Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:03 am 

Definitely get a DSLR, batman. Those pics exhibit great sense for their subjects. It'll certainly be a worthwhile investment for you.

I especially like the Umeda building one. Took me a while to figure out what I was looking at.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:22 am 

Hmm, I think that'd be quite a big jump up in price. I'd have to see what I could put together budget-wise before my Vietnam trip this summer...

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:03 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Found some extra photos from my New Zealand trip around this time last year. These were taken off the coast near a seal and penguin sanctuary south east of Dunedin.
Welcome to Australia, home of endless beaches, rugged coastline, gin clear esturine waters and fucking dinosaurs. From our recent 1200km camping holiday up the north east coast of New South Wales on our way to Queensland.

iamntbatman wrote:
Alright, as promised, here are some Japan photos:

Cool ones, guys!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:02 pm 

Very romantic. Neat!

Some flat mud (thumbnail link for size):

I actually managed to somehow expose this for 30 seconds with a gorrillapod in rather windy conditions.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:48 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Very romantic. Neat!
Some flat mud (thumbnail link for size):
I actually managed to somehow expose this for 30 seconds with a gorrillapod in rather windy conditions.

Cool! :thumbsup:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:33 pm 

Neat picture!

So after a bit of research I've reached the conclusion that basically any point-and-shoot worth spending any money on as any sort of reasonable upgrade over a decent smartphone camera is gonna be like, $400 or so, and at that point you're damn near decent entry level DSLR territory. Soooo...anyone have any suggestions for entry level DSLR? I'm just kicking around the idea for now, no idea if something like that is in the budgetary cards just yet, but I wouldn't wanna spend more than like $600 on a basic kit I guess. From what I've read it seems like people are saying Canon is better for weddings and portraits and Nikon is better for nature/landscapes? I don't care a ton about action stuff like sports. I also don't care a huge amount about the specific camera features; basically I guess I just want a good sensor and a solidly built body with a decent kit lens that I can later upgrade by buying better lenses.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:35 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
So after a bit of research I've reached the conclusion that basically any point-and-shoot worth spending any money on as any sort of reasonable upgrade over a decent smartphone camera is gonna be like, $400 or so, and at that point you're damn near decent entry level DSLR territory. Soooo...anyone have any suggestions for entry level DSLR? I'm just kicking around the idea for now, no idea if something like that is in the budgetary cards just yet, but I wouldn't wanna spend more than like $600 on a basic kit I guess. From what I've read it seems like people are saying Canon is better for weddings and portraits and Nikon is better for nature/landscapes? I don't care a ton about action stuff like sports. I also don't care a huge amount about the specific camera features; basically I guess I just want a good sensor and a solidly built body with a decent kit lens that I can later upgrade by buying better lenses.

I'm in this situation too.
I NEVER could use phone cameras (http://viviendoapesardelacrisis.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/idiotphones.html), I HATE them.
My Canon IXUS 240 HS (http://www.canon.es/for_home/product_finder/cameras/digital_camera/ixus/ixus_240_hs/) works REALLY well for me but, sometimes, I would like more zoom and sensitibity with low light:

I have been looking for a cheap Canon EOS 1100D (http://www.canon.es/for_home/product_finder/cameras/digital_slr/eos_1100d/) lately but I don't see myself carrying it around:

I don't know. Maybe in the future.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:10 am 

You could always get a mirrorless system camera if you want something less clunky. They're as good as DSLRs these days with bodies no bigger than point'n'shoots (naturally the size of the lens depends on what you want out of it), only they don't have optical through-the-lens viewfinders obviously, and the displays eat your batteries faster.

I still have my first DSLR, a Canon 550D, which is now 6 years old or so, and I never bought a seperate lens myself (I inherited two old lenses from my uncle), so I'm afraid I don't really have any buying recommendations.

My only tip is to keep in mind that the lens is the most important part of your camera. Cameras come and go, lenses stay good for decades!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:37 am 

Yeah honestly a lot of the travel I do involves waking up super early and not getting back to a hotel room until late at night, so I'd rather have battery life than portability to be honest. I don't really mind carrying around a big clunky camera.

