, which is a really artsy slab of drama, with a great atmosphere and intriguing cultural references. I guess I'm a sucker for beautiful romance series. I also really like some shoujo, like Karin and Fruits Basket.

But yeah, I do like lots of different kind of anime, so despite me liking 'serious' romance-series, I can also enjoy the more typical romantic comedy/ecchi/harem -series, like Shuffle!, for example. Also, I still watch (and read, as manga) several shounen anime series, like Gintama, Naruto etc.

I'm not the biggest fan of mecha or sci-fi series in general, though, it would seem, but Legend of the Galactic Heroes is up there in my definite top 3 series ever, for example, it being a sci-fi series. It's just simply awesome, no other words can be used to describe it, but 'epic'. As for mecha, I enjoy series like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, not to mention the Ghost in the Shell -installments and stuff like Full Metal Panic! (especially 'The Second Raid'). But on the other hand, series like Code Geass didn't do it for me, 'cause while being entertaining, I think that that series is kind of a 'whore series' in a sense, as it has so many elements thrown into it, so everyone should be pleased somehow. Personally, I think it reminded me of Death Note too much, but that's probably talked to death by now...

And yes, as for Death Note; I think that it's one of the few super popular series that actually live up to the hype, despite the unfortunate popularity backslashes. Though, what needs to be said is that I didn't really enjoy Death Note after ep 25, everyone who has watched the series should know why... (By the way, I was rooting for Light, and I found L extremely annoying, as important character as he is. Am I the only one hating on L?)

Finally, we have the infamous slice-of-life series, in which my taste is indeed delightfully random; I love stuff like the Aria-series (in smaller doses), but can't stand stuff like Lucky Star. It is probably the most boring, annoying and pretentious anime I have watched, ever. Sorry for any LS fans, but meh.

On the previous paragraph, I mentioned how I enjoy some slice-of-life in smaller doses, which leads me to the topic of anime watching habits: I'm the type of watcher who has trouble starting to watch anything, but when I'm one episode into the series, I usually can not stop. I have probably watched 95% of the 12-14 episode series on my list in one sitting, and probably over 70% of the 24-26 episode series in one sitting, as well. My longest marathon so far is 52 episodes of Gintama (when catching it up), as well as averaging 28 episodes a day for several days when marathoning some longass series. Basically, I can manage 10-15 episodes a day with ease, even if I had school and stuff to take care of, and 20+ episodes if I'm willing to carry on sleep deprived. Oh and on that note; we have gotten anime (to watch) and manga (to read) as homework several times, so taking care of school is not that hard at times. :lol:

To close the anime-related stuff of this post, I would like to mention that I am very grateful for fansubbing groups, as the level and quality of their works are often really astounding. I am a Japanese language major (or actually, a Japanology student to be exact), and watch many series as raw (as in w/o subtitles), so it's indeed nice to see that not many groups have much translating errors et cetera.

Finally, as for the -con events that OP mentioned: I've been to several, 12 if I count them. Actually, I just was to one yesterday and two days ago. Namely, Desucon. Finland has a niceish anime-scene (if that word can be used), so there are about 3 major cons a year and a few smaller ones a year, too. Desucon was so awesome, there were great discussion panels (eg. "Moe vs. GAR"), cool seiyuu guests, like the famous veteran-seiyuu, Tohru Furuya (roles in: Sailor Moon, Casshern Sins, Gundam -series etc. etc.) with whom I was drinking later on after the first con day. :lol: Great guy! I was not cosplaying this time around, but I have in the past. Still, the con was one of the best I've ever attended, and I also purchased a lot of authentic Japanese tankobou manga, bwhahah.

Ps. Oh and yeah, I mentioned the word 'list' a few times during this post; I was referring to MyAnimeList. Do any other MA-users have MAL-profiles? I personally think that sites like MAL or alternatives alike it are great for keeping up with the series you have watched/are watching.

Pps.
Messiah_X wrote:
There are some obsessed fans out there (otaku, weeaboos, japanophiles, etc.)

:violin:

CIMA
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:32 pm 

Deviante wrote:
Nice thread! I have been an anime fan since 2003 or so, after stumbling upon One Piece at random. Of course, though, I was into Pokémon when it was the thing during late 90s, not to mention Moomin ('tis an anime) which I watched from very early age. Having said this, I started watching anime 'properly' by watching shounen-series, like the aforementioned One Piece and the basic stuff like Naruto and Bleach later on.

