Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:09 pm 

kimiwind wrote:
Anyone here is fan of Digimon season one? They are my all time fav series. Really great show. The second season wasent bad, but from season three and up it started to suck and the storyline took another direction that i personally didnt appreciate.

Digimon FTW. As you said exactly. Season 1 is the best, season 2 was not band but from season 3 the whole thing sucked.
I remember watching Digimon 4 though and not being that bad...

Onikage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:18 pm 

I watched Digimon as a kid. The Finnish dub is awesomely bad.

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:28 pm 

Onikage wrote:
The manga of Akagi is still on-going, so what happens at the end of the anime isn't the conclusion of the story. I hope they make a second season.

Or at the very least, an OVA or something that properly covers the last two rounds of the match against Washizu, I'd be happy with just that. If possible, before they animate the third and fourth seasons of Kaiji.

And to top it off, the manga isn't fully translated, there's a gap starting from the late stages of the match against Urabe. :(

TheMartyrOfBeauty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:59 pm 

This thread reminded me that I need to go finish Denpa Onna and catch up with Hanasaku Iroha. How's Usagi Drop, by the way? I've had the manga lying around somewhere in my hard drive for a while, but I never got around to actually reading it.

chaosphere_1994
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:55 pm 

Young_Metalhead wrote:
kimiwind wrote:
Anyone here is fan of Digimon season one? They are my all time fav series. Really great show. The second season wasent bad, but from season three and up it started to suck and the storyline took another direction that i personally didnt appreciate.

Digimon FTW. As you said exactly. Season 1 is the best, season 2 was not band but from season 3 the whole thing sucked.
I remember watching Digimon 4 though and not being that bad...

Yeah Season 1 and 2 were awesome. The dubs were really well done especially the Digimons' voices, although I don't know how it compares to the original VA since I haven't watched the subbed versions. Wish that the final battles were longer though, would've been more awesome.

I'm not sure about season 3, 4, 5 and 6 since I haven't watched them. I heard Tamers (season 3) was pretty good; should I watch it sometime? Also, what do you guys think about the newest season (Xross Wars)? I read a little about it and the new "digivolution" reminds me of Daigunder, lol.
Spoiler: show
What the hell did they do to Metalgreymon?!

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:45 pm 

Personally I loved season 3 of digimon. I thought it dealt with some much more interesting and darker themes than season 2 did, and only had one bad arc (the bit where they first go to the digital world is very bland until Impmon digivolves). Season 1 probably wins out for me due to some serious nostalgia, but Season 3 is a close second.

I haven't checked out anything after season 3 because I've heard bad things, and the further away they get from the original concept, the less interested I am in watching it.

Side note: did you know that Season 3 was written by the same guy who wrote for Serial Experiments Lain? Makes some sense if you think about it.

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:08 am 

I've never bothered to see the season 3 and 4 of Digimon, only the 1 (which is one of the best i have seen in all the animes i have seen)
Haha, i think the same happened with Pokemon, i only bothered with at least the first 250 pokemon (they're more than 350 now, perhaps 450 or 550, i don't know) 'cause i don't know exactly what season, Pokemon is such and endless anime and very repetitive.

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:22 am 

Pfuntner wrote:
Side note: did you know that Season 3 was written by the same guy who wrote for Serial Experiments Lain? Makes some sense if you think about it.

Interesting fact, gotta check some of that stuff. You are the first person to ever say that Digimon Tamers was good.

The thing with Pokemon is that Ash is still a fuckin teenager despite the fact that almost 13 years have passed since the first Pokémon chapter was aired. At least Goku grew up :lol:

And yeah, I was watching the other day on the Cartoon Network some episodes of the new Pokémon and they don't even focus on battles now, it's all about being a Pokémon Coordinator or even worse, a Pokémon Breeder... And the fact that there are now (officially) 493 Pokémon... It's just... Ugh...

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:24 am 

Anyone know any good romance oriented fantasy anime? I ask for no reason.

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:00 am 

493? And don't even focus on battles now? What a boring cartoon.

phibzy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:48 am 

Young_Metalhead wrote:
The thing with Pokemon is that Ash is still a fuckin teenager despite the fact that almost 13 years have passed since the first Pokémon chapter was aired.

Tell me about it, I saw an episode for the first time in ages a few weeks ago (used to watch 1st/2nd gen when it aired) and I just cracked up.

After 2nd gen it went to complete shit anyway in my opinion, both the show and the games.

While on the subject of pokemon, did anyone ever play the trading card game? I remember I used to be addicted to it, still have stacks of cards lying around the house somewhere.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:38 am 

I was actually in the official pokemon league back when i was 11 or 12 . Good times, just a room full of like 50 people, all playing. Every month or so they went to a new badge, so you could challenge the "Gym Leaders" and get badges form them if you won. Goood times, gents.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:17 am 

^ That sounds good, i have my own cards, but i never entered in a tournament. Good time, anyway.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:22 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:

Maybe Escaflowne, not sure which degree of romance or fantasy you want. If you want something bloodier and more violent, 3 x 3 Eyes, if you don't mind it being unfinished. You could also try Ayashi no Ceres, if you want more romance and less fantasy.

