Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:01 am 

Cowboy Bebop slays me. Great show. I picked up the entire series, remixed and remastered, for ten dollars. I had never seen it before, but it is definitely worth the purchase. I'm glad that I decided to give it a shot.

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:01 am 

fatrat600284 wrote:
TheJizzHammer wrote:
I agree with the people who said Gantz, but I won't lie, it's for the violence. The action and gore is awesome, and the main reason I kept watching was to see who dies next, and how. Despite this, I was still upset by the bogus ending.

I know what your saying it's one of these shows that sucks you in to the story i felt sorry for some of the characters when they died. And how they died was always fucked up but i did not like the ending there where just to many unanswered questions.

I can see how the ending could be disappointing. I think the manga takes it further, but I haven't read it.

I usually hate open endings, however I found that the ending in this case suited the atmosphere perfectly, kind of like the "wtf did I just watch?" ending of American Psycho.

FasterDisaster wrote:
I suggest everybody goes out and watches Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade. It's incredibly dark, haunting and interesting, and I've never seen anything so amazing before.

I'll second this recommendation. One of my favorite anime films with a very totalitarian/militant feel to it. I'll also second the recommendations for Akira, Cowboy Bebop, etc. but I'd assume most people have seen or at least heard of those.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:23 am 

I second the man who mentioned Ideon. This series is epic, tragic, somber and dark as hell. Check it out if you want another approach to a mecha series.

levanah
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:57 am 

I remember watching Gundam Wing religiously on TV growing up (I was about 15? I think).... I have Endless Waltz floating around my apartment somewhere on a DVD from YEARS ago...

I've seen so much anime over the 10+ years I've been into it... last anime I remotely cared about was Naruto. (Fail, I know.) And I got sick of that. Haven't kept up with any of it since.... 2007. :(

On the upside... I think.... got me into drawing and artsy stuff.

Blood_Red87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:28 pm 

I love Anime, it's nice to see other metalheads are into it as well. :)

I'm pretty much into all of the series' mentioned the most; Cowboy Bebop Inuyasha, Code Geass, Full Metal Alchemist, Trigun, Death, Note, Blood +, Trinity Blood, all great character development, storylines and plots.

Though I am surprised these haven't been mentioned yet:

Bleach (supernatural samurai like warriors who slay evil spirits called hollows)

Eureka 7 (a love story wrapped around mecha fighting with racial/religious conflicts, ending with a fight to save the world)

Samurai Champloo (If you're a Cowboy Bebop fan, there's no reason not to love this series).

Now why do I like Anime????? I guess it's the inner child in me that still loves his animated TV shows clashing with my adult self yearning for a deep, interesting story with over the top violence and sex. :p

Also, someone mentioned something about dubs and I'm just going to put this out; I actually enjoy English over Japanese. Yes, that sounds blasphemous, but I'd prefer to watch and enjoy anime than read lines of text for 20 min. increments, thankyouverymuch. :D

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:56 pm 

Blood_Red87 wrote:
Also, someone mentioned something about dubs and I'm just going to put this out; I actually enjoy English over Japanese. Yes, that sounds blasphemous, but I'd prefer to watch and enjoy anime than read lines of text for 20 min. increments, thankyouverymuch. :D

Dubs have gotten MUCH better in recent years, and there are times when I think the dub is superior to the original voice cast. For example, I think that the English voice actor for Ryuk (Death Note) capture's the character's essence better than the original Japanese voice actor. Also I find that Goldenboy is a lot more hilarious in English.

I do have a few problems with the dubs, but like anything else, they are all nitpicky things, so enjoy it however you want! My main problem is inconsistency, especially with Japanese words. They tend to get a mix of actors who understand Japanese phonetics and actors who don't. Sometimes its not noticeable, but sometimes it is annoying when 2 characters pronounce another character's name differently. The biggest problem is stressing of syllables. Japanese language rarely has any emphasis on any syllables and words are spoken in more of a monotone. Hi-ro-shi-ma (correct) VS. Hi-RO-shi-MA (incorrect)

The other problem is all that stuff that gets lost in translation. Sometimes subtitles translate this better. The best way to enjoy anime would be to understand Japanese fluently, but anyone who learns Japanese solely for anime needs to get their shit straightened out :lol:

Oh, and to all the sub purists who "only want to watch Japanese art in its original form" or whatever other pretentious drivel you want to call it :finger:

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:03 pm 

Elfen Lied is greatly overrated. In fact it's complete rubbish. It merely looks nice, but the content is absolute rubbish and deserves no mention. Does really it have any content aside from pointless violence and fan service?

