Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PureNegativism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:50 am 

I'd imagine many who browse here may find this series appealing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinland_Saga_(manga)
http://www.mediafire.com/?xfx2lyzxbwn
The content, characters and art are very enjoyable. Likely the best manga currently running. That mediafire link contains the first two volumes in a .rar archive file.

Last thing viewed was 1985's Angel's Egg. Very dark and surreal animation. Enjoyable in how well it could place you in that brooding world it created, I still found it a bit unsatisfying. Worth a look if you not into typical anime aesthetics.

Prior to that it was Sword of the Stranger. The story was not particularly captivating and seemed only to serve as skeleton for the fantastic animation. Which was some of the best I've seen, though the character were a bit bland looking in contrast to their settings. Worth a look if you're wanting something that looks nice in motion.

PureNegativism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:03 am 

Deucalion wrote:
From what I've seen, I prefer the English dubs to the original Japanese. It always seems as though the original Japanese voices are higher pitched and more childish...which I guess makes sense in some cases (example: when the character is a child).

I've found the opposite to be true. Dubbings often have very childish "cartoony"/caricatured intonations in inappropriate circumstances. The medium obviously garners more respect and attention in Japan, so the quality of the actors is typically much better and more professional.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:05 am 

2Eagle333 wrote:
My only real complaint is that sometimes the series makes some things a bit too predictable, such as a certain love affair being given away in the first episode (I mean, seriously, that was far too obvious). Also, Kasha in BI was just too predictable (well, it was her or Cosmo). Anyways, I didn't see 'The Contact', apparently there were some changes and additional content made there, but otherwise it goes over the series, though it misses out some plotlines. So, does that improve on stuff, and is it worth watching? Because while BI changed the disappearance scene in Episode 39, I really prefer the scene from the Episode, because it has far more suspense and such than the movie version, where it's basically immediate.

Anyways, I shall be on to LotGH (bad name choice, IMO), so thanks for that too, Xeo. It sounds awesome. Then again, should I cut straight to the series, or watch the movies first?

1. Heh, well all I can say about the romance thing is that ... I must've not really noticed because after a few Tomino shows, I kind of realized "romance + Tomino = lawls". Especially in Zeta Gundam or Aura Battler Dunbine, the romantic connections seem random as hell. Not something he does too well in my book ... lol.

2. A Contact is basically a compilation, the entire series up to the last few episodes condensed into barely two hours. So, like a lot of Tomino/classic anime compilations the pacing is lightspeed. I don't remember there being any real major changes though and usually I hear if you've seen the series, A Contact isn't really needed (unless say, you want to revisit the series sometime down the road). But maybe you're like me and just love to see everything a franchise has to offer? Heh...

What I did actually was watch A Contact first to get a taste of the series and I was surprised, especially for being a super fast paced compilation by how much I enjoyed it. So I went through the series and then got to Be Invoked. The biggest difference is probably more than likely just the fact that A Contact has a fully orchestrated OST like Be Invoked. I guess I can say if you're still interested and have the time, it really can't hurt.

As for LOGH, the only movie I'd think of recommending would be My Conquest is the Sea of Stars. The group that subbed all of LOGH did that one too, but the other movies have only been available with HK subs so far (Hong Kong automated fansubs, stay as far away from these as possible. Incorrect names, ultimate Engrish, they're just horrible).

MCitSoS (wow?) is supposed to be like a redux on the first two episodes or something like that. You could start with that then jump to the series, but it's probably not absolutely needed. The movie is a fairly good example of what some of the early battles are like, which usually only last 2-3 episodes in between all the drama and epic character development.

Blah, I watched the movie first then the series if that says anything. :lol:

By the way if you haven't downloaded the whole thing yet, you could try to grab CA's DVD rip releases of the series they're doing now. They're only up to ~18 or so but it's nice. The series is loosely broken up into 4 seasons and with each season you'll be able to tell the budget increases a bit, animation and art improves, etc. I remember the first few episodes were kind of low res, but since you've gone through Ideon and other classic shows I doubt that's much of a concern! The new DVD releases are great compared to the old releases of the first season, but from there it's probably not a big deal... CA say's they'll redo the whole thing though eventually.

