PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:56 pm 

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Eastern Conference Seeding Round Robin

Boston Bruins (1)
Tampa Bay Lightning (2)
Washington Capitals (3)
Philadelphia Flyers (4)

Eastern Conference Qualifying Round Match-Ups

Pittsburgh Penguins (5) vs. Montréal Canadiens (12)
People said it wasn't going to happen at the start of the season, but thanks to the new playoff format announced in 2020, the Montréal Canadiens find themselves in the playoffs for the first time since 2017. They face the Pittsburgh Penguins in the opening round, who extend their playoff appearance streak to 14 consecutive years, the longest active streak in the NHL. Pittsburgh won two of the three regular season matches.
Prediction: Pittsburgh in four games.

Carolina Hurricanes (6) vs. New York Rangers (11)
The Carolina Hurricanes finally made it to the playoffs in back to back seasons, the first time they managed to do so since 2000-01 and 2001-02. They were a surprise in the 2019 playoffs; in their first playoff appearance in 10 years, the Hurricanes stormed to the Eastern Conference Finals, where they were swept by the Boston Bruins. They face the New York Rangers in the Qualifying Round. The Rangers find themselves in their first playoff appearance since 2016-17. Despite being considered the underdog in this series, the Rangers defeated the Hurricanes in all four regular season meetings.
Prediction: Carolina in five games.

New York Islanders (7) vs. Florida Panthers (10)
The New York Islanders and Florida Panthers meet in the playoffs for the first time since 2015-16, when the Islanders defeated the Panthers in the opening round. This was also the last time the Panthers qualified for the playoffs. The Islanders won all three regular season meetings against the Panthers. However, the Islanders were disintegrating when the regular season was put on hold, not having won any of their last seven games. However, Florida holds an offensive advantage, having scored 228 regular season goals compared to the 189 the Islanders scored.
Prediction: New York in five games.

Toronto Maple Leafs (8) vs. Columbus Blue Jackets (9)
The Columbus Blue Jackets surprised the hockey world in 2018-19 by advancing beyond the opening round for the first time in franchise history, in what was one of the biggest upsets in NHL playoff history, a four game sweep of the Tampa Bay Lightning. They succumbed to the Boston Bruins in six games in the second round, but aim to advance for the second straight season. They face the Toronto Maple Leafs in the opening round of the playoffs. This will be the first ever playoff meeting between the Maple Leafs and Blue Jackets. The teams met twice in the regular season; Columbus won one game, and Toronto won the other. Toronto has not won a playoff series since 2004.
Prediction: Columbus in three games.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Eastern Conference Seeding Round Robin

St. Louis Blues (1)
Colorado Avalanche (2)
Vegas Golden Knights (3)
Dallas Stars (4)

Western Conference Qualifying Round Match-Ups

Edmonton Oilers (5) vs. Chicago Blackhawks (12)
The most dominant team in the NHL during the early to mid 2010s, winning Stanley Cups in 2010, 2013, and 2015, the Chicago Blackhawks found themselves in a downfall in the late 2010s. After being the top team in the Western Conference in 2016-17, they were shockingly swept in the opening round by the Nashville Predators, and the following season, missed the playoffs entirely, as they plummeted to last place in the Central Division. After being playoff no-shows again in 2018-19, the Blackhawks return to playoff action against the Edmonton Oilers, who are also in the playoffs for the first time in three years. This marks the fifth time the Oilers and the Blackhawks meet in the playoffs. Edmonton won the first three (1983, 1985, and 1990), but Chicago swept Edmonton during the most recent playoff meeting in the 1992 Clarence Campbell Conference Finals. Chicago is the underdog in this series, but did win two of the three regular season games against Edmonton.
Prediction: Edmonton in five games.

Nashville Predators (6) vs. Arizona Coyotes (11)
The Arizona Coyotes snapped their skid of playoff appearances and appear in the postseason for the first time since 2012. They will face the Nashville Predators in the Qualifying Round. In the lone previous meeting between Nashville and Arizona, Arizona (then known as the Phoenix Coyotes) won in the second round. The teams split their two regular season meetings.
Prediction: Nashville in five games.

Vancouver Canucks (7) vs. Minnesota Wild (10)
The Vancouver Canucks enjoyed a revival in 2019-20, as they make their first playoff appearance since 2015. They face the Minnesota Wild in the Qualifying Round. The two teams last met in the playoffs in 2002-03, when the Wild defeated the Canucks in the second round of the playoffs. Minnesota won two of the three regular season meetings between the two teams.
Prediction: Vancouver in five games.

