Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:03 pm 

Tried Revolution, the new J.J. Abrams thisisnotLost vehicle. Not engaging on any level. Too bad, because it's an interesting premise. There's a real opportunity to make damning statements about our over-mechanized society and its dependence on gadgets. Instead, they had ninja swordfights. Where'd they even GET all the swords? They're not exactly super common.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:05 pm 

Any brit watch the first episode of the second series of Fresh Meat? It just finished airing.

While I didn't much like it at first, Fresh Meat became my absolute top pick for 2011. I've never before seen pathos woven so elegantly into Peep Show-style comedy. It's an absolutely brilliant show.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:48 pm 

GTog wrote:
Tried Revolution, the new J.J. Abrams thisisnotLost vehicle. Not engaging on any level. Too bad, because it's an interesting premise. There's a real opportunity to make damning statements about our over-mechanized society and its dependence on gadgets. Instead, they had ninja swordfights. Where'd they even GET all the swords? They're not exactly super common.

I just finished the fourth episode and I'm ready to give up on it. It's become incredibly repetitive and tiresome. I really dislike the way everything degrades into an argument and how someone has to stay or leave, kill or be killed. I grow bored of the flash back scenes that occur in every episode and how things don't add up but get more complex with unnecessary twists.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:52 pm 

Quote:
I just finished the fourth episode and I'm ready to give up on it. It's become incredibly repetitive and tiresome. I really dislike the way everything degrades into an argument and how someone has to stay or leave, kill or be killed. I grow bored of the flash back scenes that occur in every episode and how things don't add up but get more complex with unnecessary twists.

Well, that's Lost for you though, isn't it? Flashbacks to give the appearance of giving illuminating backstory, while actually confusing things. Then 7 seasons later, it turns out they were dead, which the internet figured out 15 minutes after the first episode. In between a lot of advertising was sold. The end.

Regarding Revolution, my "15 minutes later" theory is that a GRB happend somewhere in the universe and fried Earth. The keyfob thingies are nuclear isomer batteries. Google it. I guess we'll find out in 7 years...

evil528e
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:11 am 

The new show Grimm has gotten a little boring for me, as most cop type shows usually do.

The Big bang Theory is definately my new favorite sitcom, as most of the others just plain suck.

I am glad Family Guy got away from the gore they had in season 10 (9?). They are going back to what worked within the first 4 seasons.

I am pretty fond of "Hardcore Pawn", "Hollywood treasure", "Impractical Jokers", and "Star Trek, TNG" (even if old).

Can't they come up with a new Star Trek TV series (Enterprise sucked) or MST3K????
http://www.facebook.com/stikrz <----because it's free!

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:26 am 

evil528e wrote:
Can't they come up with a new Star Trek TV series (Enterprise sucked) or MST3K????

Ever seen Cinematic Titanic? It's the old crew (Joel, Trace, Frank, Mary Jo, and even Josh Weinstein) doing what they do best, riffing the shit out of bad movies. Forget rifftrax, which is just snarking at good movies.

CT started with a studio silhouette concept, just like MST3K. But they also did a live tour, and soon just started taping the live shows. Which are awesome, by the way. Catch one as soon as you can. I don't think they'll be doing this forever.

Go to their website, buy their DVDs. There's like a dozen to choose from.

evil528e
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:30 am 

No but I will check it out!
http://www.facebook.com/stikrz <----because it's free!

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:51 pm 

Now I feel like I've done my good deed for the day.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:55 pm 

GTog wrote:
Forget rifftrax, which is just snarking at good movies.

The Twilight films are "good movies", now?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:20 pm 

evil528e wrote:
The Big bang Theory is definitely my new favorite sitcom, as most of the others just plain suck.

:lol:

Anyways, the season premiere of It's Always Sunny was hilarious, this should be a great season. Still the funniest show on TV.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:28 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
GTog wrote:
Forget rifftrax, which is just snarking at good movies.

The Twilight films are "good movies", now?

Didn't even know they did the Twilight films. Those deserved it. Mostly I'm just a little miffed that they did the Lord of the Rings movies.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:35 pm 

GTog wrote:
Well, that's Lost for you though, isn't it? Flashbacks to give the appearance of giving illuminating backstory, while actually confusing things. Then 7 seasons later, it turns out they were dead, which the internet figured out 15 minutes after the first episode. In between a lot of advertising was sold. The end.

