Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Spiralfilm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:25 pm 

I am currently watching Samurai Champloo, sort of influenced by Cowboy bebop, though whatever Shinichiro Watanabe touches it inevitably turns to gold.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:29 pm 

Spiralfilm wrote:
I am currently watching Samurai Champloo, sort of influenced by Cowboy bebop, though whatever Shinichiro Watanabe touches it inevitably turns to gold.

Probably my favorite anime when all is said and done.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:17 am 

I recently started watching Ergo Proxy, as I remembered seeing someone recommend it on the site. So far I'm digging it. It reminds me of Blade Runner and Ghost In The Shell, but it's a hell of a lot better than GitS. Obviously I'm not far enough in to make any real judgements on it, but I like what I've seen so far.

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:33 pm 

Pfuntner wrote:
I recently started watching Ergo Proxy, as I remembered seeing someone recommend it on the site. So far I'm digging it.

Yep, me too. It's kind of cool but it would have to wait until I'm done to post my definitive opinion. :lol:

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:14 pm 

Young_Metalhead wrote:
Pfuntner wrote:
I recently started watching Ergo Proxy, as I remembered seeing someone recommend it on the site. So far I'm digging it.

Yep, me too. It's kind of cool but it would have to wait until I'm done to post my definitive opinion. :lol:

The first few episodes are engaging, but don't expect that to last, the lacking qualities of the characters and their drab monologues quickly make up for the beginning excitement....

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:45 pm 

Ergo Proxy was good, not great. Had some cool moments throughout. I remember the ending being terrible though.

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:25 am 

Xeogred wrote:
Ergo Proxy was good, not great. Had some cool moments throughout. I remember the ending being terrible though.

But that happens with most animes, those japenese are great at doing awful endings for their series...

MetalheadPatagonico
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:12 am 

TheNiceNightmare wrote:
Ehm... I like hentai. :oh shit:

Hahaha, good.

I like Code Geass, Saint Seiya and Gundam, that are my favorite series.

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:09 am 

I'm also watching Noir, has anyone else watches this?
It's about two female assassins that seem to be unrelated to each other at first, but slowly start to figure out some sort of relation between them... And it is kind of weird, I don't know...
You may want to try it if you are into the whole "girls with guns" genre...

Blacklinkz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:55 am 

Young_Metalhead wrote:
I'm also watching Noir, has anyone else watches this?
It's about two female assassins that seem to be unrelated to each other at first, but slowly start to figure out some sort of relation between them... And it is kind of weird, I don't know...
You may want to try it if you are into the whole "girls with guns" genre...

Only Noir is True...

Excellent anime, indeed. A fairly intricate and interesting trama, and one of the most awesome soundtracks EVER.

http://intothepandemoniumes.blogspot.com Blog with reviews, articles and other nerdy stuff. Spanish only :/

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:10 am 

Blacklinkz wrote:
A fairly intricate and interesting trama, and one of the most awesome soundtracks EVER.

I just downloaded them, and you were right.
Fucking awesome soundtracks.

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:42 pm 

I just got back from Momocon (an anime convention at Georgia Tech), and while there I picked up the Toradora premium edition boxes! Incredibly expensive but so worth it!

Currently, I'm watching Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, Kore wa Zombie, and Spice and Wolf II. They seem pretty great so far (especially Madoka). I just finished both seasons of Genshiken, which was also quite good.

And yeah, I thought Ergo Proxy was good but for the ending as well.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:53 pm 

Blacklinkz wrote:

Only Noir is True...

Excellent anime, indeed. A fairly intricate and interesting trama, and one of the most awesome soundtracks EVER.

The only issue I had with that show was the utter lack of blood considering all the slaughtering going on in each episode. I think it had to do with what network it was originally shown.
Chloe was a cool character.
I actually bought the soundtrack on cd years ago.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:51 pm 

Just finished Berserk and now I'll continue with Cowboy BeBop... yes, pure win.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:15 pm 

Finished Arakawa Under the Bridge season 1 recently, loved it.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:59 am 

I just finished watching Basilisk, and I quite enjoyed it. I'm looking for more like it, as in badass swordfights (Kooky powers are optional, but I dig 'em) with a teensy bit of political stuff going on.

