Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:30 pm 

Recently began watching Texhnolyze...only 4 episodes in, but I'm really enjoying it. Pretty sure it's made by the same people who did Serial Experiments Lain (one of my all-time favorite anime), has a similar art style and atmosphere, but much more oppressive and bleak, even nihilistic at some points, as well as much more violent and generally action-oriented. However, it's a very weird and unorthodox show, perhaps even moreso than SEL (which is really saying something) ...for example, it takes about 10-15 minutes into the first episode before a single line of dialogue is spoken. What's more, the main character doesn't even speak until the third episode, up to that point he only shrieks in pain and agony :lol:. But it's also very creative and refreshing, I think...would definitely recommend this to anyone who likes dark, fucked up shit and doesn't mind a side of mindfuck imagery and general weirdness.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:01 am 

Actually, Serial Experiments Lain and Texhnolyze were by the same writer, but the former was made by Triangle Staff and the latter by Studio Madhouse. The directors were also different, but they often get lumped together because of the writer going for the same bleak, almost apocalyptic tone in both series.

Fun fact, though: The guy who directed Texhnolyze is the same guy who directed Steins;Gate, which is a vastly different show, but his touches are all over both.
Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond
After That: Golden Boy and Gunsmith Cats

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:54 pm 

So, I just finished Texhnolyze and while it was fucking incredible, I really wasn't prepared for how fucked it was going to get. This show started out like a dark, cyberpunk sci-fi centered around gang violence, and somehow transformed into one of the most disturbing things I've ever witnessed in any artistic medium...not due to the extreme violence and gore (though it certainly didn't shy away from that in any conceivable fashion), but also the nihilism and feeling of existential dread the whole experience gave me. This is probably the best and most poignant portrayal of "nihilism" I've ever seen - it's uncompromising and extremely brutal, but also intelligent and well-written, never feeling edgy or childish. Every single character in the show is broken and shattered (sometimes literally) by the crushing reality of the world they live in, and after that last episode, I feel like my soul has been ripped right out of my body...and yet, I enjoyed the entire experience :lol:. I guess that's the sign of a good show. At any rate, without spoiling anything, I came into this thinking "It might be fucked, but there's no way it'll beat out The End of Evangelion's infamous conclusion so I should be fine". Yeah...I was wrong. Wrong on so many levels :lol:. I'm going to have to watch a shitload of Laid-Back Camp, Yuru Yuri, or some other "cute girl" anime to offset this horrifying experience.

Zelkiiro wrote:
Actually, Serial Experiments Lain and Texhnolyze were by the same writer, but the former was made by Triangle Staff and the latter by Studio Madhouse. The directors were also different, but they often get lumped together because of the writer going for the same bleak, almost apocalyptic tone in both series.

It also looks like the producer and character designer were the same, which explains the visual similarities. I'm assuming one of them worked on Hellsing with Chiaki J. Konaka as well, as I remember that having a very similar visual style.

CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:06 am 

I started watching the "Signs of the Holy" four episodes on Netflix in anticipation of the return of The Seven Deadly Sins. I finished episode three last night. Even though these episodes have been almost entirely useless it has been good to see some of the flashbacks in the episodes since I've forgotten about most of everything that happened in the first season. I'll finish it before I start the real Season 2, but I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:31 pm 

Midnight Eye Goku looks really fucking good.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:50 pm 

So, Made in Abyss is pretty great if you like dark fantasy, and if you haven't already seen it, you probably should. Just, er, remember that Japan is a weird place and some things that wouldn't be touched with a 10 ft. pole here are free game for exploration there.

kellyon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:26 am 

I don't normally watch anime, so the ones I like fall into common top anime lists:

Cowboy Bebop
FMA:B
Deathnote
One punch man

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:21 am 

kellyon wrote:
I don't normally watch anime, so the ones I like fall into common top anime lists:

Cowboy Bebop
FMA:B
Deathnote
One punch man

They're commonly on top anime lists because they're entry-level series, giving you a taste of that delicious Japanese flair while still being very palatable to Western sensibilities. Also, they're very stylish and action-oriented. You might also enjoy Berserk 1997, Black Lagoon, Mob Psycho 100, Trigun, Gurren Lagann and/or Kill la Kill, Vision of Escaflowne, Psycho-Pass, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Little Witch Academia, and the various films by Studio Ghibli, Makoto Shinkai, Mamoru Oshii, and Mamoru Hosoda.

Can't go wrong with any of those.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59