Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Epilogue
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:55 pm 

Hello errbody.

I recently aquired a Dual 1229 Turtable, wood base and all. At the first location it was at, everything worked. The cue control that I tested would, predictably, raise the tonearm. After I had it, I brought to my home, plugged it in, and put in Opeths' Watershed.

It was then I experienced some problems. One was that the cue control no longer worked. Second, when I would hit the automatic start/stop control, the tonearm would not raise until it would slam to the side of the platter. It swung to the record automatically, but it would not raise. The tonearm would also "skate" (or slide) all across the record until it got to its support when a record was done or I swung the switch to stop. It wouldn't even go onto its support; I had to lift it to set it atop of it and lock it down.

To try and fix it, I adjusted the weight, did the cue control adjustment screw, tried every which way on the anti skating knob...but still, nothing worked.

So, can anybody tell me how to fix this, knows if something fell out, or something? Any help would be appreciated.

By the way, a website on specs, if it helps.

http://www.dual-reference.com/tables/1229.htm

probert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:15 pm 

what the fuck, the only thing i could think of is your needle is fucked up. drag your finger across the bottom, is it still there?

Epilogue
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:23 pm 

Yeah, its still intact. Ive played several records and they sounded excellent, so the needle is fine....

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:35 pm 

I can't really answer your question, but since it's a topic about a turntable problem, I'll ask some question. Can I damage my vinyls if there is too much weight on my needle? Is it something I can notice easily like it does some weird sound, or if everything sounds ok then it's all ok? It's because I think it's not even the right weight that is showed due to mis manipulation at some time I can't even remember how it happened, just that it's not right.

probert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:38 pm 

Epilogue wrote:
Yeah, its still intact. Ive played several records and they sounded excellent, so the needle is fine....

is its only that one record that does it? its probably mad because its such a shit band ;D

Epilogue
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:39 pm 

Yes, a heavy needle will cut into the grooves in your record, making them more deep and thick. Im not sure what noise it would make, but it would not sound normal.

Epilogue
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:40 pm 

Opeth is awsome.

Anyway, nope, its every and any record.

probert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:40 pm 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
I can't really answer your question, but since it's a topic about a turntable problem, I'll ask some question. Can I damage my vinyls if there is too much weight on my needle? Is it something I can notice easily like it does some weird sound, or if everything sounds ok then it's all ok? It's because I think it's not even the right weight that is showed due to mis manipulation at some time I can't even remember how it happened, just that it's not right.

check the recent vinyl setup thread. as long as your needle is the only thing touching the record you should be fine, if your needle is weighted down enough for the cartridge holding the needle to be dragging across the vinyl then you have problems. i dont really understand your post. what kind of turntable do you have?

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:41 pm 

Epilogue wrote:
Yes, a heavy needle will cut into the grooves in your record, making them more deep and thick. Im not sure what noise it would make, but it would not sound normal.

Ok, so if the only thing I hear is my music and some parasite noises then it's supposed to be right I guess.

probert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:41 pm 

Epilogue wrote:
Opeth is awsome.

but you just said you played several records and they sounded fine? was this at the store?

probert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:42 pm 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
Epilogue wrote:

ignore this, it doesnt make sense.

Epilogue
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:46 pm 

probert wrote:
Epilogue wrote:
Opeth is awsome.

but you just said you played several records and they sounded fine? was this at the store?

Yeah, I do the arm manually now. Everything is fine, its just that the arm will not lift automatically, weather I try the cue control or the stop/start switch. It doesnt lift automatically, but it moves automatically towards/away from the record.

probert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:52 pm 

oh so the only problem youre having is with the autocue? when you autocue it does the need go on the record and then skate across it? and when you manually do it it plays normal? that is really weird. i only have one autocue turntable upstairs and it works like a charm. my real tables involve actually dropping the needle which really isnt a big deal :)

Epilogue
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:01 pm 

When the needle goes ON it, it plays all the way through a record. Then, when a record is done, my start/stop switch goes to stop, as should happen, and THEN the needle skates all across the record, because it isnt able to lift itself somehow.

When I put the needle on manually it plays fine too, but Im always careful to manually lift it off the record when it ends as well.

Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:05 pm 

I'm so old-school, I just have the up/down switch and the reject... guess it's a switch too, which I never use. It's an old 70ies I think turntable my father gave me. With my old Sony amplifier (you know, with the manual equalizer) which I bought off one of those dubious "we-have-tons-of-electronics-come" which smells like stolen things all around. Oh and speakers from my mother's old (well not so old compared to the other components) sound system.

probert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:07 pm 

oh, i see. thats shitty. definitely a mechanical problem on the inside. ive always had probs with the automatic stuff. i say just switch all the auto stuff off and do it manually.

Epilogue
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:11 pm 

Me and my grandfather tried looking underneath, but no no avail. I guess we'll have to try again soon or something.

probert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:14 pm 

is this your first turntable? cant you just take it back and show them the fuckup, get your money back and get another?

Epilogue
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:40 pm 

Ii was actually given to me by my moms boyfriend...for free.

probert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:47 pm 

ahh, score. ask him if hes ever had the problem, maybe he has and found a quick fix and in transport it just broke again.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:27 pm 

Just lift the needle and set it on the record. Don't use the automatic thing if it doesn't work.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.