Bleach was a fairly decent shounen series up to a certain point. As of now, it's hardly better than recent Naruto, which is saying something.

I was also disappointed with Shigurui, which I thought to be an artistic sort of anime series with realistic depiction of 17th century samurais. It's an extremely graphic, violent and, at times, seriously sick series with strange symbolism that is sometimes our of place. It's not a bad series, but I was expecting something different.

Cowboy Bepop is also overrated. Hardly worth more than classics like Hellsing, or more recent excellent ones like Darker Than Black. Enjoyable series with a great concept which could've been used for more material and with greater success, nonetheless.

Don't watch Gantz.

I second Black Lagoon. Out of the western styled action anime series, it's one of the best.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:10 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I second Black Lagoon. Out of the western styled action anime series, it's one of the best.

Finally someone sensible. Then again, i am a fan of Cowboy Bepop, Samurai Champloo, and I was introduced to Gantz in AIT training by another soldier - I thought it was bizarre but interesting enough.
Ilwhyan wrote:
or more recent excellent ones like Darker Than Black. Enjoyable series with a great concept which could've been used for more

I saw this when I bought my Black Lagoon set - looks interesting as hell but I don't know if I really would enjoy it - based on looking at the drawing alone.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:43 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Cowboy Bepop is also overrated. Hardly worth more than classics like Hellsing

Cowboy Bebop, being arguably the best anime series, can hardly be "overrated". It's certainly leagues ahead of content-free, plot-free, character development-free tripe like Hellsing.

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:01 pm 

The only anime I've really liked was Ninja Scroll and Ninja Resurrection. I was kind of disappointed to learn that the latter movie wasn't a sequel to Ninja Scroll, but rather a completely different movie. Nonetheless, it was still an an extremely good movie. Tons of gore and a very dark storyline...which is the kind of anime I prefer. I can't stand the kind of anime that has those really tacky, cheesy cartoonish qualities such as the characters' mouths and eyes blown to wide proportions whenever they try to express rage, distress, sadness, etc....you get the idea. I like the serious anime with none of that cheesy shit...although I will admit I do enjoy Fullmetal Alchemist (the one exception). If anyone can recommend any anime that falls into the above description, I'd greatly appreciate it.

AleXTreme
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:48 pm 

what tha... no one has mention Rurouni Kenshin aka Samurai X... damn what a great show, samurai blades, a lot of blood and nice history

This is the only anime that i really love and... well, maybe Saint Seiya but it's getting boring at some parts because all focuses on Seiya... fuck what anoying is that!!

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:26 pm 

Zdan wrote:
I second the man who mentioned Ideon. This series is epic, tragic, somber and dark as hell. Check it out if you want another approach to a mecha series.

Holy pickles! First we share a love for USPM ... now maybe 80's/mecha anime!? What else do you like Zdan? Are you a Tomino-fan like myself!? Heh. Figured nobody would have a clue with what I was talking about, especially Ideon of all things.

Outside of Tomino I'd have to say Ryosuke Takahashi is where it's definitely at. His stuff is generally pretty serious and he has more than a few shows that take the mecha genre pretty seriously, and realistically (like Votoms, or FLAG. Which I need to check out). Two of his other older shows Dougram and Blue Comet SPT Layzner are both currently being subbed and I can easily see both becoming top favorites for me. Dougram is like a more mature Mobile Suit Gundam (as in comparison to the original 79' series), and Layzner is just fucking intense. It got cut short due to supposedly being too dark/depressing and from what I hear, Takahashi littered it with parallels to Japan's history during WW2 ... and we all know how Japan is about their history. A bold director I'd say. Some of his newer works are Blue Gender and Gasaraki, I need to check those out too.

