Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Iggnsthe
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:16 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Screw Hetalia. :grr:

;)
I wouldn't go that far, but it is quite nice~!

Shalk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:24 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:
You guys positive this clannad show is so emotional? Looks like total lolicon worship, and that's not me trying to pick a fight with anyone. With an art style like that it's hard for me to take it seriously. Looks like teen drama.

I understand completely. This was my initial reaction, as well.

As I watched the first season, I was like, "Hey, this is pretty good." And then the second season kicked me in the nuts and made me its bitch.

EDIT: Some things to keep in mind:

1. Both seasons are technically 25 episodes, but only 1-22 are relevant in both cases. 23-25 are filler and recap for both seasons.
2. If you're expecting fan service, which can't really be blamed due to the show's art style, you'll be disappointed; it's probably THE most modest anime ever.
3. The art style is no real indicator of the show's atmosphere. The central story may revolve around a budding romance in high school, but it deals with issues that are a bit deeper than others.
4. The series is based off a visual novel by a group called Key. Key are infamous for yanking heartstrings without mercy.

Agreed.

If you wanna REALLY cry, watch Kanon (2006 version, made by the same studio). THAT will do it for sure. Also, Clannad Afterstory - the second season - is really miserable.

Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien is another of those teen dramas but way mature and heavier.

Grave of the Fireflies is another classic making people cry their hearts out.

Also check Da Capo.

ODSM Page in Fb

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:48 pm 

Shalk wrote:
Also, Clannad Afterstory - the second season - is really miserable.

Yeah, I know. It's the 2nd season of the series, and I talked about that. :V
Mob Psycho 100 II
After That: Martian Successor Nadesico and The Irresponsible Captain Tylor

Asha_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:06 pm 

I'm currently watching Speed Grapher (Funimation English dub). It seems like it might be a pretty interesting show.

Iggnsthe
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:39 am 

Asha_ wrote:
I'm currently watching Speed Grapher (Funimation English dub). It seems like it might be a pretty interesting show.

I saw that listed on Netflix and read the description. It seems... like an odd premise. But I'll probably end up watching it once I'm done with other things. Do tell if it turns out to be complete crap, though. :P

Gravemarker
The Bloody Heartland

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:58 pm 

I remember watching Speed Grapher a couple years back. The concept was pretty interesting, yeah, and the show itself was really dark, gritty and pretty bizarre at times. It held my interest through the whole series, so I think it's worth at least checking out the first few episodes.

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:52 am 

I started working on subs for a series called C3 (CursedxCubexCurious or something like that).
I have to tell you guys, this sucks. I've been working for a fansub, and the guy that's supposed to translate this is unavailable so... If you have the chance to see, then don't!

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:12 am 

Finished up Kaiji recently. Amazing stuff.

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:01 am 

Just finished rewatching one of my favourite series, Mononoke. Sort of 'had' to watch it for our classic Japanese course... But that's just an excuse. Brilliant series.

Xeogred wrote:
Finished up Kaiji recently. Amazing stuff.

Yeah, Kaiji is great. I've actually not watched all of the episodes of the second installation and I think I am on like ep 21, and have been since that ep got released (following it weekly, before).. Kind of forgot to get on with it when school started again, but this is a good reminder. I like Akagi a bit more than Kaiji (just a random comparison, as they are by the same creator originally) while both are brilliant series.. Maybe that's because I love riichi mahjong (to obsessive degrees), but there should be more of Akagi!

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:50 am 

Deviante wrote:
there should be more of Akagi!

The manga is still ongoing, and the anime only covers a part of it. If you don't mind reading instead of watching, I suggest giving it a try if you haven't already. Akagi also appears in another manga by the same author: Ten. It's a sequel and Akagi is kind of a secondary character until the last arc, though.

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:10 pm 

Gelal wrote:
Deviante wrote:
there should be more of Akagi!

The manga is still ongoing, and the anime only covers a part of it. If you don't mind reading instead of watching, I suggest giving it a try if you haven't already. Akagi also appears in another manga by the same author: Ten. It's a sequel and Akagi is kind of a secondary character until the last arc, though.

