Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Hawksword192
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:24 am 

Interested in hearing opinions of Hawkwind since recently I seem to keep running into awesome material no matter which era. Personally, I'm a big fan of the Robert Calvert years due to his poetic space themed lyrics, especially on Quark, Strangeness and Charm. A close second for me is Live Chronicles due to Huw Lloyd-Langton's leads and vocals, Alan Davey's loud and booming bass, and Dave Brock's rhythm. I think they all combine together to create a good catchy rock n' roll album.

So, anybody else a fan of the diverse but always good Hawkwind?

PhantomGreen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:08 am 

No, but I have been hearing a lot about them lately, wouldn't mind checking 'em out, Wheres the best place to start?

mea navis aëricumbens anguillis abundat

Hawksword192
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:59 am 

Like I said, I'm biased. I would say start with Quark, Strangeness and Charm because of Robert Calvert. Other good places to start are Warrior on the Edge of Time and Space Ritual for both the whole space vibe they had in the 70's as well as for having Lemmy on bass.

NecroSonata
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:34 am 

Warrior on the Edge of Time is amazingly awesome! There's so much Hawkwind though, I've only really explored a few albums.

Check out some WotEoT though, love Magnu so much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKOQ0BzEZ6k

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:00 pm 

PhantomGreen wrote:
No, but I have been hearing a lot about them lately, wouldn't mind checking 'em out, Wheres the best place to start?
I started with Space Ritual, and it was an excellent introduction. I still like it the best. It manages to capture the spirit of Hawkwind perfectly, and possibly does even more so than the actual studio albums. The atmosphere is amazing.

DunnRiffHorror_EHSB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:04 pm 

Love me some Hawkwind. Space Ritual and Hall Of The Mountain Grill would be good to start with.

adders11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:05 am 

I love their '70's material, especially In Search Of Space and Hall Of The Mountain Grill, but I never really liked any of their other stuff.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:59 am 

Yeah, you know, the Bob Calvert era seems a bit underrepresented/unsung these days, what with the albums being out of print for a logn time (I think)..but while at first I wasn't as fond of it as I was enamoured with the early 70s stuff, I've recently grown to really like this incarnation of the band. I think it's funny that crazy Bob Calvert was the only guy in the band who didn't do any drugs.

Quark is a really good album, if a bit too short. Doremi Fassol Latido is an absolute favourite of mine..though I love Space RItual I don't think the versions there really replace the studio ones, and of course you also get beautiful renditions of "Space is Deep" and Lemmy's acoustic song, "The Watcher", which would turn into a dirty Motorhead tune later on.

Of the 80s and beyond stuff...well, yes, Live CHronicles has its moments, but in general doesn't thrill me too much. Levitation is a good album though, and I even have some fondness for CHoose your Masks, even though they butchered the retoolings of "Silver Machine" and "Psychedelic Warlords". Space Bandits is another one I quite enjoy.

They have a lot of live albums. I'd like to start collecting the better ones.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

PhantomOTO
Exterminator 666 Does Not Answer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:27 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Quark is a really good album, if a bit too short. Doremi Fassol Latido is an absolute favourite of mine..though I love Space RItual I don't think the versions there really replace the studio ones, and of course you also get beautiful renditions of "Space is Deep" and Lemmy's acoustic song, "The Watcher", which would turn into a dirty Motorhead tune later on.

Also, there's the little segue track "One Change" on Doremi... which is really pretty and gets me every time. Plus, if you have the reissue, you have "Urban Guerilla" which is fantastic.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:04 pm 

PhantomOTO wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:

Also, there's the little segue track "One Change" on Doremi... which is really pretty and gets me every time. Plus, if you have the reissue, you have "Urban Guerilla" which is fantastic.

I really like "Ejection", too...that's one hell of a riff.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.