Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:56 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
I am curious about the series though, mostly that I want to find out who the enemy is.

Uh it's Nu-Trek so the enemy is some Trump/Farage analogue running the Federation, we knew that since the show was first announced, they haven't deviated from that formula since Into Darkness and chances they'll deviate from it this time around are less than 0.1%, it's all they can come up with.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Timeghoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:47 pm 

Is anyone here a fan of, or was a fan of Ugly Americans? It was a cartoon on Comedy Central with adult oriented humor. It featured humans living amongst various other humanoid creatures. The creatures were everything imaginable. It was cancelled after only two seasons. It's been a few years now, but I was so hoping three would happen. There was talk it would, but it never materialized.

Quote:
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:01 pm 

droneriot wrote:
severzhavnost wrote:
I am curious about the series though, mostly that I want to find out who the enemy is.

Uh it's Nu-Trek so the enemy is some Trump/Farage analogue running the Federation, we knew that since the show was first announced, they haven't deviated from that formula since Into Darkness and chances they'll deviate from it this time around are less than 0.1%, it's all they can come up with.

Hmmm... In most every other series that has presented a less-than-utopian side to the Federation, I enjoyed it. But in those cases (notably Enterprise’s Section 31, but also those examples scattered around TNG and DS9, even that one episode of Voyager with the bad ship) that was always a secondary story line.
One of the ways Discovery lost the plot a bit was leaning too much on the dark mirror universe. It was too early in the series to make it so difficult to tell who’s a good guy! So if the new show follows that formula and makes the whole focus about political infighting, well, colour me sceptical.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Timeghoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:04 pm 

Just saw a really cool commercial on Adult Swim. It said the current inductees into the Rock Hall of Fame are....

Then it said that’s great, but what about Slayer? Then it flashed to a picture of the band from Show No Mercy, with the Slayer logo. It said something like get some balls and induct Slayer.

Quote:
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:49 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Hmmm... In most every other series that has presented a less-than-utopian side to the Federation, I enjoyed it. But in those cases (notably Enterprise’s Section 31, but also those examples scattered around TNG and DS9, even that one episode of Voyager with the bad ship) that was always a secondary story line.
One of the ways Discovery lost the plot a bit was leaning too much on the dark mirror universe. It was too early in the series to make it so difficult to tell who’s a good guy! So if the new show follows that formula and makes the whole focus about political infighting, well, colour me sceptical.

The mirror universe episodes of DS9 are all some of the worst Trek ever. Even the 2 Enterprise episodes are merely neat but not great. Except in TOS, the mirror universe only makes episodes worse, like a reverse crutch that somehow makes you lamer when you use it. To see that Discovery has already leaned on it more than even DS9 did makes me glad I haven't bothered with that show.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:54 am 

Hot take: the mirror universe was always shit. It was obviously just a way to lower production costs while still avoiding being yet another bottle episode. The concept of a parallel universe where everything is exactly the same except everyone's evil (they even had evil lighting!) is the kind of thing a five year old would come up with.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:13 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
droneriot wrote:
severzhavnost wrote:

I checked out fast on Discovery as it shat into the Mirror Universe immediately. Stories like this require us to have time to get to know characters first so that we can really enjoy the drama of seeing them go against their tonal opposites. Discovery leaped into this without even establishing the crew of the fucking ship, connections between characters, nothing. It's just a hot fucking mess of a show. I cared about only one character, and that was Pike, and then I heard he was going to be gone after season 2, so why fucking bother? All the reveals of "who's really bad and from the Mirror Universe" landed with a dull thud of "oh, okay. Fuck, whatever I guess."

This show is barely worth pirating and certainly not worth paying for.

So I'm extremely apprehensive about Picard. My first thought is that Paramount knows that the franchise is in serious disarray and they have no idea how to patch it up, so they're doing an "easy" series by giving us the retirement years/twilight saga of arguably the most beloved Captain character. When your franchise is a mess, or you don't know how to get fans back, take the easy route and tug on their nostalgia.

Then make 'em pay extra to watch it. Fuck the fans.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:34 pm 

I really can't comment. The first episode was extremely boring, but the reason I say I really can't comment is that this is the first Star Trek since The Animated Series and the first live action Star Trek since The Original Series to not start off with a double feature and I honestly think this was a serious mistake, because yeah, the first episode was extremely boring, but less than 50 minutes is also extremely little time to set up the opening of a show, it's obvious it's just a first part of something and they really should have released the second episode the same day to properly set it up a bit. I get it's the first part of a season arc and not of a two-parter, so it's not like I expect it to be resolved in the second episode, it's just that there should have been a bit more story to introduce the show and pull people in because so far we really didn't get much of anything and have to wait a week for (maybe) anything to latch on to and follow the story. I dunno why they did that, but hopefully I'm not the only one to complain about it and any possible future Star Trek show will return to a double feature debut. I'll have to wait till Friday until I can comment on anything because there's very little to say about it because very little happened.

GTog wrote:
The mirror universe episodes of DS9 are all some of the worst Trek ever.

They're definitely the worst DS9 and I skip them every time I re-watch the show. Also every straight woman in our universe is bisexual in the evil universe, even on Discovery, gotta love some of those weird-ass tropes Hollywood can't seem to shake.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:10 am 

Woof, Picard episode 2 is bad. How many god damn subplots will there be?!

Spoiler: show
Also Narek saying "I'm a very private person" to Not-Daj is absolutely pants on head moronic. You literally told her about your dead brother After speaking to her for THIRTY SECONDS. Also oversharing with strangers apparently leads directly to fucking, so yay I guess.