Of course I read the manga. :P

Ten, too.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:11 pm 

Yeah I definitely plan to check out Akagi, probably before I dive into Kaiji season 2. I find it interesting how both characters are voiced by the same guy, heh (in Japanese at least). Kaiji was awesome himself, though I hear Akagi is intense. Most people I've talked to that don't know shit about mahjong still say Akagi is amazing, I don't know anything either but if it's anything like Kaiji I'm gonna love it.

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:17 pm 

Well, the difference between those series is that Akagi is a lunatic and a genius, whereas Kaiji is.. well, you know. They're both psychologically super intense and the going gets quite insane and brutal at times, mentally at least. Knowing Mahjong makes the series a lot more intense because you actually understand why they hesitate at certain moments and such things related to the gameplay and the pressure. But they do briefly explain the stuff as the series progresses, at least in the first few eps. Definitely watch it, though.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:24 pm 

Yeah that's how I've heard Akagi himself described. Kaiji had some smarts, or so he thought most of the time... haha. Great character though, easy to like and root for.

Also randomly saw the Trigun movie last night, it was decent I guess. Like most of my friends have told me it just felt like a longer big budget normal episode of Trigun.

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:04 pm 

Deviante wrote:
Of course I read the manga. :P

Ten, too.

Then I am not the only one that suffers because Akagi scanlations come slowly lately. Oh well, there's plenty of other manga that I read that gets scanlated painfully slowly (if ever at all) for a number of reasons (DMC, Saint Young Men, Yotsuba, Evangelion...), so I'm getting used to it.

And for those of you worrying about how lack of mahjong knowledge affects watching Akagi, worry not: any decent version (personally I went with Triad's subs) will come with an explanation of the terminology being used, most likely in the form of translation notes. Yes, pausing to read them kinda breaks the intensity, but at least you get to know what "riichi ippatsu tsumo tanyao pinfu san shoku dou jun dora, baiman" means and why Akagi's opponent is pissed.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:06 pm 

One of these days, I'll get around to watching Akagi and Kaiji.
Mob Psycho 100 II

phibzy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:39 am 

Been watching the new series of Last Exile as it airs. The original series is still probably my favourite anime to date.

So far the new one has been okay. New main character could have been much better, but one of my favourite characters from the first series returned, so it evens out I guess.

Anyone else watching stuff this season?

kiske_of_deth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:36 am 

I'm watching, and thoroughly enjoying, Mirai Nikki.

Besides that, C3 and Gundam AGE. C3 I'm watching because it really intrigues me how such a bad show can exist yet still manage to be entertaining, and AGE because it's Gundam (of course).

I don't watch much currently airing stuff usually. I would be doing Fate/Zero but I haven't done Stay/Night yet. I feel like I'm missing out.

Oh, and I just finished Clannad: After Story not long ago. I don't think I will ever recover. ;_______; oh my lord

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:41 am 

kiske_of_deth wrote:
Oh, and I just finished Clannad: After Story not long ago. I don't think I will ever recover. ;_______; oh my lord

On the bright side, if you ever get into acting, you now know how to burst into tears on command.
Mob Psycho 100 II

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:41 am 

phibzy wrote:
Anyone else watching stuff this season?

Yup. Last Exile, Mirai Nikki (also marathoned the manga 'cause I hate getting spoilered to Hell and back; brace for ridiculous end), Un-go, Ben-to, and Chihayafuru. And also Mawaru Penguindrum from last season as it's twenty-something episodes long. I guess that explains why I haven't progressed with my backlog since I finished both seasons of Ef (episode 10 of season 2 was... ;_______;). This is probably the season I'm following the most shows.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:56 pm 

From this season, I'm just watching Persona 4: The Animation. Also, do Tiger & Bunny and Usagi Drop count as this season? Because I've been watching those, too.
Mob Psycho 100 II

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:04 pm 

Just came off a bit of an anime binge, watched Cowboy Bebop and Black Lagoon to completion. Bebop was amazing but I had no idea it it would be so damn depressing. Black Lagoon was insane.

last.fm

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:10 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
From this season, I'm just watching Persona 4: The Animation. Also, do Tiger & Bunny and Usagi Drop count as this season? Because I've been watching those, too.