After you've seen like ~15 episodes or the first season definitely let me know what you think. ;), it's one of those shows that does the impossible too, when you think it couldn't possibly get any better it does. It's also a bit overwhelming at first with the onslaught of characters, but they constantly display their names with their first appearances per episode for quite awhile... and by the end of the series you'll probably know everyone.

Also, don't know if I threw this one out, but LOGH has history episodes about the history of LOGH, it's universe. It's that fucking deep. :D

And having the OVA status that it somehow does, despite being 110 episodes, it gets away with nudity, lots of violence (it's seriously pretty damn gory at times), etc, things like that. Not that this stuff makes a show for me, unlike others... but it's just nice to see they didn't have to hold back.

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:54 am 

Hm, I may watch 'A Contact' sometime if I ever feel like revisiting the series, since it would probably be more interesting than rewatching the whole series. There are probably some changes, hell, there was a pretty major change in the beginning of Be Invoked, and if it also has orchestration as in Be Invoked, it should be fairly fresh.

As for LotGH, I just finished on the 69th episode, using the link you gave on the last page. The series is pretty great at keeping you guessing when it comes to character deaths (unlike Ideon, tbh), currently I have a feeling Yang may be in for it sometime soon, but eh, you don't really know. For example, often enough the scene introducing Mittermeyer's family would have meant his death soon enough, but not here. Then again, the general reason why that tends to hold is that it's most commonly used to make an antagonist seem more humane before killing them (Ideon was also guilty of this, rather blatantly), but here there aren't really that many clear antagonists, though there are some who would fit the role, but evenly distributed among the sides. I like how that's done. For that matter, it keeps you guessing on lots of things, for example, you can't really use the length of the series as a guide as to whether or not something will work. Also, I do sense some social commentary, especially when it comes to the Alliance. The politicians are pretty realistic. It's also nice how both main characters don't fight each other too much in the first season or so, meaning that you get to appreciate both sides without having to support one or the other.

Still, on main characters, I wouldn't say there's only the 2. I mean, really, Kircheis would count as one. I get the feeling that Julian may be soon, seeing as he suddenly seems to be taking up more focus, though I have no idea. Anyways, on the violence, yeah, I did notice that (burning people and exposed brains, especially). Fortunately it's not used as a substitute for content, hell, it serves to show the audience why Yang must feel as he does. Though still, it's good to see that, while anti-war, they didn't give the guy moments resembling Tenma with a gun, which were probably the only annoying parts in Monster. To be honest, I didn't really realize animation improving, though I didn't really focus on it much because there was a lot going on. Perhaps on a re-watch. In fact, I have a friend visiting here soon who may be interested in the series (and really, I wouldn't mind watching it again), so perhaps I'll check out the movie after the series to see how good an introduction it would be. And yes, the history lesson episodes are actually pretty nice. Really, it's an idea that would seem fairly dull on paper, but it's impressive that they manage to pull it off without making it boring.
As for the other movies, hopefully they'll be given proper subs sometime.

Quote:
I've found the opposite to be true. Dubbings often have very childish "cartoony"/caricatured intonations in inappropriate circumstances.

Well, yeah, or it sounds like it's being narrated by somebody extremely bored. I try to avoid them as much as possible.

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:10 pm 

PureNegativism wrote:
Deucalion wrote:
From what I've seen, I prefer the English dubs to the original Japanese. It always seems as though the original Japanese voices are higher pitched and more childish...which I guess makes sense in some cases (example: when the character is a child).

I've found the opposite to be true. Dubbings often have very childish "cartoony"/caricatured intonations in inappropriate circumstances. The medium obviously garners more respect and attention in Japan, so the quality of the actors is typically much better and more professional.

I think it depends on the voice actor. I have found that many female Japanese voice actors have a high pitched voice which can be mildly annoying, but becomes cringe-worthy and unbearable when the English voice actor tries to mimic the same intonation (see Nunnally from Code Geass).

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:23 pm 

PureNegativism wrote:
Deucalion wrote:

I tend to hate Japanese voice actors, can't stand listening to the original dialogue. Plus, I hate reading subs.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:34 pm 

2Eagle333 wrote:
As for LotGH, I just finished on the 69th episode, using the link you gave on the last page.

What the ... hell. Are you human? :eek:

I was finishing 50 episode shows in about a week last year when I was unemployed for awhile and didn't do much. With LOGH though I felt like pacing myself, so I only watched 1-2 episodes per night (was consistent though), and I think I finished it a little after 2 months. Probably watched a few more episodes on the weekends or here and there, but yeah.