Onikage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:34 am 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
I just finished watching Basilisk, and I quite enjoyed it. I'm looking for more like it, as in badass swordfights (Kooky powers are optional, but I dig 'em) with a teensy bit of political stuff going on.

Shigurui, it's an extremely violent samurai anime with an interesting story. However, it's done in a much more realistic way than most animes, which some people might find boring.

ArtificialStupidity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:46 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
Spiralfilm wrote:

Probably my favorite anime when all is said and done.

Yes, yes! I have the boxset. Mugen and Jin were truly badass characters. I like how Watanabe keeps the story line minimalistic and focuses on developing the personas and relationships. I've recently been watching Cowboy Bebop. I stopped watching Gungrave because there was an enormous flashback that was a little turnoff to me at least.

Arkannen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:31 pm 

Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Berserk, Trigun, Hellsing. There you have it, the cream of the crop.

Bebop and Champloo with their ingenious fusion of music and various subcultures. I loved the hip-hop elements in Champloo, it gives a truly unique feel. And the jazzy feeling of Bebop, oh man. Perfect series.

And Berserk has one truly epic storyline. It's enough to say that the anime (26 episodes) is just an intro to the manga. And it's not anything like those shounen crap series with endless fillers, don't get me wrong. Berserk is sickening, bloody, erotic, tense. A must watch/read.

Now, "a tier 2" of sorts would be anime like Claymore, Higurashi no naku koro ni, Fate/Stay night, Gungrave, Strait Jacket... Well worth the watch.

This is all purely subjective, of course. I'm not some expert in anime, but I know enough to respect the true classics. Bebop is something everyone should at least try.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:05 pm 

True classics are from the late 90's apparently? :lol:

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:31 pm 

Onikage wrote:
Trashy_Rambo wrote:

Shigurui, it's an extremely violent samurai anime with an interesting story. However, it's done in a much more realistic way than most animes, which some people might find boring.

I'll definitely check it out, thanks.

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:44 am 

Xeogred wrote:

What's to keep it from being considered a classic? Over 10 years later it is still heralded as one of the best of all time and hasn't lost much steam, as far as fanbase goes. And you know, some people say "that they just don't make them like that anymore." :)

I understand where you are coming from, but Cowboy Bebop can already be considered a classic. At least, in my opinion.

ShadowFusion
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:20 pm 

This has to be one of the strangest things out there, but in my opinion it's one of the best and funniest things out there.
Nekojiru Gekijou:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWnkOvi4i6c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uy8tq4jQ_s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSWp1HbPJ6Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqEMyYE4iw4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3IXa2GkHfI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwowOPIAn0Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi91T2fkJZE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=incdWac7qLk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1NTJFslLwg

Very short episodes, 27 in total and they all together don't even reach the 1 hour mark.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:54 pm 

VictimsOfDeception wrote:
Xeogred wrote:

What's to keep it from being considered a classic? Over 10 years later it is still heralded as one of the best of all time and hasn't lost much steam, as far as fanbase goes. And you know, some people say "that they just don't make them like that anymore." :)

I understand where you are coming from, but Cowboy Bebop can already be considered a classic. At least, in my opinion.

Well I'm just saying when I think "classics", 70/80's shows spring to mind. But I guess some from the 90's can count, kind of as we regard some early 90's metal releases as classics.

ArtificialStupidity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:21 pm 

ShadowFusion wrote:

I've only seen Cat Soup, the movie. That was quite a trip!

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:59 am 

Someone just recommended me "Nightwalker", has someone seen it?

I downloaded it (just 12 episodes) but I'm still watching Bleach (for some reason, it's getting kind of interesting after 190 episodes...) so it would have to wait.

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:04 am 

Xeogred wrote:
VictimsOfDeception wrote:
Xeogred wrote:

Well I'm just saying when I think "classics", 70/80's shows spring to mind. But I guess some from the 90's can count, kind of as we regard some early 90's metal releases as classics.