Usagi Drop started last season (summer) and didn't carry over to the current one (it's a Noitamina show, so it should be 11 episodes, plus DVD specials, if any), and T&B is from the season before (spring) although being a 2-cour show it carried over to the summer season. So nope, they wouldn't count.

Also, I correct my previous statement: last season I watched six shows, so that's the season I've watched most shows. Or rather, I watched five 'cause subs for Appleseed are coming slow as molasses and I'm stuck at like episode three. So at best, it's a tie with this season, otherwise it's a tie with the spring season (6 shows also). Fuck, I just realized I watch a lot of stuff. That's 17 shows already and winter season isn't even here yet. And that's not counting movies and OVAs (Katte ni Kaizo, Roberta's Blood Trail, Arrietty, etc.).

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:14 pm 

Roberta's Blood Trail kinda disappointed me. It just felt off, ya know?
Mob Psycho 100 II

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:49 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Roberta's Blood Trail kinda disappointed me. It just felt off, ya know?

The only problem I had with it was the same I had with the corresponding arc in the manga: that Rock's plan and his motivation, as well as the effect that both him succeeding and failing would have for everyone else, are not explained clearly. Everyone keeps rambling on about how if he succeeds he'll be the Saviour of Roanapur and if he fails he will bring the Apocalypse upon the city, but that's it. Other than that, I'd say it's a faithful adaptation and it's full of over-the-top action and hot chicks shooting guns, which is what I expect from Black Lagoon.

kiske_of_deth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:37 pm 

I don't know about Black Lagoon. It's definitely cool as Hell, the dialogue is badass and dat GLORIOUS HOTEL MOSCOW etc. But some arcs are just average. The OVAs started out really promising but in the end amounted to pretty much nothing. Too many things were unexplained, it left me feeling unsatisfied.

Berserk Roberta was a treat to watch though.

Gravemarker
The Bloody Heartland

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:07 am 

Going through both seasons of School Rumble for probably the fourth or fifth time... still think it's the best school comedy/slice of life anime ever created. Anybody know of any similar series, especially in regards to the deep character development, the lighthearted humor, and the multiple plotlines that eventually all connect?

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:36 pm 

I don't know of anything specifically with that combo, but...

Monster has a lot of deep character development with multiple plotlines that converge, but it's a pretty psychological drama, not a comedy.

Likewise, Seraphim Call is all about the characters and their individual story arcs meeting at the end, but it is almost devoid of comedy.

Fruits Basket has some deep character development with a lot of light-hearted comedy, but it really only follows the one story of Tohru blending into the Sohma household.

Fullmetal Alchemist, either series, would probably most closely match all three of your requirements, but the comedic moments are few and far between.
Mob Psycho 100 II

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:56 pm 

I'm thinking about picking up both seasons of Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles, can anybody here vouch for this series?

last.fm

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:21 pm 

TheOldOne wrote:
I'm thinking about picking up both seasons of Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles, can anybody here vouch for this series?

Don't do it. They're wretched.

Not only do they not follow the manga very closely at all, they're also terrible on their own. The only good thing about either of them is the Yuki Kajiura soundtrack.
Mob Psycho 100 II

hij
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:33 pm 

The only Anime movie that I ever liked was Akira. Haven't like anything else that I have seen since.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:15 pm 

heathinjersey wrote:
The only Anime movie that I ever liked was Akira. Haven't like anything else that I have seen since.

But...but...aside from the animation, Akira was terrible. It was a travesty. A logic-raping travesty.
Mob Psycho 100 II

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:05 pm 

Pretty true. Go watch Galaxy Express 999, Queen Millennia, Metropolis, or something better.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:06 pm 

Or Steamboy. It's not perfect, but it's Akira's character designer/director + steampunk + mountains of money + a story that actually makes fucking sense.
Mob Psycho 100 II

Iggnsthe
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:46 pm 

Akira was pretty nice.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:16 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
But...but...aside from the animation, Akira was terrible. It was a travesty. A logic-raping travesty.

