Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:57 am 

darkeningday wrote:
So how fucking amazing is Dark Crystal on Netflix? Pretty.

Just watched the first eppy last night and absolutely loved it! Legit nearly cried at the end...

Spoiler: show
...please tell me that didn't really go down or that somehow it can be reversed - what the heck?!

The effects and visuals are fucking mindblowing. I love how true to the movie everything looks while taking it all a step even further. Stoked to watch on!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:42 am 

I mean... did you notice how many Gelflings there are in the first episode, yet how few there are in the movie which is set decades in the future? :(
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:37 am 

Yeah but holy shit that seemed like such a main character who I was invested in and gave a shit about! Don't say anything else, I haven't watched further.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:58 pm 

Don't worry! I'm not any further myself. My girlfriend would have me drawn and quartered if I watched it without her.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:16 pm 

The good old days...

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:16 pm 

RIP Nog from Deep Space Nine.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:30 am 

Just finished getting caught up on Walking Dead season 9.

While I like the idea of everyone trying to "build for normalcy" again, and those parts feel enjoyable, the conflicts seem more forced and silly than ever. Character motivations are all over the place. The new antagonist is just... dumb. Once again, the Walking Dead has delivered an antagonist from out of nowhere with numbers beyond any reasonable suspension of disbelief.

Then....

So that blizzard came out of fucking nowhere after 9 seasons. When did they briefly stop being in Georgia? What the fuck is going on?

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:26 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:

While I like the idea of everyone trying to "build for normalcy" again, and those parts feel enjoyable, the conflicts seem more forced and silly than ever. Character motivations are all over the place. The new antagonist is just... dumb. Once again, the Walking Dead has delivered an antagonist from out of nowhere with numbers beyond any reasonable suspension of disbelief.

Then....

So that blizzard came out of fucking nowhere after 9 seasons. When did they briefly stop being in Georgia? What the fuck is going on?

In story they've been in Virgina since mid season 5.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:22 am 

stickyshooZ wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

Then....

In story they've been in Virgina since mid season 5.

Shit, I think you're right. They're near DC aren't they?

Still, they waited 9 seasons for this kind of plot device.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:06 am 

The Twilight Zone just celebrated it's 60th anniversary a day or so ago.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:43 pm 

Anyone else excited for BoJack Season 6? It's apparently going to be the final season, so I'm fairly certain it's going to end with BoJack finally fixing what's wrong with him...or jumping in front of a bus.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:10 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Anyone else excited for BoJack Season 6? It's apparently going to be the final season, so I'm fairly certain it's going to end with BoJack finally fixing what's wrong with him...or jumping in front of a bus.

I can't explain how excited I am for this. I'm so disappointed that it's the last season, but I'm hoping it's going to be a really good closure for a series that has been a really awesome hit. Season 5 was excellent so I'm having high hopes for this one. The series ending with Bojack suiciding would be a really fitting, yet insane, finale.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:16 pm 

The trailer looked excellent. It's a shame it's the final season especially if it was Netflix's idea, but then again, at least it won't overstay its welcome I suppose. But I could've watched nine or ten seasons.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:10 am 

If it was indeed Netflixs decision and not the creators then that is surprising - it's not as though the show isn't successful. I have mixed feelings about it ending. On one hand, I'm sad, because its one of my favorite shows at the moment (and has made me think and feel so many different things on a personal level). But 6 seasons is honestly just about fine before a show starts to kind of get worn out. And after the way season 5 ended, I'm not really sure how much more they can do with Bojack's character development. If they give a fantastic final season, then I'll be happy with it. I'd rather the show go out strong, really stick the landing and leave us wanting more, rather than have it kind of linger past its time.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:23 pm 

I'd be more worried about them stretching it out too long, honestly. There's only so much you can do with a character-driven show like this before you start getting stale.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:17 am 

I just said that because Raphael Bob-Waksberg was saying he didn't know when it would end after season 5 premiered, and Aaron Paul said Netflix was the one who pulled the curtains closed. But other sources said Waksberg decided it before anybody else. I dunno. I guess we'll see.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:12 pm 