Well they aren't all dead at the end so clearly you never paid attention to show.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:20 pm 

They were very much dead with regards to the "flash-sideways", actually. Anyway, Lost fucking sucks, and if you watched it, don't start, it's a marketing gimmick bordering on fraud, really. They introduce mysterious plot elements with promises to resolve them, but they even admitted (later, of course) that they had no idea what they meant and were purely there to hook viewers. The ending is unsurprisingly complete garbage.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:42 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
They were very much dead with regards to the "flash-sideways", actually. Anyway, Lost fucking sucks, and if you watched it, don't start, it's a marketing gimmick bordering on fraud, really. They introduce mysterious plot elements with promises to resolve them, but they even admitted (later, of course) that they had no idea what they meant and were purely there to hook viewers. The ending is unsurprisingly complete garbage.

Yeah they're dead in the flash-sideways but all the Island events happened and they were alive then which is what gets most people confused. The flash-sideways are just after events when they're finally all dead, whether because of the Island, or after events (old age ect). Anyway, Lost is good. It seems to be cool to hate Lost though. Regardless of it's problems and unexplained mysteries, I still enjoyed it. Most tv shows are make-it-up-as-you-go-along but only Lost seems to get flak for it.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:26 am 

Because most TV shows don't promise answers to the mysteries and don't introduce said mysteries in the first place simply to hook viewers and get ratings, only to simply drop the ball and go "lol sorry I have no clue I just made random shit up that sounded mysterious". Also, Lost started out cool in S1, but the writing turned to shit very fast even when not counting the glaring plot holes, where most of the characters became annoying and insufferable instead of interesting and sympathetic.

Lost is absolute garbage and I would not recommend it to anyone. Even relatively banal (but always mildly and consistently entertaining) procedurals like The Mentalist or Castle are more worth watching than Lost.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:54 am 

Well agree to disagree. I personally loved Lost.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:49 am 

So, The Walking Dead premiere.

Spoiler: show
A lot less walking and more dead, so that's in it's favor. The writers apparently read every internet gripe ever written about the show. They have silencers on the guns. Which don't really make guns silent, but whatever. It seemed kind of obvious. Rick is pissed at Lori, which he should have been all along because she sucks. They even tried to make Carl more useful, or at least less useless.

The only thing I'm not looking forward to is Michonne. I'm sorry, I know the comic book fans are pissing themselves with joy, but metal and comic books have this in common - swords are fucking stupid. No one would use a sword like they do on TV unless they planned on only using it once.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:49 pm 

Yeah, I was surprised too. Out of all the TV shows I follow, TWD is the one I actually dislike, but want it to be good so I keep watching... and last night's episode was pretty solid, better than the normally superior TV shows I watch who had subpar episodes (Dexter and Homeland). The only small stain was
the zombies spawning like video game mobs right at the corner marked by Glenn's arrows... where did they appear from if Glenn & co. came from there? Hah. Also, does amputating a zombie-bitten limb actually work to prevent a turning? I forgot if we've seen it before. Guess we'll find out with Hershel.

Not sure what you mean about swords, but if you meant that the black lady is not holding or using it properly, then I concur... then again sword use/fighting is hardly ever portrayed accurately on TV, so meh, I can let that slide. :P

Homeland is turning into later-era 24 (i.e. contrived and silly) with this latest episode. :ugh: Other than the Carrie/Saul arc (mostly the episode ending), it was pretty terrible.
So Al-Qaeda sends their most visible, high-profile spy, a congressman and VP candidate, to retrieve that vest maker? :rolleyes: No way in seven hells they'd risk outing Brody like that. Next; a flat tire and no jack. Of couuuurse. How contrived. Then the old man falls on some... random impaling spike on the forest floor? Whaaa? And then, Brody desperately tries everything he can to save him, but decides it's a good time to answer the phone? And then, he decides that the old man is an inconvenience after all and he just snaps his neck? :lol: :lol: I LOLed at his "shower" at the self-service car wash too, I'm not sure it was intended to be comedic though. But yeah Brody's misadventures in the woods was just groan-worthy the entire time. I almost expected a mountain lion to show up...

Oh yeah, and Saul has never heard of youtube or dropbox, I guess. Or even email. But at least he did secure that SD card, I would have groaned if the Lebanon authorities had seized it for real. I don't know for how long they're going to drag that out, though, Brody has got to be outed and soon... I predict yet another contrivance to prevent Saul from showing that video to David. :|

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:00 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Also, does amputating a zombie-bitten limb actually work to prevent a turning? I forgot if we've seen it before. Guess we'll find out with Hershel.

I'm pretty sure we haven't.

"swords are fucking stupid"? :scratch:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:06 pm 

Yeah, I don't really get that... in a zombie apocalypse, swords would be fairly useful, especially to save limited ammo.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:31 pm 

The thing I'm excited for in TWD is that we're finally going to get a real villain.

