Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MetalicHunter
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:46 pm 

So; As recent as yesterday I found about this group called The HU; to keep things simple, it´s a mongolian musical group that plays kind-of metal (Multiple sources say it´s folk metal) with traditional mongolian instruments and throat-singing, it certenately sounds interesting, and they also seem to have become pretty popular, with as many as 30 million views in YouTube, considering there are about 9 million mongolian speakers worldwide this speaks volumes about these guys.

I wanted to ask here, because this guys have caught my attention; go and take a listen to them if you haven´t, once you do, I wanna ask you; Would you consider this metal like so many people have? If so... how could we possibly classify this as? Ethnic mongolian metal? Folk metal? etc.
I´m practically sure a lot of people here will say this isn´t metal at all, and I wouldn´t be surprised, it´s quite an excentric musical group, but I still want to bring this up, because at least to me they fit the bill of metal perfectly, although very unorthodoxly, well.

Pale_Pilgrim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:13 pm 

Not sure how I'd classify The HU. Frankly, it doesn't matter much to me. They make really cool music, play beautiful instruments, and entertain me thoroughly. That's enough for me.

My DeviantArt
My old band/project

BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:35 pm 

The HU is kind of neat but not really metal. I don't know if they were blessed by The Almighty Algorithm or if they just have an unbelievably good PR department, but they definitely benefited from fluke viral fame. They don't really have any real riffs so they're more like some weird metal-adjacent oddity/novelty like Apocalyptica or something but I thought Yuve Yuve Yu was a fun song. They're more "useful" to the metal scene than really a part of it I'd say, because genuine Mongolian folk metal has been a very good subbier-than-subniche for at least a decade now and they're the first one to really break out despite (or maybe because) they're not really all that heavy or mean. So if nothing else they helped shine a spotlight on a great niche.

Though if this sparked your interest in the scene then I'd definitely recommend some of the progenitors that preceded them like Nine Treasures, Shangren, Ego Fall, and especially Tengger Cavalry. Just be wary if you pursue Tengger, because from 2010-2014 they were absolutely incredible and probably the last great folk metal band, but then Nature moved to America and started putting out a ton of shitty half-songs at an alarming rate and started rerecording/whitewashing all of the great shit he did in China. Ancient Call is one of my favorite albums of the last decade but Die on My Ride is one of the worst with very little contest. In fact, the last post Nature made to the official TC facebook page was one complaining about how The HU is so much more popular than Tengger is and how an NPR article about them didn't namedrop Tengger and said he was being erased from music history. That was like three days before they found his body. Sad story.

Troodon_metallicus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:03 am 

The Hu are really cool, but they're not, strictly speaking, metal. And 'folk rock' sounds vague and even kind of misleading. I'm not sure if it even matters, as long as the music is engaging. Looking forward to their full-length.

As for Nature from Tengger Cavalry, until now, I didn't know he was found dead. I'm so sorry to hear that, he was a talented musician and didn't deserve to die so young.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:04 pm 

I wouldn't say they have much of a metal sound to me. I'm also not sure i'd call them overhyped or underappreciated. I'm not trying to say what they are doing is a gimmick because for all intents and purposes they sure seem genuine in their delivery. However I think the soaring views and popularity is the interest in the gimmick of most people haven't heard anything quite like them. So it creates intrigue. They are good enough to capture your attention but I also cant say that i'm a huge fan and would spend much time actively searching for or listening to them.

My guess is after the schtick wheres thin they will face into obscurity and only the select few will stick with them. I doubt they'll become innovators as such like say Slayer, Suffocation or Mayhem.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:54 pm 

They're definitely not metal. Folk for sure. Like Mongolian folk music. Idk who labeled them as metal, but they are wrong.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:39 pm 

The Hu doesnt really do anything new, other mongolian and tuvan bands have done this rock/metallic approach to their traditional music before. However they seem to specifically market themselves towards the European metal crowd.

Reply to topic