Well anyways, since you're blasting through the series I guess I can mention that there's two more seasons (OVA's technically I guess) that focus on Yang's past, and Reinhard's past, so prequels pretty much (both ~25 episodes or so). CA is sadly taking quite awhile to finish Yang's series (Spiral Labyrinth) but Reinhard's series has been finished for awhile (quite a title ... A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights. Honestly a lot of people just refer to these two as either Yang's Gaiden or Reinhard's). I was very pleasantly surprised to see that it basically felt, exactly like another season of LOGH. The writing/directing and everything is completely up to par with the main series, and the art/animation is pretty similar to the 4th season (these two prequels came out afterwards).

Content wise, it was really badass too. You see Reinhard's rise to power and him on actual battlefields, doing the dirty work, etc. It made me respect him a lot more and honestly question if he's my favorite character, or Yang. Then there's obviously, more Sieg! I liked that a lot. There's also ground battles, something people complain about with the main series, so that was interesting too. The last two arcs or so also have a lot of focus on the Rosenritter and how Schenkopp took over basically, so that's also instantly awesome.

The only bad thing about Yang's OVA, is that the original voice actor died shortly after the main series, so another VA had to take up his role basically. You're familar with Votoms, the guy who played Chirico plays Yang. It's not bad but certainly ... kind of hard to accept. I'm usually not harsh on this stuff at all, but Yang's original voice actor was just really awesome. Another thing is that in Yang's OVA, the animation/art is a lot more cel-shaded more late 90's / early 2000's in style, so it sadly looks a bit more cartoony, if that makes sense. But anyways, I haven't really watched it yet... just waiting for CA to finish it which like I said, is sadly taking quite awhile. :(, guess there's plenty more to watch in between the wait though!

And yeah, as mature and top notch as Monster's writing and everything was, LOGH's is even better in my opinion. Doesn't hold your hand at all and basically everything is believable.

I also do love that you can practically relate to every single character, as you were saying, there's pretty much no true antagonist. The single character I [loved] to hate throughout the whole thing was probably Truniht, and yet even he has some questionable moments of being "correct" towards the end.

Random question just for the heck of it, if you could live as a middle class citizen in either the Alliance or the Empire, which would you choose? Being an American I guess I later ended up thinking the Empire was a bit more interesting but then I kind of wondered, since the series really only does depict high class life in that area, how was everything else? There's just so many cool things to think about and question throughout the series.

Edit: CA organized Reinhard's OVA really ... weirdly. It's all listed as "Legend of Galactic Heroes Gaiden 1-4" towards the bottom of their listing at scarywater. Hopefully they're all still seeded for you, or I'm sure you can find them somewhere else.

invoking_the_majesty
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:44 pm 

I personally adore Pokemon, and have actually watched pretty much every single episode ever aired. For someone who's into black metal people find it really strange, but I find Pokemon is a great way to just sit back and relax. I've not really ever seen any other anime series, bar Digimon which I used to watch. I also watch a fair bit of Yu-Gi-Oh, actually. Childish, yes, tell me about it.

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:10 am 

Quote:
What the ... hell. Are you human?
To some extent. Eh, I'm pretty much free at the moment. I won't be next week, though, and I'm trying to avoid a one week break until I reach the end of the current season. Anyways, if the mentioned series could make me like Reinhard more than (or as much as) Yang, it would have to be very awesome. I'll check that out after finishing the series and taking a break.

Quote:
The single character I [loved] to hate throughout the whole thing was probably Truniht, and yet even he has some questionable moments of being "correct" towards the end.

Does he? That should be interesting, I suppose. To be honest, Phezzan was something of an antagonistic force in the beginning, especially Kesseling. Oberstein would perhaps also fit in the 'nearly-an-antagonist' range, at least so far.

Quote:
Random question just for the heck of it, if you could live as a middle class citizen in either the Alliance or the Empire, which would you choose?