Really? I recall it making at least some sense, maybe I just don't remember it well enough, or perhaps its the dilemma of trying to fit 6 volumes into 125 minutes. On that thought, I just realized I never read the entire manga and its been years since I read any at all.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:22 pm 

I like Hellsing, Noir, Samurai Champloo, Blue Sub, BoogiePop Phantom, Paranoia Agent, Trigun, Cowboy Beebop, Tenchi Muyo and Tenchi in Tokyo, and Gungrave.....this is anime ye?

I would like some more recs....considering how much showed up on Netflix.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:34 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
I like Hellsing, Noir, Samurai Champloo, Blue Sub, BoogiePop Phantom, Paranoia Agent, Trigun, Cowboy Beebop, Tenchi Muyo and Tenchi in Tokyo, and Gungrave.....this is anime ye?

I've got some recommendations for ya. I believe they're all on Netflix, and if not, find them anyway.

Gurren Lagann. This is GAINAX's love letter to 80s giant robot anime, and it's probably the most hot-blooded, fist-pumping anime I've ever seen. The plot gets a little wacky later on, but 'tis all in good fun.

Black Lagoon. It has gunfights, kick-ass characters, and more F-bombs than you can shake a stick at.

Monster (or Naoki Urasawa's Monster, as Manga Entertainment really insists on calling it). Intense character-driven drama with one of the most memorable villains around, Johan. The "Complete Monster" trope on TVTropes features Johan as its feature character, even.

Rebuild of Evangelion 1.11 and 2.22. Whatever your feelings on the original series may be, these movies are vastly superior: the characters are more sympathetic, the story more polished and stripped of most of the bullshit, and fuckin' hell, it looks fantastic.

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. It's every 90s American cartoon ever, with more sex and more fucks.

Steins;Gate. Takes a ridiculous premise, makes it plausible, and runs with it. Fun times all around.

BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad. Probably one of the best music-related anime around, alongside NANA. The animation's kinda bad, though.
Mob Psycho 100 II

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:55 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

If you like both BoogiePop Phantom and Paranoia Agent, try Serial Experiments Lain, seriously, its in a similar vein and simply better. Berserk is another you might like, but I'd suggest skipping the anime and just reading the manga as it is better in every possible way and you'll likely end up reading it if you like the anime anyways. You might also like Madlax and El Cazador de la Bruja which are the spiritual successors to Noir and have the same girls with guns theme. Other then that, try some of Satoshi Kon's movies (Same director as Paranoia Agent) like Perfect Blue.

Also, most of the recommendations in the above post suck, Rebuild of Evangelion, seriously? Out of those only Monster and perhaps Black Lagoon (Mindless non-stop action) are worthwhile, the latter wasn't anything special though.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:23 pm 

Byrain wrote:
PhilosophicalFrog wrote:

If you like both BoogiePop Phantom and Paranoia Agent, try Serial Experiments Lain, seriously, its in a similar vein and simply better. Berserk is another you might like, but I'd suggest skipping the anime and just reading the manga as it is better in every possible way and you'll likely end up reading it if you like the anime anyways. You might also like Madlax and El Cazador de la Bruja which are the spiritual successors to Noir and have the same girls with guns theme. Other then that, try some of Satoshi Kon's movies (Same director as Paranoia Agent) like Perfect Blue.

Also, most of the recommendations in the above post suck, Rebuild of Evangelion, seriously? Out of those only Monster and perhaps Black Lagoon (Mindless non-stop action) are worthwhile, the latter wasn't anything special though.

Implying that Serial Experiments Lain and Madlax are what is truly good? And that Perfect Blue is Satoshi Kon's best movie?

nope.jpg
Mob Psycho 100 II

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 59  Next