Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:45 am 

Another annual thread here. We have the most anticipated thread, but I'll dedicate this one to talk about only releases that have already come out.

Here are some favourites from January:

Beach Slang - The Deadbeat Bang Of Heartbreak City
Do you like guitars and drums? This is a very solid rock n' roll record with no frills. To me, it sounds like The Replacements and the Rolling Stones. Favourite tracks: Tommy In The 80's, Kicking Over Bottles

Algiers - There is No Year
What genre is this? Death-soul? Southern-Protest-Punk? I like this one more than their last record (The Underside Of Power). Might be a little preachy for some, but it's very dark and very good. Also the last song kinda starts like a Darkthrone song. Favourite tracks: Hour Of The Furnaces, Wait For The Sound

October Drift - Forever Whatever
Another straight up rock record. More alternative here, but it still sounds very organic like the band playing all at once. A little Emo in places, maybe. Favourite tracks: Oh The Silence, Don't Give Me Hope.

Wolf Parade - Thin Mind
More of the same isn't always bad. Spencer Krug has a pretty good track record of creating good indie rock records. This doesn't sound that different from any Wolf Parade record, but that's okay with me. Favourite Tracks: Under Glass, Julia Take Your Man Home

Still haven't heard the Polica album that came out yesterday.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:05 pm 

The new Envy, The Fallen Crimson, is fucking outstanding and an early contender for AOTY.
Obliteration

Methuen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:24 am 

The Sylvaine / Unreqvited split is worth a go (I know I know, they spelled it with a 'v')

The Sylvaine tracks are accoustic-y, and all clean vocals; the Unreqvited tracks are instrumental. It's a great EP for zoning out of the world for half an hour.

Zdan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:34 am 

That Beach Slang album is some great stuff! Been listening to it this morning and I love what I am hearing - very organic and kick-your-face rock'n'roll! If there are more bands around like them (new ones) I would love to hear them.

chuggingpus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:54 am 

https://ocrippers.bandcamp.com/album/ii-2020

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:59 am 

Here is some stuff from February I enjoyed:

The Men - Mercy
Pretty great garage/psych rock. They release a lot of music, so a lot of their albums have filler, but this seems like the most cohesive piece in a while. Favourite tracks: Wading In Dirty Water / Children All Over The World

Asgeir - Bury The Moon
For fans of Novo Amor and Bon Iver. Record starts of really great with three incredible tracks, and tails off a bit by the end, but it's still better than decent. Favourite tracks: Pictures / Youth

Agnes Obel - Myopia
If you've ever listened to Agnes, you're familiar with her creepy, cinematic chamber-pop. She hasn't reinvented anything here, and some of it sounds very "same-y", but it's dark and pretty fantastic. Favourite tracks: Roscian / Won't You Call Me

Beauts - Dalliance
Still getting into this one. Pretty standard indie rock, but it's quite catchy and fun. Favourite tracks so far: The City Love Me / Drifters, All.

I also kinda like the new Matthew Good record, but it's way too fucking long. Disappointed with the new Best Coast. Denzel Curry is good, but it's actually too short at just 17 minutes.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:19 pm 

Loathe - I Let It In And It Took Everything. If you like Deftones and metalcore with lots of groovy parts (think the last two Norma Jean records) do yourself a favor and listen to this one. I can't stop listening to this.

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:16 am 

I’m absolutely loving the new Code Orange. I don’t know why but that band just resonates with me in a big way.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:54 am 

Mortiis has released a dungeon synth album for the first time in ages, it's called "Spirit Of Rebellion". Awesome stuff!

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:12 pm 

So far I'm enjoying...

Four Year Strong - Brain Pain
This is probably the best thing this band's done since "Rise or Die Trying". Very energetic and catchy.

The Bombpops - Death in Venice Beach
This sounds like it could have been released on Lookout Records in 1996, so I'm definitely into it. Tour with MTX and The Queers when, exactly?

Worriers - You or Someone You Know
Underrated melodic punk that reminds me of later Against Me!. I saw them open for that band once, actually, and I've been hooked ever since. They continue to deliver the goods here.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:50 pm 

i thought the new algiers was a big step down...

