Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:09 pm 

What made Evangelion watchable for me was the great music (only that of the series/TEoE, fuck the overdone choir bullshit in Rebuild... btw notice how the brass horns start playing when Rei's Eva comes up; just some subtle, oft-overlooked nuance that makes the theme more alluring), the balls to the walls violence (especially in TEoE, that death scene was kinda shocking to see), the tension buildups (some of the Angels sure did put up great fights), and the cool design of the Tokyo-3 Geofront (although it was barely explored in any detail. Shame). Child abuse, fan service shoved down the throat, douchebag unlikable characters, nonsensical writing... Yeah the negatives piled up fast, and then you had the weirdo Angels that came down to Earth with all their size and powers just to give some kids relationship advice, by mindraping them. o_O Still, it was OK, nothing that made me foam at the mouth. I dare say I enjoyed it more than 80% of TTGL for instance.

I think the worst thing about NGE is the fanbase. Pretty sure Japanophilia didn't exist pre-1995, because holy shit people enjoy sucking on Anno's depressed noodle.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:29 pm 

What kept me (and continues keeping me) watching Evangelion was Anno's direction. There was a perpetual, thick air of mystery and forbidden secrecy that permeated even the most light-hearted episodes--the same thick intrigue that helped make Xenogears one of the greatest PS1 games of all time, flaws and all--and I was yearning, outright starving to know the truth behind it all.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:41 am 

Makino wrote:
It's a shame Slice of Life anime (my favorite kind by far) are turning to all this queerbaiting recently, but I suppose I'm the one who keeps watching it in the end :lol:

I can't blame you for falling for Hibike's yuri bait, considering that most of the show is centered around grounded drama. When Kumiko and Reina get together, all that realism goes out the window so fast that it's hard to remember, "yeah, this is probably just yuri pandering and not a canon relationship." But whatever, it's nice to watch.

I finally started watching Fruits Basket. It doesn't seem super interesting so far, but it's a nice feel-good series. Tohru is ridiculously good-natured (in a way that doesn't come across as artificial) and impossible not to like, so that alone is worth seeing.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:47 am 

Metal_Detector wrote:
I finally started watching Fruits Basket. It doesn't seem super interesting so far, but it's a nice feel-good series. Tohru is ridiculously good-natured (in a way that doesn't come across as artificial) and impossible not to like, so that alone is worth seeing.

Ahhh, Fruits Basket. One of my earlier anime not seen on Toonami, and a humongous nostalgia button for me. It's a shame it's an incomplete adaptation, but while many fans decry the anime-original ending, I thought it was extremely well-done and tasteful. And Tohru is, indeed, a walking Crowning Moment of Heartwarming machine. Just a good goddamn slice-of-life dramedy with some of the best characters around.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:12 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
What kept me (and continues keeping me) watching Evangelion was Anno's direction. There was a perpetual, thick air of mystery and forbidden secrecy that permeated even the most light-hearted episodes--the same thick intrigue that helped make Xenogears one of the greatest PS1 games of all time, flaws and all--and I was yearning, outright starving to know the truth behind it all.

I'm absolutely down with the show-don't-tell approach. It's just that plot points rarely connected, and some of the supposedly major ones turned out to be completely useless (omfg the eva is now a god looookafghdjsjhfj *drama* oh btw it's just gonna sit there for the next 7 episodes and the epic conclusion. YUP.)

And shit I almost forgot; I get the feeling that Anno was just sitting in his chair going "hmm, so I've fucked everyone up so badly... but how can I fuck them up more? I know! INCEST and ORANGE JUICE."

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:30 pm 

There's this old anime movie that I used to love as a kid but don't remember its name... Maybe someone here could help! What I do remember:

-It was no newer than probably 1992 but is more likely from the 1980's.
-It's sci-fi and I think the bad guys flew around in big robots that if blown up, the heads (which looked like bug heads) could fly off to escape.
-There's a scene where the good guys go to this underground city where people drive around in cars with square wheels because they had never thought of round wheels.

