Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:11 am 

started watching 13 Reasons Why.

it's kinda annoyingly moralistic, as if it was made to be shown in schools, but it's more irritating how they just had to use a flawless pretty girl who apparently no one thinks is pretty as the protagonist.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:40 am 

Erotetic wrote:
started watching 13 Reasons Why.

it's kinda annoyingly moralistic, as if it was made to be shown in schools, but it's more irritating how they just had to use a flawless pretty girl who apparently no one thinks is pretty as the protagonist.

This show is good, but I got about 2/3 of the way through season 1 before I realised that I like none of the characters. The main guy is totally unlikeable and I felt like he wasn't handling anything well enough. The supporting cast wasn't that much better. I got to the end of season 1 because I wanted to see the resolution of how it all ended. I watched the first episode of season 2 and decided to leave it there mainly because....
Spoiler: show
at the end of the episode Hannah comes back as some sort of ghost and can freely talk to the main guy and that's where it lost me. It totally lost all realism and I wasn't interested to see how it played out anymore.

I hope you like it, and I think it does make some good headway into portraying mental health, but it's not the best. It does go downhill after season 1, apparently.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:56 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
I hope you like it, and I think it does make some good headway into portraying mental health, but it's not the best. It does go downhill after season 1, apparently.

I should think so. it's hard to imagine the need for a season 2, so it could've only been forced into existence (like True Detective season 2 and other garbage that had to continue to exist due to a popular first 'season' (shit that actually stands alone as a movie/mini series, but because it's TV, they act like it just goes on and on).)

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:22 pm 

Is season 2 of True Detective really that bad? I haven't watched it yet but I kinda refuse to believe it could be outright trash.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Meditari
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:51 pm 

^It's not outright trash.

I appreciate the gloomy and oppressive atmosphere. There are some pretty good lines mixed with some goofy ones, some pretty good moments of acting, and some interesting choices in storytelling. I think the most interesting moments of the season was when the 3 main characters interacted with the people in their lives instead of focusing on the job. The drama there ranged from decent to very good in my opinion, and sucked me in more than the main plot. Also there's some cool music.

So, for me at least, "outright trash" is not how I would describe it. I would describe it as a disappointing follow up to the first season. It didn't have the same kind of compelling characters and seamless bind of personal drama mixed with the detective drama. In S1 nothing felt separate, everything felt important, and the journey of these two characters, for me, came to a completely satisfactory ending even despite
the case not being fully cracked
. I can't say that about S2. The characters are more just really fucked up than they are compelling, and the story while having interesting mysteries at first, is not resolved in any meaningful way and the personal drama barely tied into it by the end and left not much impact for me. It's just a bit of "well I guess that's over now". If S2 was S1 I would not continue with the show probably. S3 looks interesting, though! Let's hope that turns out better.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:20 pm 

No, it's not trash at all. It's just a well-done cop drama show. If season 1 never existed, season 2 would probably be hailed as one of the best straightforward crime/police drama series in quite a while. However, season 1 had even more captivating leads, a more interesting setting, and more elements of philosophical musings and of course that vaguely supernatural borderline cosmic horror stuff that took it to another level. Season 2 is very pedestrian in comparison to that. Shit, for people new to the show I'd actually probably recommend watching season 2 first.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:46 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Is season 2 of True Detective really that bad? I haven't watched it yet but I kinda refuse to believe it could be outright trash.

It's not trash. The problem with season 2 is that it has 4 main characters instead of 2, with the same amount of episodes as the first season and trying to tell double the amount of stories. It is inconsistent in its pacing and narrative jumps abound, but the tone and acting and overall story are pretty damn good. It isn't as tightly focused as S1 and doesn't quite suck you in as much as a consequence, but I enjoyed it.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:30 pm 

Yeah that's exactly right. Honestly I think season 2 could've been as good as season 1 if they'd just had around 3-4 more episodes to wrap things up better. The pacing in the first 6 or so episodes is super slow, gradually building the characters and setting, and then all at once they seemed to realize they only had a few episodes left to wrap up the whole mystery, and the last few (despite featuring some of the best scenes of the whole series) felt really goddamn rushed. It seemed at first like the season was building to some sort of grand revelation on the level of season 1's, but the denouement ending up being pretty mundane.

