Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
blitzinator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:36 pm 

since there's a thread for movies, anime, video games, etc. why not plain tv?

Well when I watch tv, I pretty much watch sitcoms, sports, or movies. I don't really get into dramas(such as the ones on FX) and I never really cared for the Sopranos.

yeah, I'm a comedic guy. seen every "Seinfeld, and I don't even watch that much tv.

how bout you? How's your tubin?
I am also interested in anal. Is ther anywhere I can share Metal and Anus? I saw an Anus and it was also in the metals. I like to look at the anus and Metal, I like to put things in the anus and my anus too, but not penis because I am not homosex.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:38 pm 

Don't watch much television shows but I loved Prison Break. I also used to like 24 but the show ran its course and started to repeat itself. OZ was a very good show up to season four but got way too depressing and far fetched after that.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:50 pm 

I think The Wire is possibly the best show ever. I wonder if Baltimore is really like that. Also like Weeds, X Files and Californication.

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:08 pm 

My TV intake:
South Park, King of the Hill, Penn and Teller: Bullshit!, Courage the Cowardly Dog, MST3K, and Beavis and Butthead.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:14 pm 

Cartoon network is getting better lately, after nearly a decade of no good shows they are showing courage reruns again, and have several excellent programs: flapjack, adventure time, robot high, normalshow, mad tv cartoon reruns... Hell, cartoons are as good as they've been since Spongebob turned to crap after that movie. Life is good when you're unemployed...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:15 pm 

Just watched episode 11 of the 5th season of Dexter and it was great. Really frigging intense - man I love this show. Vital, nail-biting, suspenseful and cut-throat. It started off good, but with the last two seasons has become something truly great and first-class. There's been a very subtle progression in the writing that has turned it into something more mainstream - slightly - but also more grandiose and more intricate.

Also watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Joss Whedon rules and this is no exception so far.

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:18 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Cartoon network is getting better lately, after nearly a decade of no good shows they are showing courage reruns again, and have several excellent programs: flapjack, adventure time, robot high, normalshow, mad tv cartoon reruns... Hell, cartoons are as good as they've been since Spongebob turned to crap after that movie. Life is good when you're unemployed...

Hopefully, just hopefully, they'll renew Dilworth's contract, and new episodes will be broadcast for us to enjoy. Courage the Cowardly Dog was the last program on Cartoon Network to hold my interest.

Leechmaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:20 pm 

Love me some classic Simpsons.

blitzinator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:27 pm 

never really been a fan of South Park, it just doesn't hold my attention. I actuall find it kinda irritating.
I am also interested in anal. Is ther anywhere I can share Metal and Anus? I saw an Anus and it was also in the metals. I like to look at the anus and Metal, I like to put things in the anus and my anus too, but not penis because I am not homosex.

HumanWaste5150
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:30 pm 

In terms of TV shows that still put out new shows; I watch Big bang theory, the Office (US)*, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, How I met your Mother, and perhaps Family feud and Simpsons.

I watch Cheers, Frasier, Seinfeld, Sanford and Son, French Prince of Bel-Air as well as a slew of british sitcoms. Yeah, for the most part, I enjoy comedies than anything else on TV
We fought to the last breath
Wonder if we will shake hands
Beyond the gates of death

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:31 pm 

blitzinator wrote:
never really been a fan of South Park, it just doesn't hold my attention. I actuall find it kinda irritating.

As much as I love South Park, I find that Matt and Trey tend to hit and miss. For every hilarious episode they produce, one unfunny comedic abortion follows. The last season, thankfully, was more consistent. Season 11, 12, and 13 were awful.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:35 pm 

Muhammadabbadabba wrote:
blitzinator wrote:

As much as I love South Park, I find that Matt and Trey tend to hit and miss. For every hilarious episode they produce, one unfunny comedic abortion follows. The last season, thankfully, was more consistent. Season 11, 12, and 13 were awful.