Pretty vague, I know... but the square wheels thing at least stood out to me ~25 years ago so maybe it will to someone else who's seen it too haha.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:14 pm 

Paprika (2006).
Goddamn, this requires another viewing. Bursting with shit tons of ideas, so much it can't quite even condense it into a full-length feature, but maybe it's better that way. Love the vivid, 90's eurodance-inspired soundtrack as well. Messed up in some aspects, but never cynical; indeed, there are fucking beautiful bubbles of moments sandwiched between all the chaotic shit. I've heard Inception ripped it off, never watched it though, but the concept of a
Spoiler: show
collective dream with no real owner
sent chills up my spine once it was revealed, something that movie probably has I guess.

What are your opinions on it, guys?

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:19 pm 

So it looks like 2017 is going to be the big year for sequels and reboots (is this Hollywood)? Some of it I'm excited about, some of it I have mixed feelings about.

Here's what I've got so far:

Vague rumors that may be bullshit:
  • Supposedly a Haruhi announcement on December 18th (I can't read this, but that's the best I've got)
  • Panty & Stocking announcement in December (would be ecstatic for this; Gainax West is saying it's not just some phone game or pachinko crap)

Confirmed

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:36 pm 

I'm all onboard for Heaven's Feel--it was the only arc of the visual novel I genuinely liked, and ufotable can do no wrong with the franchise, if you ask me.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:42 pm 

LoGH? It's gonna be based on the novels. Weren't those the ones where they reverse some characters' genders?

FMP oughta be funas usual.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:48 pm 

Fun as usual? You make it sound like The Second Raid didn't air 10 years ago. :lol: That one should hopefully be good. I have high expectations for it, but I'm hoping the mechs stay 2D.

Also, the Heaven's Feel movies should rule. Seeing some of the VNs most iconic scenes animated well is a nice treat although I did have some minor qualms about the last anime (the second Archer/Lancer fight was kind of lame honestly). But I did love the epilogue addition at the end. That was pure fanservice (in a good, loving way).

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:52 pm 

Dudemanguy wrote:
Fun as usual? You make it sound like The Second Raid didn't air 10 years ago. :lol: That one should hopefully be good. I have high expectations for it, but I'm hoping the mechs stay 2D.

Also, the Heaven's Feel movies should rule. Seeing some of the VNs most iconic scenes animated well is a nice treat although I did have some minor qualms about the last anime (the second Archer/Lancer fight was kind of lame honestly). But I did love the epilogue addition at the end. That was pure fanservice (in a good, loving way).

Well yeah, I know it was a long time ago, but I read the manga only a few years ago and liked it a lot.

Never seen anything of the FSN franchise, so no clue. As for Code Geass, I pass. Eva rebuild 4.0? Still haven't seen the 3rd one, but I didn't care much about the 1st one. The 2nd movie was better but I didn't find the Mari girl a necessary addition.

This might be unpopular opinion since everybody seems to love the EoE as NGE's conclusion, but I happen to think that the 26 episode tv series is still the best Evangelion version out there. Yes, I like its ending. Got a problem with that? :-P

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:01 pm 

Zelkiiro and I have very sharp contrasting opinions on Type Moon. Apparently we both agree that Heaven's Feel is good though. :lol: Personally, I'm in the camp that you should read the visual novel first before anything else.

As for Rebuild, the first two movies are enjoyable enough. The second one is where the writing problems start showing up, and then the third one jumps off a cliff. It's fucking Anno, so I'll eventually watch it anyway, but yeah I'm expecting it to suck.

Personally, my interpretation for the ending is that the TV show is what's going on in the minds of characters while the movie is what's happening on the outside. EoE is utterly fantastic in my book though. Holy cow some of those scenes.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:06 pm 

It's good to see some Evangelion "love" here. It seems lots of people dislike or even hate it. It's quite a polarising series.

I think the reason why I liked Evangelion a lot the first time I watched it was because I was still a teenager at the time(watched it in 2006 when I was 15 years old) and was still fairly new to anime. So NGE was sort of a gateway anime to "more mature" anime for me. I could relate to Shinji somewhat. Nowadays, Eva doesn't really mean as much to me, but it's still a franchise that gives me good nostalgia vibes.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:13 pm 

I'm not saying that you can't dislike Evangelion, but I think a lot of people that do dislike it for "bad" reasons. You know like "Why doesn't Shinji just get into the robot?" and so on. Personally, I've always looked at the series as essentially a character drama with a mecha/supernatural backdrop. I get why some people wouldn't like that kind of thing, but I think it's very well done for what it is. Granted, I've always liked mecha and Gundam is basically as much about the character drama as it is about robots fighting, so it never rubbed me the wrong way.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:24 pm 

Oh yeah, many people are like that. "Why can't Shinji be a brave pilot", etc. They're missing the point of the series.