Not one of the prisoners we saw at the end of the last episode, but The motherfucking Governor that we saw in the trailers.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:57 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Also, does amputating a zombie-bitten limb actually work to prevent a turning? I forgot if we've seen it before. Guess we'll find out with Hershel.

Yeah, you know there are scientific rules for how zombiism transmits.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:02 pm 

Obviously I was asking about the TV series's in-universe law of "zombiism", you smartass. :P

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

EssexCounty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:28 pm 

Ok so I avoided reading this thread because I didn't get to watch the Walking Dead when it aired. Welcome to my new life without cable tv because I live in the boonies and there are no cable companies out here right now. My dad recorded it for me though (on VHS!) and I just finished watching it.

So anyways, the episode wasn't bad. Did I miss something at the beginning when Rick threw the can of food? They're all starving even if they are pissy so I don't understand that scene. I agree with Gtog and am not looking forward to the Michonne story either. Hopefully they prove me wrong make her character more interesting though. I also hope Andrea dies asap, she has annoyed me from the very beginning.

I am confused about the Hershel thing. I thought it was established at the end of the last season that everyone is already infected... they just don't turn until they die. That was the case with Shane if my memory serves me. He wasn't bit, but once he was killed, he became zombie. I understand cutting the leg for fear that the bite was going to kill him, but I am pretty sure he had just as good of a chance dying from getting his leg offed.

Edit: added spoiler

Last edited by EssexCounty on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:55 pm 

Zombification mechanics from TWD
Yeah, everyone is infected, meaning everyone turns if they die under any circumstances (aside from brain trauma). In regards to the bite, it's not the bite that turns you into a zombie, but the fever that's guaranteed to kill you. Amputate the leg before whatever causes the fever flows through your veins and then cauterize so he doesn't die from blood loss.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:47 pm 

EssexCounty wrote:
Ok so I avoided reading this thread because I didn't get to watch the Walking Dead when it aired. Welcome to my new life without cable tv because I live in the boonies and there are no cable companies out here right now. My dad recorded it for me though (on VHS!) and I just finished watching it.

So anyways, the episode wasn't bad. Did I miss something at the beginning when Rick threw the can of food? They're all starving even if they are pissy so I don't understand that scene. I agree with Gtog and am not looking forward to the Michonne story either. Hopefully they prove me wrong make her character more interesting though. I also hope Andrea dies asap, she has annoyed me from the very beginning.

I am confused about the Hershel thing. I thought it was established at the end of the last season that everyone is already infected... they just don't turn until they die. That was the case with Shane if my memory serves me. He wasn't bit, but once he was killed, he became zombie. I understand cutting the leg for fear that the bite was going to kill him, but I am pretty sure he had just as good of a chance dying from getting his leg offed.

Edit: added spoiler

Great episode IMO, lots of action, lots of violence. I really like the prison setting as well.

To Answer your question, Rick threw the can because it was dog food.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:47 am 

EssexCounty wrote:
I also hope Andrea dies asap, she has annoyed me from the very beginning.

Telling from the season 3 trailer you're going to be disappointed.

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:

Well, I think EssexCounty knows that. I assume they took it with them afterwards regardless? The scene was just supposed to show Rick's frustration and anger with the lack of progress and you-know-what.

And yeah, I liked the episode too. Basically because it was more dead and less t/walking.

EssexCounty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:58 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Telling from the season 3 trailer you're going to be disappointed.

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:

Well, I think EssexCounty knows that. I assume they took it with them afterwards regardless? The scene was just supposed to show Rick's frustration and anger with the lack of progress and you-know-what.

I suppose I wont be disappointed, I just wish she would die. She will probably add an element of drama this season therefor I'm sure they will keep her. I haven't seen the season 3 trailer nor scenes for next week.. guess I could go look for those now.

And not sure how, but I definitely missed that it was dog food. One of my childhood friends ate dog food a lot.. the smell makes me ill personally though.

Metalfuckingrules
The Ralph Wiggum Monologue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:15 pm 

Can someone explain to me what is so great about The Walking Dead? Is it the story-lines or the characters or whatever?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:27 pm 

It's not great at all...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:28 pm 

People like zombies and The Walking Dead is a fairly serious treatment of the subject. Not a lot of competition, especially on TV. That's why it's popular. The comic is a lot better.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:11 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
It's not great at all...

Thank you... everyone seems to have a huge hard on for that show but past the first 2 episodes i couldn't really get into it. If I want zombies I'll watch Romero, Fulci, etc.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:54 pm 

I don't like it. I don't like any current, recent or near future live action action-drama. If you need to know that someone doesn't like some generic action-drama that's currently popular, just remember me.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:27 pm 

It's fucking awful, imo. Watched about a dozen episodes, assuming that it absolutely must get less atrocious as it went on. Never happened.