Really, it would seem they're about equal. The main difference politically is that the Empire is more honest about being dictatorial. Still, we don't really get much focus on the daily lives of most people, so there's not really enough information to make a decision, though it is implied that Reinhard's reforms could make the Empire better in that respect, though it could just equalize the two. Also, the whole Nazi symbolism is somewhat disturbing (I mean, seriously, Nazi salutes?), though it is implied that Reinhard doesn't completely approve of this kind of thing (the whole 'forcing people to say Sieg Kaiser' bit). Still, there's also a secret police (though the other side has the PKC), and one has as high a chance of being manipulated or discarded for the good of the Kaiser as Alliance-ites have of being sold out by the people they vote in to misrepresent them. You don't really have free speech in either side, really, and the press of both sides works for the benefit of the ruling minority, so not much difference there. Either side would probably mean that us commies get locked up or killed (hell, Yang isn't even one of us anarchists, and he pretty much only survived freely because he was vital to the survival of the Alliance. The Peace Party had themselves attacked at every possible opportunity, and were a single-issue Party, a 'Communist Party' would probably be bombed as soon as it got off, and, being a CP, probably not even be communist anyways). Though yeah, a corrupt non-dictatorial republic would probably be easier to fix than a corrupt monarchy, Yang did have a point there. Also, the whole 'republic vs monarchy' thing is played out pretty well, the series doesn't push either viewpoint.

In conclusion, they both pretty much suck, it would seem. If I were to have very good foresight, I would probably choose the Empire, if only because it would increase my chances of survival. Well, unless the series decides to go 'Ideon' with the ending.

Leify
A Whisper of Death

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:12 am 

Yu Yu Hakusho.

Every other anime can burn in hell.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:11 am 

2Eagle333 wrote:
Oberstein would perhaps also fit in the 'nearly-an-antagonist' range, at least so far.

Ah, Oberstein. Single handedly one of the weirdest, most interesting characters I've ever seen in anything. Truly a memorable character.

Awesome VA too that does a lot of obscure roles ... it's funny because in some older stuff like Baldios, he almost sounds like two different people at times when he yells and such. Oh, the VA also played that blonde guy in Ideon, that teleported with Karala towards the end. He's also apparently Grey Fox in MGS for the Japanese version. /totally random junk.

And yeah, agreed with your thoughts on the two sides (where you'd like to live, basically both would probably suck in the very end).

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:54 am 

Leify wrote:
Yu Yu Hakusho.

Funny you mention that now, I'm watching it as I type. Its fucking awesome.

I've always loved anime, but living where I do and having the shitty "broadband" that I have; it makes anything but the really famous series really hard to acquire.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:17 am 

Leify wrote:
Yu Yu Hakusho.

Fuck yes. FUCK YES. I love Yu Yu Hakusho - sometimes weird, epic, heroic with a great cast of characters. Hiei takes the cake for most awesome.

LargeHadronCollider_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:36 am 

I win.

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:21 am 

Xeogred wrote:
2Eagle333 wrote:
Oberstein would perhaps also fit in the 'nearly-an-antagonist' range, at least so far.

Ah, Oberstein. Single handedly one of the weirdest, most interesting characters I've ever seen in anything. Truly a memorable character.

Yeah, the guy's pretty unique. Also, he seems to serve as something of a contrast to Kircheis.

Quote:
Awesome VA too that does a lot of obscure roles ... it's funny because in some older stuff like Baldios, he almost sounds like two different people at times when he yells and such.

What I've heard about Baldios (especially the ending) is pretty interesting, so I may check it out sometime. You seem to have watched it, so what was your impression?

Quote:
Oh, the VA also played that blonde guy in Ideon, that teleported with Karala towards the end.

Hm, Joliver, wasn't it? I couldn't have guessed that.

Anyways, after seeing the Fork bit, it would appear that the ending video for this season is a huge spoiler, and rather obviously.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 pm 

Ah yeah, Joliver was his name. That was the guy he played.

Sadly for Baldios the whole series hasn't been subbed. I've actually talked to the one guy who's subbed the first two episodes (recently), but he also did the movie which is what I saw. If you've read about it, you've probably seen it gets compared to Ideon here and there in being pretty damn grim (especially the ending). It also was cancelled earlier than expected and so the movie has more of a true ending.

I thought the movie was pretty good. The mech stuff in it is far more Mazinger/Getter Robo, over the top super robot material... it's interesting though because I think the series could've worked out perfectly without mecha altogether. It felt like it was just an excuse to get some action in there, there wasn't much meaning behind it all unlike the Ideon or whatnot. Probably could've been just some sci-fi / space drama. So yeah, you enjoyed Ideon so I'd take a guess that you'd probably like Baldios too, definitely check out the movie sometime. I hope the guy subs the whole series too. The first two episodes were great.