I liked the original Gundam and been watching Votoms on and off. It's also decent. Wasn't a big fan of the original Macross however. It just wasn't my thing.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:35 pm 

I love SDF Macross. It's also interesting experiencing a whiplash of crazy good and horrendous animation.

Never forget.

I'm too scared to pick up Macross Delta honestly. I know one of these days, I'm going to break down and watch it.

Last edited by Dudemanguy on Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:36 pm 

Well it did have its moments. The "PROTOCULTURE" moment has to be one of the most WTF moments ever in anime history. I was really taken aback by that shit :lol:

Gundam, despite its drama, had funny moments as well. gotta love Gundam slaps!

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:00 pm 

Did I hear a request for that Gundam slap compilation?

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:19 pm 

Gundam slaps are a classic!

And while we're talking about older anime, has anyone else besides me watched/read Kimagure orange Road here? I've heard it was big in France and Italy back in the day. But it never got an English dub, so I guess it was never licensed in USA.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:52 pm 

My only exposure to Kimagure Orange Road was through a series of reviews on a now-defunct website called Anime Academy. By the magic of WebArchive, here they are: TV, OVAs, Movie, Other Movie

There are still so many classics that were reviewed on the site that I need to hunt down and see. What really bristles my biscuit is that I followed the site for 10 years and had just finally been made a professor (a.k.a. one of the official review writers) and then, poof! The site died. >:{

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:52 pm 

And one of my favourite Jojo parts (part 4) just finished airing. I'm glad I got to see it animated, but I'll definitely miss it. Hopefully David Production will get part 5 rolling soon.

By the way, it looks like someone recorded some of the sneak peak of R3 of Code Geass that Sunrise showed at some promotion event. There's not much so far, but unfortunately it looks like the knightmares are CGI. It's hard to tell, so I could be wrong, but I think those shots are CGI.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:53 pm 

A lot of anime are integrating CGI into the animation nowadays simply because it's cheaper to do so. It's just that some studios (namely Kyoto Animation and ufotable) are really fucking good at using it, and other studios (A-1 Pictures) couldn't CGI their way out of a digitally-generated paper bag.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:00 am 

Sunrise still does hand drawn mechs depending on the show (ex. gundam is all hand drawn). Their CGI is OK (Akito used CGI knightmares), but I pretty much always prefer 2D mechs. It could just be that particular shot is CGI, but most of the mecha animation is actually 2D. The wire thing that comes out of the knightmare is definitely 2D at least. Also, I could just be flat out wrong and that is all 2D; it's hard to tell.

I'm starting to rewatch Code Geass now and over the break. It's been maybe like 7-8 years since I saw that show. I need a refresher.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:39 pm 

I'm finally on vacations and I want to watch an new anime, but nothing has really called my attention, the latest anime I watched was One Punch Man, but the other day, I caught some scenes from Avatar (the one with Aang) and I might rewatch it. What do you guys think of it? Do you like it as much as I do?

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:37 pm 

Avatar: The Last Airbender is fantastic, especially for a children's show. Many anime wish they were as well-written and well-rounded as Avatar is.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:38 pm 

I adored it as a child, but I recently rewatched it as a late-teen and it is indeed fantastic.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:33 pm 

Yeah the last airbender is very well done overall. It's a shame what happened to Korra.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:49 pm 

Was Korra even good? I tried to give it a chance but I had zero motivation to get past like episode 3. Unsure if it was the show's or my fault.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:36 pm 

It had pretty good animation (except for parts of season 2). Actually, I think season 3 was overall very good, but everything else had serious flaws.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:06 pm 

Weird, literally every single person I know who watched it loved the everloving crap out of Korra. Granted, don't take my word from it because I haven't watched it or Avatar, but based on word of mouth this is the first time I've seen anything negative about it.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:59 pm 

I think the opinion on it is probably pretty polarized depending on who you talk to. The ratings did plummet so bad during the second season (which was atrocious) that the show was taken off air and put online for seasons 3 and 4. There's a lot of things I could whine about off the top of my head which may or may not be exaggerated, but nobody can ever convince me that the
giant CGI robot in season 4 wasn't wildly out of place and not completely stupid.

