Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MasterVortex7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:45 pm 

I really think Deftones might not be considered to the ears of many, but they do have metal elements if you really think about it. You really don't know how much do the members of Deftones like metal. Chino Moreno has expressed praise towards Sepultura, Pantera, Slayer. Isis, and even posted about Gojira in his twitter, as well he has posted links of a Coroner song and a Ministry song. Stephen Carpenter is obviously the most metal member of the band expressing how much he likes Meshuggah, Chimaira, Decapitated, Fear Factory and Anthrax. In a Deftones Facebook group, someone took a selfie with Frank Delgado when he was spotted in a Opeth concert. Abe Cunningham has also showed love for Gojira, Slayer, and Opeth. Chino Moreno once stated in a interview that Chi Cheng was such a Iron Maiden fan, that he would wear a different Iron Maiden shirt everyday to school and has claimed Steve Harris as one of his bass inspirations. Even Sergio Vega has said he liked Opeth and once wore a Venom shirt when I went to see them play. And they don't just show their love to metal. When I went to see Deftones, I spoke to various metalheads who also liked Behemoth, Exodus, Slayer, Meshuggah, and also Cynic. I really like Deftones and they are among my favorites. They truly are one of the few that fusion PERFECTLY heaviness and melody together. And finally, they have received a lot of support from prominent metal musicians like Max Cavalera, Joe Duplantier, Flo Mounier, Alissa White-Gluz, Randy Blythe, Anders Friden, Jean-Francois Dagenais, Robb Flynn, Vinnie Paul, and Christian Olde Wolbers. So, what do you think of them, you like them, you dislike them? Feel free to express yourself.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:10 pm 

you ask ten different metalheads and you get ten different opinions.
I am really mixed on this band. Some of their stuff, I think is really, really good, other tracks I think are really really terrible. The stuff with the nu-metal riffs is generally, not good for me. When they get creative or interesting and rely less on the pseudo-metal asthetic, i.e. certain tracks remind me of early Smashing Pumpkins, then I like it a lot more.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:25 pm 

Haven't given them much of a good listen...but i like "Minerva"...

But just because then have metal influences, or the members like metal its self, it doesn't make them anymore "metal". Dave Grohl is a big metal fan, but...Foo Fighters...

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:24 pm 

Less than impressed with their latest but Diamond Eyes was excellent. I really like their direction post White Pony as it didn't seem as of that dated nu-metal staple, Mein for example is just so memorable and uniquely theirs.

I've found it's difficult for others to even give them a listen because they hate Chino's crooning vocals. To each their own I guess. And on the other end of spectrum most of their fans seem way too forgiving of their middling/lacklustre songs, the newest seemed to get glowing reviews before it was even released. Deftones definitely has a mixed reception I've found.

SlevinKelevra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:43 am 

no thanks to mallcore.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:54 am 

Judging by this forum's past threads I'd say this forum treats them alright. They're normally received well enough for a band of their calibre. For a long time I didn't listen to them but when Koi No Yokan came out we had a thread here and that got me into them again. I'm not a fan of their nu moments but they've got a good style going for them.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Intraum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:02 am 

eh, i assume most proper metalheads probably hate this band considering the ties to nu metal and whatnot. for me personally, they were probably one of my favorite bands around 1999 or so when they released the White Pony album when i was still in high school. i thought it was awesome and i associate that album with some of the best times of my life.

but of course, as i grew older and got into more traditional and underground metal i sort of lost track of them and their sound.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:05 am 

Even if they didn't have the ties to nu-metal I would still hate them because of their absolutely atrocious sound. Back To School is the worst goddamn song I've ever heard in my life.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:10 am 

I can't stand pretentious Deftones fans. Listen, you like a mallcore band. Just deal with it. I like White Zombie. The difference is I don't go around bullshitting people that White Zombie is progressive avant-garde alternative post-punk or whatever.

And who cares what bands the people in Deftones like? Fall Out Boy's guitarist likes Black Flag and Pantera. So what?