Season 13 had some really good ones. I think it was actually better than this previous one. The best South Park is seasons 4-7.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:14 am 

South Park is like the Simpsons. After several legendary seasons the quality always seems to be going down in general but there's always that one good one that keeps you hoping. Looks like they're in it for the long haul.

Moravian_black_moon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:33 am 

The Shake Weight SP episode was their best in a long time. A classic Randy Marsh.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:45 am 

I only watch Catweazle

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:42 am 

This is the first time in a few years that Im not really caring what coming on tv next month, since 24 and Lost wont be on. However, after watching the last season of Lost, I think the whole thing was a waste.

Shows Ive watched: The Shield, Prison break, 24.
Need to watch: true blood season 3, might get back into dexter
I tried The Wire, but couldnt get into it.

Aquarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:17 am 

I watch tv only a little because except for some documentaries, there is practically nothing worthy of watching on our tv during the week. Every workday, simple telenovels and TV soap operas are broadcasted in large numbers, which isn't anything for me. So I only watch tv news regularly, sometimes I watch a movie, mostly over the weekend.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:43 am 

I've only ever really watched a few shows regularly. Mostly old British ones. nowadays I'll just get together with friends every now and then and watch some of our old favourites. I don't have cable, satelite or anything like that...

One of the few that I loved is a show from the late 70s called Blakes' 7. It's sort of like the "anti-Star Trek", or a better scripted Star Wars. The main characters are a bunch of political (mostly) criminals on the run from an evil and corrupt galactic Federation run from the Earth. The show featured aliens every now and then but was mostly about the rebels and their internal squabbles, attempts to sabotage Federation operations and the schemes of the supreme Commander of the space fleet, surely one of the most evil female characters on television, to bring down these criminals and take possession of their alien craft. Pretty bad-ass concept, really....the main characters regularly get killed off and nobody is safe. INterestingly, the dutch "space metal" band Star 1 is named after a concept in this show, and the song "Intergalactic Space Crusaders" basically tells the entire story of the show in encapsulated form.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:31 pm 

I dont watch too many non-sports shows these days, but I do dig (speaking of British shows) the "new generation" Doctor Who series, which airs in the United States on PBS. We usually get them about a season behind the UK, so I havent gotten to see the "third" Doctor yet.

For some reason I absolutely LOVE Hells Kitchen. Chef Gordon Ramsey cracks me up, seriously. Although this season, it seems to be kinda getting old.

Adept128
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:52 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:

I personally think that Clone Wars is the only good kids cartoon still on the air. Spongebob really went to shit after the first few seasons, but I liked Fairly Oddparents better anyway

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:13 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
I dont watch too many non-sports shows these days, but I do dig (speaking of British shows) the "new generation" Doctor Who series, which airs in the United States on PBS. We usually get them about a season behind the UK, so I havent gotten to see the "third" Doctor yet.

For some reason I absolutely LOVE Hells Kitchen. Chef Gordon Ramsey cracks me up, seriously. Although this season, it seems to be kinda getting old.

The third season of the new Dr. Who is pretty good. THere's a nice sort of literary subtext to everything that I appreciate. Matt Smith is much better than David Tenant as the DOctor, I think.

That said, I still have a much greater fondness for the old series, with its scripts free of pop culture references and more willing to explore alien planets and such, even if they all tended to be filmed in quarries somewhere.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:17 pm 

I loathe reality tv. Will not stand for it.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:34 pm 

I favor movies over television shows. I can only think of two that I follow and they're both British; Misfits and Peep Show. Judging by the adverts, Misfits seemed like it was going to be a big pile of wank but it's turned out to be pretty damned amazing. Love the story lines, the comedy, the characters, the twists, pretty much everything about it.

I hear it's kinda like a mixture of Heroes, Skins and lots of little influences in between. I'm not fond of Skins, I've never watched Heroes and yet I still love it. :)

Peep Show has been something I've followed for several years now and though there has been an inevitable decline in quality, I still enjoy it and want to see where the characters end up.