Calgary Flames (8) vs. Winnipeg Jets (9)
The lone all-Canadian Qualifying Round matchup pits the Calgary Flames and the Winnipeg Jets. This marks the first playoff meeting between the two franchises, although Calgary did face the former Winnipeg Jets (now the Arizona Coyotes) in 1987, when Winnipeg won in six games in the opening round. The two teams faced each other only once in the regular season; Winnipeg won the game.
Prediction: Calgary in four games.

Last edited by Required Fields on Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:07 pm 

I'm just gonna say that if Carey is in good shape, he can steal a series by himself!

(longer post coming up after the Review Challenge... so tomorrow)

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Bierlag
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:30 pm 

Looking forward to this. It's not ideal, but I need hockey ASAP.

Feeling good about the Pens chances once Guentzel is back in full form.

severzhavnost
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:58 pm 

Just curious, Required Fields, is another Maple Leafs crapout widely anticipated, or is it just you? I can’t see them losing to Columbus, who are nowhere near as good as last year’s Jackets.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:53 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Just curious, Required Fields, is another Maple Leafs crapout widely anticipated, or is it just you? I can’t see them losing to Columbus, who are nowhere near as good as last year’s Jackets.

Have you watched the Leafs this year? They're a team without direction, whose great individual talent is rendered useless by the most baffling lack of discipline and anything even resembling a system that I've ever seen.

Metantoine
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:04 pm 

The Blue Jackets despite losing some of their best elements during the last summer, had a pretty damn good season (33-22-0-15) and play very well as a team. It wouldn't be a surprise at all if they beat the Leafs, a team unable to win a playoff series. Say what you want about Torts, he's a great coach and he has a good system over there. oh and not signing Duchene was a good decision, he's a cancer.

TOR has no defense despite having one of the most talented offensive top 6 in the league and their coach switch is still fairly fresh.

I'm very stoked for those playoffs, I've been missing hockey

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

severzhavnost
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:25 pm 

Well, maybe the Leafs will be saved by the fact the Qualifying Round is only a best-of-five. I don’t expect such a freewheeling style to be sustainable for a whole playoff run, but they can run-and-gun out a couple games early on. The pause also benefits offensive teams, as defence always starts off playing catchup. That’s true every regular season, where we see teams on pace for 400 goals and players on pace for 80 through October before things stabilize.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:38 pm 

Pretty much agree with that list, but with that said, for the west coast, I wouldn't mind seeing the Coyotes and Wild move ahead. Considering all that's happened, it'd be nice to see Minessota win one for the state, and seeing how the Timberwolves have no chance when the NBA resumes it'll be up to the Wild to bring one home. As for the Coyotes, they were doing surprisingly well before the season halted.

As for the east coast, I've never exactly followed it too much since I'm an Avalanche fan.

So with that said, fuck all the teams except the Avs, it's fucking do or die this year unless some of the players are OK with getting paid far less than their market value next year.

Metantoine wrote:
...not signing Duchene was a good decision, he's a cancer.

Yup, worst team player ever. Made the Avs primo shit the entire time he played. But that said, Sakic got a great deal when he traded for him, really showed amazing management skills there.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:36 am 

Man, I am wildly confused as to why the Oilers, a team who were SOLIDLY in 2nd place in the Pacific, and thereby basically guaranteed a playoff spot short of a SPECTACULAR meltdown, must play a series against a team nowhere really near the playoffs but still holding on to the core that went all the way 3 times. Chicago wasn't good this year, but I would place very good odds on them still being able to win a playoff series against a technically better team. Just doesn't make any fucking sense. Montreal shouldn't anywhere near this either.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

oilerfan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:40 pm 

Burnyoursins wrote:
Man, I am wildly confused as to why the Oilers, a team who were SOLIDLY in 2nd place in the Pacific, and thereby basically guaranteed a playoff spot short of a SPECTACULAR meltdown, must play a series against a team nowhere really near the playoffs but still holding on to the core that went all the way 3 times. Chicago wasn't good this year, but I would place very good odds on them still being able to win a playoff series against a technically better team. Just doesn't make any fucking sense. Montreal shouldn't anywhere near this either.