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:37 am 

The History channel has completely gone of the rails of enjoyable entertainment into complete nonsense. The new show coming on has people getting bitten by poisonous snakes and spiders just for I guess the fucking hell of it for science or something completely stupid and without logic.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:45 am 

darkeningday wrote:

Cautiously hopeful.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:17 am 

When I watched both trailers on YT, Picard had about 95% likes to dislike and STD had about 60%, and while I didn't think the Picard trailer was promising greatness in any way, it sounds about right that it looked significantly more appealing that STD. With luck it could turn out to at least be mild entertainment to kill an hour like The Orville and not actively nauseating like that other show.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:48 am 

DSC season 3 trailer has 82% like-to-dislike ratio. I think it looks intriguing.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:14 am 

End of last season when they went into the future I was joking that they should just do Andromeda, it's by Gene Roddenberry after all. After seeing the trailer I kinda think they heard my joke. It's cool then, they can turn Picard into Earth: Final Conflict.

On a side note, since both trailers had that shit again, I just got done with Daredevil season two and I swear for the rest of this year I am not going to watch one single modern show or movie because I'm so fucking sick of ninja martial arts fight scenes in fucking everything all the fucking time, spent that whole season just thinking "what's with all the ninja shit?" because they really put that in every movie and every series nowadays and it's way too much of it, but Daredevil season 2 takes the cake for going completely over the top with it. I seriously need a break from it.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:49 am 

One week until new Letterkenny.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:58 pm 

Face_your_fear_79 wrote:
The History channel has completely gone of the rails of enjoyable entertainment into complete nonsense. The new show coming on has people getting bitten by poisonous snakes and spiders just for I guess the fucking hell of it for science or something completely stupid and without logic.

Butt-all to do with History, I agree, but that show you describe could be morbidly fascinating. The Channel has gone from “History Channel” to “Probably Not Actual Historical Events Channel” to “Assorted Oddities That Doesn’t Belong on Any Other Channel”.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:14 pm 

Anyone here watched the French horror series Marianne on Netflix? Personally, I thought it was pretty good, even great at times. The small coastal village oozed atmosphere, some imagery was downright creepy, the music created a nice mood. I feel people are sleeping on it a little.
Fire walk with me"

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:31 pm 

The latest South Park was a treat. Not only is the Chinese government pissed off, but Jimmy can roll double bass like a motherfucker with those gimpy legs.

The band whose music they used is called Death Decline. Song is "Useless Sacrifice" from the album 'The Thousand Faces of Lies'.

However, what I enjoy most about the band so far is the name of their first album, 'Built for Sin'. If that isn't the best way to describe a sex doll, I don't know what is.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:57 pm 

droneriot wrote:
End of last season when they went into the future I was joking that they should just do Andromeda, it's by Gene Roddenberry after all. After seeing the trailer I kinda think they heard my joke. It's cool then, they can turn Picard into Earth: Final Conflict.

You somehow managed to compare the two worst sci-fi series ever made to Star Trek. Congrats.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:04 pm 

Saying they were written by the same dude is "comparing"? You rewriting the English language or something? They were literally written by the same dude.

Besides, there is no way not to improve STD, it's the absolute rock bottom of television history already, so any input from anything would improve it.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:21 pm 

Neither Andromeda nor E:FC was written by Gene. The E:FC pilot was an old spec script that was entirely re-written long after he died, and that's where the affiliation ended. Andromeda was based on "notes and descriptions" allegedly found in Gene Roddenbury's desk by Majel (although I think even this is BS), the show itself was written from the ground-up by Robert Hewitt Wolfe.