When it comes to Tomino .. I would have to say Zeta, Ideon, and Turn A are my favorites from him. I imagine L-Gaim is pretty fucking awesome too, just waiting for a real translation on that one too.

80's OP's are where it's at.

Quote:
Elfen Lied is greatly overrated. In fact it's complete rubbish. It merely looks nice, but the content is absolute rubbish and deserves no mention. Does really it have any content aside from pointless violence and fan service?

Yeah, probably my least favorite series next to Evangelion.

Elfen Lied isn't even that violent. If people seriously just want something violent as shit, watch Genocyber. Lawled, now that's hilariously gory.

Ilwhyan wrote:
I was also disappointed with Shigurui, which I thought to be an artistic sort of anime series with realistic depiction of 17th century samurais. It's an extremely graphic, violent and, at times, seriously sick series with strange symbolism that is sometimes our of place. It's not a bad series, but I was expecting something different.

Cowboy Bepop is also overrated. Hardly worth more than classics like Hellsing, or more recent excellent ones like Darker Than Black. Enjoyable series with a great concept which could've been used for more material and with greater success, nonetheless.

Hmm, maybe I'll pass on Shigurui. It looked interesting but when I watched the first episode I didn't really care for it.

Not a Bebop fan at all, but I wasn't too big on Darker than Black too. I think my favorite parts of that series was when the show just didn't take itself seriously at all (like with pink girl and that other guy... it's been awhile, the goofy duo). Episodic is a hit or miss for me I guess. I'm usually not a fan, but I'm currently enjoying City Hunter so who knows.

I do believe it's official by now they're making a third season of Black Lagoon. Fun stuff, definitely gonna check it out.

I would say the best horror I've seen so far would easily be Boogiepop Phantom. If you guys want a good mindfuck, I'd highly recommend that one. It's funny because I couldn't find downloads for that one in high quality, but as some people told me that actually kind of gives it some charm and that was pretty true.

SuperVeji4
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:01 pm 

Blood_Red87 wrote:
Samurai Champloo (If you're a Cowboy Bebop fan, there's no reason not to love this series).

Good show but the ending was a bit lame. And Mugen surviving was full of shit. He had his stomach cut open, he was shot at, and he was blown up, yet he still survived with all his limbs, organs, and flesh intact. Everytime I think about it, I always think the creators were mocking the fans (like me for example) who disliked the ending to Cowboy Bebop. But yes, Samurai Champloo is very good.

Blood_Red87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:06 pm 

Messiah_X wrote:
Blood_Red87 wrote:

Dubs have gotten MUCH better in recent years, and there are times when I think the dub is superior to the original voice cast. For example, I think that the English voice actor for Ryuk (Death Note) capture's the character's essence better than the original Japanese voice actor. Also I find that Goldenboy is a lot more hilarious in English.

I do have a few problems with the dubs, but like anything else, they are all nitpicky things, so enjoy it however you want! My main problem is inconsistency, especially with Japanese words. They tend to get a mix of actors who understand Japanese phonetics and actors who don't. Sometimes its not noticeable, but sometimes it is annoying when 2 characters pronounce another character's name differently. The biggest problem is stressing of syllables. Japanese language rarely has any emphasis on any syllables and words are spoken in more of a monotone. Hi-ro-shi-ma (correct) VS. Hi-RO-shi-MA (incorrect)

The other problem is all that stuff that gets lost in translation. Sometimes subtitles translate this better. The best way to enjoy anime would be to understand Japanese fluently, but anyone who learns Japanese solely for anime needs to get their shit straightened out :lol:

Oh, and to all the sub purists who "only want to watch Japanese art in its original form" or whatever other pretentious drivel you want to call it :finger:

Very true, english dubs are getting better with anime. But there's times when the voice actors just mispronounce names/terms of characters, places and things, even though they where correct beforehand. Definitely something that the V/O director should pay attention to but most of the time it doesn't happen too often and not therefore not damaging to the moment of the show.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:50 pm 

http://www.amazon.com/Fist-North-Star-W ... 126&sr=8-1

It seems the original Fist Of The North Star movie is being released with in the U.S. with original Japanese tracking? Unless it has redone english dubbing, updated audio/video/effects, I don't care. If this doesn't have these things, then this is a serious missed opportunity.