Oh, I definitely see where you are coming from. I'm just saying that the way that Cowboy Bebop is heralded as one of the greatest of all time kind of makes it a classic by default.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:00 pm 

Spiralfilm wrote:

I copied the entire series off a friend of mine. Admittedly i've never been into anime, but the dude reckoned i'd like this. Gotta say i really couldn't get into it. No big surprise, i'll keep leaving the anime to other people, i guess.

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:34 pm 

Only Panda Z is true!

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:41 am 

Has anyone here watched Nightwalker and Petshop of Horrors?
I just downloaded them as a friend of mine told me they were great.

Oh and BTW, omakes are what make BLEACH worth it ;).

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:04 am 

Are there any similar animes to Berserk? By that I mean violent, dark, good storyline, demons and a medieval (preferably European style) setting. I've seen Guin Saga and Claymore and wasn't satisfied. Claymore became shit in the last episodes. Guin Saga was inconsistent.

Ghetsis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:16 am 

Belial wrote:
Are there any similar animes to Berserk? By that I mean violent, dark, good storyline, demons and a medieval (preferably European style) setting. I've seen Guin Saga and Claymore and wasn't satisfied. Claymore became shit in the last episodes. Guin Saga was inconsistent.

Vinland Saga, it's a manga, but it's worth a read.

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:13 am 

I thought my thread had died... In any case, I started to watch Elfen Lied but so far I haven't liked it. Ergo Proxy on the other hand is pretty interesting.

I also downloaded this thing called Chaos Head, looks promising along with Angel Sanctuary...
I'm just waiting 'til I have enough time to wacth 'em all.

Iggnsthe
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:15 am 

This just in: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is completely amazing and surpasses the original in basically every way. The fifth box set needs to come out immediately.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:17 pm 

I remember watching Outlaw Star on Toonami or something when I was younger. I had some interest in it. I should probably look into it again.

chaosphere_1994
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:12 am 

Just finished watching Kite yesterday during school (without knowing that I downloaded the uncut version). The people behind me were all like "wtf are you watching", ahaha. :-P

I'm planning on watching Elfen Lied, RahXephon, Berserk, GTO (loved the manga) and Ghost in the Shell soon. And maybe some hentai OVAs if I find anything good :lol: Also, do any of you guys know any anime similar to Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and/or Neon Genesis Evangelion?

Young_Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:13 am 

Just finished watching Elfen Lied and Chäos;Head, both were ok. Nothin too special, but you can have fun if you have nothing else to do (like me).
Also Serial Experiments Lain, I liked all the Apple references they made, just great.

And as I still have nothing to do I will watch Angel Sanctuary :P
Also the most recent Ranma 1/2 OVA was fun to watch, but I didn't liked the animation, too modern...

ArtificialStupidity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:59 am 

Just finished watching Neon Genesis Evangelion. Texhnolyze is one of the best cyberpunk animes by the way, truly worth watching. The gloomy, dystopic atmosphere just sucks you in. Should I say it's just one of the best animes in general. Watch the opening http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENkscDllpHg. Eureka Seven will be next!

Diclonius
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:15 pm 

Cool thread!! I´m not a great fan of anime, I´m really picky with it, but there´s some awesome shit out there. My all time favorite is Elfen Lied, for me it´s the closest one to reach perfection. Beautiful music, beautiful backgrounds and visual appeal, amazing story, interesting, fucked up characters, and it´s short and to the point, and the manga is even better, it´s one of a kind in the anime world... c´mon even my darn user name is based on it. I tend to like crazy, weird animes, like Excel Saga, Puni Puni Poemi, Dokuro Chan, Higurashi and the like. I don´t know about other animes though, since I don´t like a lot of the stuff everyone digs (I think Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Death Note and others suck, for example). Recently I finished watching DMC (Detroit Metal City) which is downright brilliant, it´s about a geeky ballad singer who suddenly transforms into a black metal singer (in the anime they say it´s death metal, but the sound and looks are black-ish as hell)

http://www.anilinkz.com/detroit-metal-c ... episode-1/

Check it out, it´s hilarious

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:39 pm 

I got bored of Ergo Proxy. It had cool art direction and some interesting themes, but the characters were all so bland and unintereing. Oh well, onto Texhnolyze next.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 61  Next