I became a fan around 1995 when a friend showed me Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie and I began watching Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, Ronin Warriors, Eagle Riders, Tekka-Man, Megaman, and Samurai Pizza Cats (all amazingly aired on broadcast TV in the morning between 1995-1996).

Then Pokemon struck around 1998 or 1999 during my 8th grade year and it just blew up by the time I reached high school. Card battles at lunch, card battles before class, card battles in art class, on the bus, just...card battles. The series kind of lost me after the epic Pokemon League. Pikachu vs. Bellsprout was the best fight ever on the show (simply because Pikachu couldn't use his powers against Bellsprout). After that, it just got repetitive (like the games...only they were still fun).

Quote:
And yes, as for Death Note; I think that it's one of the few super popular series that actually live up to the hype, despite the unfortunate popularity backslashes. Though, what needs to be said is that I didn't really enjoy Death Note after ep 25, everyone who has watched the series should know why... (By the way, I was rooting for Light, and I found L extremely annoying, as important character as he is. Am I the only one hating on L?)

My Mom loved L. As a matter of fact, Death Note is her favorite anime after I held the remote hostage and it grew on her (along with Full Metal Alchemist and Blood+). I was actually rooting for Light at the end hoping he would escape. I found it odd that Cartoon Network would show a series in a similar vein as Death Note in its space after its run ended.

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:19 pm 

Deviante wrote:
Code Geass didn't do it for me, 'cause while being entertaining, I think that that series is kind of a 'whore series' in a sense, as it has so many elements thrown into it

I loved Code Geass for that very reason. It was complex and compelling enough to keep me on edge. I can see where you're coming from though. There are obvious similarities to other anime series (namely Death Note as you stated), and Lelouch channels so many archetypes throughout the series that his character becomes a tad ridiculous. I mean throughout the course of the series he goes from Hamlet (exiled vengeful prince) to Batman (masked vigilante) to Alexander the Great (strategic genius) to Macbeth (tragic hero corrupted by absolute power). All that without even mentioning his real spiritual counterpart Light Yagami. Anyways I only use this as an excuse to post my thoughts now that I have finished the series. Despite its faults and lack of originality at times, I found it to be one of the most well written stories I've seen in any medium.

Deviante wrote:

I agree with this completely. I was rooting for Light the whole time, and the cat and mouse game between Light and L was truly compelling. Near on the other hand at the end of the series was too "convenient" if you will. I found it very unbelievable the way he was seemingly able to piece everything together with no real clues or hard evidence to go on.

Oh, and as far as my point on otaku, I use the term sparingly. Anime fanboys and fangirls don't really bother me. I'm more annoyed by the 4chan style teenagers with their SUPER KAWAII-DESU!!!1 cat ears and OMG [insert random Bisho here] IS SOOO HOTT sentiments, who learned everything about Japanese culture from anime and Pocky and end up making a mockery of Japanese culture rather than a tribute to it.

Last edited by Messiah_X on Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LargeHadronCollider_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:26 pm 

Daathian wrote:

Hellsing Ultimate - Vampires fighting Undead Nazis...enough said.

If it wasn't for some stupid cartoony scenes (you know what I mean...characters freak out in stupid ways, make funny faces etc.) it would be the most epic, brutal and awesome anime ever.

PestilentHammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:19 pm 

I've always liked shows with guns, swords, and a good story or plot. I usually watch stuff like Afro Samurai (Justice is one evil bastard, killin Afro's dad like that.) Gungrave's "Mafia" arc and older darker stuff like Cowboy Bebop. Other than that I also watch Cromartie High School alot; aliens, a gorilla, a robot, and freddy mercury cant go too wrong with that.

death_headj
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:22 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Heck, I've got one for you ... Casshern Sins?

I saw the live action/CGI Casshern film...that was crazy stuff. I may have to look into this later.

Morrigan wrote:
I watched a few Ergo Proxy episodes and it was coma-inducing.

I don't understand how. But if you think that's bad, you haven't heard of Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto. That series requires lots of patience to get through.