Still really good, and I agree with bats that the show almost works better with the season order reversed. If they'd aired the other way around, everyone would rave about the show as a whole - instead season 2 is viewed as a disappointment. Which it is! But it's like thinking you won $1,000,000 in the lottery, only to find out you won a mere $100,000.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:32 pm 

I'll add my 2 cents since I've recently watched True Detective. Season 2 is not trash but it has a lot of problems, first of which I'd say is Vince Vaughn, the actor and his character. I was extremely annoyed whenever he was on screen during the first few episodes. His scenes would basically go "fuck fuck fuck I'm awesome and you're weaker than me and you'll do as I please fuck fuck fuck." The rest of the characters weren't really interesting. They're all totally fucked up in their personal lives and it all felt forced and not engaging. And then you have a complex story that's just not developed well enough, given the number of main characters and the action. I stopped following the story early on since at many points I had no idea what was going on, I was just "seeing" what was happening rather than going through it.

It still has positive stuff though, and I guess I ended up liking it. I enjoyed the actions scenes, and there were quite a few of them. Of course nothing like that long take from season 1, but there's a particular long shootout scene that was incredibly awesome. I also liked the fact that despite everything the show tries to remain "realistic," especially with the action scenes and their aftermath (immediate or long-term).

But yeah, compared to season 1 it's just disappointing.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:03 am 

I started Bojack season 5, and I just couldn't pull myself away from it, so I ended up watching it in one sitting! The Free Churro episode was exceptional.

The way they draw you in emotionally and then completely subvert your expectations at the end of the episode is brilliant. Having lost a parent myself, I couldn't help but get sucked in and be completely thrown for a loop.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:22 am 

I think I figured out why BoJack season 5 wasn't making me laugh as much despite it being totally engrossing...

It's because he essentially got #MeToo'd a few episodes in from the season 2 events with that deer girl Penny. Nothing major ended up coming from that, but it was essentially pulling the rug out from under you: "remember that shit he did a few years ago? Well, that's probably something he should've been taken to task for." Awesome continuity with how they did it. I think you sort of thought all of it was over and done with, that he'd suffered and tortured himself enough over that, but this season really brought it back up for how serious that was. Because he's the main character, maybe we viewed it through a different sort of prism, and now we started to see it through a more objective lens. It all got extremely uncomfortable to watch.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:15 pm 

Season 5 is excellent, but the way I've been describing it to people who haven't watched it yet is that when Bojack started out, the show was 75% comedy and 25% drama, and now it's the other way around. It's especially less funny now that he's finally sorta started maybe facing up to the consequences of his actions instead of running away from them? Maybe?
For example, the way he played off the whole choking incident on the talk show at the end, as Gina had asked him, rather than doing what would've personally made him feel better, showed that he's actually maybe starting to listen to other people and being more considerate of them. We'll have to wait until season 6 to see if it sticks.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:42 am 

It's definitely progressing and exploring new dramatic waters, but it never stopped being funny - Season 4 was hysterical for instance. This one had a lot of jokes I could recognize as funny objectively, but I just wasn't laughing so much because of how squeamish the entire situation around the jokes was.

Another sad thing about this season was that for the most part he wasn't too bad. He'd made improvements in Season 4, becoming a bit nicer to be around and trying to do genuinely good things for people. He tried more in this season, but his past demons caught up to him and he started to crack. Much more tragic than if they'd just gone 'oh, he fucks everything up again like always.'

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:56 pm 

Has anyone else watched Maniac yet? I'm only about halfway through the season but fuck it's good so far. The parody/retro-futuristic 80s setting ought to be antithesis to the very heavy personal drama the show slings around, but for some reason it works perfectly. In the same way, Jonah Hill shouldn't be this good at a serious role, but he is. Still plenty of time to fuck things up but for now I love it - the closest I can put it is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind but in a Robocop setting.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:21 pm 

I've only got two episodes left and it's really interesting and weird - visually fascinating and Emma Stone and Jonah Hill are just killing it. The story is super intricate with the number of bizarro different mutations it takes on. I like that it's trying to be very psychological, although my complaint would be that so far, it hasn't really gotten past the same themes and refrains established in the first few episodes to really hit a level of depth. But the effort is admirable.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:51 pm 

Maniac was okay. I watched the whole thing but I wasn't terribly impressed. I liked the idea but the execution was a little off. Still, not the worst thing I've ever seen.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:01 pm 

I'm only 10 episodes in, but Star Wars - Clone Wars has to be among the best Star Wars media. The attention to detail is excellent, the writing is surprisingly sharp, and some interesting characters (General Grievous) get some well deserved time in the spotlight.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:24 pm 

Anyone started to watch Castlevania S2 on Netflix yet?

