Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:44 pm 

Black Lagoon would be a sure-fit for the Metal Archives audience.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:55 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Black Lagoon would be a sure-fit for the Metal Archives audience.

Just got done watching the first season again and the second season for the first time last month. Definitely love the show.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

phibzy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:06 am 

Haven't had much time to watch that much recently, however about a week ago I finished off Steins;Gate which I really enjoyed. I'm really looking forward to the movie as well.

I still have way too much stuff to watch on my hard drive, however I hope I'll be able to keep up with Persona 4 and the new Last Exile next season as they air.

Garyuu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:46 pm 

Nephilum667 wrote:
John_Sunlight wrote:
Anyone know any good romance oriented fantasy anime? I ask for no reason.

Sekirei (it's about a man who encounters a being named a sekirei, they become friends, fall in love, and crazy stuff happens) it's available on Netflix. if you don't have it, this site (http://www.anime-sub.com/all-anime-series-list) may have it available. I highly recommend it (it has a good blend of comedy, romance, and a somewhat philosophical touch that makes it an interesting work).

Seriously? I would never recommend that to someone looking for a romance anime. Yeah it has romance parts, but it's primarily an action show with too much fanservice.

I would recommend stuff like Saikano or Air honestly.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:56 pm 

Garyuu wrote:
Seriously? I would never recommend that to someone looking for a romance anime. Yeah it has romance parts, but it's primarily an action show with too much fanservice.

I would recommend stuff like Saikano or Air honestly.

Or fucking CLANNAD/CLANNAD ~After Story~.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:06 pm 

You guys positive this clannad show is so emotional? Looks like total lolicon worship, and that's not me trying to pick a fight with anyone. With an art style like that it's hard for me to take it seriously. Looks like teen drama.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:04 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
You guys positive this clannad show is so emotional? Looks like total lolicon worship, and that's not me trying to pick a fight with anyone. With an art style like that it's hard for me to take it seriously. Looks like teen drama.

I understand completely. This was my initial reaction, as well.

As I watched the first season, I was like, "Hey, this is pretty good." And then the second season kicked me in the nuts and made me its bitch.

EDIT: Some things to keep in mind:

1. Both seasons are technically 25 episodes, but only 1-22 are relevant in both cases. 23-25 are filler and recap for both seasons.
2. If you're expecting fan service, which can't really be blamed due to the show's art style, you'll be disappointed; it's probably THE most modest anime ever.
3. The art style is no real indicator of the show's atmosphere. The central story may revolve around a budding romance in high school, but it deals with issues that are a bit deeper than others.
4. The series is based off a visual novel by a group called Key. Key are infamous for yanking heartstrings without mercy.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:45 am 

Hmmm I'll see about it later. Just started the quarter today at school so time's a bit constrained.

T51b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:39 am 

I have been watching Trinity Blood on Netflix, about twelve episodes in so far. Pretty cool concept with the post apoc/vampire mix, two of my favorite topics. Abel Nightroad reminds me quite a bit of Vash from Tri-Gun as well, which I enjoy.

Coming from someone who has not watched a lot of Anime, can anyone recommend some shows that are along the same lines of TriGun? I actually enjoyed the Westernish type setting quite a bit. It is on par with Cowboy Bebop for my favorite anime so far that I have completely finished.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:50 am 

Hellsing, if you somehow missed it. The new OVA's are better than the old series, but I think the company that did the English voice acting went bust, so we may never get all of them dubbed properly.

Also, if you like Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star is great 90's anime.

Anyone seen Redline, yet? I honestly doubt there will ever be another anime to be released that will rival it in terms of animation.

T51b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:57 am 

I will snag Hellsing and Outlaw Star next in that case.

So a question, for those experienced with Vampire Hunter D. I wanted to watch them, just randomly searching though I notice they are pretty pricey unless you buy used. Never reissued I guess? Which is odd since I thought it was a popular franchise. I also noticed two different ones, Just Vampire Hunter D and Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust. Was Bloodlust a completely different movie and sequel or was it just a reissue with extras of the first?

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:13 pm 

Weird, it used to be cheap enough. Bloodlust is great, but not really related to the first film beyond sharing the protagonist.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:32 pm 

T51b wrote:
So a question, for those experienced with Vampire Hunter D. I wanted to watch them, just randomly searching though I notice they are pretty pricey unless you buy used. Never reissued I guess? Which is odd since I thought it was a popular franchise. I also noticed two different ones, Just Vampire Hunter D and Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust. Was Bloodlust a completely different movie and sequel or was it just a reissue with extras of the first?