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:28 pm 

PestilentHammer wrote:
I've always liked shows with guns, swords, and a good story or plot.

I would recommend Noir. Its about two female contract killers working for an organization. One is a seasoned professional and the other is a young girl with no memory but is an efficient killing machine. Its pretty good and stays well within the realms of reality instead of delving into ridiculous supernatural or sci-fi subplots. The only problem I had with it was an almost ridiculous lack of blood (gratuitous gore doesn't make an anime better, but seeing someone get shot 15 times without a drop of blood seems a bit off)

Gunslinger Girls is another pretty good one in the vein of the film The Professional. Its about an organization that uses young females as assassins.

Samurai Gun is a pretty decent series with kind of a crap ending. Hopefully it will be continued at some point. Its a kind of gritty "Japanese western" with an organization of gun-toting super samurai. I've heard comparisons to Tarantino on this one, although I don't really see it. Maybe its just me

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:25 pm 

Messiah_X wrote:
I would recommend Noir. Its about two female contract killers working for an organization. One is a seasoned professional and the other is a young girl with no memory but is an efficient killing machine. Its pretty good and stays well within the realms of reality instead of delving into ridiculous supernatural or sci-fi subplots. The only problem I had with it was an almost ridiculous lack of blood (gratuitous gore doesn't make an anime better, but seeing someone get shot 15 times without a drop of blood seems a bit off)

I've had this series for years now. The first half is kinda bogged down by filler episodes (one of which is awesome), but the second half gets the story moving at mach speed.

Also, some of the kill weapons are pretty original. You haven't lived until you see a guy get dispatched by his own shades.

CIMA
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:56 am 

Anyone remember the old Pulp magazine put out by Viz. I'd say it was published between 1999-2001 or something like that? Strain is the one series out of there that should've gotten an anime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strain_(manga)

Probably Dance Til Tomorrow, but that series was really straddling the fence between romance and hentai.

WompRat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:23 pm 

Xeogred wrote:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes, because it's better than Star Wars. And basically everything. Nothing will ever beat this show.

I will have to disagree with your statement. although that anime might be good, but nothing is better than Star Wars.

And my favorite anime is guyver. I first saw it when I was three, and I have loved it ever since. It's really good, but not as good as Star Wars.

i don't know you but you sound like a terrible person

GraveDanger
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:55 pm 

Gungrave: Beyond The Grave
- By far my fave, shows some of the most hardcore shit in a anime. Comming back to life and killing anything in sight, just plain kick-ass.

Akira
- Old times. 80's I think, one of those Cyberpunk anime movies, it's a must see, you are not an anime fan if you never heard of Akira nuff said.

Cowboy Bebop
- Ok. I'm a sucker for Jazz, this show had me at start to finish, it's a really cyberpunk-ish mellow feel. It's very striking at first glance and has tons of philosophical elements that are too hard to just type in words.

-Martha Stewart

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:08 pm 

WompRat wrote:
Xeogred wrote:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes, because it's better than Star Wars. And basically everything. Nothing will ever beat this show.

I will have to disagree with your statement. although that anime might be good, but nothing is better than Star Wars.

And my favorite anime is guyver. I first saw it when I was three, and I have loved it ever since. It's really good, but not as good as Star Wars.

So you're completely implying that you have not seen LOGH at all, then making that remark. Nice. :P

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:34 pm 

Does anyone happen to know the name of a series in which certain characters turn into monsters when they become hungry or horny?

I believe the first word in the title is "Kimono". I was once told this was a cool/brutal series, but I can't get any results from google.

ArchaicWiegraf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:08 am 

Hamtaro

Veddartha
Apocalyptic Destroyer of Angels

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:01 am 

Morrigan wrote:

I though that too first, but the thing improves in a great way over the episodes. I sugest you to give it another chance.

PoisonedAmbrosia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:41 am 

Alsandair wrote:
Does anyone happen to know the name of a series in which certain characters turn into monsters when they become hungry or horny?

I believe the first word in the title is "Kimono". I was once told this was a cool/brutal series, but I can't get any results from google.
:shock:
That's quite an interesting concept but naw, never heard of it. I've tried googling it with the word "anime" next to it but so far nothing.

