Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 375103
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:28 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Interesting, Betelgeuze's brightness has suddenly dropped to the lowest since measurements began.

Betelgeuse is a red supergiant variable star, its brightness varies…or maybe it will soon die in supernova…
Betelgeuse is ~700 light-years away from us, maybe the explosion has already occurred?
I can sometimes see the Winter Triangle when the sky is clear from my window at night with Betelgeuse, Sirius and Procyon.

Last edited by ~Guest 375103 on Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:36 pm 

Sometimes? I see it every day.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

~Guest 375103
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:20 am 

droneriot wrote:
Sometimes? I see it every day.

Lucky you! The sky is often very cloudy where I live but when the sky is clear, it's wonderful.

Last edited by ~Guest 375103 on Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:18 am 

Well it's cloudy a lot here too but I think what's more important is that there are no big cities in this region so light pollution is very low. Like the gold standard (as far as I see it) for light pollution is if you can see the Milky Way on a clear day and if I step outside the streets with streetlights and into the dark it's there on a clear day.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:57 pm 

Bringing the space thread back - because - Elon strikes again, and SpaceX is going to be flying men to the ISS :D

After that, human-rated and all, it's not such a far leap to the red planet, hopefully.

Me buying that 'Occupy Mars' t-shirt obviously made all the difference...

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/04/spacexs-crew-dragon-gets-a-launch-date-may-27th/

Timeghoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:33 am 

I believe they are also involved in getting Tom Cruise to the space station. I hate Tom Cruise, but its pretty interesting that he is going to be on the ISS recording a movie.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tom-cruise-international-space-station-movie/

Quote:
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:26 am 

Timeghoul wrote:
I believe they are also involved in getting Tom Cruise to the space station. I hate Tom Cruise, but its pretty interesting that he is going to be on the ISS recording a movie.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tom-cruise-international-space-station-movie/

I saw that article - absolutely cool as hell - Tom Cruise is the right person for that, doing all of his own stunts as he does. At least whatever he does will be fun.

Face_your_fear_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 3:01 am 

Yikes. If we hopped aboard the space shuttle discovery, which can travel 5 miles a second, it would take us about 37,200 years to go one light-year. Walking? That would take us some 225 million years (that’s assuming that you managed a constant speed of 20 minutes for every mile and didn’t stop for any bathroom breaks…it would be a little trying, to say the least, especially when one considers that modern humans have only been around for about 200,000 years. Why am I bringing this up a person probably will ask? I don't know but just thought it was kind of interesting.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:37 am 

In a nice double-shot of good science & tech news -

After the success of the second Crew Dragon test, SpaceX will be launching again tonight - this time a new batch of Starlink satellites. https://www.spacex.com/launches/

Elon & co. have secured testing of the Starlink system with the US Army, and provisional testing in Canada, the northern US, and Germany later this year / early next year.

The aim for the Starlink system is to dominate satellite internet provision, providing a service better and more cost effective (for the consumer) than current providers can manage. The aim here is to dominate that market in the same way that Falcon 9 now has c.70% of the commercial space launch market, and use the financial gains to fund the ongoing build of the Mars-bound Starship.

Happily, the latest Starship component prototype that exploded did so because of poor ground-equipment handling, rather than anything wrong with the rocket itself.

Good time to be into space stuff !

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:22 pm 

Face_your_fear_79 wrote:
Yikes. If we hopped aboard the space shuttle discovery, which can travel 5 miles a second, it would take us about 37,200 years to go one light-year. Walking? That would take us some 225 million years (that’s assuming that you managed a constant speed of 20 minutes for every mile and didn’t stop for any bathroom breaks…it would be a little trying, to say the least, especially when one considers that modern humans have only been around for about 200,000 years. Why am I bringing this up a person probably will ask? I don't know but just thought it was kind of interesting.

The fastest man-made object ever, the Parker Solar Probe, can make a light year in 50 years at its current speed, which would be 200 years to Proxima Centauri. That's actually not so bad.

Face_your_fear_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:10 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Face_your_fear_79 wrote:

The fastest man-made object ever, the Parker Solar Probe, can make a light year in 50 years at its current speed, which would be 200 years to Proxima Centauri. That's actually not so bad.

Solid point. I didn't think of this that way. Not real bad. Whoosh.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:06 am 

Face_your_fear_79 wrote:
droneriot wrote:
Face_your_fear_79 wrote:

Solid point. I didn't think of this that way. Not real bad. Whoosh.

That probe will do 40,000mph (!) and use Venus' gravity to manage it's orbit. Amazing piece of kit.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:46 am 

What? It's current speed is 244,000mph.

https://www.space.com/parker-solar-prob ... flyby.html

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:07 am 

droneriot wrote:
What? It's current speed is 244,000mph.

https://www.space.com/parker-solar-prob ... flyby.html

Yep, I missed off a zero - it's maximum velocity relative to the sun will be in the region of 400,000 mph

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21