Decisions, decisions...my photographer sister just told me she thinks the Canon Powershot point-and-shoot she uses all the time at her job takes pictures that look just as nice as her DSLR, excepting macro shots or whatever. Right now I'm really looking hard at the Nikon D3300...looks like a pretty solid camera and perhaps affordable. Or maybe the D5300...about $35 more, with the biggest draw there being the swivel screen. I can't think of any immediate reason why I'd need that, other than knowing at some point way down the line I'll be trying to take some annoying shot where I can't see through the viewfinder and will be kicking myself for not spending that extra $35.

Edit: Ok, now I'm seriously thinking about the Sony a5100...maybe slightly more expensive than the D3300 but the image quality is just about the same, it has the super useful zoom control plus the touchscreen autofocus/tracking are super cool and it's just a way, way smaller camera. Plus I can buy new lenses. Yeah...this is looking like the winner I guess.

Edit2: Alright, I think I'm really settled on that a5100. Kind of a bummer that the battery life isn't quite as good, and not having the optical viewfinder could potentially be annoying in really sunny shooting conditions, but essentially everything else about the camera makes it seem like a superior choice to the D3300 or even the D5300. Now I just gotta see if I can swing buying this thing before I go to Jeju Island for a weekend in April...definitely making it happen before Vietnam, though, and I'd like to have it ready to go for cherry blossom season this spring, too.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:09 am 

inhumanist wrote:
You could always get a mirrorless system camera if you want something less clunky. They're as good as DSLRs these days with bodies no bigger than point'n'shoots (naturally the size of the lens depends on what you want out of it), only they don't have optical through-the-lens viewfinders obviously, and the displays eat your batteries faster.

iamntbatman wrote:
Yeah honestly a lot of the travel I do involves waking up super early and not getting back to a hotel room until late at night, so I'd rather have battery life than portability to be honest. I don't really mind carrying around a big clunky camera.

Thanks, guys!
I don't know but I'm not in a hurry so, time will tell.

Shitty cellphone camera photo:

Spoiler: show

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:34 am 

@iamntbatman: Regarding the a5100, I noticed it lacks a flash mount. Note that if you ever want to try your hands at portrait photography (or other indoor stuff) that will be a serious limitation, because it's not only where you can connect a flash with a rotatable head but also where you can connect a cable or wireless system for using such a flash externally. There are passive flashs that trigger when they detect another flash, but then you still have to do shenanigans with paper pasted in front of your internal flash to avoid frontal lighting (which is always the worst kind of lighting).

Just pointing that out for consideration.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:01 am 

I don't really care that much about portrait photography. People are lame! Also, the a5100 has a pop-up flash that's on a flexible arm thing, so you can tilt it back with your finger to bounce it. Not as good as a real hot shoe or whatever but ehhh. Not at all a priority for me.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:34 pm 

Alright, got the Sony a5100. Snagged it with a fast 32GB memory card, bag, UV filter, one of those mini gorilla tripods, a proper tripod, the 16-50mm Sony powered lens, and an extra battery for $620. Kind of nerve-wracking actually making that purchase but I'm excited to play with it.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:17 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Alright, got the Sony a5100. Snagged it with a fast 32GB memory card, bag, UV filter, one of those mini gorilla tripods, a proper tripod, the 16-50mm Sony powered lens, and an extra battery for $620. Kind of nerve-wracking actually making that purchase but I'm excited to play with it.

Good deal! Looking forward to seeing some pics from it.

My Fuji MX-1 actually took me a while to get the full potential out of, i thought i had it sussed straight away but there is always different techniques to learn, and it's just a mid range camera.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:20 am 

Here's a few from some different occasions this summer

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:07 am 

Small vacation in Andalusia. All pics taken with a Sony Xperia Z2 mobile and already converted to a reasonable size and resolution.

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:14 am 

2nd part of Andalusia

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:24 am 

@iamntbatman: That actually sounds like a pretty decent price.

@Southern Freeze: Really amazing shots!

@peterott: Neat, Andalusia looks like a fascinating country.