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:23 am 

Dudemanguy wrote:
I think the opinion on it is probably pretty polarized depending on who you talk to. The ratings did plummet so bad during the second season (which was atrocious) that the show was taken off air and put online for seasons 3 and 4. There's a lot of things I could whine about off the top of my head which may or may not be exaggerated, but nobody can ever convince me that the
giant CGI robot in season 4 wasn't wildly out of place and not completely stupid.

That megazord gave me a chuckle when I first saw it. At least the Board game scythe tried to make mechs looks applicable to the time period. Korra just made it a joke. Kinda sucks too because the antagonist of that season was pretty decent

I thought season 3 was the best one of the korra series. That antagonist was pretty interesting, and the season finale was pretty intense. Much better than season 2, which was fine but save for a few episodes.

For a show with kids as the main demographic, this fight scenes were some of the best in anime i've seen that I can readily recall. I don't see a whole lot of smart action sequences that use their abilities and the environment in a clever way too often. Don't get me wrong, I love shows like claymore, FMA:B, and Fate:zero. But all of those shows have action sequences that are largely a little too straight forward. Maybe a flip or two here and there, but it's mostly just brute force against brute force. A:TLA and korra to some degree did a good job of making the fight scenes more complex than just blasting their opponents with whatever element they bended.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:44 am 

Oh good, I was hoping to vent a little bit. :P

Season 3 was the best season of Korra by a big margin. There's a some arguable asspulls/missteps, but overall it was surprisingly coherent, very entertaining and the finale was great. After the total shitfest that was season 2, it was quite a pleasant surprise. Season 4 started off good, but it went to crap after a while as well. Season 1 is sort of similar, it starts off on a good foot, but deteriorates in quality as you go on. Season 2 is definitely the worst one though. I don't even think people who like the show will contest that one.

One of the reasons why season 2 was so bad was because the animation was outsourced to Studio Periot for like half the season because Studio Mir. The drop in quality is really noticeable, and this is extra bad because the animation/fight scenes is basically the only reason why I would ever tell someone to watch Korra.
Also, the plot was completely stupid and totally incoherent. For example, why the hell did Unalaq invade the Southern Water Tribe? Why didn't he just wait until Harmonic Convergence to trick Korra into opening the spirit portal to get powers (why didn't any of the past avatars warn her about it earlier?) The only reason the portal was opened in the first place was because of a bunch of lucky coincidences. It's just so stupid. And then there's the part about the dark avatar, the jolly blue giant, and so on...

Another annoying thing about Korra is that she has like zero character development. It's a sharp contrast to TLA where the Gaang is reasonably well fleshed and has some actual depth. The characters grow and change and that's part of what makes a good story. Korra basically never changes throughout the entire series. To make it even worse, for some bizarre reason she spends most of her time getting her ass kicked only to have some random asspull show up and save the day. Korra is a rare case where I felt the main cast was actually underpowered. The Krew literally loses almost every single serious fight they are in. Hell, there are even times when they lose to faceless mooks. I remember a part in season 4 where Mako struggles against some basic run-of-the-mill enemies. It's just absurd. Aren't you supposed to be a talented bender? You can argue that the Gaang was too competent/overpowered, but the show made that fairly clear from the start that everyone was a prodigy. It worked that well into the plot and any of the serious real fights against named characters were well-done and hardly a one-sided beating. Korra is like completely the opposite. Everyone is basically totally incompetent and they never improve besides Bolin. Korra is basically the shittiest Avatar ever for 4 seasons and still somehow "wins" because things get handed to her.

A:TLA and Korra were lucky enough to have big bucks behind them hence the consistently high level quality of animation. Most anime is produced on a shoestring budget and on a tight time schedule, so you can't have that. That being said, there are some shows out there with some really nice animation. Naturally, a lot of it is Movies and OVAs, but some TV shows are lucky enough to have a good budget behind them. Of course right now I can only think of a mecha example, but G-Reco is an example of a recent show that had some incredible animation. I really loved the choregraphy and art on that one. Bravo Tomino.