My lord, the art and animation is gorgeous. :love:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:39 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
I'm only 10 episodes in, but Star Wars - Clone Wars has to be among the best Star Wars media. The attention to detail is excellent, the writing is surprisingly sharp, and some interesting characters (General Grievous) get some well deserved time in the spotlight.

You talking about the 2D Cartoon Network show? It's definitely excellent and one of my favorite pieces of SW material. The other characters that get an important depictions are the clones. Like, yeah they're all over the places in episodes 2 and 3 but Clone Wars is one of the only times they get to be the elite, unstoppable force they're supposed to be.

Meditari
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:47 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Anyone started to watch Castlevania S2 on Netflix yet?

My lord, the art and animation is gorgeous. :love:

Holy shit I didn't even know that was out! I loved the first season including the animation and whatnot, and now I'm about to devour this one.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:19 pm 

Hm, I was expecting to see this thread on fire about The Haunting of Hill House, but I was afraid to check until I finished the series. Did I miss the whole thing, or did no one really care about this show? I thought it was amazing. Truly some spooky/scary moments, fantastic acting and cinematography. Reading about the setpieces was incredible.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:29 pm 

I keep hearing about it, and since I'm almost done catching up on Bojack S4 and S5 and am still waiting for my pokey friends to catch up to me in Twin Peaks (I feel like they watch an episode a week at best...grumble grumble) I might as well give that show a whirl.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:45 pm 

Man, I would give it about the highest recommendation for a tv show possible. Up there with some of my all-time favorites. I'd say it's EASILY the best "spooky/scary" tv show I've ever seen. I'm talking genuine moments of true discomfort. Netflix originals can be so hit or miss, I went into this one with zero expectations and I COULD NOT consume the show fast enough. Luckily my girl could only handle 1 episode about every 2 days so she kept me at a reasonable pace. Shit gets heavy, admittedly.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:48 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Hm, I was expecting to see this thread on fire about The Haunting of Hill House, but I was afraid to check until I finished the series. Did I miss the whole thing, or did no one really care about this show? I thought it was amazing. Truly some spooky/scary moments, fantastic acting and cinematography. Reading about the setpieces was incredible.

I thought it was pretty close to flawless and the best horror media this year. It really showed what you can do with horror as an art form because it was about so much more than just some jump scares or an old house with creepy lighting. This was like an epic tragedy and focused on the lingering effects of horror on its characters, which was pretty profound compared to the way most in the genre do things. Mike Flanagan's best yet I think. The artistry and craftsmanship in the writing and cinematography just made it an arresting experience.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:02 pm 

YES sir! I have to say I was really surprised how good it is. The first episode was good, but didn't really set me up with expectations for just HOW spectacular it gets. Would recommend for basically ANY fans of horror/thriller, with a special asterisk for fans of Hereditary.

There's a depth to the emotional plight of the family that really brings the whole thing home. They also play with time in a way that is super enjoyable for me, and probably anyone who loved True Detective Season 1 will find some similarities in the way the story is told. I've noticed a lot of shows are starting to do this now, and I think it rules when done expertly. I've heard about an amazon prime show called Homecoming that does the same thing. Was developed from a podcast apparently. I'm curious.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:21 pm 

Well, now I'm definitely sold. Bojack is crushing me pretty hard but I'm excited to watch this.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:23 pm 

Yeah, the more I pay attention to how people tell stories in TV and film, the more it seems like one of the best ways to make characters well-rounded and in-depth is to show the kind of impact a character's childhood or some event from the past had, to weave things from past and present into a story. There are hammy or overly spoon-fed ways to do that, but I thought Haunting of Hill House really pulled it off. The scene-jumping through time was very good.

I didn't think anything would beat BoJack and Better Call Saul for me this year but this was right up there personally.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:43 pm 

Definitely. There's nothing more frustrating than a really heavy-handed flash back scene to give you some kind of "origin story". I fucking hate that shit. But if you can find a clever way to flip back and forth between two (or more) timelines simultaneously, while letting the overall story unfold? God damn. TD S1 was the first time I saw this really work masterfully, I believe. Glad some other people are taking notice.