CIMA
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:56 am 

GraveDanger wrote:
Akira
- Old times. 80's I think, one of those Cyberpunk anime movies, it's a must see, you are not an anime fan if you never heard of Akira nuff said.

I'm gonna have to agree with this statement.

Also, Japan just finished the life size Gundam for the 30th anniversary.

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/4723 ... 078610.jpg

PestilentHammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:11 pm 

CIMA wrote:
GraveDanger wrote:
Akira

I've heard of that statue and heard it was expensive as hell, something about using alot metal and concrete...I think I'm wrong though.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:28 pm 

PestilentHammer wrote:
CIMA wrote:
GraveDanger wrote:
Akira

I've heard of that statue and heard it was expensive as hell, something about using alot metal and concrete...I think I'm wrong though.

It IS Japan we're talking though.

kampfplatz666
Sturmbannführer Borat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:43 pm 

I just passed here to made justice and mention Wolf's Rain.
It's a great anime for me and the last episodes concerning some kind of the end of the world are great, and exactly as I previously imagined all my life.
I heard, however, that this anime is kind of underrated. But for me it's one of the few that I know that if a catch an episode in 30 years, I probably stay and watch it...

Another, probably already mentioned since its considered a classic, is Evangelion. Certainly this anime has it's very great moments...

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:48 pm 

ArchaicWiegraf wrote:
Hamtaro

I ought to slit your throat for mentioning that, but I'm feeling like Steve Buscemi with a briefcase full of diamonds today.

I already bookmarked this thread since there are tons of good recommendations. Thankfully I have a mildly free summer, so I can catch up on all these shows.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:41 pm 

kampfplatz666 wrote:
I just passed here to made justice and mention Wolf's Rain.
It's a great anime for me and the last episodes concerning some kind of the end of the world are great, and exactly as I previously imagined all my life.
I heard, however, that this anime is kind of underrated. But for me it's one of the few that I know that if a catch an episode in 30 years, I probably stay and watch it...

Another, probably already mentioned since its considered a classic, is Evangelion. Certainly this anime has it's very great moments...

I love what I've seen of Wolf's Rain thus far, but I haven't finished it yet.

You won't find much Evangelion love on this board hahaha, but I agree that it has some great moments. I particularly enjoy the movie End of Evangelion for its unique apocalyptic imagery. However it is a very overrated series with gaping plot holes if you watch it all the way through.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:04 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
ArchaicWiegraf wrote:
Hamtaro

I ought to slit your throat for mentioning that, but I'm feeling like Steve Buscemi with a briefcase full of diamonds today.

I already bookmarked this thread since there are tons of good recommendations. Thankfully I have a mildly free summer, so I can catch up on all these shows.

Gotten around to LOGH at all yet? ;)

And while going back through the thread just to check you were one of the few interested in looking into LOGH, I saw your comment about Darker Than Black ... yeah, I can't really reccomend that one. It was really episodic and just overall pretty generic in my opinion, not too satisfying in the end, etc. I guess a second season was announced just recently, but I'll probably pass on it.

It's got amazing production and visuals, but that's about it. It's also one of the newer anime's RIDDLED with ads like Pizza Hut and shit.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:10 pm 

I will check it out, but first I need to fix my hard drive space / memory issue. Apparently after having two 320 Gig external hard drives, I'm finding that I'm running out of space on those two. Coupled with the fact that I have +50 gigs of music on the computer hard drive, and this thing is starting to slack pretty badly.

Oh, and to make matters worse my comcast internet "high speed" is now as fast as DSL was for me 5 years ago.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:28 pm 

I enjoyed Darker than BLACK a lot. It was episodic, yes, but it still had a plotline, somewhat. The mini-arcs had me interested throughout the duration, save for a few less interesting eps. (Which were good, too, but not on par with other eps). The concept of contractors and their obeisances was kind of cool, in my opinion. There were some cool characters, as well as some clichéish characters, but the anime was presented well, even if the character developement was minimal regardless.

It is the type of anime that shouldn't be over-analyzed, but just to be enjoyed as it is presented. (Though I can understand if some just don't find it that good). The initial setting seemed somewhat incomplete, with many "what is this..?" -questions left to be asked, especially during the first 8-10 episodes, but like I said; one should not over-analyze things, and just enjoy following the missions of Hei and his organization. The visuals were top-notch, the action-scenes were entertaining, the dialogue didn't bore me either and the occasional jazzy BGM fit the mood well, too. So meh, I don't know what's there left to be desired.

