Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
thrashmetalmelusky
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:37 pm 

What are some of your favorites and why?

AlbertMond
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:41 pm 

Hmmmm...
Well, one that I really like is "From Hell It Came". Super-campy movie about a killer tree. Hilarious. I've also always liked the 'Kaiju' and 'Giant Monster' genres. Things like "Godzilla", "Gamera", and "King Kong" are always amusing. I also like "Sleepaway Camp", mainly because the chick turns out to be a guy, somehow. Stephen King adaptions like "The Graveyard Shift" and "The Shining" are good. A lot of campy stuff with a lot of gore is great.

Smeg_head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:44 pm 

Suspiria by Dario Argento (1977) Just an utter classic horror film. Hope they don't make a remake tho think its in the works.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:46 pm 

My favorites are Halloween and Black Christmas, and if I have to tell you which versions, you might as well just get out of this thread now. :)

All sorts of horror movies can be done right; I'm still discovering new ones all the time. Even the shitty-ass modern ghost story stuff can be done right. A couple of my other favorites include Psycho, Pumpkinhead, Dellamorte Dellamore (not straight horror, but still), and some others.

AlbertMond
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:48 pm 

Forgot "Night of the Living Dead" last time.

thrashmetalmelusky
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:50 pm 

AlbertMond wrote:
The original, remake, or both?

Slagathjoor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:52 pm 

I really enjoy zombie movies, and rage zombie movies.

28 Days Later, is one of my favorite movies, 28 weeks later sucked so much in my opinion though. Dead Alive is an incredible movie, every horror fan should watch this. I also enjoy The Thing, The Exorcist, and the Friday the 13th movies.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:54 pm 

Smeg_head wrote:
Suspiria by Dario Argento (1977) Just an utter classic horror film. Hope they don't make a remake tho think its in the works.

I've seen it twice and I honestly don't get the appeal of it.

My favorites are The Thing, Hellraiser, Alien, and The Descent.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:54 pm 

The Descent is my favorite modern horror movie, and I doubt that's going to change for a while. High Tension is also great, and brutal as fuck. If it wasn't for the "twist" at the end it may have been my favorite.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:55 pm 

Shadoeking wrote:
My favorites are The Thing, Hellraiser, Alien, and The Descent.

All kick-ass movies, definitely. I liked Suspiria though, it was fun and creepy and mystical, definitely worth watching if not a bit incomplete. The zombie movies like Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead were both great, too. I like the silly ones like SLiTHER a lot, too, that movie rules.

AlbertMond
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:59 pm 

thrashmetalmelusky wrote:
AlbertMond wrote:
The original, remake, or both?

Original. Never seen the remake.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:06 pm 

I used to love watching horror theater programs on the tele. I liked this one cheapie film called Tourist Trap. It was like a Carrie/Texas Chainsaw Massacre hybrid starring Chuck Connors and Tanya Roberts. It's the one where some psycho can control manequinns and stalks teenagers. Didn't make much sense but as a kid, it was scary that way.

Hellrisen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:29 pm 

Phantasm is an incredible film. A great concept. Some of the effects might be pretty bad, but other than that it's a classic. The Exorcist is one of my favorites. The sequels aren't that good, but I like Max Von Sydow in the series. That film also has my favorite movie poster art too.

As far as zombie movies go, my personal favorite is Return of the Living Dead. Punk rock and zombies, two great tastes.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:30 pm 

Phantasm was like taking a trip through la-la land, if it was actually Hell. I've never done any hallucinogenic drugs, but I imagine that movie is what it would be like. It was good though.

Hellrisen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:32 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Phantasm was like taking a trip through la-la land, if it was actually Hell. I've never done any hallucinogenic drugs, but I imagine that movie is what it would be like. It was good though.

I think another thing that makes it so intriguing is the mortician character. I don't know what it is, but Angus Scrimm makes that film a lot more interesting.

The_Cyborg_Seadog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:33 pm 

The Wicker Man, not the shitty remake obviously.

Brilliant movie really, very cleverly written plus there's superb performances from Edward Woodward and Christopher Lee (the man is a legend). Britt Ekland's a highlight as well. Got to love the gruesome ending too.

Other than that: The Exorcist, The Shining, Dark Water (the Japanese one) and Battle Royale (for complete shits and giggles).

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:34 pm 

Hellrisen wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I think another thing that makes it so intriguing is the mortician character. I don't know what it is, but Angus Scrimm makes that film a lot more interesting.

I don't know; all I can say is that me and my girlfriend have made fun of the scene where the little orb thing stabs the guy and squirts out yellow blood through a hole in the other side ever since we watched it.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:35 pm 

My favorite is definitely 28 Days Later. I like everything about it, from the action scenes, to the violence & gore, the dialogues, the plot...
I liked 28 Weeks Later, the beginning was so intense, but then everything started falling. The story became ridiculous, with lots of plot holes and stupid things. I liked the action scenes though.

