Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ptsc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:07 pm 

I hope this is the right spot to place a non-metal related question like this. Anyway, I've just been thinking a lot about how people change through the years. How one begins (in the best case scenario) as an enthusiastic kid believing that he is closer to the stars. Until that moment when he collides with a sheer number of external perspectives and then things get complicated.

Still, what would your answer be and what prevents you to become what you really want in the first place.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:42 pm 

A film director.

I've wrote/directed a handful of short films, and had acted in/produced a few more. I've had (very, very) moderate success, winning a few small awards and getting into some really great festivals. However, there is no money in it, and I've (to this date) been unable to land a grant/funding for my projects. Hopefully my next one will have some backing, as I've been in communication with some Canadian government funding programs.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:40 pm 

Metal promoter slash producer. I'd be the goddamn Phil Spector of metal. And none of the modern watered down accessible shit either.

I haven't the faintest idea how to promote or produce, but I'm assuming your OP implies the magic acquisition of the required abilities.

ptsc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:33 am 

It's very interesting to see how and why people shift their view on what's possible to do with their life between their childhood and their adulthood.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:13 am 

jimbies wrote:
A film director.

I've wrote/directed a handful of short films, and had acted in/produced a few more. I've had (very, very) moderate success, winning a few small awards and getting into some really great festivals. However, there is no money in it, and I've (to this date) been unable to land a grant/funding for my projects. Hopefully my next one will have some backing, as I've been in communication with some Canadian government funding programs.

My brother was the same, he even tried it for many years, but last year he finally decided to just get a regular job. He keeps the dream but realised how overwhelming the obstacles are.

Mellifleur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:21 pm 

I'd like to live in mountain cabin with goats and chickens and make a living doing calligraphy on commission. What holds me back is fear of not being able to pay off my student loans and also the regular cravings I get for the kind of falafal you can only get from greasy trucks parked in front of the med center downtown. :lol:

ptsc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:26 pm 

droneriot wrote:
jimbies wrote:
A film director.

My brother was the same, he even tried it for many years, but last year he finally decided to just get a regular job. He keeps the dream but realised how overwhelming the obstacles are.

If I could, I'd ask your brother one question - isn't it even harder to not pursue your dreams, though?

Mellifleur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:29 pm 

A lot of people *have* to work some crappy day job just to get by, to take care of their families. Sometimes folks gotta delay things, but it doesn't mean they have given them up entirely! It's good to be prepared for unexpectedly good things to happen as much as it is to be prepared for unexpectedly bad things. :)

Osore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:39 pm 

My dream was to become a successful creative writer and to live from my books. When I realised how unrealistic that was, I took more scientific path in education. Now I see myself as biologist only on paper; my intrinsic personality will forever be artistic. Biology is great indeed, I'm just overwhelmed with it.

Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:50 pm 

Well known graphic novelist in the vein of Alan Moore.

Currently working on that.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:03 pm 

ptsc wrote:
droneriot wrote:
jimbies wrote:
A film director.

If I could, I'd ask your brother one question - isn't it even harder to not pursue your dreams, though?

Oh, it's VERY difficult, and luckily, Canada is one of the better countries to get government funding for projects. I can't imagine how much artistic people in other countries struggle. When you have no budget, you're at the mercy of other people's kindness and generosity; people working for you just for the love of the project and craft, which absolutely has it's pros as well. I feel fortunate just for the experience I've been able to create for myself.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:26 pm 

for what it's worth, I've seen some of jimbies' films and they're/he's really good. I'm grateful for the opportunity to watch them :)

film director is one of those jobs where you can w**re out your craft to make money, making music videos or tv commercials or sthg that is within your job description and pays the bills, but is not creatively "yours". musician is another, you can go be the drummer in a stupid/popular act and travel the world, make good money, etc, or you can play your own avant-garde psych prog doom metal in toilets for bearded dudes and sell 20 vinyl LPs a pop...

I think that choice is harder than in jobs where you have to "quit" what you want to do and go be a bank teller/waiter/librarian to pay the bills...

disclaimer
Spoiler: show
no insult is intended on those whose dream is to be a bank teller, waiter or librarian :)

Reply to topic