There are only the 2 movies (Vampire Hunter D and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust) and the series of novels. The 2 movies were made at different times (1985 and 2001, respectively) and by different companies (Toho and Madhouse, respectively) with different budgets (none and infinite, respectively).
T51b wrote:
Coming from someone who has not watched a lot of Anime, can anyone recommend some shows that are along the same lines of TriGun? I actually enjoyed the Westernish type setting quite a bit. It is on par with Cowboy Bebop for my favorite anime so far that I have completely finished.

The obvious contenders have already been mentioned: Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star. Coincidentally, all 3 shows came out in 1998. Hmmm...

For shows with a similar feel (action-packed, open, episodic, and/or character-driven), check out Black Lagoon, Gundam X, G Gundam, Giant Robo, Great Teacher Onizuka, Gungrave, and Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water. And motherfuckin' Gurren Lagann.

kiske_of_deth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:49 am 

I'm about half way through the first season of Clannad and I really don't get why everyone thinks this is so amazing so far. I'm enjoying it, but nowhere NEAR as much as I thought I would. Some of the stuff is just too woefully melodramatic, like a bad soap opera. I'll stick with it for the second season. Bracing for heartbreak apparently.

On another note, Steins;Gate was awesome. This will go down as a modern classic. Okabe is one of the coolest characters ever :lol:

On yet another note, Golden Boy anyone? If you haven't seen it check it out definitely!

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:04 am 

kiske_of_deth wrote:
I'm about half way through the first season of Clannad and I really don't get why everyone thinks this is so amazing so far. I'm enjoying it, but nowhere NEAR as much as I thought I would. Some of the stuff is just too woefully melodramatic, like a bad soap opera. I'll stick with it for the second season. Bracing for heartbreak apparently.

Yeah, the first season is just a nice little high school anime, but it's the second half of season two where shit gets real.

Quote:
On another note, Steins;Gate was awesome. This will go down as a modern classic. Okabe is one of the coolest characters ever :lol:

On yet another note, Golden Boy anyone? If you haven't seen it check it out definitely!

Slackin' on Steins;Gate, but Golden Boy is a very funny series. Especially if you like my swimming.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:38 pm 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Hellsing, if you somehow missed it. The new OVA's are better than the old series,...

I will say I enjoy the OVAs more than the older series, but wtf? Even a guy like me, that's scene some sick stuff, was irked at a particular flashback scene in one of the later episodes (you know which one). Also, I know they make a huge build-up to a huge battle, but isn't one of the episodes friggen' a half hour of the main villain just talking overhimself again and again about how awesome he is and how England is going to be destroyed and how the Reich will reign again? I was sooooooo bored, and I watch the ones with English subs so you know it's twice as dramatic. Still prefer it to the originals, though.

SuperVeji4
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:20 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Hellsing, if you somehow missed it. The new OVA's are better than the old series,...

...Also, I know they make a huge build-up to a huge battle...

You know, that's what I didn't like about the Hellsing manga. The whole thing is just one massive build up for one epic fight, and that's basically it. The series just ends right after that one fight. It would've been kind of cool if they had more missions, adventures, and story arcs for Alucard and the gang.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:27 pm 

B-But...gentlemen...

I like war... :(

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:58 pm 

Yeah, but it's all 1 big battle, and barely that. It's just a massacre of a lot of people by a bunch of douches, as well as those Catholic assholes (AAAAAAANTTTTONIEEEEE AAAAWWNNDURRRRRSSSSON!!). Next OVA won't even be out until November, last I checked.

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:31 pm 

I've been watching this show fo kids, kind of like Panda Z. It's called Nyanpire.
The whole thing it's so... Cute :lol:
I'm also learning how to make subtitles for series. I thought it would be a lot harder. But it is not.
I might start my own fansub at some point ;)

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:16 pm 

Young_Metalhead wrote:
I'm also learning how to make subtitles for series. I thought it would be a lot harder. But it is not.

I'm doing some touch-ups to DBZ at the moment to make the dialogue a little less corny. Have what they say match the context of what they're doing (within the limits, of course)

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:44 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Young_Metalhead wrote:

I'm doing some touch-ups to DBZ at the moment to make the dialogue a little less corny. Have what they say match the context of what they're doing (within the limits, of course)

:lol:
Now, I never saw the english evrsion of DBZ, but the spanish version was just perfect (and I think we've discussed that already).
I saw the latest OVA for DBZ, and it was subbed. I didn't liked it at all. Not because of the story, which was OK, but the whole japanese-talking-Goku is not good for anyone.
In any case, I already subbed chapter 1 from the fifth season of The Big Bang Theory, and the first episode of a new anime series called Phi brain.
It seems promising, though.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:34 am 

Man, must have completed 25 episodes of re-subbing. Stuff is time consuming! With my touch-ups, Vegeta's dialogue now sounds at least closer to what a pissed off, neglected adult would say rather than a minimum wage community theater script would have for him originally. More adult-oriented language, too, as it should be with guys blowing shit up.