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:21 am 

I do like Deftones a lot, but it has taken me some time and I think I am completely detached from elements outside of music - I don't know or meet any rabid fans, I don't really read interviews with them, I don't really care what the band members are fans of or anything like that, I just listen to their records and really enjoy most of them. Mallcore? Well, sure, but also worthwhile music. And Gore was a great album that actually landed on my Top 10 last year. Though, funnily enough, the best song features Jerry Cantrell.

In fact, I have Koi No Yokan on my phone right now.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

Last edited by TheWaltzer on Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
RichardDeBenthall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:34 am 

I think the Deftones are great. I got into the through their more chilled out songs like Minerva and Change (In The House Of Flies) but then properly explored White Pony, Koi No Yokan and their Self Titled.

I think they're a pretty unique band and probably the only band with any real merit to come out of that nu-metal scene, even though I don't think their music is nu-metal at all barring the first couple of releases.

I've always thought they had more in common with Tool and Faith No More than say Limp Bizkit or Linkin Park.

Also saw them at Download last year and they were ridiculously heavy. I think everyone forgot that they recorded most of Koi No Yokan on 8-strings so Swerve City was crushing. As heavy as any other band that weekend and that included Electric Wizard and Gojira.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:25 am 

They're not my thing, but I respect them. The acoustic versions of Change and Be Quiet and Drive are particularly good, as I'm certain a handful of others or so would benefit from getting that treatment.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:57 am 

Great band.

The latest album is definitely not mallcore.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:05 am 

This band is pretty much the epitome of what I dislike in music. However, I do have to admit Chino can sing when he is not bullshitting around with the whole reverb soaked dreampop tripe. Whenever a band crosses over into the mainstream (relatively speaking) it usually sucks & these dudes were never good to begin with in my eyes. I can try to justify my disdain for these guys & bands of their ilk but in the end the fact of the matter is it's just not for me.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:36 am 

They've got their own sound, and they're pretty consistent in quality. I probably wouldn't get into them today if I didn't live through their 90's material but at the very least they've gone on to outlast all their contemporaries.

Haunted Shirt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:33 am 

Can't get into an entire album by them, although I have tried many times over the years. I do like certain songs by them like My Own Summer.

MetallicaTrueFan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:11 am 

I don't really care if some of my favorite bands are on this site or not. I am here having fun with conversations and the metal community. I have my own definition of Metal which is something I will keep to myself.

On Deftones... I feel like they are probably the best band to come out of the Nu Metal movement. They are a unique combination of shoegazing, dream pop, hardcore, rap, djent, metal, and even ambients. They seem to be the most artful band to come out of the movement (unless you want to count the Japanese bands). I think they are a great band all together with great albums like Around The Fur, White Pony, Saturday Night Wrist, Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yoken.

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:46 pm 

I bought a couple albums because they were recommended to me, and couldn't get into them. I like the song they did with Mayard, and that's the only one.
CircleOfDestruction zine #18|Video-Nasties.net | My Art Site

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:26 pm 

This band is easily the best of the nu-metal bands because they only really had obvious nu-metal elements here and there and gradually shed most of them. They're really good when they go for that weird huge dream pop sound. I actually have phases where I just kinda forget about this band for a while until I'm reminded again that they're good. The debut never did a whole lot for me, but I really loved Around the Fur in middle school and then was super into White Pony when that came out. By the time the self-titled came out I kind of had stopped caring about the band completely, but then jumped back on board for Saturday Night Wrist, which was mostly pretty good. Haven't listened to the most recent three though...I guess I should give those a whirl.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:39 pm 

I've listened or tried listening to White Pony and the self-titled in full. Both are a near perfect 50-50 blend of really damn good rock songs and slogs of boredom. I'm rarely in the mood for them for that reason but they've released enough stunning songs in their career to make more than an album's worth, so I typically just set a best-of playlist on iTunes and let it run when I want to hear them.

"Change in the House of Flies," "Be Quiet and Drive," and "Knife Party" are my favorites, with "Change" especially affecting me a lot when I was in grade and high school. "My Own Summer," "Digital Bath," "Pink Maggit," "Passenger," "Needles and Pins," and "Hole in the Earth" are all good too.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:15 pm 

Not a fan.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:20 pm 

MawBTS wrote:
And who cares what bands the people in Deftones like?