Though I will admit that the ending was pretty much lame (not sucky, but uninteresting), not to mention the blatant Pizza Hut advertisement. Other than that, I enjoyed the series. Luckily, they are producing another season soon.

ArchaicWiegraf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:52 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
ArchaicWiegraf wrote:
Hamtaro

LOL :D finally someone protests. I'm just joking. Hamtaro is pure bullfuck. It's in the same league as Pokemon and the likes. "Anime" for idiots. I appreciate higher things than that.

Saint Seiya
G Force
Akira
Rurouni Kenshin (duh!)
Code Geass
Kikaider
Blood
Trigun
Fullmetal Alchemist
Ninja Scroll
Cowboy Bebop
Big O
Outlaw Star
Wolf's Rain
Death Note

Just to name a few.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:05 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
I will check it out, but first I need to fix my hard drive space / memory issue. Apparently after having two 320 Gig external hard drives, I'm finding that I'm running out of space on those two. Coupled with the fact that I have +50 gigs of music on the computer hard drive, and this thing is starting to slack pretty badly.

Oh, and to make matters worse my comcast internet "high speed" is now as fast as DSL was for me 5 years ago.

Hmm, luckily externals are getting really cheap. You can probably easily find a 1TB external HD now for $150 or less. I'd recommend WD ... just randomly since I've had 3 externals from them that work pretty well.

Kind of bad I treat old HD's like old computer parts and just kind of toss them away, lol. I have an old 160HD and 250 one I rarely use now since my main ones are the TB one and a 500 one, I'll probably get another TB one to replace that soon. Pointless info. :lol:

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:52 pm 

Bleach started getting really good again. it's been about a year since i last was paying attention and actually watching the series. i wonder what Naruto is up to. i used to read the latest manga releases online and watch the newest subtitled episodes of Naruto: Shippuuden, but i haven't since last year. i bet the series has already ended by now. good animes, i just got out of watching/reading them for a long while. i started watching Ghost in the Shell, Death Note, Cowboy Bebop again on adult swim

Thorium
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:54 am 

Fist of the North Star

- Manliest anime ever, all the characters are manly. No tears are shed, only manly water excretions. Takes place somewhere on earth (japan?) when the world gets absolutely nuked to death. All the water is evaporated and half of the population is dying from radiation sickness. The only water left is underground pockets of water, brought up by wells. Whoever controls wells has power and it seems the thugs of the world has taken over the weak. Only the manliest survive

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

- Nazi's, Zombies, Stopping time, and men in revealing tight clothing.

'nuff said

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:05 pm 

Kind of off-topic, but theres no reason to start another thread about it. Is anyone from MA going to Anime Expo in Los Angeles this year? I just found out that Moi Dix Mois (gothic visual kei metal band for the unfamiliar) is playing this year, I think its only their second concert outside of Japan!

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:30 pm 

I am making my way through the original "Kite" anime. For a quick preface it's about a young girl who is trained as a highly skilled assassin. I have been told that it contains numerous, extremely brutal and graphic rape scenes, which make me hesitant and a little bit nervous to watch it.

So far, I've gotten through the first scene where explosive ammunition exploded some bad guys' stomach and then his skull. This certainly doesn't hold back on the graphic and bloody violence. I'll post an update later when I finish the film.

Quick note: I also plan on going through "Kite Liberator" shortly after this one, and then moving onto "Mezzio".

EDIT: Well, t'was about 50 minutes long. I didn't expect it to be so short but when I read why it was, it made sense.

Even though this anime may seem very stark and lifeless on the outside, there happens to be so much character, attitude, and emotion put in by all of the characters, and the music and voice acting is so breathtakingly beautiful that I can't possibly find much wrong with this.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:56 am 

actually, Mezzo Forte comes after Kite, and before Mezzio (which is way tamer) and Kite Liberator (still haven't seen this one myself). Mezzo Forte has epic DP, :lol:

So yeah, might want to watch that first. There's an edited version without that stuff of course though.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next