Blacklinkz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:00 am 

I used to be really into anime a few years ago. not so much now. However, there are some series I'll allways enjoy, those being:

Rouroni Kenshin: My all-time fevorite anime (and manga). The plot-line was great, IMO, though it was based on an exaggerated version of Japanesse history. The best of it were the OVA's, period.

Vampire Hunter D - Bloodlust: This movie was just perfect. Plot-line, characters, artwork, atmosphere, everything. As someone else already stated, all anime and vampire films should be done like this.

NGEvangelion: Yeah, I know, overrated, lacking depth and overly teen-depressing. However, I love giant robots and stuff, and this ones were just badass.

Trigun: The perfect mix of action, drama and comedy. Vash the Stampede was just a high-skilled jack-off, but a very fun one. Also, Wolfwood is one of the best anime-characters I've seen.

Hellsing: I really don't know what exactly is so amussing about this series. I just like them. Alucard is just an awesomely sick guy.

http://intothepandemoniumes.blogspot.com Blog with reviews, articles and other nerdy stuff. Spanish only :/

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:36 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
Cowboy Bepop is also overrated. Hardly worth more than classics like Hellsing

Cowboy Bebop, being arguably the best anime series, can hardly be "overrated". It's certainly leagues ahead of content-free, plot-free, character development-free tripe like Hellsing.
Sorry, I forgot that your opinion is more valid than mine. ;)

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:16 am 

Xeogred: Heh. Yep I like lots of things really and 80's mecha/anime are one of them. I am definitely a Tomino-man - especially when it comes to Ideon. Ideon is probably the darkest, most gritty and in the end apocalyptic mecha movies that I have ever seen. There is no fancy transformations, pointless dribble for the sake of pointless dribble etc. I also love the more humorous Xabungle series he did and Aura Battler Dunbine - that one has a unique flavour.

Although I also worship Tadao Nagahama - especially for this Daimos series which had semi-realistic fighting and a actual plotline that made sense, was full of twists and turns and went somewhere. Plus - karate-using robots FTW!

LargeHadronCollider_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:36 pm 

about dubs: sometimes they may be good, but for example One Piece was horrendously butchered by the dubbers, they sound retarded. the character voices are way better in the jap show. they also cut out all the cursing, and I love when they curse.

demonic_slaughter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:15 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Fist-North-Star-Wally-Burr/dp/B001SGEUC4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1242964126&sr=8-1

It seems the original Fist Of The North Star movie is being released with in the U.S. with original Japanese tracking? Unless it has redone english dubbing, updated audio/video/effects, I don't care. If this doesn't have these things, then this is a serious missed opportunity.

your the only other guy that has mentioned fist of the north star

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:17 pm 

Anyone seen Fist of the North Star? I don't know if that is considered anime or manga.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:23 pm 

Yeah I've heard of Fist of the North Star but never really saw an episode.

Hey, how do you guys take dubbing? Personally I fucking hate it. I prefer japanese with english subtitles MUCH, MUCH more than the retarded english dubs. Most of the time they jack it up with the chessy, "reading-off-a-piece-of-paper" type dialogue - no soul, no energy, nothing.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

LargeHadronCollider_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:39 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSFZf_xOtmk OMG KEWL is all I have to say

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:00 pm 

Zdan wrote:
Xeogred: Heh. Yep I like lots of things really and 80's mecha/anime are one of them. I am definitely a Tomino-man - especially when it comes to Ideon. Ideon is probably the darkest, most gritty and in the end apocalyptic mecha movies that I have ever seen. There is no fancy transformations, pointless dribble for the sake of pointless dribble etc. I also love the more humorous Xabungle series he did and Aura Battler Dunbine - that one has a unique flavour.

Although I also worship Tadao Nagahama - especially for this Daimos series which had semi-realistic fighting and a actual plotline that made sense, was full of twists and turns and went somewhere. Plus - karate-using robots FTW!