DemonX99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:36 pm 

Just finished every episode of Death Note; such an amazing show, though it got kind of slow in episodes 20+. I purchased Akira the other day at FYE because I've heard so much about it, so definitely going to check it out later tonight.

TheMartyrOfBeauty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:18 pm 

DemonX99 wrote:
I purchased Akira the other day at FYE because I've heard so much about it, so definitely going to check it out later tonight.

The movie or the manga? I still have to finish reading the manga, but the movie is just simply a masterpiece. Fantastic soundtrack too.

Onikage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:26 am 

The manga of Akira is better than the film. I love both, but the film only covers a small part of the comic books' story. It doesn't have any of the stuff with Tetsuo and Akira reigning over Neo-tokyo,. The artwork is just as meticulous and detailed as the animation was in the film.

Wearing my Akira shirt right now.

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:22 am 

Just finished watching AnoHana, my god what an amazing ending. I don't think any anime ending had me shedding tears like this did.
A great story, definitely worth watching.

Nephilum667
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:23 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:

Sekirei (it's about a man who encounters a being named a sekirei, they become friends, fall in love, and crazy stuff happens) it's available on Netflix. if you don't have it, this site (http://www.anime-sub.com/all-anime-series-list) may have it available. I highly recommend it (it has a good blend of comedy, romance, and a somewhat philosophical touch that makes it an interesting work).

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:45 am 

So after finishing Akagi I started with Excel Saga. Can anyone tell me what the hell am I watching? Does it even have a coherent plot? Not that I don't like random comedy, but I'm thinking maybe I should take this one in small doses to prevent my brain from melting.

On a related note, and seeing how Appleseed XIII is very unlikely to get subs, I decided to sample a few shows that are airing now, and I think I'll be following Penguindrum. Based on the first few minutes, I was expecting a "drama llama" type of show, until the second half of the episode grabbed me by the balls and started slapping me in the face with a trout. Also Nyanpire seems a good candidate to fill the "short and silly anime" slot now that Fireball Charming is over. On the other hand, No. 6 looked too much like a Fractale copycat, so I'll probably end up dropping it 'cause I'm not going throught THAT again.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:25 pm 

Thanks guys, that should cover things for now!

phibzy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:02 am 

In the past two days I managed to get through all of Toradora! and Star Driver, both of which were pretty good.

Toradora's ending could have been done better, it was so badly rushed and nearly pissed me off until I watched the final scene after the credits. Overall though it was quite good.

Star Driver on the other hand was pretty damn good, it had a really good soundtrack to back it up as well and the ending was not rushed at all, allowing for a quite epic final scene.

techthrasher324
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:06 am 

I loved the first season of Digimon. I didn't care for the second so much, but the third was actually almost as good as the first. The fourth season sucked, and the fifth season was goods but dragged on unnecessarily.

KazolOrajia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:44 am 

TheMartyrOfBeauty wrote:
This thread reminded me that I need to go finish Denpa Onna and catch up with Hanasaku Iroha. How's Usagi Drop, by the way? I've had the manga lying around somewhere in my hard drive for a while, but I never got around to actually reading it.

IMO, Usagi Drop is the best anime of the season. Absolutely gorgeous art, fluid animation, very cute, good balance of pathos and humour, and overall a very realistic and moving series.

I'd also recommend Ikoku Meiro no Croisee, another one from the new season.

fjällvinter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:51 am 

I've seen 4 ep from the 2nd season of Kaiji. It looks promising! but Kaiji still is a total mess.

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:59 pm 

Gelal wrote:
So after finishing Akagi I started with Excel Saga.

And I just finished it. It was fun, and Watanabe (the director, not his self-insert in the series) is definitely crazy, but I was expecting more from the last episode, after hearing the stories about how it didn't air on TV "because it was too much". Still, a must see for fans of random comedy.

I think I'll go for a drama next (so either Anohana or Ef), I've had enough comedy for a while with Excel. That will give me time until I download the Excel Saga spinoff, seeds are slow as a comatose snail.

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:10 pm 

Gelal wrote:
Gelal wrote:
So after finishing Akagi I started with Excel Saga.

And I just finished it. It was fun, and Watanabe (the director, not his self-insert in the series) is definitely crazy, but I was expecting more from the last episode, after hearing the stories about how it didn't air on TV "because it was too much". Still, a must see for fans of random comedy.

I think I'll go for a drama next (so either Anohana or Ef), I've had enough comedy for a while with Excel. That will give me time until I download the Excel Saga spinoff, seeds are slow as a comatose snail.

Wel, I really recommend AnoHana, and since you're from Spain I'm guessing you should speak Spanih :lol: so SPM fansubs did a great job with that. You can get it somewhere in my blog, but the only problem is that it is in HDD quality and every episodes is about 300MB... But if you're Ok with that, then terrific, go watch it.