I did get into South Park for a while but, as people have said, it's very hit or miss. I'm also looking to start watching Fawlty Towers again. Haven't seen it in a decade or so but I used to love it.

Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:30 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
I loathe reality tv. Will not stand for it.

FUCKING THIS. shows like jersey shore or the real housewives of botox hills are the most annoying shows ever. i don't understand the appeal and probably never will. the fact that people like that can get their fame and fortune while people with an IQ higher than 3 work hard to get by is just mind-boggling.

Well, that's not uncommon at all. Many people go on 4chan in order to get off.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:40 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Just watched episode 11 of the 5th season of Dexter and it was great. Really frigging intense - man I love this show. Vital, nail-biting, suspenseful and cut-throat. It started off good, but with the last two seasons has become something truly great and first-class. There's been a very subtle progression in the writing that has turned it into something more mainstream - slightly - but also more grandiose and more intricate.

I agree somewhat, Aus has only had the first two eps of season 5 so far, and it hasn't impressed me too much, there is a noticable shit from plot driven stuff to relationship drama. It started to be getting a little bit stale by season 3, but Season 4 really brought a lot of life back, easily the best of the show.

Argonauth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:52 pm 

Can't bleive the person who first talked about Cartoon Network forgot the Regular Show?!?!? Regular Show is totally friggin' awesome, and Adventure Time, too

Regular Show sort of reminds me of when they tried the 'What A Cartoon' series in the mid-90's, but with constant characters instead of different ones, and a bit more 'mature', of course
It also ironically seems like a variation of Beavis & Butthead, minus the vid's and alot more WTF

Moravian_black_moon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:57 pm 

Has anyone seen Superjail on Adult Swim? Brutal show.

hij
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:58 pm 

Cool

Last edited by hij on Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:05 pm 

Moravian_black_moon wrote:
Has anyone seen Superjail on Adult Swim? Brutal show.

Yes. I was skeptical at first, but it's a pretty good show. Good animation (a very rare thing for adult swim), interesting character designs, lots of color and movement, a real treat to watch. The characters themselves are outlandish and amusing, the humour is a nice mix of sight gags, subtle genre needling, and lighthearted goofiness, which mirrored with the brutal setting and constant violence lends the whole a good vaneer of surrealism (which also matches the visual design philosophy). Good show, looking forward to a new season, someday, maybe...

holyrebels
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:11 pm 

Dirty Jobs, Deadliest Catch, Pawn Stars, Ancient Aliens, and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:27 pm 

As for shows I watch, I tend to lean towards comedies, with not many dramas actually appealing too me, but I have been getting into a few of the showcase ones. The only one I've seen all off is Dexter, but I'm quite fond of Breaking Bad from what I've seen of it, quite a lot more serious that I expected but very interesting and fun. I'm only just starting season 2, but season one had a lot of appealing elements. Sadly all of the non-meth cooking really feels like emmy bait (Seriously, the family issues are ridiculously over done on the whole "Real art is Angsty" trope), and for that reason Eps 4 and 5 of season one were pretty dull.

Otherwise I'm mostly into comedies, quite a few of the popular animated ones, South Park, Futurama, Simpsons, King of the Hill. KotH is actually the one I've been taking the most interest in of late, which is surprising since I hated it when I first saw it. As for live action comedies, I'm massively into Blackadder, Black Books and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I don't usually go for the "Look how immoral we are" comedy, but Sunny does it really well. Best thing Danny DeVito has ever done.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:02 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I don't usually go for the "Look how immoral we are" comedy, but Sunny does it really well. Best thing Danny DeVito has ever done.

I've been recommended that show before. I will get round to seeing it at some point ... Eventually. Sounds like it could be right down my alley.

Death157
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:38 pm 

Pretty much anything AMC broadcasts nowadays is amazing. Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Rubicon, and The Walking Dead are great. I'm surprised nobody mentioned Entourage, but anyway I'll second "Always Sunny" and Dexter.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:58 pm 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I don't usually go for the "Look how immoral we are" comedy, but Sunny does it really well. Best thing Danny DeVito has ever done.

