Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:13 pm 

Started Shinsekai Yori as was suggested. It's pretty interesting so far, I get the feeling that this is going to get real dark real quick.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:03 pm 

Six episodes of P4:tA left to go. Since my critique is obviously going to be in comparison to the game, I can only really explain what I think was improved and what has suffered.

IMPROVEMENTS

The party in general: The fact that Yu isn't a silent protagonist now just adds an entirely new dimension to the group dynamic. They basically added an entirely new character this way, and I like that he's not just a stoic hero or something. He's a bit of a goofball at times, and it helps remind the audience that these guys are all still high schoolers. When shit goes down, they're ready to go, and when they have some free time, they do typical teenager shit and act like genuine friends. Granted, they did that in the game as well, sure, but with Yu having a bit more of an actual role in the group here it just works better.

Kanji: They way they handled Kanji is lightyears better than the game. Maybe it's just because he's the only team member who's Social Link I didn't complete on my first playthrough, but he always seemed like the least developed of the Investigation Team. He was sort of a one note joke early on and never really developed. Here he's a bit more three dimensional, with his occasional temper clashing with the fact that he obviously looks up to the rest of the cast since most of them are older than him. He seems more like the younger member of a group of friends who fits in just fine but is still a little insecure about it.
Spoiler: show
His sexuality is the real thing they handled better though. Yeah his introduction with the whole bathhouse dungeon is even more over the top and offensively homoerotic in the anime, but if you played the game it's softened a bit (like when his cronies grab Yu and Yosuke's ass and they just collapse with no more will to fight and when they do the queer eye thing to Chie and Yukiko and they just fly into a rage, it actually mirrors the fact that Shadow Kanji has attacks that poison the men and put the women in rage status), and everything after that is just much better. It's actually believable when he says that his confusing disposition doesn't really have anything to do with boys and girls, and that it's just more about the fact that he's so afraid of rejection and sees girls as generally being more judgmental that he just sorta gravitates towards one over the other. The camping trip was better because he seemed more genuinely offended at Yosuke's homophobia and left in more of an insulted rage than just FINE I'LL SHOW YOU I'M NOT GAY kinda thing. I like how his whole thing about just being an intimidating looking guy who happens to like cute shit is handled. His feelings towards Naoto are spelled out much clearer and that clarity actually adds to everything. Probably the most badass part of the entire series so far was just how he acted throughout the entirety of Naoto's dungeon, he's a fucking badass there and really seemed like the true hero of the team. And the whole section in the hospital after their physicals when he explains that it's less of an infatuation with her and more just the fact that he really respects her for how she accepted herself and sorta accidentally gave him the confidence to care less about his uncertainty and just be himself. For a show that's been so overt and on the nose with every joke and theme so far, there's a surprising amount of nuance involved in Kanji's character.

Comedy: The breather episodes are just god damned hilarious. It goes a little overboard with the stereotypical Japanese GUWAAAAH?? slapstick, and I'm a little sad they didn't keep the joke about Teddie pretending to be a stuffed toy on the school trip because that was one of the best parts of the entire game for me
.................I really gotta pee guys......
, but everything else is hilarious. The King's Game segment managed to be even funnier, which I was absolutely not expecting to be possible. The episodes where they burned through the stories of Sayoko, Hisano, Shu, Eri, and the Fox really quickly managed to stay consistently funny and heartwarming. Those breather episodes are consistently entertaining.

WHATEVER THE OPPOSITE OF IMPROVEMENT IS

Direction: Honestly, it's really the only problem but it's kinda big. The game was split pretty much 50/50 between overworld exposition/breather episodes where the team gets to unwind and long sections of dungeon crawling, combat, investigation, and toying with the Personas (I spent an unhealthy amount of time in the Velvet Room fusing shit). When there's only 26 episodes to work with, you really can't spend six hours of the characters wandering through a castle and keeping the combat interesting because of all the strategy involved. So really by nature of the medium itself it's kinda forced to spend considerably more time in the real world, and so instead of being a great blend of RPG action and lighthearted fun/exposition, it's more of a light school life anime with a mystery they remember to talk about sometimes and action sequences out of left field. It's like it's not really sure what to do, so the more involved parts of the game are an afterthought in the anime, and so the themes of accepting the darker parts of yourself are totally glossed over and sorta lost on what's being shown. The content of the filler episodes is still good, but unlike they game they feel less like welcome interludes and more like pointless annoyances. I just finished watching epsiodes 13-20 in one sitting, and in those eight episodes they've fought exactly one Shadow,
and since I know where the story goes from here, I know it's going to be at least one more episode before they go to Heaven and fight Kunino-Sagiri, so that's eight out of nine episodes in a row where they don't even bother entering the TV World or summoning Personas, which ya know, is what the entire series is named after.
So it's a little disjointed and the pacing kinda sucks, and depending on which aspect of the story you like more, you're gonna find really long stretches of boredom.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:43 pm 

Seiji Kishi is a really bizarre director. Sometimes, his work is incredibly shoddy (Persona 4: The Animation), but other times, he's so incredibly spot-on that it's almost supernatural (Carnival Phantasm). I'm fully convinced he is actually two people.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:35 pm 

Shinsekai Yori has gone from just interesting to batshit crazy to... very weird... I'm not sure what to think of this show. :lol:

EDIT: lemme just stress, VERY weird... Hoping this gets back on track soon.