Calling Discovery "the rock bottom of television history" is so absurd it makes me wonder if you're doing a bit. The show's fine, it's better than the first two seasons of TNG or DS9 by a long stretch, and Star Trek veterans like Bryan Fuller, Joe Menosky and Kristen Beyer proved themselves more than capable. Season 3 is where most Trek shows found their footing and I have no reason to believe it won't happen with Discovery either.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:43 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Calling Discovery "the rock bottom of television history" is so absurd it makes me wonder if you're doing a bit. The show's fine, it's better than the first two seasons of TNG or DS9 by a long stretch, and Star Trek veterans like Bryan Fuller, Joe Menosky and Kristen Beyer proved themselves more than capable. Season 3 is where most Trek shows found their footing and I have no reason to believe it won't happen with Discovery either.

Discovery is objectively the all time worst television show, and that it has become a meme among the online troll community to pretend to be positive about it obviously doesn't change that. "Better than TNG or DS9" and accusing me of "doing a bit", like it doesn't get any more transparent as far as trolling is concerned.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:34 pm 

droneriot wrote:
objectively the all time worst television show

Try.
Quote:
it has become a meme among the online troll community to pretend to be positive about it obviously doesn't change that.

Harder.

But you're right, Shades of Grey, Code of Honor and If Wishes Were Horses are waaaaaaaaay better than a fun serialized show praised across the board by not only major "professional critics," but countless respected fan sites across the globe whose knowledge of Trek far surpasses my own.

But yeah, a bunch of youtube comment trolls are the ones you should trust and are most emblematic of the reception of the show. I mean, for fucking real dude? TV shows poorly recieved don't get renewed, especially ones with this kind of production value, not to mention they sure as shit don't get multiple spin-offs.

Star Trek: Discovery is, objectively, a success of a Trek series. You don't have to like it, god knows I don't like 95% of successful pop culture, but you have to at least acknowledge its success and its popularity among its Star Trek fanbase.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:39 pm 

Here we go again. This is the exact same hilarious "everyone who doesn't like stuff I like is a troll" shtick that got droneriot banned last time.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:46 pm 

Exactly why it's clear that you're trolling if you had to cherry-pick the worst episodes of the seasons. There is nothing "fun" about a show that is nothing but endless exposition with no actual plot, that's for sure, but there is something fun about arguing the case of Data's rights as an individual or Deep Space Nine doing a Star Trek version of "The Man in the Glass Booth" with brilliant performances by Nana Visitor and an amazing Harris Yulin. Two of the most highly praised episodes in all of Star Trek, but yeah, a show that's like a grimdark Seinfeld with lens flares is a lot better. :lol:

Razakel wrote:
Here we go again. This is the exact same hilarious "everyone who doesn't like stuff I like is a troll" shtick that got droneriot banned last time.

And why exactly in your bizarre theory would I care what anybody likes or dislikes? Deliberate dishonesty is an entirely different subject than liking or disliking.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:06 pm 

You literally just wrote that troll's opinions about it being so bad they jokingly call it good matter not only to you, but should matter to everyone else too.

Very curious to see your refutation about the series being so highly praised by unaffiliated with CBS, respected sites like TrekCore and TrekMovie who are exclusively staffed by people who've been die-hard trekkies before I could write in complete sentences. Because so far every single one of your claims is backed up only by "because youtube comments told me so." :lol:

It's a fringe opinion. Which is fine. Opinions are like assholes, they're much funnier when they're draped with fringes, and there's a lot of them hanging out in YouTube comment sections.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:14 pm 

I've been pretty thoroughly unimpressed with DIS as well, outside of like that New Eden episode directed by Frakes where it seemed like they might actually go in a Trek direction (but ultimately didn't really).

Of course, "worst TV show ever" seems a bit hyperbolic :P
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:46 pm 

I agree that was the most memorable episode, but overall I thought S2 improved enough over S1 that I'm on board for S3 for sure. "Grimdark Seinfeld"? I think you're thinking of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Watched a couple episodes here and there of random stuff while I was essentially couchsurfing for a couple of months. Saw a bit of Santa Clarita Diet and it wasn't amazing or anything but seemed fun enough to continue watching. I also saw some of Joe Pera Talks With You - normally I hate this kind of anti-comedy stuff, but for some reason this one works for me. Maybe it's because I'm also a boring bastard so hearing some fake grandpa ramble about stuff is fine. I also saw random bits of the Chris Gethard Show and then caught him doing a live standup set and he won me over, so I'll probably go down that rabbit hole.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:16 am 

Yeah, I don't think Discovery is quite as good as most Trek fans do: the twist with Jason Isaacs was borderline unforgivable for me, and the penultimate episode of the second season felt like a supercut of deleted scenes. But it's got enough of the charm and aesthetic of Trek that I can look past the flaws. A worthy Trek entry for sure, and if it improves in the third season the way every non-TOS series has done, it could actually stand with the best of the franchise.