Others I like. The 'serious' ones include some of Romero's Movies (Diary of the Dead was horrible), Dracula, Ôdishon (Audition), Session 9, Rosemary's Baby, [Rec], The Blair Witch Project, Jaws, The Shining, The Exorcist, Sleepy Hollow, Let the Right One In, Cannibal Holocaust (the only 'cannibal movie' that has somewhat a real, interesting plot).

Other less 'serious' or comedic ones, Dellamorte Dellamore, From Dusk Till Dawn, Braindead, Bad Taste, Planet Terror, the Evil Dead movies.

LouFerrigno
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:04 pm 

28 Days Later was very hip but scary not so much. Sequl was good but not as good as part 1.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:24 pm 

My downright favourites are Alien/s, both on a par. I remember watching Aliens as a child and it scared the living shit out of me. It took me several years to re-watch it and when I did, damn! I love its non-stop action approach after the first hour or so, which completely contrasted the slow pace of the first. Both are claustrophobic and contain an edge which many films have tried to emulate. ALSO, first real female heroine - Ripley. She's so bad ass its unreal. Weaver does a fantastic job in the lead role, completely overshadowing her male counterparts and her other roles. The tag line says it all really, "In space no one can hear you scream." Aliens, bar T2 and Before Sunset, is one of the best sequels in my mind.

As well as that ... Stephen Kings IT. Everyone knows it and the majority of people shat themselves over it. I watched it, again, as a child and it struck utter fear into me. I don't mind clowns at all, but Pennywise freaked me out, him and his sewer dwelling. Oddly, I noticed a band on here the other day who's lyrics and songs are based around IT.

Another film that always scared me as a child, Child's Play. As a child, the concept of a toy becoming the home to an evil mans spirit is always bound to be frightening. Chucky was and still is a bad-ass-hip-down-to-earth-freak who is out to possess and take over your body.

Of course, the classic ... Night of the Living Dead. Love the original, though I find it mildly amusing that they still managed to kill off the only black character who went through an ordeal to survive and frankly, deserved to survive. Its suspenseful without having much actual zombie action.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:34 pm 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
My downright favourites are Alien/s, both on a par. I remember watching Aliens as a child and it scared the living shit out of me. It took me several years to re-watch it and when I did, damn! I love its non-stop action approach after the first hour or so, which completely contrasted the slow pace of the first. Both are claustrophobic and contain an edge which many films have tried to emulate. ALSO, first real female heroine - Ripley. She's so bad ass its unreal. Weaver does a fantastic job in the lead role, completely overshadowing her male counterparts and her other roles. The tag line says it all really, "In space no one can hear you scream." Aliens, bar T2 and Before Sunset, is one of the best sequels in my mind.

I fucking love those movies. And talking about contrasting pace, one thing that killed me that the 3 sucked so bad to kill the series without a shade of hope to redemption, is that from what I've seen of what the movie would have been, it would be another progression. It's not Alien 3 but Alien (3) - well you understand - like it's not alien 2 but aliens. That's subtle but it's meaningful. In Alien we discovered the alien, the movie showed us a little about how it worked, it was one crew without weapons against it. In Aliens, it's payback time and we send a squad. It takes a step forward. Alien 3 would have taken things to another higher scale. Instead they just do a bad and thumbed down rehash of the first while killing in the most amateurish way characters who COULDN'T die - hell we could have another heroine even more badass than Ripley. At least just the idea for one of them would have been to repugnant to any script writer who didn't want the fall of the series.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:48 pm 

I suppose it must be terrible of me to actually like the 3rd and 4th installments? :) I really do! I can't deny it. I love the Alien 3. I thought it was different and had a dramatic ending, which I didn't particularly like (as I wanted Ripley to survive) but it worked well. It had an unusual pace, wasn't dictated by any one character and the alien design was impressive. Having said that, I HATED the fact that they killed of Newt and, in particular, Hicks. I loved Hicks (though Hudson was great too).

Which reminds me, another reason why Aliens was so good was because of the characters and their development. I loved the way Hudson went from being an arrogant know-it all, to a complete wreck, then to a supreme bad ass when he died (loved his death). I also loved the way in which Gorman and Vasquez died, very touching.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:01 pm 

Yeah and it's something alien 3 and 4 lacked, character development. About Newt, I could so much see her as a 19 old chick, veteran of the Aliens be part of some other alien movie, with Ripley and Hicks maybe still around. Ripley could die but not Newt. And you could clearly see at the end of aliens ripley and hicks getting together and having newt with them. It was evident, that thing alone made me hate alien 3 so much, it's true that it wasn't THAT bad.

A thing I thought strange about alien 3, is how the most interesting characters died... Clemence was just beginning to revel himself and gets killed.