I agree, we were 3 points behind Las Vegas. Too bad they couldn't have had team 11 vs. 12 / 9 vs. 10/ = winners of these 2 series play each other to determine who plays winner of 7 vs 8 series = now you have your 8 teams to seed as usual.
To me, this is fair.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:40 pm 

Instead of adding more teams to the playoffs, there should have been less teams to shorten the season under the current circumstances, namely the four best teams in the Eastern and Western Conferences, respectively. Teams like Florida Panthers, Montreal Canadiens, Minnesota Wild and Chicago Blackhawks simply don't deserve to be here. And I'm saying this as an Arizona Coyotes fan who are making the playoffs for the first time in eight seasons. You have got to be objective here. In general, I find the purpose of playing sports in empty stadiums and arenas questionable. I admit to having watched the DFB Pokal semi finals yesterday and today but sports are first and foremost live entertainment for fans. The fact that the playoffs are taking place doesn't have much to do with sports and fans but with media contracts and marketing strategies. I'm not certain whether hockey playoffs make much sense in the Canadian summer when it's going to be thirty-five degrees outside in mid-July. Still, I obviously like the sport enough to watch a couple of games here and there. I expect these playoffs to be very difficult to predict since the last regular season games will have taken place four months before the playoffs. A lot of things might have changed in four months under the current circumstances. This is why I expect quite a few surprises and have taken some risks with my predictions.

These are my predictions for the first round in the Eastern Conference:

Pittsburg Penguins (5) vs. Montreal Canadiens (12):

Canadiens in 5. It's an incredible gift for the Canadiens to participate in the playoffs. Nobody expected this to be happening. The players feel fresh and relaxed. They don't face any expectations. The incessant usual pressure from local fans and media in Montreal will be gone. They have got nothing to lose. With Carey Pirce being focused and Shea Weber being in great shape, I could imagine the Canadiens to surprise the Penguins who face much higher expectations and pressure.

Carolina Hurricanes (6) vs. New York Rangers (11):

Rangers in 5. The Carolina Hurricanes have surprised the hockey world last season. This will be difficult to repeat. The chemistry isn't exactly the same as last season. The Rangers are currently rebuilding their team and the future actually looks rather promising. They have many young, hungry and energetic players that could make a difference and cause a surprise.

New York Islanders (7) vs. Florida Panthers (10):

Islanders in 4. The Islanders have the better players, more experience and one of the greatest coaches to be around. The Panthers are fast but overall still lacking consistency.

Toronto Maple Leafs (8) vs. Columbus Blue Jackets (9):

Maple Leafs in 4. They have outstanding players that should have performed much better than they actually did this season. The Columbus Blue Jackets managed to shock the hockey world last season. Everyone will be prepared now. The individual skills of the Toronto Maple Leafs should favour them here.

These are my predictions for the first round in the Western Conference:

Edmonton Oilers (5) vs. Chicago Blackhawks (12):

Oilers in 3. No Canadian team has won a Stanley Cup since 1993. The only team that has a chance of changing this in the near future are the Edmonton Oilers. Offensively, they have two of the very best players with Leon Draisaitls and Connor McDavid. Their defense has finally improved over the past few seasons as well. Mike Smith is a goalkeeper who always performs extraordinarily well in the playoffs. Dave Tippett is a calm and experienced coach with a clear strategy. The Oilers shouldn't have too many problems with the old and tired Blackhawks.

Nashville Predators (6) vs. Arizona Coyotes (11):

Coyotes in 5. This duel is very difficult to predict. The Predators could have won the Cup a few seasons ago but their window of opportunity is rapidly closing now. On the other side, the Arizona Coyotes have sucked for many seasons but are now showing much promise for the future with great young players and the exciting addition of Taylor Hall. I suspect this series to go all the way to five games and predict the Arizona Coyotes to surprise the hockey world here.

Vancouver Canucks (7) vs. Minnesota Wild (10):

Canucks in 4. The Canucks have a young and exciting team with many promising rookies. The Wild is experienced but getting old. I expect the more energetic Canucks to come out victorious here.

Calgary Flames (8) vs. Winnipeg Jets (9):

Jets in five. This one is also very difficult to predict. Both teams have been playing great hockey in the past few seasons but their windows of opportunity seem to slowly be closing again. I believe that the Jets overall still have the better individual players. Despite having lost some important players in the recent past, they have adapted rather well. That's why I believe they could win this duel in five games.

''Hanako and the Suicide Forest'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/hanako-and-the-suicide-forest-a187892062

severzhavnost
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:20 pm 

kluseba, I’d be very surprised if this Qualifying Round wasn’t here to stay. More playoff games = more money for more owners, even if we’re just talking about TV contracts for this season. There’s no way this disappears in future seasons, when fans are able to come back and buy obnoxiously overpriced playoff tickets.

kluseba

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:04 pm 

Not sure that the players will agree on that under normal circumstances and desire to play even more games per season.