Funny some of you bring up Yu Yu Hakusho, sometimes I get random urges to watch a shonen and that's one I've been pretty interested in seeing someday. It's all about the 80's -> mid 90's shonens! I'd like to go through Fist of the Northstar eventually too and all of the original Dragonball, I only saw about a season of that one but did really enjoy it. Pretty different compared to DBZ.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:06 am 

This looks pretty epic.

PoisonedAmbrosia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:45 am 

invoking_the_majesty wrote:
I personally adore Pokemon, and have actually watched pretty much every single episode ever aired. For someone who's into black metal people find it really strange, but I find Pokemon is a great way to just sit back and relax. I've not really ever seen any other anime series, bar Digimon which I used to watch. I also watch a fair bit of Yu-Gi-Oh, actually. Childish, yes, tell me about it.
Sometimes I don't think of "Pokemon" as anime because of the huge childish fanbase the series possesses. But if it was an animation made in Japan and the original voice acting track is spoken in japanese then it's anime. I may be missing a couple more elements that prove anime to be...well, anime.

CIMA
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:22 pm 

-Lelouch of the Rebellion (Code Geass): I love mecha anime, but the idea of a character with a power and using it to rule the world and make it a better place while doing things that are morally questionable (mind control) just makes for a good story. The series shares its theme with another favorite of mine...

-DEATH NOTE: Pretty much the same except our main character comes into the possession of a book that pretty much gives him power. Doing questionable things while believing it's for the good of every, ect. Plus the theme music by Maximum the Hormone is just great

-Ranma 1/2: My favorite Takahashi series (didn't really care for Inuyasha at all). It has martial arts AND a great deal of comedy...like an actually funny Jackie Chan cartoon.

-Tiger Mask: Being a fan of professional wrestling, it was pretty cool to see an anime based on it. The genius move of having an actual wrestler work for the biggest company in Japan during the time the anime ran was great. The same was done with Jushin Liger. Series was you standard battle anime fare without the spiky-headed pre-teen and his blastgasm attacks.

-early Naruto: From the debut until after the tournament...really until after the Rock Lee vs. Gaora fight. At first Naruto was pretty unique and the fights had strategy to them (unlike DBZ's beat an enemy to a pulp and bomb them to hell with the largest, most unblockable ki blast known to man while in god mode)...then later in the series it became DBZ-like. Energy attacks began become more and more prominent and it lost its charm. The most destructive ninjas I've ever watched in anime. A perfect example of battle anime.

-Bleach: It follows the same battle anime theme of a spiky haired kid or guy with powers who is part of a team fighting enemies who are stronger than the previous--DESPITE--a mentor saying something along the lines of "This is the strongest enemy you will ever face". Plus there are the required explosions and mass destruction. Bleach gets the pass simply because Ikkaku Madarame (the bald Soul Reaper) is the shit.

-Cromartie High: It's weird...very weird...BUT it's funny. The manga was perfect in every way.

I would like to see the Berserk anime. I loved the manga...and I think Bremen was made into an anime as well.

DoNotResuscitate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:43 pm 

You have to have some sort of attention deficit disorder to like this garbage.

I don't get the obsession with anime whatsoever.

Someone care to fill me in?
"Yeah, I read that board for like 2 weeks when I first signed up a few years ago and determined it was about as intelligent as AOL Metal Chat and the FMP board having a retarded baby." - Dan discusses the M-A Board

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:22 pm 

People like stuff.

If you could get over your attention deficit disorder and maybe do a little research into the genre yourself, looking into things you might like instead of going with whatever everyone else talks about, you might find stuff you'd enjoy.

Last edited by Xeogred on Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CIMA
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:22 pm 

With me it's not so much an obsession as much as I like the "sticking to a central storyline" and building of episodes of Japanese action/adventure series as opposed to the sitcom-style episodes of most American series (barring very few action series and the occassional comedy series). On the flip side it's the same thing I like with the animes that turn me off of the mangas for the most part since with American comics they can branch off into other comics on the same imprint (Civil War, Infinity Crisis, etc).