I've been recommended that show before. I will get round to seeing it at some point ... Eventually. Sounds like it could be right down my alley.

It took me a few eps to get into it, when Danny DeVito shows up it improves massively over the early, but still funny episodes.

DrFunkenstein
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:12 am 

Anyone a fan of the X Files? Started watching it a couple months ago (halfway through the fourth season). I never watched it when it was new, but I am really enjoying it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:15 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I agree somewhat, Aus has only had the first two eps of season 5 so far, and it hasn't impressed me too much, there is a noticable shit from plot driven stuff to relationship drama. It started to be getting a little bit stale by season 3, but Season 4 really brought a lot of life back, easily the best of the show.

Season 5 really picks up the pace after episode 5 or so. Trust me, it gets a lot more intense.

Fulci420
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:56 am 

Only good shows on tv now is 2 and a half men.

BoltTheGates
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:55 am 

Leechmaster wrote:
Love me some classic Simpsons.

As do I. :-)

I can't go five minutes watching any of the new episodes without feeling overwhelming rage and sadness at what The Simpsons has become. They should have ended on a high note like Seinfeld. That's why I rank Seinfeld as my favorite tv show (all classic episodes and they knew when to quit).

My latest obsession has been It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. I got the first three seasons on DVD about a month ago and watched all of it in a matter of days. It kinda reminds me of Seinfeld, but on crack.

I end up watching a lot of TV-on-DVD because there isn't a lot on that really interests me and I like that I can choose which episodes I want to watch. I own multiple seasons of the following shows: King Of The Hill, The Simpsons, South Park, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. I also own the Beavis And Butthead box set, the Adult Swim Cash Grab Box, and Squidbillies, Vol. 3 DVD. I plan on getting the rest of the It's Always Sunny DVDs soon and the complete Seinfeld box set eventually.

I also end up watching a lot of the History Channel. I can't help but watch Pawn Stars and American Pickers, for some reason (I don't care for their imitators at all though). I also like Mythbusters a lot.

Attitude
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:08 am 

I don’t watch TV as it bores me to tears and I switched the damn thing off about 8 years ago. However, I do enjoy some TV shows and if it’s something I really like, I’ll buy the series box sets on DVD or Blu-Ray, rather than sit through commercial nonsense.

I’m a huge fan of Trailer Park Boys.. possibly the funniest show I’ve ever seen. I love the characters and the writing is great and has had some guest appearances from the likes of Rush and Sebastian Bach (Skid Row).

Always been a bit of a Star Trek fan and have all the series on DVD. As under rated as the show was, Enterprise was excellent in season 3, the whole season is essentially one long evolving episode.

Breaking Bad. Currently I only have seasons 1 & 2 via download, but I’ll be getting the series next year. For those that haven’t seen it, here’s a brief synopsis of season one from Wikipedia:

“Set and produced in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Breaking Bad is the story of Walter White (Bryan Cranston), a struggling high school chemistry teacher who is diagnosed with advanced lung cancer at the beginning of the series. He turns to a life of crime, producing and selling methamphetamine with his former student Jesse Pinkman (Aaron Paul) in a desire to secure his family's financial future”.

I’m a Ricky Gervais fan, we share a similar sense of humour. The Office (English version!!) was excellent.. Extras was awesome. Some of the episodes were almost cringe worthy and very amusing. I think it was a good thing to only run two seasons.

Currently, I’ve just bought the Battlestar Galactica box set so I’m just going through season 1. Not sure what to make of it yet. It’s a bit all over the place and I sometimes find it tiresome to follow what’s going on. The story line isn’t engaging enough to warrant the effort so far. At this point I’m thinking it would have been better as a movie rather than the drawn out TV show that it seems to be.

Rild
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:03 am 

Mantracker is my favourite show on television. Yeah yeah, I download HBO series on torrent like everyone else but that doesn't count. Mantracker is the only show I sit through commercial breaks to watch.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 182  Next