As for Alien 4, I actually enjoyed. Just the fact that the alien series was already dead to me made it so much better. And I had a thought about the 3 and 4, they could almost continue the series where alien 3 and 4 are just bad dreams ripley had. It could give the movies so much more credibility and enjoyment. How everything was done sloppily in the 3rd or how things were... almost campy in the 4rth.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:09 pm 

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
Yeah and it's something alien 3 and 4 lacked, character development. About Newt, I could so much see her as a 19 old chick, veteran of the Aliens be part of some other alien movie, with Ripley and Hicks maybe still around. Ripley could die but not Newt. And you could clearly see at the end of aliens ripley and hicks getting together and having newt with them. It was evident, that thing alone made me hate alien 3 so much, it's true that it wasn't THAT bad.

A thing I thought strange about alien 3, is how the most interesting characters died... Clemence was just beginning to revel himself and gets killed.

As for Alien 4, I actually enjoyed. Just the fact that the alien series was already dead to me made it so much better. And I had a thought about the 3 and 4, they could almost continue the series where alien 3 and 4 are just bad dreams ripley had. It could give the movies so much more credibility and enjoyment. How everything was done sloppily in the 3rd or how things were... almost campy in the 4rth.

In the extended version (or original version) of the Aliens movie, it would appear that Ripley and Hicks do form some sort of relationship out of the chaos. They're certainly flirting and getting very close, especially when they revealed each others names to one another.

I agree with you, the interesting characters did die off quickly. I liked Dillon. His death was typical of his character. The ending of the 4th was just tragically bad, though I do like the rest of the movie, up until that point. Neither the 3rd (though it did more so than the 4th) or the 4th had that same scary element to it, which was unfortunate.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:11 pm 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
Another film that always scared me as a child, Child's Play. As a child, the concept of a toy becoming the home to an evil mans spirit is always bound to be frightening. Chucky was and still is a bad-ass-hip-down-to-earth-freak who is out to possess and take over your body.

Aw yeah, I liked that one. I need to watch it again someday - probably this Halloween along with TCM for the second time.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:31 pm 

Its on YouTube, I believe. Really must buy it on DVD at some stage. As well as the Nightmare on Elm Street movies. :)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:34 pm 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
Its on YouTube, I believe. Really must buy it on DVD at some stage. As well as the Nightmare on Elm Street movies. :)

Only buy the first three Nightmare movies. :)

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:38 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Perplexed_Sjel wrote:

I used to love the 4th. :(

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:40 pm 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Perplexed_Sjel wrote:

I used to love the 4th. :(

Yeah, me too...then I watched it again after a long time of not seeing it and realized it had no longevity. I guess that wasn't the point though.

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:34 am 

Top 5 are:

01. "Jaws"
02. "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" ('74)
03. "Day of the Dead"
04. "Dawn of the Dead" ('78)
05. "Zombie" ('79)

After that, pretty much anything by Lucio Fulci!!

Dario Argento, Takashi Miike, Stuart Gordon are all very good as well. Some of the earlier Craven films, and Paul Naschy if you camp done right... I could go on....

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:42 am 

I like more or less everything between the 70s and the 80s because now the horror films are just gore and nothing more...

I like old Dario Argento, Pupi Avati, Helloween, Friday the 13th and horror/thrillers. I also like films like Piranha and Tremors.

Karnstein_Records
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:08 am 

Nightmare on Elm Street I, III and New Nightmare
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original obviously)
Sleepaway Camp
Them
Twins of Evil
The Exorcist
King Kong (original)
Night of the Living Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Day of the Dead
Waxworks
Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Creep Show

There are too many to name really

Karnstein Records
www.karnsteinrecords.com

Karnstein_Records
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:09 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Perplexed_Sjel wrote:

Skip the second one.

Karnstein Records
www.karnsteinrecords.com

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:31 am 

EVIL FUCKING DEAD.

Probably my favorite movies of all time. The last one's not really a horror film but they are all great films.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:34 am 

Hellrisen wrote:
As far as zombie movies go, my personal favorite is Return of the Living Dead. Punk rock and zombies, two great tastes.

I've always liked this movie, even though it's a bit ill-received.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:24 am 

Karnstein_Records wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Perplexed_Sjel wrote:

Skip the second one.

It's not bad. Better than the fourth and fifth, I say.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:25 am 

Nolan_B wrote:
Hellrisen wrote:

I've always liked this movie, even though it's a bit ill-received.

This used to scare me when i was younger. Too bad 2 and 3 have had shitty dvd releases and 4 and 5 were shit.

LouFerrigno
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:33 am 

Zombies aren't scary or original anymore. They're slow and stupid and few movies know what to do with them now for a plot.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:33 am 

I used to love the Aliens stuff, even to the extent that I read the comics when I was 12-15 years old. I liked the third one, but there were rumors before it came out that it would be about the Aliens getting to Earth. That would have been much more interesting.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:33 am 

LouFerrigno wrote:
Zombies aren't scary or original anymore. They're slow and stupid and few movies know what to do with them now for a plot.

Not really, since a fair few movies are now making zombies intelligent and fast.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next