''Hanako and the Suicide Forest'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/hanako-and-the-suicide-forest-a187892062

severzhavnost
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:55 pm 

Oh, I think the players will go along with keeping this format, even if they’re not really in love with it. Would be really bad optics for any player to vote against expanded playoffs. That would be denying more entertainment to more fans. Besides it’s only five more games at maximum; and hockey is not new to having overcrowded playoffs. Through the 80s, 16 of 21 teams made the playoffs :p

Grisly Bare
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:32 am 

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the league doesn't consider the qualifying rounds to be considered part of the playoffs, and that once the QR is done, then the official playoffs begin. That would imply any points players accumulate during the QR will not count towards their post season totals. This also implies playoff streaks for teams are not continued, i.e. if Pittsburgh loses in the QR, they will not have extended their playoff streak to 14 seasons and if Montreal loses, their streak of missing the playoffs will continue.

2 additional questions this raises is are teams who are eliminated in the QR entered into the draft lottery and are the players points counted towards their regular season totals?

severzhavnost
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:27 pm 

Not that it matters since nobody’s going, but our PM has just cleared three Canadian cities to be possible hub sites for the upcoming quasi-season and super-playoffs! Edmonton, Vancouver and Toronto (despite being the country’s COVID capital) make the cut: https://www.nhl.com/news/canada-clears- ... -317188672

Despite it being unimportant, still the civic pride kicks in, and I can’t help pointing out that Ottawa has been in single digits of corona cases for 22 of the last 25 days, plus the fact that our arena is ridiculously isolated from the city compared to others that are smack downtown...

EDIT: make that 25 of 28 days.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:59 pm 

Grisly Bare wrote:
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the league doesn't consider the qualifying rounds to be considered part of the playoffs, and that once the QR is done, then the official playoffs begin. That would imply any points players accumulate during the QR will not count towards their post season totals. This also implies playoff streaks for teams are not continued, i.e. if Pittsburgh loses in the QR, they will not have extended their playoff streak to 14 seasons and if Montreal loses, their streak of missing the playoffs will continue.

2 additional questions this raises is are teams who are eliminated in the QR entered into the draft lottery and are the players points counted towards their regular season totals?

I remember reading that the games count towards playoff stats, so they count on some level.

Back in the 1970s, they had preliminary rounds for lower-ranked teams, and guess what? They counted as playoff games. If those games counted, I fail to see how the "qualifying rounds" wouldn't count towards making the playoffs.

kluseba

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:48 pm 

Toronto isn't Canada's COVID capital, Montreal is. I'm glad all these teams and their partners aren't coming to Ottawa. Nobody needs the risk of a second wave here. It doesn't matter much where they play anyway, since fans won't be allowed to attend. If they choose one American city with Las Vegas and one Canadian city with Edmonton, then it's fine with me.

severzhavnost
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:44 pm 

Sitting at the bar wearing my Quebec Nordiques shirt, and somebody looks at it and asks me “Did the Islanders make the playoffs this year?” :nono: Granted, we’re outdoors due to covid restrictions and I naturally gravitate to the dingiest, most poorly lit corner of the patio, but still. This lack of hockey history knowledge is worrying, for anyone who would like to see Quebec rejoin the NHL someday.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:15 pm 

According to this article on the NHL webpage, the league also announced that all teams participating in the Qualifying Round are considered to have made the playoffs and will have participated in a playoff series.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-nhlpa-rati ... -317377156

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:57 am 

The playoffs are only minutes away. I posted my prediction for the Qualifying Round, but not the seeding round-robin tournament.

My predictions for the seeding round-robin tournament are as follows...

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Prediction: 1) Boston Bruins; 2) Washington Capitals; 3) Tampa Bay Lightning; 4) Philadelphia Flyers.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Prediction: 1) Colorado Avalanche; 2) St. Louis Blues; 3) Vegas Golden Knights; 4) Dallas Stars.

Inkshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:43 pm 

I've been trying hard to get into hockey since the Seattle NHL expansion was announced two years ago. I find the mechanics of the sport to be really cool, and I'm enjoying watching all the teams play each other in little bubbles, it makes everything really easy to keep track of. I'm hoping the Wild do well, they're up one game, but I dont' have high hopes.

severzhavnost
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:32 pm 

If there’s one sure bet, it’s never pick the Hurricanes to lose the first round. They’re like the Dos Equis of hockey: “I don’t always make the playoffs. But when I do, I prefer the semifinals.”

Inkshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:23 pm 

Not looking forward to Canucks vs. Wild tonight after the game that was played yesterday. Hateful, brutal, pentalty-laden hockey, with 5-on-5 play a vanishing rarity.

severzhavnost wrote:
re’s one sure bet, it’s never pick the Hurricanes to lose the first round. They’re like the Dos Equis of hockey: “I don’t always make the playoffs. But when I do, I prefer the semifinals.”

They made out like bandits! The Rangers didn't even have a chance.

Reply to topic