EDIT again - spoke waay too soon, it's back on track :lol:

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:07 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Shinsekai Yori has gone from just interesting to batshit crazy to... very weird... I'm not sure what to think of this show. :lol:

EDIT: lemme just stress, VERY weird... Hoping this gets back on track soon.

EDIT again - spoke waay too soon, it's back on track :lol:

How many episodes into it are you?

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:45 pm 

hey wrote:
How many episodes into it are you?

I just finished episode 9. I think shit's about to hit the fan..

Okay, yup, the shit has hit the fan and now the whole room is a mess. I have no idea what's going on anymore. Whats-his-doodle is apparently a talking rock and that copycat done fucked up. I think I should probably just keep watching.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:46 pm 

Yo, JoJo's Barnacle Acupuncture is fucking awesome.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:23 am 

Alright, so I finally finished Shinsekai Yori and it was fantastic. Man, it took a bit for me to get hooked, but once things really got going it was amazing. That one is a fave for sure. Totally brilliant. @hey, thank you for recommending that. I really enjoyed it. Anybody have any other suggestions?

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:38 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Alright, so I finally finished Shinsekai Yori and it was fantastic. Man, it took a bit for me to get hooked, but once things really got going it was amazing. That one is a fave for sure. Totally brilliant. @hey, thank you for recommending that. I really enjoyed it. Anybody have any other suggestions?

Glad you enjoyed it!

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:26 pm 

So.... the new Berserk kinda sucks, huh? I don't know much about CGI animation but it's really stiff here. Guess it's understandable considering the budget constraints though but still, it's disappointing. And it's sooo fake as well. Faker than Lindsay Lohan.

Faaaaaake.

Pretty backgrounds, though.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:24 pm 

Berserk 2016 is an atrocity. Should've just given the series to Madhouse so it could be animated properly, if you ask me.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:27 pm 

Is the original Berserk worth watching? I've seen the first episode, but that's it.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:29 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Is the original Berserk worth watching? I've seen the first episode, but that's it.

The 1997 Berserk TV series is a goddamn national treasure, and the English dub for it is hilariously bad yet incredibly charming--I can't bear to watch the sub anymore. It's a low-budget series, but they make it work in their favor, giving the series a very gritty and bleak look with a lot of badass still frames. It fuckin' rocks, is what I'm saying.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:39 pm 

I'd love to read Berserk one day... but I'll die before it's over.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:42 pm 

What Zelkiiro said. The atmosphere is also something. Don't forget that the way it explores human relationships is quite interesting, too; it's just a tad deeper than typical anime (not that there's anything wrong with corniness per se though). In addition, it's pretty non-formulaic. Characters meet a variety of situations in a natural fashion, unlike even some of the best anime where the main character usually confronts problems using similar methods once every episode.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:03 pm 

Ok sweet, my first impressions left me with that it is a dark and menacing sort of show. I'll make sure to give it a shot after I'm finished with what I'm currently watching.

NaCl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:52 am 

Newfag here, don't mind me.

Any good anime that just started airing/is about to start airing? Do you think Violet Evergarden's going to be good or terrible?

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:14 pm 

I'm looking forward to Violet Evergarden, myself. The animation is stunning, and the premise sounds like it'll be pretty great. Kyoto Animation knows exactly what they're doing on everything they do, so if they decide they want to make a drama that elicits feels (as it sounds like), that's exactly what they'll make.

As for stuff currently airing, pffffffft. Not only do I just not watch stuff as it airs on principle (with few exceptions), but the summer season has nothing that interests me. But that's okay, because I've got a shitload of other stuff to slowly catch up on.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:16 pm 

NaCl wrote:
Newfag here, don't mind me.

Any good anime that just started airing/is about to start airing? Do you think Violet Evergarden's going to be good or terrible?

Dunno if you like old school battle shounen, but Jojo part 4 is airing right now. I'd highly recommend watching and/or reading all of it if you like that sort of thing. Plenty of fabulous poses and cool powers.

In other news, I finally started watching Patlabor after all these years. For those who don't know, it's basically like a goofy light-hearted cop show with robots. Absolutely hilarious and it's 80s as fuck. I love it so far.