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:05 am 

Young_Metalhead wrote:
Well, I really recommend AnoHana, and since you're from Spain I'm guessing you should speak Spanish :lol: so SPM fansubs did a great job with that. You can get it somewhere in my blog, but the only problem is that it is in HDD quality and every episodes is about 300MB... But if you're Ok with that, then terrific, go watch it.

I already have gg's version, in HD with English subs (I prefer English subs because there's only one translation; Spanish groups usually translate from English, so they're effectively translating a translation*), but thanks for the rec anyway. I didn't know that group, and it's always good to know more of them. ;)

* SPM does this according to their blog. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but with each translation the risk of making mistakes or missing details (specially in the meaning of certain things, or in stuff that just has to be adapted 'cause a direct translation simply does not work, which is very common in japanese jokes based on a play on words; there's always TL notes, of course, but then you have to pause to read them and the joke is not funny anymore).

EDIT: Fuck yeah, Appleseed XIII got subs!

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:09 pm 

Looks like this thread is still alive!!!
Anyway, I finished watching Higschool of the Dead after a looooong time. Nothing bad, but too ecchi for my taste.
A second season has been announced.

Has any of you checked the Autumn anime schedule for this year?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:11 pm 

Berserk movies and Persona 4 anime, FUCK YEEEAAAAHHH!!

LeetMetalhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:51 pm 

Just finished Darker Than Black, and now it's definitely in my top 10 anime series ;) However, I did think the plot wasn't quite as detailed/complex as I expected it to be, but of course I easily ignored that thanks to the amazing character depth and the philosophies in the dialogues. Overall it was an excellent series, and I recommend it to ALL OF YOU (who enjoy seinen anime at least).

Last edited by LeetMetalhead on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:54 pm 

LeetMetalhead wrote:
Just finished Darker Than Black, and now it's definitely in my top 10 anime series ;) However, I did think the machines becoming human-like theme was a bit of a cliche and that the plot wasn't quite as detailed/complex as I expected it to be, but of course I easily ignored all of that thanks to the amazing character depth and the philosophies in the dialogues. Overall it was an excellent series, and I recommend it to ALL OF YOU (who enjoy seinen anime at least).

My thoughts on this show:
First season: Andre Dice Clay, "YEAaeaeaha!"
Inter-season OVAs: :scratch:
Second season: depressing lolicon
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:21 am 

Ahh, the only anime that is on the TV now is Dragon Ball Z, and Bakugan, but i don't care too much for Bakugan: Is a mix of Pokermon/Digimon and YugiOh!

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:56 am 

I'm planning on catching up on some old school classics. Mobile Suit Gundum, Fist Of The North Star, stuff of that ilk. Can't wait to act all smug about how the "genre totally started sucking around 199x".

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:19 am 

Pfuntner wrote:
I'm planning on catching up on some old school classics. Mobile Suit Gundum, Fist Of The North Star, stuff of that ilk. Can't wait to act all smug about how the "genre totally started sucking around 199x".

The 90s and early 00s were awesome. It's just been around 2005 or so that good anime started coming out less often (e.g. instead of 5 or 6 great series a year, there'd only be 1 or 2).

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:39 pm 

i got out of my anime phase a long time ago. but i recently fell back into it.

i just finish clannad & clannad afterstory... yeah.. good anime ... but.. yeahhh..
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:11 pm 

Suffersystem wrote:
i just finish clannad & clannad afterstory... yeah.. good anime ... but.. yeahhh..

I know exactly what you're talkin' about. Good thing I watched it alone.

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:34 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Suffersystem wrote:

I know exactly what you're talkin' about. Good thing I watched it alone.

fucked up..
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:42 pm 

Nephilum667 wrote:
John_Sunlight wrote:

Sekirei (it's about a man who encounters a being named a sekirei, they become friends, fall in love, and crazy stuff happens) it's available on Netflix. if you don't have it, this site (http://www.anime-sub.com/all-anime-series-list) may have it available. I highly recommend it (it has a good blend of comedy, romance, and a somewhat philosophical touch that makes it an interesting work).

2nding sekirei.

you know any more on netflix?

Gravemarker
The Bloody Heartland

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:04 pm 

Just finished We, Without Wings - Under the Innocent Sky. The plot follows three different protagonists: a timid high school student, a goofy part time waiter/writer, and a self-employed construction worker and their misadventures in the city. At first I found the story to be pretty confusing and weird, but after a few episodes one the threads start connecting and it became really enjoyable. The series is generally lighthearted and off the wall, delivering some hilarious laugh out loud moments (the second half of the seventh episode had me laughing through the whole thing), but the serious moments near the end of the series are pulled off just as well. There's fanservice, and a lot of it- most of which I found to be pretty lame and detrimental to the experience. Overall, WWW delivers an solid story about psychology and escaping reality, with a good serving of humor and a diverse, interesting cast of characters. I recommend it, and suggest that if you're going to give it a try make sure you watch you watch the first few episodes before writing it off- it takes a while to get good.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 61  Next