I havent heard that much new stuff yet but I thought the new The Cult of Dom Keller was good. I think i like the new Hällas more than the debut as well.

wheelman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:22 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
I’m absolutely loving the new Code Orange. I don’t know why but that band just resonates with me in a big way.

i feel the same way man, boundary pushing stuff, absolutely amazing

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:48 pm 

The Acacia Strain is releasing a bunch of mini eps over the year, with two of them released right now. So far they're really good, they've definitely kept a lot of their hardcore elements but have been delving pretty extensively into sludge and doom. Also got to give a shout out to their last album It Comes In Waves, it came out right at the end of 2019 as a total surprise to everyone and I didn't even realized it existed until early February. It's definitely their best album since Wormwood, and I definitely recommend it as a first listen for anyone that hasn't heard them but also isn't exactly into deathcore/hardcore/beatdown/etc.

Methuen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:03 am 

The Birthday Massacre - Diamonds

https://thebirthdaymassacre.bandcamp.com/album/diamonds

I've been following this band since their second album (Walking With Strangers, 2007). They play a kind of late 80s goth rock + synthesisers sound, with a smattering of decent riffs / guitar solos (ala The Cult, The Bolshoi, et al). Catcher than a catchy thing too. They're one of those bands that you hear and can't believe that they're not absolutely huge.

Their latest record is just released, and works really well as a softer follow up to Under Your Spell (2017) - really nice album to have on for an afternoon with a bottle of wine and some artistry. Instead of faster songs with big choruses, they've gone for a lot of lengthy instrumental passages drenched in synthesisers and keyboards - In a lot of this album, imagine a more cheerful Chelsea Wolfe. I'm on my third playthrough having picked it up this morning - definitely one to explore and soak up.

If you're new to them - get past the purple bunnies & hearts 2005 goth kid image, and enjoy the music !

amelanchier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:35 pm 

The latest Night Flight Orchestra album, _Aeromantic_, is the best in their catalog, I'd say. "Transmissions," "Curves," and "Divinyls" are highlights. It's more melodic and a bit darker this time around.

Reid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:57 am 

I've been listening recently to the newest Nine Inch Nails releases, Ghosts V: Together and Ghosts IV: Locusts. Pretty good dark ambient/industrial (ish?), a fitting soundtrack to a nightwalk in these weird and uncertain times. As you might be able to tell by the titles, V is more soothing while IV is a bit darker and eerie. It's free (for now) on the NIN webstore: https://store.nin.com/products/ghosts-digital-download

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:27 pm 

Here's the goods from March!

Honey Harper - Starmaker
Very peculiar 'country' (I guess?) record from my homeland of Canada. Calls on some psychedelic qualities and some unconventional sounds (a flute solo in one song, a carnival sounding synth in another). Great vocal harmonies throughout the record. Favourite tracks: Vaguely Satisfied, Someone Else's Dream

Waxahatchee - Saint Cloud
This is getting tons of press, and it deserves it. She seems to be improving in quality with each release. This album sounds super slick and the song-writing is very tight. Favourite tracks: Oxbow, Saint Cloud

Brian Fallon - Local Honey
This might be my least favourite of his three solo records, but it's still quite good. It's all VERY sad, and there are no big rockers. I think the first song is really bad, but after that, the record has two of the saddest songs I've heard in awhile, which are also my favourites: 21 Days & Vincent

Basia Bulat - Are You In Love
Another singer-songwriter from Canada. This album might be a couple songs too long, but most of it is very, very good. This and the Waxahatchee are good counter-parts coming out in the same month. Favourite songs: Are You In Love & Electric Roses

Jeezy - Twenty20/PyrexVision
Okay, I don't ACTUALLY think Jeezy is very good music, but fuck if this isn't fun. It's super short, and is exactly what you'd expect from the Atlanta rapper. Favourite tracks: Buy A Bank & Poppin'

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:47 pm 

Swedish punk rock band Lastkaj 14 released their new album a few days ago, and it's very good as expected.
https://lastkaj14.bandcamp.com/album/speglar-och-r-k

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:29 am 

Great recommendations and please keep them coming. I'm sort of bored w/ metal right now.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:27 am 

New Ulver track is awesome Depeche Mode-inspired electronic, maybe they'll release a whole album like this.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:06 am 

Yeah, I am looking forward to Ulver's album. The single is so cool.

Reply to topic