Here's a thing I took in a park, and then fubar'd in post-processing:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:54 pm 

Southern Freeze those are amazing. Are you bloodycumshit btw? I approve of this name change, haha.

peterott that place looks awesome. I really dig your indoor shots especially.

Very cool photo inhumanist. I love taking shots like that.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:40 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Southern Freeze those are amazing. Are you bloodycumshit btw?

Thanks and yes.

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:35 am 

Thank you. The indoor pictures were taken at the Al-Hambra in Granada, the Alcazaba in Sevilla and some churches in Sevilla (cathedral and an other church if I remember right). I have heaps of pics from inside Al-Hambra nd Alcazaba. The whole architecture and decoration from 12th-16th century was a pleasure for the eyes.

Andalusia is a fantastic place to visit and nearly no tourists in February except few Chinese and French people. Also the temperature with 15-25°C was perfect with just a single day of rain. Completely different in summer with heaps of tourists and 35° or even more which is not my world. When I went back from Seville through the sierras to Barcelona in order to fly back home there was a cold period coming with snow in the sierras and e.g. -5°C in Granada, so I had good luck the first 2.5 weeks.

I recommend to skip the coast. I took in Barcelona a rental car and wanted to drive along the coast until Cádiz. I skipped that idea when travelling from Almería to Granada and went with the car through the sierras over Granada, Ronda and came back to the coast at Tarife (skipped Malaga). Was fun to drive through the hills without snow at that time (still +5°C on 1.200-1.400m).

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:18 am 

No pretty landscapes just yet but man, am I ever happy with this camera:

Those were all taken with the out-of-the-box intelligent auto mode and the kit lens. If I ever figure out how to shoot manually this thing could be a real monster I think.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:36 pm 

Cool pics.

Shooting manually isn't that hard, and I definitely recommend it. Aperture should only be determined by the desired depth of field, with f/8 or smaller (f/11 is smaller!) being useful for most landscape photography (f/7 with 50mm is for portraits). When the aperture gets too small, you get diffraction which creates a soft light effect around edges. When shooting hand held pics, there is a neat rule of thumb that your maximum exposure time should be 1 second divided by your focal length in millimeters. ISO is what you increase only if you don't get enough light with the aforementioned exposure time. In daylight, ISO100 is what you use by default.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:05 pm 

I never really play around with ISO, the camera does a good job at adjusting to the right ISO automatically. I just use the aperture and shutter.
Or w/s is fun too

Last edited by Southern Freeze on Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:34 am 

Sorry, kind of breaking thread rules again, but man, I really couldn't be happier with this camera.

I'm due to head to some tiny village in the middle of nowhere in the foothills of one of Korea's tallest three mountains this upcoming weekend, hopefully coinciding with the peak of cherry blossom season, so hopefully I'll have some more nature-y photos for you guys soon!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:21 am 

Hmm this is becoming the "batman's photo blog thread" kind of...got an absolute ton of photos to go through from this weekend, including a few I'm really proud of, but hopefully I'll have some to post in the next few days.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:55 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Shitty cellphone camera photo:

Same photo with my camera:

iamntbatman wrote:

Cool! I'm REALLY thinking about it too.

Southern Freeze wrote:
Here's a few from some different occasions this summer

peterott wrote:
Small vacation in Andalusia. All pics taken with a Sony Xperia Z2 mobile and already converted to a reasonable size and resolution.

Amazing ones!

inhumanist wrote:
@peterott: Neat, Andalusia looks like a fascinating country.

Not a country but...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andalusia
Ok.

peterott wrote:
I recommend to skip the coast. I took in Barcelona a rental car and wanted to drive along the coast until Cádiz. I skipped that idea when travelling from Almería to Granada and went with the car through the sierras over Granada, Ronda and came back to the coast at Tarife (skipped Malaga). Was fun to drive through the hills without snow at that time (still +5°C on 1.200-1.400m).

Driving top down throught the olive groves in summer was magic!
http://clubhondaspirit.com/foro/topic/112182-carreteras-para-disfrutar-de-un-coche-como-el-s/page__st__20#entry1840820
http://clubhondaspirit.com/foro/topic/110578-primera-entrada-a-circuito-ascari-2011/

Ok, from this last trip to Galicia:
http://viviendoapesardelacrisis.blogspot.com.es/2016/03/escapada-galicia.html

More to come.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:30 pm 

Those darker inside/night pictures look awesome, dude!