Haha, that's epic man. Nice to know there's a fan of this stuff around here. I hate to sound like an everything-80's fanboy, but seriously there was some great anime back then, especially within mecha when it was generally darker, more mature, took itself seriously, etc. I also prefer character designs from the 80's compared to what we get today, they just looked more human and more their age back then.

I am currently watching Xabungle which is getting subbed again and that has me wondering, do you speak Japanese or have you been lucky with Italian dubs? Since I know they actually have a lot of older and obscure shows the US never got or whatnot. The show itself is pretty awesome, it reminds me of Mad Max for some reason ... but on crack or something. It's kind of similar to Dougram too actually, but Dougram is far more serious.

Daimos ... heh, now that's old school, getting into the 70's I believe. I'm also watching Daitarn 3 and Zambot right now which are more that era... once I finish those and a few more shows I'll have everything-Tomino covered! lol, I'm even wanting to watch Brain Powered, which I hear is pretty fucking terrible, but whatever. With anime your best bet is to always see stuff for yourself.

OzzyApu wrote:
Hey, how do you guys take dubbing? Personally I fucking hate it. I prefer japanese with english subtitles MUCH, MUCH more than the retarded english dubs. Most of the time they jack it up with the chessy, "reading-off-a-piece-of-paper" type dialogue - no soul, no energy, nothing.

I'll be completely serious here and say that, Dragonball Z has probably one of the best dubs out there. It was over the top, goofy as hell at times, but it had character. Something that greatly lacks in a lot of dubs. So, what's that say?...

Yeah 99% of the time I'd rather watch subs. Sometimes I won't even download or be interested in a show if I can only find it dubbed only. And another major factor is that, half the stuff I want to watch sometimes hasn't even been localized (and is so old chances of it happening are probably next to nothing), so subs are the only way to watch it.

Another funny thing here is that often, fansubs are better than official localized subs you get with DVD's. Especially with some older shows, I absolutely cannot stand that horrible slim yellow font they use so often in US releases. I'm not sure if that's still the case with newer releases, but yeah. It's definitely not weird to see fansubs for a series that look and are even better translated than official US-DVD releases.

Zdan ... OzzyApu ... watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes! :nods:

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:12 pm 

For those who haven't seen anything Fist Of The North Star, check THIS for some insanely intense and amazing head-exploding action.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:46 pm 

Genocyber is still worse I'd say, lol. Especially because it has some random flashes of real gore/surgeries or just some weird fucked up shit like that at times.

FasterDisaster: If you want a good droogy, moody, slower paced action series I'd recommend Casshern Sins. Just finished last season and it was really impressive. Been awhile since I watched a good tragic show like it. The style is also really really cool, in my opinion. Very indifferent and pretty old school at times. It's just downright gorgeous to watch for the visuals alone at times.

Setting is pretty comparable to stuff like Ergo Proxy, Texhnolyze, etc. Definitely might be something you'd enjoy. The composer is excellent too.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:56 pm 

Legend of the Galactic Heroes... huh? Sounds awesome, and I think I might have missed this when I was a big cartoon network fan.

"interstellar war with the Free Planets Alliance, a conflict that involves thousands of spaceships and millions of soldiers on both sides."

Fuck yeah

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:57 pm 

It's massive, like 50 main characters. Numbers in the series such as casualties and everything are downright crazy.
(okay seriously! There's two really, one on each side of the conflict. But the cast is huge and you'll probably end up loving ~50 characters).

A bit daunting perhaps since it's 110 episodes, but by the time you get around to finishing it, you won't want it to end! It's "loosely" broken up into four seasons, the only changes really is that 1) with every season you can see the art and animation improves and 2) different OP/ED's.

But yeah, if you want a huge space drama with every kind of genre thrown in, incredible directing/writing (comparable to stuff like Monster. It's a series that isn't going to hold your hand, or try to explain every single thing, takes itself seriously and is mature, not overdramatic, etc)... I guess another big comparison to something like Monster is the character designs, people simply look like people. Good stuff.

I can't say anything on this myself, but people tend to compare it to Western sci-fi shows like Battlestar Galactica, etc. Haven't seen much of that stuff so I'm not sure myself, I should probably look into it though!