Again though, I'm trying to keep it within the limits of the words, so that just because they speak Japanese, I don't make up dialogue. Words like Kiso (Kso, spelled differently sometimes) is contextual and can go from "damn it" to "shit" depending on the severity of the theme. So yeah, I try to keep it consistent.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:38 am 

So... right now i'm watching D Gray Man and let me tell you i'm loving it! It reminds me to FMA and Soul Eater at some points wich are really a big plus for me! :-P

Thoughs on that anime? :-D

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:37 pm 

IntoNevermore wrote:
So... right now i'm watching D Gray Man and let me tell you i'm loving it! It reminds me to FMA and Soul Eater at some points wich are really a big plus for me! :-P

Thoughs on that anime? :-D

My gf loves that. I downloaded it but hadn't had enought ime to wacth 103 episodes. But I will certainly do it at some point.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:11 pm 

For those who haven't yet seen Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt...go see Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt.

GAINAX have outdone themselves this time.

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:11 pm 

I just read a review on Panty & Stockings...
Seriously?

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:19 pm 

Young_Metalhead wrote:
Seriously?

Seriously.

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:32 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Young_Metalhead wrote:
Seriously?

Seriously.

That doesn't look like anime, man.
I don't know why but I got the ffeling that you should have said:
"Fucking seriously".

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:40 pm 

GAINAX made the series as an homage to American cartoons of the 90s. Thus, it looks like one!

And how could you resist a scene like this?

(The reason their lawyer is a monkey is because they were given a choice between The Oldest Lawyer, The Cheapest Lawyer, and The Lawyer with the Highest IQ. They went with Highest IQ. He's got an IQ of 65!!)

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:48 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
GAINAX made the series as an homage to American cartoons of the 90s. Thus, it looks like one!

And how could you resist a scene like this?

(The reason their lawyer is a monkey is because they were given a choice between The Oldest Lawyer, The Cheapest Lawyer, and The Lawyer with the Highest IQ. They went with Highest IQ. He's got an IQ of 65!!)

Yeah, I read that also... In any case... Fuck that monkey.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:54 pm 

Young_Metalhead wrote:
Fuck that monkey.

Objection!!

Gravemarker
The Bloody Heartland

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:05 pm 

Stein's;Gate is awesome, great characters, interesting plot, etc... I generally don't watch too much science fiction related anime but this one is too good to pass up.

One thing that's really disappointed me is the Persona 4 anime. Granted I've only seen the one episode that's out on Hulu, but that was easily one of the worst pilot episodes I've seen... the animations are lazy as hell, the art is lame, and the story is copied basically word for word from the videogame... it's really a shame, because P4 has such a great story that it could have made for an excellent anime. Oh well :(

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:03 pm 

Gravemarker wrote:
One thing that's really disappointed me is the Persona 4 anime. Granted I've only seen the one episode that's out on Hulu, but that was easily one of the worst pilot episodes I've seen... the animations are lazy as hell, the art is lame, and the story is copied basically word for word from the videogame... it's really a shame, because P4 has such a great story that it could have made for an excellent anime. Oh well :(

Oh shit, that's right! It's out now!

...Wait, what? D:

Gravemarker
The Bloody Heartland

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:24 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:

...Wait, what? D:

Yeah... I was pretty excited too. Prepare to be disappointed.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:26 pm 

Gravemarker wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

...Wait, what? D:

Yeah... I was pretty excited too. Prepare to be disappointed.

You had me scared for a moment, there. I was expecting it to suck.

But alas, I enjoyed (almost) every moment of both episodes. The pacing is a little off, but I have a feeling that'll fix itself with time.

bj_waters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:58 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
B-But...gentlemen...

I like war... :(

Then I heartily recommend Guin Saga. Imagine an anime Lord of the Rings starring Conan the Barbarian, if Conan had a leopard's head. Seriously, it's very cool.

As for my watching habits, I just rewatched Gurren Lagann (SO . . . INCREDIBLY . . . EPIC!!!). I need to start the second season of Squid Girl, the remake of Hunter x Hunter, and I'm totally missing THE NEW GUNDAM!!! I don't care if the characters looked like they walked off the set of Digimon, I like Gundam. It's going to be watched.

Iggnsthe
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:56 am 

Currently watching the Funimation sub of Black Butler. It's pretty amazing, at least so far, and has had more terrifying moments then I would have expected from the first episode. I honestly wasn't expecting too much from it, since my friend conscripted me into watching it with him after he became interested in it when somebody cosplaying as a character from the show won a cosplay contest at the KC Japan Festival. However, I'm glad that happened, since it's been a nice ride so far.

Also, the Hetalia movie comes out on DVD in the US this November! GET EXCITED!!!

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:57 am 

Screw Hetalia. :grr:

plagueofangels
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:18 am 

oniichan~

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 61  Next