Basically, it's something drastically different from what I grew up watching. Even G.I Joe, Ninja Turtles, Toxic Avenger, and Biker Mice From Mars were pretty situational episodes and didn't have a continuing storyline. You have a villain and you fought them every episode, but the episodes very rarely played off of each other like they do in anime.

As far as the actual obsession--collecting mass amounts of boxsets, figurines, wall scrolls, and doing cosplay is where I draw the line. I own only three tapes from the Golden Boy series...like I have the money to actually put out for anime like that. :nono:

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:27 pm 

PsycholgclMishap wrote:
You have to have some sort of attention deficit disorder to like this garbage.

I don't get the obsession with anime whatsoever.

Someone care to fill me in?

I respectfully disagree - Michael Bay films are more appropriately suited for the ADD crowd. Have you ever seen ADD kids sitting through hours of subtitles? :P

As has been previously stated in this thread, there are good animes scattered amongst an ocean of shittiness. The good ones feature some exceptional storytelling and unique style, animation just happens to be the medium of portrayal. Of course, if you're "too grown up for cartoons" you probably won't like it :roll:

There are some obsessed fans out there (otaku, weeaboos, japanophiles, etc.) but the majority of us just like the art style and storytelling.

Check out a few of the animes listed in this thread, or some of the Miyazaki films if you are curious, you might find something you like

DoNotResuscitate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:27 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
People like stuff.

If you could get over your attention deficit disorder and maybe do a little research into the genre yourself, looking into things you might like instead of going with whatever everyone else talks about, you might find stuff you'd enjoy.

Nice reply, Xeo.

I have done some exploring into this genre. The only thing remotely interesting to me was that movie "Princess Mononoke" and it was remotely interesting at best.

I don't like the anime animation in general, action sequences (pausing and overdramatization), etc.

I'd rather watch Adult Swim.
"Yeah, I read that board for like 2 weeks when I first signed up a few years ago and determined it was about as intelligent as AOL Metal Chat and the FMP board having a retarded baby." - Dan discusses the M-A Board

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:37 pm 

Messiah_X wrote:
As has been previously stated in this thread, there are good animes scattered amongst an ocean of shittiness. The good ones feature some exceptional storytelling and unique style, animation just happens to be the medium of portrayal. Of course, if you're "too grown up for cartoons" you probably won't like it :roll:

The thing is, that's the case for all mediums. There's tons of shitty movies out there, TV shows, shit metal, horrible videogames, comics, etc, everything. If you hate anime, that's cool, but if you latch unto the hate with no real argument or reason at all, it's pretty silly.

And not to point fingers at you PsycholgclMishap, you don't seem stupid or anything. :P

Going along with what Messiah_X said though and seeing that you liked Princess Mononoke, you could give other Miyazaki films a shot. I would imagine Nausica would be an excellent second choice. Again though, if you're not interested or just simply don't like anime ... that's totally cool, I just dislike it when people are ignorant about the whole thing.

But there are indeed some people that take it a little too far. I own some random DVD's of my favorites or whatever, but that's about it. Mostly a downloader, lol. Filling your rooms with figurine models, wallscrolls, pillows and blankets, etc etc etc ... yeah that's a bit much. People can get that way with other things for sure though, but I guess when it comes to anime people can get to a ridiculous level of obsession or it just really "looks" that way.

CIMA
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:43 pm 

PsycholgclMishap wrote:
Xeogred wrote:
People like stuff.

Nice reply, Xeo.

I have done some exploring into this genre. The only thing remotely interesting to me was that movie "Princess Mononoke" and it was remotely interesting at best.

I don't like the anime animation in general, action sequences (pausing and overdramatization), etc.

Princess Mononoke is a great introduction to anime. There is some specialty anime--if you like fighting games there's Street Fighter II V (and the Animated Movie, HIGHLY suggested) and Fatal Fury. There's stuff based off of RPGS (Final Fantasy and .hack), and more.

The overdramatization is something it took awhile to get over. I started watching anime after reading comics and manga for the most part so it didn't take all that long, but it was something that annoyed me for a bit.

Anime is like metal or movies in the principle that there is something for everyone it just depends on what you really want. That's pretty much missing from the current stock of American cartoons (aside from the adult swim line-up for the most part. Venture Bros. brings the action).

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:46 pm 

This thread needs more Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann. One of the most fun series I've seen in all my days.

Daathian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:10 pm 

Though I think they have both been mentioned, the only anime shows I really watch are:

Elfen Lied - Simply because it is graphic and rather interesting despite the teenage personalities.