This.

iamntbatman wrote:
This band is easily the best of the nu-metal bands because they only really had obvious nu-metal elements here and there and gradually shed most of them. They're really good when they go for that weird huge dream pop sound.

And this.

MasterVortex7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:24 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
you ask ten different metalheads and you get ten different opinions.
I am really mixed on this band. Some of their stuff, I think is really, really good, other tracks I think are really really terrible. The stuff with the nu-metal riffs is generally, not good for me. When they get creative or interesting and rely less on the pseudo-metal asthetic, i.e. certain tracks remind me of early Smashing Pumpkins, then I like it a lot more.

Currently listening to the latest album by Deftones, Gore, while writing this reply, I will admit that the song the least from them is Pink Cellphone, and Beware isnt as hard hitting like people say, but I like 90% of their material. I noticed that a lot of people from the metal community like the album Adrenaline because it is more "metal", but there are some great songs from the nu metal era of Deftones, like Bored, Around The Fur and Headup (which features Max Cavalera). I like the songs that have the shoegaze influence, and I like Smashing Pumpkins, songs like Sextape, Rosemary, and Digital Bath have the shoegaze dreamy sound I like from Deftones, I feel like I am drifting to a world where beauty and extasis reign when I listen to their most shoegazey songs, especially Rosemary. The song Rosemary left me breathless when I saw them play live, and the best part is that, with that beautiful song playing by them, I was surrounded by 2 beautiful girls, so that was amazing.

MasterVortex7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:28 pm 

Space_alligator wrote:
Haven't given them much of a good listen...but i like "Minerva"...

But just because then have metal influences, or the members like metal its self, it doesn't make them anymore "metal". Dave Grohl is a big metal fan, but...Foo Fighters...

Minerva is one of my favorite songs from Deftones, no lie, I dont know if its just me, but Katatonia would make a amazing cover of Minerva. Katatonia is another band that I think fusions PERFECTLY heaviness with melody. I get your example of Dave Grohl, dont forget the Probot album he did with legends like Cronos, Lemmy, Max Cavalera, Wino, and my favorite, Thomas Gabriel Fischer of the monolithic bands, Celtic Frost and Triptykon. Foo Fighters is a okay band for me, even though I have the longest time I dont listen to them.

MasterVortex7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:37 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Less than impressed with their latest but Diamond Eyes was excellent. I really like their direction post White Pony as it didn't seem as of that dated nu-metal staple, Mein for example is just so memorable and uniquely theirs.

I've found it's difficult for others to even give them a listen because they hate Chino's crooning vocals. To each their own I guess. And on the other end of spectrum most of their fans seem way too forgiving of their middling/lacklustre songs, the newest seemed to get glowing reviews before it was even released. Deftones definitely has a mixed reception I've found.

People were complaining about the production the album Gore had, and also because Sergio Vega contributed to the songwriting, which some people didn't like. I loved the new album Gore, and I was looking forward to new material for the longest time already. They havent done a terrible album in my eyes to this day, and I hope they never will. Just like for me Katatonia's core is Jonas Renkse and Anders Nystrom, Deftones' core is Chino Moreno and Stephen Carpenter. I really liked how they moved on with their very own unique sound and didnt fall down to oblivion like some nu metal bands, but I also like nu metal bands like Korn and Slipknot, which they also found their sound as well. The song Mein has some of the best guitar playing I have ever listen to from Stephen Carpenter, the music video is great as well, sadly, the last one featuring Chi Cheng, who had such a impressive stage presence.

The vocals that Chino has is so dreamy and so unique in my opinion, I am also into shoegaze and that type of vocals really appeal to me. It is a element to their dreamy sound. The fusion between Chino's chaotic or dreamy vocals fusion perfectly with Stephen's heavy and crushing riffs, something a few bands have accomplished without lacking or overdoing or sounding super cheesy. There are some that really didnt like it and some others, it was truly a enjoyment to listen to their latest work, which I really liked.