YouTube grifters cashing in on "anti-SJW" neoreactionary outrage culture are de jure these days and YT is such an insular echo chamber that I can certainly see how someone could assume that "all REAL Trek fans h8 STD" is an even remotely popular opinion, even though it's not.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:22 am 

New Letterkenny. I'm avoiding Facebook so I don't have anything spoiled for when I get home.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:07 am 

Man, that tribbles Short Trek was a tonal mess. Not to mention in general. :|

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:14 am 

darkeningday wrote:

This has been something I've said about Trek franchises for a while, aside from the original series. Most stumble through the first two seasons, then get their shit fixed and turn into greatness. Voyager took a lot longer though, and remains the weakest series as far as I'm concerned. It lost the "mixed crew drama" element almost immediately, and didn't get interesting until Jeri Ryan joined, and no, not because of her body. Her acting, her character, and her talent and skill added much-needed life to that show. It still didn't completely take off, but with Seven and the Doctor becoming stronger characters, that at least helped.

Voyager mostly suffered from banality and laziness. Instead of strong character dramas, most episodes dragged along as "threatened by treknobabble, treknobabble solution 1 fails, treknobabble solution 2 succeeds." There has always been treknobabble, but Voyager was almost only that.

Voyager rant aside, I will not rant on Discovery:

Discovery is an unfocused mess of a show. While it's normal for Trek to have two seasons of general garbage followed by 2-5 seasons of greatness, there was at least hints to greatness. Concepts, ideas, character motivations, etc. are at least generally started in the early seasons. They are building some consistency. I haven't seen that in Discovery, even with the random main character. The series has no consistency. Thoughtful storytelling, while ham-fisted in some early Trek episodes, is almost missing here. The Utopian-earth elements are missing completely. Attempts at yet another prequel story mash up known canon into an unrecognizable mess. Famous, fan-favorite characters are thrown about with reckless abandon, and there is no clear direction for the series. And finally, it's just too blatantly action-centric.

That noted, I really do hope Discovery manages to right the ship and turn into something good, but my confidence is just not there. Yes, some early TNG episodes were staggeringly bad. The black tribal people planet that abducts the white blonde woman being a low point for the franchise as a whole. I'll take the ham-fisted "why do they do something that's addictive and bad" drug lesson episode over this blatant, face-palming racism any day.

Discovery has not felt like it knows what it is, what it wants to be, where it's going to go, or much of anything. I loved Captain Pike's appearance. That actor did a remarkable job and the character was great, but he just feels unnecessarily shoe-horned in. I don't expect the ship to look like the TOS Enterprise, but the technology on display simply doesn't mesh with the rest of the franchise and I will never accept transparent holographic displays when a regular screen is clearly a superior option. My complaints about the "hop just anywhere with alien mushrooms" engine have been constant. Yeah, it looks cool, but why are there even typical space ships after this? I am guessing this will be explained at the end of the series, but still. Once you have the shroom hopper, the warp nacels seem pointless. How likely is it to have a new technology this advanced, only to go deliberately backwards after? Urgh.

Cautiously optimistic for Picard, but given the ramshackle mess Discovery has been thus far, I am very cautious on that optimism. I more or less just want it to be really good, but I also don't think every story needs to run on endlessly. I'm happy to have endings. If the Star Wars and X-Files continuations have clearly demonstrated one thing, it's that a good stopping point benefits a story, and continuing endlessly ruins things.

Oh, but that doesn't make money from the rubes, er fans, endlessly.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157 ... 182  Next