The series doesn't have an original soundtrack, instead they somehow were able to use tons and tons of classical scores by Beethoven, Wagner, Nielsen, Mahler ... tons of stuff and it actually works really well! I couldn't see the series any other way. Here's a listing of what just the first season has in it:
http://www.logh.net/classic/musics1.htm

Totally give it a shot. Simply putting "anime" aside I can just say it's one of the best shows I've ever seen and it'll be hard to compare to. You can get the series off - a.scarywater.net/ca/, the group that subbed it is currently re-releasing DVDrip episodes that look great so you could maybe download some of those and see what you think. Definitely give it a little time, it might not grab you right off the bat, and I'd even say the first season (~24 or somewhere around there) is like the setup for the real story.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:31 pm 

Damn Xeogred I hope that show puts Naruto in its place. I FUCKING HATE Naruto and it's counter Bleach. I don't know I just can't stand those shows.

I need an influx of good anime - but not just good - "amazing" good. This seems like the answer for me thing year.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:40 am 

I don't know about any series but I saw the 1985 Fist of the North Star animated movie. Closely adapted from it's Shogan Jump origin. Goriest cartoon I ever saw.

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:39 am 

Quote:
Ideon Be Invoked is probably my favorite film. Epic conclusion to a great series, one of the most tragic and fucked up endings I've ever seen next to Texhnolyze.

I've started watching this series, and am hoping that it shall be a lot better than Evangelion, which apparently was influenced by it. Don't like the animation as much as that of, say, Monster, but it seems like it could get interesting. On the other hand, some reviews I found while looking for it seem to imply that it's somewhat monotonous, so we'll see.
Also, yes, Votoms was great.

Quote:
Damn Xeogred I hope that show puts Naruto in its place. I FUCKING HATE Naruto and it's counter Bleach. I don't know I just can't stand those shows.

Basically the only anime fans here either are fans of that kind of stuff or Evangelion and the like. :(

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:22 pm 

Yeah, lots of mainstream stuff mentioned here. Pretty much why I was shocked to see Zdan speak of some of those shows, seems like you know some good stuff too 2Eagle!

Anyways, Ideon definitely gets better I'd say, the characters start to sink in, things continue to get more and more intense, etc. In the end getting to Be Invoked is absolutely worth it. It blew me away so much that it was hard to believe Tomino pulled it off, even as a big fan of his stuff a lot of his conclusions are sometimes a hit or miss (anticlimatic or not really conclusive). Be Invoked was just fucking mindblowingly beautiful. It made me wish more of Tomino's classic shows had movie film endings, because with Be Invoked you'll see the budget shoots up from the series, actual orchestrated music, etc, it's epic.

It'll all make you hate Eva even more, too. :lol:, the comparisons are correct though, I do think Eva's director has openly admitted Ideon was a big influence.

I think a big issue with Ideon though is that too many people go in for the mecha. People tend to say it's a slow series but really, I thought the pacing was great. The whole series feels like a huge intergalactic chase, and I was far more interested in the mysteries behind the Ideon/Ide, the characters, etc, than the action. I think if people go in for that stuff it's more enjoyable.

I'd have to highly recommend Dougram and Layzner to you 2Eagle, if you really digged Votoms. Like I mentioned above it's from the same director. Both are a little different though in that Dougram has more politcal intrigue along with a larger cast. People die though, out of nowhere. It's another manly show and does make the original Gundam look pretty childish at times. Layzner was a bit slow at first but it really grabbed me after awhile. It pits an unexpectedly young cast of trainee's into the midst of war, with a mysterious main character whom comes out of nowhere being half born from two different human races... it takes the small crew of survivors awhile to trust him. There's a lot of realistic drama developed between the main cast and they're just damn teens with almost no experience, so when a fight breaks out you actually end up fearing for their lives. It's pretty intense and not a lot of shows give off that kind of vibe, where you're afraid with the characters. I love it. I'm currently watching Vifam which is pretty similar, an even younger cast thrown into the midst of war and all alone... it's a bit more comical, but still very intense at times. They just don't make mecha like they used too.