MasterVortex7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:38 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:

Diamond Eyes was great to me as well by the way.

MasterVortex7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:44 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Judging by this forum's past threads I'd say this forum treats them alright. They're normally received well enough for a band of their calibre. For a long time I didn't listen to them but when Koi No Yokan came out we had a thread here and that got me into them again. I'm not a fan of their nu moments but they've got a good style going for them.

Koi No Yokan ranks super high as one of my favorite albums from them. They truly distinguished themselves with that album, people say Saturday Night Wrist was their most romantic album, but to me, Koi No Yokan was the most romantic SOUNDING album, I felt like I was flying with a beautiful girl while holding her hand while flying over these beautiful, psychodelic, mesmerizing landscapes like the main character of the music video of Forsaken by Dream Theater was doing with this one girl. I read that thread and it was cool to see how many people liked that album. They could go really heavy, melodic, melancholic, chaotic or full of huge energy.

MasterVortex7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:51 pm 

Intraum wrote:
eh, i assume most proper metalheads probably hate this band considering the ties to nu metal and whatnot. for me personally, they were probably one of my favorite bands around 1999 or so when they released the White Pony album when i was still in high school. i thought it was awesome and i associate that album with some of the best times of my life.

but of course, as i grew older and got into more traditional and underground metal i sort of lost track of them and their sound.

Most metalheads probably think Deftones still make the usual nu metal, but they dont, they have found their own sound. Deftones is a huge part of my high school, and it was the first band that brought me feelings of love when I had a huge crush on a girl.

I listen to death metal, black metal, and doom metal today, but Deftones has always captured my attention, they have always been a band I listen to a lot to this day, so I could go from listening to Superior Massacre by Myrkskog, then go to Anthems to The Welkin Dusk and finally end up listening to Diamond Eyes by Deftones.

Here's a great song from their new album

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 7831,d.cGw

MasterVortex7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:53 pm 

TrooperEd wrote:
Even if they didn't have the ties to nu-metal I would still hate them because of their absolutely atrocious sound. Back To School is the worst goddamn song I've ever heard in my life.

Back To School is one of the least liked songs by Deftones, even Chino Moreno thinks it sucks, I was listening to that song on my way walking to my first day in college, I was mimicking his rapping, it was so cringey at the end.

MasterVortex7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:55 pm 

MawBTS wrote:
I can't stand pretentious Deftones fans. Listen, you like a mallcore band. Just deal with it. I like White Zombie. The difference is I don't go around bullshitting people that White Zombie is progressive avant-garde alternative post-punk or whatever.

And who cares what bands the people in Deftones like? Fall Out Boy's guitarist likes Black Flag and Pantera. So what?

I was just saying, that's all, I dont think I am better than anybody because of that, all I wanted was to see your opinions on them, just wanted to have a discussion with people about them.

MasterVortex7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:01 pm 

TheWaltzer wrote:
I do like Deftones a lot, but it has taken me some time and I think I am completely detached from elements outside of music - I don't know or meet any rabid fans, I don't really read interviews with them, I don't really care what the band members are fans of or anything like that, I just listen to their records and really enjoy most of them. Mallcore? Well, sure, but also worthwhile music. And Gore was a great album that actually landed on my Top 10 last year. Though, funnily enough, the best song features Jerry Cantrell.

In fact, I have Koi No Yokan on my phone right now.

I like reading interviews of any bands I like, it gives me more insight in their music, I wished Stephen Carpenter would still continue his side project with Christian Olde Wolbers and Raymond Herrera of Fear Factory. Deftones ranks high as one of the greatest bands in my opinion. Same here with Gore ranking high for me as one of my favorite albums of 2016, along with The Fall of Hearts by Katatonia. I am listening to Phantom Bride featuring Jerry Cantrell at this moment by the way. Koi No Yokan is one of the greatest albums by them in my opinion.

MasterVortex7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:14 pm 

RichardDeBenthall wrote:
I think the Deftones are great. I got into the through their more chilled out songs like Minerva and Change (In The House Of Flies) but then properly explored White Pony, Koi No Yokan and their Self Titled.

