Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:06 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Love, Death & Robots is another great example of what Netflix blows its money on for no apparent reason, looks great but no other point to it, like a visual equivalent to Triptykon. Only to end up being successful with a horse cartoon and a docudrama about a bizarre weirdo animal collector, probably their two lowest budget productions.

They do it for the same reason as any other anthology series or collections of shorts: to give viewers a peak at what the creative minds of tomorrow are like early on.

I've been binging it today and while not every episode is a hit, there's been some excellent ones. "The Secret War," "Suits," and "Sonnie's Edge" are ones I'd love to see feature length versions of. "Three Robots" and "Beyond the Aquila Rift" are virtually perfect in length and execution, also. I was pleasantly surprised by "Helping Hand" and "Fish Night," too.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

brimarsh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:20 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
droneriot wrote:
Love, Death & Robots is another great example of what Netflix blows its money on for no apparent reason, looks great but no other point to it, like a visual equivalent to Triptykon. Only to end up being successful with a horse cartoon and a docudrama about a bizarre weirdo animal collector, probably their two lowest budget productions.

They do it for the same reason as any other anthology series or collections of shorts: to give viewers a peak at what the creative minds of tomorrow are like early on.

I've been binging it today and while not every episode is a hit, there's been some excellent ones. "The Secret War," "Suits," and "Sonnie's Edge" are ones I'd love to see feature length versions of. "Three Robots" and "Beyond the Aquila Rift" are virtually perfect in length and execution, also. I was pleasantly surprised by "Helping Hand" and "Fish Night," too.

I actually thoroughly enjoyed Sonnie's Edge. I didn't think the entire series was necessarily groundbreaking by any means, but it offered some easily digestible material in a quick-bite format. I found it to be perfect to fulfill those niche "I want to be entertained with very little commitment" moods.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:26 pm 

Really appreciated Love, Death and Robots too. I'd very much welcome more seasons with more artists going wild.

King Diamond: A Royal Tribute (short guide to King Diamond's discography)

Vic's Dungeon:

The Best of 2017

Remember the Fallen: Paul Baloff (Exodus), Keith Deen (Holy Terror)

Last edited by Dungeon_Vic on Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:55 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Really appreciated Love, Death and Robots too. I'd very welcome more seasons with more artists going wild.

Same here.

I can't think of one of the episodes I didn't like.

All different enough to be enjoyable to me.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:10 am 

Why does everybody communicate exclusively by screaming?
Why does everybody try to scream as many words in as short a time as possible?
Why does nobody ever shut up for one second?

Just a heads up that if you're too old to be part of the Spongebob generation, Lower Decks will be unwatchable for you.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:45 am 

Is it really that bad? The writer is the guy behind the best episodes of Rick & Morty and TNG Season 8. His knowledge of comedy and Trek is pretty much unparalleled.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:24 am 

Like I tried to hint in my previous post, I can't really say, it's a style of animated show that just never worked for me. Everyone's constantly screaming, super fast and non-stop and I know there's people who love that type of stuff.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

last_eulogy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:17 am 

Caught a commercial for the Alienist. They hooked me with the first four episodes of season one being free. I thought it was on Netflix, but like everything good that ends up on Netflix its gone. I bought the rest of the season. Such a good show. Late 1800s, NYC, serial killer. The name kind of threw me. I didn't know that's the term that was used prior to psychologist. Talk about a great damn show. I'll probably watch the entire rest of season 1 today.

CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:25 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Is it really that bad? The writer is the guy behind the best episodes of Rick & Morty and TNG Season 8. His knowledge of comedy and Trek is pretty much unparalleled.

I made it about three minutes.

I don’t see myself ever turning that back on again.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:37 am 

Finished it earlier. A lot of really subtle very Trek-lore heavy jokes underneath all the shouting. It's also exactly 10 million times better than Final Space, which isn't saying much considering what 10 million x 0 is.

I enjoyed it, all I wanted was a comedy made by someone with encyclopedic knowledge of Trek, and that's what I got.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:53 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
It's also exactly 10 million times better than Final Space, which isn't saying much considering what 10 million x 0 is.

Awwww man, I liked Final Space.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:07 pm 

Second season of Umbrella Academy was a lot of fun. It had the kind of old-school '60s Americana story type I'm a sucker for. It's as outrageous, weird and over the top as ever, but this time I think we got more insight into the characters and the performances felt more unrestrained now that they didn't have to spend time establishing the world. Just a really likable show, and stylish as fuck with killer directing, set pieces and especially the mesmeric soundtrack - probably my favorite on TV right now, and almost its own character.

I thought the last few eps were a bit rushed but not bad at all - they just seemed to be having so much fun with the middle of the season that the end was a bit short.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 159, 160, 161, 162, 163