AshaGreyjoy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:20 am 

Could anybody recommend me some anime that's similar to Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust? I'm looking for something really beautiful and atmospheric, some gothic imagery would be nice too

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:35 am 

:3

Last edited by stainedclass2112 on Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:07 am 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
SAO

NaCl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:17 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Well, decided to watch Sword Art Online and I'm glad I finally did. I found that to be completely stellar from start to finish. I enjoyed that so much, that was arguably the best I've ever seen. Of course, I'm super new to this stuff, but I'll go ahead and chalk that one to being just as good as Death Parade and another one that I won't name.

Well, brace yourself for hatred man. The anime is pretty damn overrated (not saying you can't enjoy it: it's pretty good for getting one hooked to anime!) and more experienced anime viewers hate it for its many flaws.

If you're new, I'd say you definitely need to check Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, Clannad, One-Punch Man, Full-Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood and JoJo for example. Some of those may or may not be interesting for the first few episodes, but they all get pretty darn good after, say, 10 episodes. I'd say you can sate your anime hunger with those first!

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:46 pm 

NaCl wrote:
Well, brace yourself for hatred man. The anime is pretty damn overrated (not saying you can't enjoy it: it's pretty good for getting one hooked to anime!) and more experienced anime viewers hate it for its many flaws.

If you're new, I'd say you definitely need to check Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, Clannad, One-Punch Man, Full-Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood and JoJo for example. Some of those may or may not be interesting for the first few episodes, but they all get pretty darn good after, say, 10 episodes. I'd say you can sate your anime hunger with those first!

Don't worry, I know how unpopular it is. :lol: That's actually the sole reason I haven't watched it until now. I didn't notice any big flaws or anything, but that's probably because I don't exactly have a refined taste, and I'm not into dissecting shows and movies. Do note that I said I enjoyed it rather than saying it was awesome, because I expected somebody to hate on me for it, and the dude below that post already did :lol:

I've seen all of those that you've mentioned except for One Punch Man. FMA Brotherhood is one of my favorites and I enjoyed the heck out of Clannad. The person who got me into this is a massive JoJo fan, so I've seen a lot of that too. Anything else really cool you've got?

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:29 pm 

If you enjoyed the trapped-in-a-game aspect of SAO and want something a little (or a lot) smarter, there's always Log Horizon and KonoSuba! If you want a shounen action/adventure series similar to FMA:B, look no further than Hunter X Hunter (2011) or Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann! If you want something that meshes gag comedy with hard-hitting drama like Clannad, try out Angel Beats or Fruits Basket!

NaCl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:58 am 

Well, what ^Zelkiiro said. I'd also add in Studio Ghibli's movies (in the very unlikely case you're never seen them? o.O). If you're into Clannad and other feels-inducing anime, I'd suggest that you watch more anime from Kyoto Animation, such as Melancholy of Harumi Suzumiya, K-On!, Kanon and maybe the up-coming Violet Evergarden. Other feels-type anime are Steins; Gate, Air and Angel Beats, which I recommend.

Then there's comedy: Nichijou, Sakamoto Desu Ga? and Daily Lives of Highschool Boys.

More on the shounen front: Ansatsu Kyoshitsu, Tokyo Ghoul , Death Note, Kuroshitsuji, Fate/Zero + Fate/Stay Night (2014), Log Horizon, Code Geass and Guilty Crown.

Now, keep in mind that I haven't seen all of these myself, but definitely will as some of them are in my backlog. But all of these are worth checking out, that's for sure~!

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:25 pm 

Thank you both for the suggestions, I'll make sure to check 'em out. :thumbsup: I've seen a good amount of what you mentioned NaCl, but not all. I haven't seen anything that you recommended Zelkiiro, which means I have some exploring to do.

Iggnsthe
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:25 pm 

Jeez, just finished watching Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, and what a wonderful experience it was. :3 Definitely worth a watch if you like seeing cute idiots doing cute and idiotic things. Nearly everyone turns out to be pretty likable, too, so that's a plus.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:53 pm 

Public service announcement, if you are considering watching the rewrite anime, DON'T. Don't even read the synopsis (that spoils too much).