I think they're a pretty unique band and probably the only band with any real merit to come out of that nu-metal scene, even though I don't think their music is nu-metal at all barring the first couple of releases.

I've always thought they had more in common with Tool and Faith No More than say Limp Bizkit or Linkin Park.

Also saw them at Download last year and they were ridiculously heavy. I think everyone forgot that they recorded most of Koi No Yokan on 8-strings so Swerve City was crushing. As heavy as any other band that weekend and that included Electric Wizard and Gojira.

I love Deftones. The first song I ever listened to them was Hole In The Earth from their Saturday Night Wrist album when I first saw their music video on MTVtr3s (surprisingly a latino focused music video channel), its going to sound cliche, but I was impacted after seeing that music video, at age 10, at how a band can be so heavy, and so melodic, all at the same time, it was like something I have never experienced before musically, Stephen Carpenter from that moment is one of my biggest guitar playing influences, you dont know how surreal was it for me to see him upstage and riffing, I never knew that 10 years later after I discovered them, In would see them play, and that made me like Deftones more and take my guitar playing more serious than ever, I know Stephen Carpenter isnt the most technical guitarist out there, but he plays with feeling, in my opinion. Same with Chino Moreno, who I also like his guitar playing.

They truly did step out of the nu metal label, White Pony was the true game changer for them. Thats when they actually started to be their own identity.

Well, Tool and Faith No More are huge influences of Deftones and Maynard James Keenan has guested in their song Passenger and Mike Patton guested in one of Chino Moreno's side projects, Team Sleep, I do find them more similarity to them like most nu metal bands. They are heavier live, the songs Headup, My Own Summer and Diamond Eyes are crushing live, especially how the audience goes bananas, and so did I lost my self when those songs were played live. The song Gore was a monstrosity when it got played live, the mosh pit was insane. The song Swerve City has this amazing groove throughout the entire song, it was fun singing along through the chorus when it was played live. Electric Wizard has a great doom stoner sound and Gojira is one band I hope to see one day.

MasterVortex7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:16 pm 

ModusOperandi wrote:
They're not my thing, but I respect them. The acoustic versions of Change and Be Quiet and Drive are particularly good, as I'm certain a handful of others or so would benefit from getting that treatment.

The acoustic version of Cherry Waves is just as good like Change and Be Quiet And Drive Far Away, Be Quiet and Drive Far Away was the song that permanently got me hooked, more hooked than when I listened to Hole In The Earth, which was my first song from Deftones.

Need4Power
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:25 pm 

I don't like them at all. I've only listened to a little bit but I really don't like what I've heard.

MLG_Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:28 pm 

Not a fan.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:47 pm 

As I said earlier definitely a mixed reception. I do find it amusing people say they hate them and then admit to barely listening to them (when they changed their sound quite often). That's like me saying I hate Strapping Young Lad and having only listened to their first album, when their later stuff is top tier, or just Seepia which is practically an un-listenable mess with production that barely distinguishes any instrument.

Odovacar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:57 pm 

I really like White Pony and that's about it from their discography. I've listened to their two prior albums and it just never sat well with me even though I used to be heavy into nu-metal while in high school.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:59 pm 

Not a band I'd ever choose to listen to, one of the most dull live experiences I've ever witnessed...but I actually get why people like them. Chino's voice is distinct, at the very least, and they all seem like genuinely cool guys.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

MasterVortex7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:56 pm 

IamDBR wrote:
This band is pretty much the epitome of what I dislike in music. However, I do have to admit Chino can sing when he is not bullshitting around with the whole reverb soaked dreampop tripe. Whenever a band crosses over into the mainstream (relatively speaking) it usually sucks & these dudes were never good to begin with in my eyes. I can try to justify my disdain for these guys & bands of their ilk but in the end the fact of the matter is it's just not for me.

Chino does have a good voice overall, whether if its clean singing, the dreamy vocals, or chaotic screams. I actually like dream pop. Each to their own anyways.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:45 am 

The only song I remember is "Back to School" which was a chore listening to, any recommendations?

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next