Hellsing Ultimate - Vampires fighting Undead Nazis...enough said.

CIMA
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:14 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
This thread needs more Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann. One of the most fun series I've seen in all my days.

That series was airing on Sci-Fi for period. I don't know if it's still airing or not, but I actually liked it. Tokko was another great series shown on Sci-Fi as was Noien and Blood: The Last Vampire.

...especially Blood: The Last Vampire.

DoNotResuscitate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:24 pm 

CIMA wrote:
PsycholgclMishap wrote:
Nice reply, Xeo.

Princess Mononoke is a great introduction to anime. There is some specialty anime--if you like fighting games there's Street Fighter II V (and the Animated Movie, HIGHLY suggested) and Fatal Fury. There's stuff based off of RPGS (Final Fantasy and .hack), and more.

The overdramatization is something it took awhile to get over. I started watching anime after reading comics and manga for the most part so it didn't take all that long, but it was something that annoyed me for a bit.

Anime is like metal or movies in the principle that there is something for everyone it just depends on what you really want. That's pretty much missing from the current stock of American cartoons (aside from the adult swim line-up for the most part. Venture Bros. brings the action).

I think out of everything the overdramatization kills it the most for me.

I was never into comics as a kid but over the last couple of years I've started to look into them more.

The thing about comic books is they are way too short. When I'm in the mood to read I usually read all day long and comics are usually a small series of pages, and I don't have the patience to wait a whole month, 2 months, etc. for the next issue to come out. So I wait to check anything out until there are already several issues released.

CIMA
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:37 pm 

PsycholgclMishap wrote:

I was never into comics as a kid but over the last couple of years I've started to look into them more.

The thing about comic books is they are way too short. When I'm in the mood to read I usually read all day long and comics are usually a small series of pages, and I don't have the patience to wait a whole month, 2 months, etc. for the next issue to come out. So I wait to check anything out until there are already several issues released.

I stopped reading comics during my high school year (although I was still drawing my own home made ones and sold them at school). I got back into them after I finished college and saw what I was missing with the American comics. One of the stand outs is Kick-Ass, but The Amazing Spider-Man has always been the consistent gold standard.

Comics are way too short. I usually get the graphic novels and read them since they usually cover a portion of an arch with four or five issues. Also reading the Marvel Essentials will tie you over a bit. Those are like the golden age (50s and 60s) and bronze age (70s and 80s) comic comps with like 20-30 issues (around 300 or 400 pages). They're very good since I always considered Marvel the overall more mature brand compared to DC. I don't know if DC has an Essential-type imprint.

Galaris
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:42 pm 

There are two anime series that I've recently watched and will never forget.

Higurashi (don't worry, if you watch the anime you'll discover that there's any spoiler)
Suzumiya Haruhi No Yuutsu The anime's not about some pop rock star, don't worry.. Those who made the video repeated too much when Haruhi plays in a concert, but there's only once in the anime.
That's a really better AMV but with really worse music... Mute the Youtube xD

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:53 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Messiah_X wrote:

The thing is, that's the case for all mediums. There's tons of shitty movies out there, TV shows, shit metal, horrible videogames, comics, etc, everything. If you hate anime, that's cool, but if you latch unto the hate with no real argument or reason at all, it's pretty silly.

And not to point fingers at you PsycholgclMishap, you don't seem stupid or anything. :P

Going along with what Messiah_X said though and seeing that you liked Princess Mononoke, you could give other Miyazaki films a shot. I would imagine Nausica would be an excellent second choice. Again though, if you're not interested or just simply don't like anime ... that's totally cool, I just dislike it when people are ignorant about the whole thing.

But there are indeed some people that take it a little too far. I own some random DVD's of my favorites or whatever, but that's about it. Mostly a downloader, lol. Filling your rooms with figurine models, wallscrolls, pillows and blankets, etc etc etc ... yeah that's a bit much. People can get that way with other things for sure though, but I guess when it comes to anime people can get to a ridiculous level of obsession or it just really "looks" that way.

Indeed, I think Sturgeon's Law was mentioned in this thread. Didn't mean to seem like I was singling anime out as the only medium with a lot of crap surrounding a few real gems. As a rule of thumb I avoid most Shonen Jump animations (Rurouni Kenshin and Death Note being the only exceptions thus far) and pretty much everything in the harem genre.