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:55 am 

Regarding your point about how the cast was underpowered, even if it is for worse, that's still an interesting route to take. There's hundreds of shows that fall into the pit of overpowered main characters, and they basically steamroll the plot until they finally face a main antagonist. You know that at any given fight, if one of the protagonists is fighting a mob of mooks, we are just going to see them show off. Not witness the characters in any real danger. Classic case of plot armor. The heroic legend of Arslan comes to mind for me (mainly because that's what I am currently watching) but also because they violate this rule like they're doing it intentionally. Any character that is given a name will is never in any danger unless they face another character that is given a name.

I do see your point though, and know exactly what you're talking about in terms of Korra. The main characters now and again did feel like a couple of buffoons just being punk teenagers. When the main characters are incompetent it's not satisfying. I'm not saying they need to overcome every obstacle with flying colors, but I also feel like the show was inconsistent now and again with them actually putting up a decent fight versus them sucking.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:19 am 

Dudemanguy wrote:
  • FLCL (knew about this already; I don't have high hopes)

Why the fuck would you attempt to continue something as perfect as FLCL? There is simply too much that could go wrong here.

I mean, I'll give it a chance, but I am seriously afraid.

Also, I've never seen anything in The Last Airbender franchise, but the impression I get is that The Legend of Korra is so highly acclaimed not because of its animation, but because it managed to break quite a bit of ground in terms of what is deemed appropriate in a children's show. Its cast was ethnically diverse, it didn't arbitrarily stick to heteronormative perspectives on romance and companionship, and apparently featured political plotlines and themes that were far more complex than the black-and-white drivel typical of children's shows. I can't vouch for the show's quality otherwise, but some things are just good on principle.

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

Eunuch666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:17 pm 

Drunk and just spent an hour writing an educated response to this thread and accidently erased everything I bothered to write... long story short, if someone who didn't get to experience FLCL for what it was back in the day gets a chance to feel what it's all about today, then it's worth it... FLCL is one of my personally favorite anime's and if they don't fuck up it's continuity then so be it.

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:28 am 

Gatherum wrote:
The Legend of Korra is so highly acclaimed not because of its animation, but because it managed to break quite a bit of ground in terms of what is deemed appropriate in a children's show.

well, that could be part of it, but for the most part I think it's because its part of a previously well received series. And like Dudemanguy said, it's acclaim only lasted about half way through the entire series.

Gatherum wrote:
Its cast was ethnically diverse

I guess, but so was A:TLA cast. Even then, it was only 2 ethnicities. Everyone in the aribender world is generally either Asian Or Inuit.

Gatherum wrote:
it didn't arbitrarily stick to heteronormative perspectives on romance and companionship

I'm not sure in what sense you mean arbitrary, but there was a plot line where 2 characters did have a needless and completely emotionless romance.

Gatherum wrote:
and apparently featured political plotlines and themes that were far more complex than the black-and-white drivel typical of children's shows.
This is true. The season 4 antagonist was more complex political reasons for her actions, as opposed to just wanting to take over the world. While not political, I believe the season 3 antagonist also had more reasonable motives behind what he was doing. The original series just made the fire nation out to be straight Nazis that just wanted to rule the world.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:40 pm 

Critics are overrated anyway. It's just people who get paid to have opinions. Anyway, most critics have given Korra a fairly positive reception overall although I agree that it's mainly just because it's the sequel A:TLA.

Eh, "more complex political reasons" is overselling season 4's antagonist. Granted, you're not technically wrong, but it's not like they did much with her. Funnily enough, season 4 of Korra has the concentration camps not A:TLA.

As for the villains in the Avatar universe, Azula is the best by a mile and I don't think that's a controversial statement. Ozai was surprisingly pretty generic, but eh he barely existed on screen to begin with. Sozin had a decent motivation I thought; of course, he was still a douchebag, but it was something.

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:02 pm 

I agree with Azula being the best in the entire series. Zhao I would say comes in at a close second for me. Reminded me a lot of Grand Moff Tarkin. Calm, confident, but not cartoonishly evil at the same time. Sozin on the other hand, I have to disgaree.
Wasn't his motive for even starting the war just because he wanted to share his country's prosperity with others? He wasn't even that much of a douche prior to bringing up the idea to Roku. It wasn't until after he had already decided that we found out that Sozin was a jerk. I could understand if there was an old hatred against the fire nation had against the earth kingdom, which lead to the rest of the world joining in. but just because you want to take over the world? idk, that's kinda lame in my book.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 61  Next