Both aren't fully subbed though, Dougram is up to 18 I think and Layzner 16... hopefully they get finished soon. Both seem like top tier militarilistic drama with a serious take on mecha. There's also Panzer World Galient (which has probably one of the coolest OP's I've ever seen), another 80's Takahashi series ... unsubbed! I hate how all his classic stuff hasn't been fully subbed after all this time. Since his stuff typically seems even more mature and darker than Tomino's, I'm just dying to see them all.

(Also very interesting that the main for Layzner, Eiji, is basically the complete opposite of Chirico. He doesn't want to kill! But I'll just say ... shit happens).

Lonely Way!

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:50 am 

Eh, I'm generally just getting into anime, really. Also, thanks for the recommendations, it seems that I shall be busy this coming summer. Pity that those two haven't been fully subbed yet.

Quote:
It'll all make you hate Eva even more, too. Laughing, the comparisons are correct though, I do think Eva's director has openly admitted Ideon was a big influence.

Yeah, they seem to share the format too (ending with movies), which would be a deterrent, except that then I remember that Paolini is a Frank Herbert fan and Gaiman likes Dunsany.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:01 pm 

Music from Be Invoked!

:eek:

Comus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:44 pm 

I don't watch much anime anymore, but ones that I will always enjoy are:

Cowboy Bebop
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Baccano!
Gundam
Detroit Metal City
Berserk
Ghost in the Shell
Akira
Ninja Scroll
Serial Experiments Lain
Black Lagoon
Gunbuster
The Soultaker
Wolf's Rain

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:56 pm 

Xeogred wrote:

Yes. Apocalyptic as all hell. Total destruction. Apocalypse. IDEON GUN!

But my favourite music from an anime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOfuDYnaz0E

Total ownage right there. And the Daimos units are actually pretty killer in Super Robot Wars games so yay!

fatrat600284
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:11 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
For those who haven't seen anything Fist Of The North Star, check THIS for some insanely intense and amazing head-exploding action.

Wow that got me interested.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:59 am 

I enjoyed Evangelion. The children are all fairly annoying, but you have to keep in mind that they are 14 years old, with fucked up pasts, and the weight of the world on their shoulders. I think it fairly accurately depicts what they'd do under the situation.

And anyone who can't appreciate the way the mecha is fused with organic technology... Well, I guess thats just my chemistry and biology fascination coming through :D

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:08 am 

Eh, I prefer Votoms to Fist, mainly because Votoms had a long-term story in mind and, well, Fist got somewhat dull.
But enough of that. Since my last post here, I just finished watching Ideon, including Be Invoked. The ending... Fuck yes. (!!!)
(Keeping in mind Failsafe's advice on Fates Warning's albums)
And I can see what you mean about disliking NGE more, it was in large part a crappy Ideon rip-off. When it comes to the beginning of Ideon, I can see why people find it monotonous (it does seem to follow a similar pattern for each episode), but yeah, it does give us a chance to get to know the characters, and show how the war starts off. Though quite a bit of time is spent on the one-sided battles, it doesn't really have a Team-Rocket-is-blasting-off-again effect due to the fact that there's some direction, and, well, the harder challenges mean a more powerful Ide, and a more powerful Ide is not necessarily good (well, I suppose there was the happy ending, but still). My only real complaint is that sometimes the series makes some things a bit too predictable, such as a certain love affair being given away in the first episode (I mean, seriously, that was far too obvious). Also, Kasha in BI was just too predictable (well, it was her or Cosmo). Anyways, I didn't see 'The Contact', apparently there were some changes and additional content made there, but otherwise it goes over the series, though it misses out some plotlines. So, does that improve on stuff, and is it worth watching? Because while BI changed the disappearance scene in Episode 39, I really prefer the scene from the Episode, because it has far more suspense and such than the movie version, where it's basically immediate.

Anyways, I shall be on to LotGH (bad name choice, IMO), so thanks for that too, Xeo. It sounds awesome. Then again, should I cut straight to the series, or watch the movies first?

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:57 pm 

From what I've seen, I prefer the English dubs to the original Japanese. It always seems as though the original Japanese voices are higher pitched and more childish...which I guess makes sense in some cases (example: when the character is a child).

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next