As far as obsession goes, I think this is also something that can go too far. Look at some Star Wars/Star Trek fans. Hell even metalheads can go overboard (I have a black metal friend with demonology pictures, gig flyers, self-made posters, and a satanic altar with animal skulls and inverted crucifixes in his room). I'm personally not above collecting box sets for the animes I enjoy, but I also draw the line at collectible figures and cosplay.

CIMA
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:11 pm 

Galaris wrote:
There are two anime series that I've recently watched and will never forget.

Higurashi (don't worry, if you watch the anime you'll discover that there's any spoiler)

This series seems very interesting and I'm reading up on it now. I've never been a fan of mystery-anything, but that AMV really snagged me.

Messiah_X wrote:

Indeed, I think Sturgeon's Law was mentioned in this thread. Didn't mean to seem like I was singling anime out as the only medium with a lot of crap surrounding a few real gems. As a rule of thumb I avoid most Shonen Jump animations (Rurouni Kenshin and Death Note being the only exceptions thus far) and pretty much everything in the harem genre.

As far as obsession goes, I think this is also something that can go too far. Look at some Star Wars/Star Trek fans. Hell even metalheads can go overboard (I have a black metal friend with demonology pictures, gig flyers, self-made posters, and a satanic altar with animal skulls and inverted crucifixes in his room). I'm personally not above collecting box sets for the animes I enjoy, but I also draw the line at collectible figures and cosplay.

I believe it's more of when it begins to seep into your daily life. Relationships, work, school, and stuff of the like. I don't see it as an obsession if you're part of say a club or group who are really into this stuff...hell, if you work at a place centered around this stuff--like a comic book store in the case of D&D, comics, and sci-fi--it's OK.

To go around in public wearing cat ears and saying "Kawaii" while also addressing each other as -san or chibi is crossing the line. Same with walking around with a light saber, wearing a cape, speaking into your communicator, and running around saying "It's Duke Nukem Time." With anything, there's extremes where it gets weird. Also having the missus dress as Princess Leia or Lois Lane in everyday life is weird as well...not saying that the latter has happened, but cat ears, light saber, and cape have.

...then again weird stuff happens at the mall.

DoNotResuscitate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:16 pm 

True. Star Warriors and Trekkies are insane. haha. I mean come on. Remember when they started producing Star Trek chess sets? I mean really? It's a cool idea but a bit grandiose.

I also have a friend thoroughly obsessed with horror movies to the point where he actually has storage units full of them.

The only thing I'm obsessed about is Music -- and not just Metal.

To each their own, I suppose. Sometimes the obsession goes beyond reality though and people need to get a grip.

CIMA
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:19 pm 

PsycholgclMishap wrote:
True. Star Warriors and Trekkies are insane. haha. I mean come on. Remember when they started producing Star Trek chess sets? I mean really? It's a cool idea but a bit grandiose.

*hangs head in shame*

It was so awesome when I was a kid.

DoNotResuscitate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:36 pm 

CIMA wrote:
PsycholgclMishap wrote:

*hangs head in shame*

It was so awesome when I was a kid.

I never got into Star Wars and I only liked Star Trek when Whoopie was on. hahah. Watching the older Star Trek episodes with William Shatner is hilariously awesome though.

CIMA
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:49 pm 

PsycholgclMishap wrote:

I never got into Star Wars and I only liked Star Trek when Whoopie was on. hahah. Watching the older Star Trek episodes with William Shatner is hilariously awesome though.

The fights in the original Star Trek were funny. There was usually some sort of unthreathening grappling which they made seem life threatening ended by the one punch on the jaw. Redshirts were ALWAYS funny when they occured...you caught on that they were a target for death.

My dad used to say "Poor bastard...wearing that damn red shirt."

DoNotResuscitate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:00 pm 

Well, now that this thread has totally been derailed.

Any anime that deals with philosophy related topics?

death_headj
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:19 pm 

PsycholgclMishap wrote:
Any anime that deals with philosophy related topics?

Yes, indeed. Ergo Proxy comes to mind. A main point of philosophy in the series is the phrase "Cogito ergo sum," due to the fact that some android-like beings are becoming free-thinkers. Lots of other stuff in there too. Definitely worth checking out.

Last edited by death_headj on Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next