Ok, as promised, here are some actual nature-y/landscape photos. These were all taken in and around Hwagae, a tiny town in the south of Korea, and on the slops of Jirisan, the tallest mountain in mainland South Korea (only Hallasan, a volcano on Jeju Island, is taller). Lots and lots of images, sorry!

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:08 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Those darker inside/night pictures look awesome, dude!
Ok, as promised, here are some actual nature-y/landscape photos. These were all taken in and around Hwagae, a tiny town in the south of Korea, and on the slops of Jirisan, the tallest mountain in mainland South Korea (only Hallasan, a volcano on Jeju Island, is taller). Lots and lots of images, sorry!

Thanks! How are you doing with the new camera and all the manual options?

Playing around with the manual options menu (AF and exposure) of mine:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:37 pm 

Great photos! Lots of those posted above were done with some manner of manual. I didn't see much purpose in manual focus for stationary subjects, but I did some messing around with shutter, aperture, ISO and exposure offset (the last mostly for those long-exposure flowing water shots). I'm really, really liking the camera. I've gotten some solid use out of the WiFi remote app too.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:48 am 

A couple of random ones, from the forest to the sea.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:56 am 

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:31 am 

Cool photos, Southern Freeze and drone. I fuckin' love moss so I could just stare at photos like that all day. I also find myself taking lots of pictures aimed up at trees these days, hah.

I've got trips booked to Vietnam and Yakushima, Japan for later this year, so maybe there are some more photos in the pipeline!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:37 am 

HDR-shenanigans:

iamntbatman wrote:

Pretty cool. Which program do you use for panorama stitching?

Quote:

Awesome atmosphere.

Quote:

We have a street here with tons of cherry trees that are going mad right now. I wanna do some pics but at any given moment it's filled with Asian tourists. You'd probably have to get up before 7 AM so it probably won't happen.

BasqueStorm wrote:

I like this one, it has this mystical cold early morning atmosphere.

Southern Freeze wrote:

Makes me wanna listen to some Varathron.

droneriot wrote:

Neat. This kind of pic is hard to do right.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:33 am 

I think that kind of pic only really works when you're lucky enough to be in the right place when the sun is half-shining through a thinly overcast sky. Even in Northern Germany it doesn't happen too often (usually our overcast skies mean there isn't any trace of the sun to be seen for at least a week or two.)

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:17 am 

Then again, the greater the contrast between bright sky and dark trees, the less detail you'll have in trees, sky, or both (due to under/overexposure). Ideally you want to have the least bright patch of the sky as background, or brighten up the trees with a flash (which is near-impossible to do in a non-sucky way). If the sun needs to be on the picture, I'd use a tripod to take a bunch of bracketing shots for HDR merging, and dig out the details in post-processing.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:17 am 

southern freeze, water shots are nice- got any that barrel a bit more? :)

quick snap. Man I love having a half decent phone camera again.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:34 am 

inhumanist wrote:

None actually! That's the in-camera pano mode.

Makino
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:39 am 

caspian wrote:
southern freeze, water shots are nice- got any that barrel a bit more? :)

quick snap. Man I love having a half decent phone camera again.

You took that with a phone camera? Mine has trouble focusing on a face 5 feet from me. :lol:

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:01 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Great photos! Lots of those posted above were done with some manner of manual. I didn't see much purpose in manual focus for stationary subjects, but I did some messing around with shutter, aperture, ISO and exposure offset (the last mostly for those long-exposure flowing water shots). I'm really, really liking the camera. I've gotten some solid use out of the WiFi remote app too.

But i does have some sense for stationary too depending on what you want to focus. For more artsy photos, I suppose.
Man, I'm jealous of your camera!

inhumanist wrote:
BasqueStorm wrote:

I like this one, it has this mystical cold early morning atmosphere.

You can use Canon Photostitch, for example.
Thanks! I can't see what you're referring to at work but I'll check out later.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 50  Next