If you're chomping on the bit for a non-shit zombie TV show, check out Charlie Brooker's underrated Dead Set. Now that's how you make a thoughtful zombie show!
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Metalfuckingrules
The Ralph Wiggum Monologue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:19 pm 

So basically, it's just like that Twilight-Vampire trend, right? Someone makes a book (or comic in this case), in which became popular enough to get it's own movie(s) or TV show. It becomes popular in the Mainstream culture. And in two or three years, it's popularity would eventually die off.

No wonder I don't watch television anymore.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:40 pm 

Metalfuckingrules wrote:
Can someone explain to me what is so great about The Walking Dead? Is it the story-lines or the characters or whatever?

It's one of those shows that I watch in hopes of it getting better.

The thing is that the TV show tries to be like the comic book but the writers are so bad it feels contrived in execution. Just like the TV show, The Walking Dead comics are more about exploring themes of leadership, living in a hunter-gatherer society, and development of relationships between characters than the zombies. The title The Walking Dead actually refers to the humans and their impending death. In fact, the zombies are just plot device for advancing the story.

What the TV show does wrong is that it all feels forced. In the comics, the dialogue is effective without being tedious at all and the conflicts between the characters are realistic (i.e you don't read the comics and wonder why the fuck they're arguing over something). In the TV show, they let conflicts drag on longer than they should (pretty much every conflict involving Lori for example).

The premier of season 3 is pretty good (mostly for the action) but they still can't seem to get the drama, characters in particular, right. It really sucks hearing show watchers say that want certain comic book favorites to die. The quality difference of the characters between the two universes is so drastic. :(

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:12 am 

Usually for me, games trump TV every time. I'd rather play games than just sit and watch some show. It's boring to me.

But lately The Wire has been dominating all my free time. Over some really good games too, like Deus Ex and Dishonored.

I'm 2/3s into Season 3.

Right now Cutty is my favorite character. When he tells Avon
"No you're not listening. The game ain't in me no more"
to me that was so badass. It was the right thing to do for one. That makes him a respectful character. And that took some balls. He took all the heat and just flat out told the truth to Avon.

Omar's rising too. I like him more and more. He could obviously see something was wrong with
Hamsterdam.
He knew it was wrong and he wanted nothing to do with it. He's the only one to catch on.

Marlo's clever too, but I just see him as a lesser Omar for right now.

Out of the cops Bunk is my favorite. That one private conversation with him and Omar. Oh man he overshadowed even Omar and seemed cooler than Omar at that moment.

Cutty's the one to beat though. He's the one I'm rooting for most.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:01 am 

The Wire is barely even television; it's just so much better than almost all other TV crime-dramas out there.

I'd also encourage you check out the early seasons of The Shield and Homicide: Life on the Street. While they're not quite as good as The Wire, they're still light years ahead of most police procedural(ish) television. Recommended.

Two episodes in to Fresh Meat and I'm already set to call the current series "comedy of the year"... again.

I'm not quite sure if it's better than its creators other productions (Peep Show, The Thick of It), but it's definitely on par. If you have Channel 4, you're basically committing a crime if you're not watching it.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:39 am 

darkeningday wrote:
The Wire is barely even television; it's just so much better than almost all other TV crime-dramas out there.

Oh man isn't that the truth. The 2nd to the last episode of Season 3 of The Wire. Biggest spoiler ever. I mean........
I was sure Stringer Bell would be alive all 5 seasons as he was sort of McNulty's nemesis.

It's like Game of Thrones with you know who. You're expecting them to get out alive somehow at the last minute. But nothing happens.

But yeah you're right. The Wire isn't TV. TV isn't bold. TV gives you happy emotions and likable characters. If it gives you negative emotions TV throws in a silver lining to take the edge off. Cause TV is nice like that. TV knows we like routine so it gives us familiar characters and throws out lots of tropes.

I don't like TV but I like The Wire. Therefore The Wire isn't TV :-P

EssexCounty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:27 am 

I just finished American Horror Story premiere. I did like the first season.. though it wasn’t great and definitely was overrated, I still kept up with it. My expectations were low because I didn’t like the end of season one but the first episode last night was weak at best. The whole asylum thing is always boring, cliché, and the same as every other asylum show/movie. I doubt I will watch this season… but I’ll give a few more episodes a chance. The pro of the episode, the cast. I like the returning people so far and I didn’t know Chloe Sevigny was going to be on the show this season. I’ve always liked her from Kids and American Psycho.

So yea, that’s what I thought… nothing special. I liked it less than I liked the first episode of Revolution :/

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 182  Next