I've read the visual novel like 2-3 years ago and absolutely loved it. Besides one route which had a lot of grating moments, most of the VN is incredibly enjoyable and there's some really unexpected twists and turns. It's much different from the usual Key VN (a lot of action), and it's one of those things I wish I could experience for the first time again. So as usual, there's an anime adaptation airing right now and I highly recommend you stay away. I've only watched the first episode (it was a double episode), but I can already tell you this is going to be horrible; I don't want to watch it anymore. First off, it's low budget as fuck with awful CGI everywhere and low-detail characters. Not a deal breaker, but it's a bad sign when the opening episode already looks awful visually. But more importantly, the plot is convoluted, extremely rushed, and totally breaks from the source material in a bunch of different ways. I can't really go into detail, but basically it spoils way too much way too fast and ruins the great sense of suspense the VN had. It's just really bad. If you want to experience Rewrite, read the VN. It'll be so much more rewarding especially if you don't know anything about it beforehand. I'm normally a completionist type that watches everything I feel I have a commitment to (just see the past pages where I whined about IBO and literally only watched it because it had Gundam in the title), but the first episode was so bad that I'm instantly dropping this. Just don't do it.

NaCl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:56 am 

So I just watched Howl's Moving Castle, after like 10 years (kind of watched half of it back when I was a little boy), and I must say I am at awe. The animation is was so lively and interesting (not to mention original in style)! I couldn't help but note how well they established the world and captivated its viewer from beginning to end: the town/city actually felt like people were living there, knowing each other, leading lives and -- most importantly -- had personality! Also, the world was full of mysteries and magic which weren't blatantly explained to us viewers. Just great world-building all around!

Now I kind of wish I hadn't watched it because it set such a high standard for anime all around... Well, off to see other Ghibli movies then!

Not metal, of course, but damn I love the main theme:

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:58 am 

Yeah it's rather underrated, that one. That movie was one of Ghibli's greatest imaginative peaks, with the super original lore and all.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:16 pm 

I've always preferred Isao Takahata over Miyasaki.

NaCl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:24 am 

Should I watch Persona 4: the Animation, or Persona 4 Golden? Are they both as good or is the other just simply better than the other? Thanks.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:11 am 

NaCl wrote:
Should I watch Persona 4: the Animation, or Persona 4 Golden? Are they both as good or is the other just simply better than the other? Thanks.

Play the game instead Both are extremely anemic, bare-bones adaptations of the glorious source, but if you must suffer through them, you need to watch regular P4A first. P4GA only covers the material added to Persona 4 Golden, and so it jumps around like a cricket on PCP and, if you didn't already play the game watch P4A, you will be so goddamn lost.

NaCl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:56 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
NaCl wrote:

Play the game instead Both are extremely anemic, bare-bones adaptations of the glorious source, but if you must suffer through them, you need to watch regular P4A first. P4GA only covers the material added to Persona 4 Golden, and so it jumps around like a cricket on PCP and, if you didn't already play the game watch P4A, you will be so goddamn lost.

I've watched someone play P4:G, so I know the story already. Thanks for telling me though, P4:A it is!

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:21 am 

Is it bad that the thing I'm looking forwards to the most this year is RWBY? :V

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

NaCl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:38 pm 

Gatherum wrote:

Well though I know I will be watching it, I'm sad that after Monty passed away the quality dropped a bunch. I'm personally fearing the worst but it can't be that bad, right?

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:01 pm 

Hibike! Euphonium S2 is the only thing 2016 has to offer me so far, along with Makoto Shinkai's new movie. Everything else I've seen from this year (Erased, the new Berserk) has been atrocious.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:59 am 

NaCl wrote:
Gatherum wrote:

Well though I know I will be watching it, I'm sad that after Monty passed away the quality dropped a bunch. I'm personally fearing the worst but it can't be that bad, right?

From an animation/fluidity standpoint, yes. Volume 3 raised the bar from the previous two in every other way possible, especially in its latter half.

They've switched from Poser to Maya from RWBY Chibi onwards, so I'm optimistic. I'm sure some episodes will have better animation than others, but I think it can really only go up from here.

Zelkiiro wrote:
Hibike! Euphonium S2 is the only thing 2016 has to offer me so far, along with Makoto Shinkai's new movie. Everything else I've seen from this year (Erased, the new Berserk) has been atrocious.

I understand decrying the pile of shit that is the new Berserk, but what was so bad about Erased? I guess its whole concept and execution will be hit-or-miss for some people, but atrocious...?

I agree with Sound! Euphonium 2, by the way: The whole show is like a deconstruction-then-reconstruction of K-On!, being a drama and music-oriented, with far more of a focus on the (classical, rather than pop) music than slice-of-life comedy, as well as a yuri. I love K-On!, but I also like that Kyoto Animation are covering their bases with something that breaks from the mold of your typical moe.

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

NaCl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:16 am 

I mean, just look at the difference of quality between S2 and S3 of RWBY. All of it was better in S2: the lighting, the choreography, the animation in general... e.g. Torchwick vs Blake/Sun or the train scene, VS any fight in S3. The only interesting battle in S3 was Mercury vs Yang. And the little bits of glimpses we got of Ironwood fighting.

The S4 teaser didn't seem like anything spectacular but I hope they will at least have more interesting action than the previous season.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 61  Next