Batjim: You know I want that hot take when you get into it! Keep in mind episode 1 didn't blow me away, but it was damn good, even still. The show just blossoms from the second and third episodes into something fairly special. Hoping you dig it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:01 pm 

Yeah Daredevil's new season had a quite lame and over-long flashback I just saw that really slowed down the episode and story. Made me miss Haunting of Hill House in comparison.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:11 pm 

I'm not surprised! I think the superhero genre has to be the worst offender when it comes to hammy-ass flashbacks. only video games tend to do worse. "HERE! TAKE ALL THIS EXPOSITION SO WE CAN GET TO THE FIGHTING!"

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:29 pm 

Regarding the Haunting of Hill House Discussion, I pretty much totally agree. Didn't expect it to be so consistently strong, delivering the goods throughout in a very Stephen King-esque manner of going back and forth in time (I know King didn't invent the concept and I know the source material predates King, it's just what came to mind when I saw it). Very reminiscent of IT to me, really, as far as the storytelling is concerned; slowly revealing things from the past, the adult protagonists confronting the evil they faced as kids. The tension and suspense are absolutely superb, it never really slows down, it keeps driving right to the point, and it actually had a mostly satisfying ending for me, which is often a problem I have with horror. Just really great writing with almost no flaws. Best horror I've seen in a long time.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:31 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Regarding the Haunting of Hill House Discussion, I pretty much totally agree. Didn't expect it to be so consistently strong, delivering the goods throughout in a very Stephen King-esque manner of going back and forth in time (I know King didn't invent the concept and I know the source material predates King, it's just what came to mind when I saw it). Very reminiscent of IT to me, really, as far as the storytelling is concerned; slowly revealing things from the past, the adult protagonists confronting the evil they faced as kids. The tension and suspense are absolutely superb, it never really slows down, it keeps driving right to the point, and it actually had a mostly satisfying ending for me, which is often a problem I have with horror. Just really great writing with almost no flaws. Best horror I've seen in a long time.

Yeah King is definitely hugely influenced by the source material for this, so it makes sense. It's a funny ouroboros-type of effect. That new IT movie undoubtedly influenced stuff like this with its polish and attention to character over just pure scares. And Mike's a huge Stephen King fan himself. It all comes together.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:21 pm 

Yeah I suspected King might have been influenced by the source material, but I hadn't done enough research to know for sure, plus I was unsure of how faithful to the source this adaptation was. I haven't actually read anything from Jackson, aside from reading The Lottery in class during high school. Sounds like I probably need to fix that! I'm still kind of a horror noob, I didn't really get fully into the genre until I was 22. Sounds like I've got some work to do!

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:28 am 

Started watching The Haunting of Hill House (spoilers through episode 3):

I really like the horror elements of this, and the cast are all really good. The thing that I think is holding me back from totally loving it three episodes in is that the dramatic elements for the characters haven't really clicked yet. I think it could be just because there are sort of too many people - the parents and five kids, plus lots of jumping around in the timeline. It's hard to grow attached to any of them so far. Also, the so far off-camera death of Nell has meant the grief of her suicide is just not really as visceral for me as, say, Hereditary. The first time I really had any emotional response to the dramatic stuff was right at the end of episode 3, when Theo touched Nell's body and had the super strong reaction to it. That was really good stuff - hopefully the show has more like that as it goes on.

But, I can definitely see how it will be a grower as it progresses.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:11 am 

That scene at the end of Episode 3 is where the whole show really took off for me, and I couldn't wait to get to the next one. I hope you start to feel that connection with the family, otherwise the show will probably not be very interesting.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:13 am 

I think the interwoven stories and flashing back and forth from past to present is one of the best parts of the show - hope it grows on ya with the following eps for sure. I think it gets better and better as you go on. Probably going to start re-watching it today actually.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:47 am 

Well fuck, episode 4 just killed me. Ok, roped in. Jesus.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:56 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Well fuck, episode 4 just killed me. Ok, roped in. Jesus.

This makes me very happy.

metaller92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:22 am 

blitzinator wrote:
how bout you? How's your tubin?

I first look on any action in terms of time-consuming. Is it useful for me or not? I don't know, what you can see on TV in your country, but where I live, I can find nothing interesting for me, besides "culture" channel. I don't turn on TV at home.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:01 am 

The new season of MST3K appears to only be 6 episodes, but they did manage to get some seriously polished turds in there, not the least of which is fucking Mac & Me. What a pile of shit that movie is.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145 ... 182  Next