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:05 pm 

Enjoyed the second episode of Picard more than I thought I would. The writing on Discovery keeps it a no-go for me, but it hasn't been an automatic turn-off with Picard.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:20 pm 

I just started watching Black Jesus this week and I think it's a new personal classic. I was a huge fan of Boondocks back in the day so I'm not sure how I missed this one. It has such a feeling to it...like wholesome but mixed up with some real 'hood shenanigans. The way Jesus delivers every line with that unmistakable Compton accent, it just lights me up. I love the way he calls god "Pops" and gets on people about cursing while they're like actively trying to sell drugs and deal with gang warfare.

Aaron, you got me again!

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:13 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I just started watching Black Jesus this week and I think it's a new personal classic. I was a huge fan of Boondocks back in the day so I'm not sure how I missed this one. It has such a feeling to it...like wholesome but mixed up with some real 'hood shenanigans. The way Jesus delivers every line with that unmistakable Compton accent, it just lights me up. I love the way he calls god "Pops" and gets on people about cursing while they're like actively trying to sell drugs and deal with gang warfare.

Aaron, you got me again!

That show also makes me happy to see that Mike Clattenburg (former Trailer Park Boys director) is still making quality work, especially since TPB became complete shit in his absence. He really brings a level of "heart" to stuff that would otherwise just be crude (as does McGruder, which is why I think they work so well together on Black Jesus).

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:48 pm 

no mentions of Messiah yet? :/ I loved it! :) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7671598/

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:40 am 

I watched it. I thought it was really well done. Had a couple of dud episodes in there, but that's not bad for a 10 episode season.

Eva needs to be a lot less mopey is season 2, assuming they get a season 2. Her character started out interesting, but she quickly became eye-rollingly dull. Aviram was really cool, probably my favorite character aside from Al-Masih himself.

The tagline on Netflix's title page says "Not Based On True Events". :lol: :lol:

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:11 am 

droneriot wrote:

GTog wrote:
The mirror universe episodes of DS9 are all some of the worst Trek ever.

They're definitely the worst DS9 and I skip them every time I re-watch the show. Also every straight woman in our universe is bisexual in the evil universe, even on Discovery, gotta love some of those weird-ass tropes Hollywood can't seem to shake.

I'm curious why you guys hate the DS9 Mirror Universe episodes. I generally enjoy those. At least they aren't the shitty Move Along Home or Lady Quark episodes.

You do have a point on the Mirror Universe women being bisexual. That is a weird trope. They're painting bisexuality and overt sexuality as evil. That is the exact opposite of "very sexy aliens" classic Star Trek.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:20 pm 

The pilot episode of Picard is on YouTube for a limited time. It's at least worth free.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:06 pm 

Most of DS9 is some of the worst Trek ever, IMO. Remember those theater club nerds you knew in high school? Basically everyone on DS9. The Mirror Universe episodes simply allowed the theater nerds to indulge in alternate character portrayals once in a while so they could still call themselves actors without bursting into tears. Same with the time traveling Jake arc and basically every Ferengi-centric episode.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:57 pm 

Oh wow, Watchmen is really fucking good. Lindelof redemption arc?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:20 am 

So that BoJack finale certainly was pretty goddamn great. If you haven't caught it yet, you really should.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:17 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
So that BoJack finale certainly was pretty goddamn great. If you haven't caught it yet, you really should.

Those last episodes were just crushing. They couldn't have done it better.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:47 pm 

GTog wrote:
Most of DS9 is some of the worst Trek ever, IMO. Remember those theater club nerds you knew in high school? Basically everyone on DS9. The Mirror Universe episodes simply allowed the theater nerds to indulge in alternate character portrayals once in a while so they could still call themselves actors without bursting into tears. Same with the time traveling Jake arc and basically every Ferengi-centric episode.

Oh well shit, I like the time traveling Jake story and one thing I admired about DS9 was that it made Ferengi enjoyable characters at long last. DS9 was also notable that, as it grew into itself, was the only Trek with some genuinely strong comedy episodes and humor. Except, as noted, for the "Quark be a lady tonight" episode. God I hate that fucking episode. I recently rewatched all of DS9, and I think I cleaned the house as that episode limped along.

I will agree that DS9's filler episodes definitely feel like filler, but overall, I loved the strong and realistic character development, the espionage and war storytelling, and that the series was mixed war horrors and humor in a manner similar to MASH. As much as I love TNG, I think DS9 featured stronger overall character growth over time, in part because the series was more arc-centric than episodic. So there was more incentive for character growth over giving viewers an easy to digest "planet/alien of the week" format of TOS or TNG.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:50 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

The View From Halfway Down may be one of the best episodes of TV that I've seen. The poem in particular was so damn powerful.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

WilliG
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:55 am 

I've enjoyed Get Shorty The TV series - dramady I guess maybe the pigeonhole - thought it was hilarious though

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:17 pm 

stickyshooZ wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

The View From Halfway Down may be one of the best episodes of TV that I've seen. The poem in particular was so damn powerful.

Yeah it was haunting. I knew they'd do some wild shit like that for the penultimate episode.

"Xerox of a Xerox" and the few after that were some of the most uncomfortable things I've seen. I think the last episodes' arc was as tragic as any classic literary tragedy. Just so bittersweet and painful.

He did himself in in the end, and the traits that always defined his character, like his ego and excess, ended up leading him to ruin even as he tried to be better.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:31 pm 

Showtime's cancelling three of its longest running series; Ray Donovan, Shameless and Homeland. All once great shows but boy did Homeland really take a nosedive into crappery. Out of nostalgia, I am looking forward to its finale premiere on Sunday.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:17 pm 

stickyshooZ wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

I just finished it now. Yeah those last episodes were so good. I'm still upset the show is no longer running but they ended it in such a way that it's now impossible to bring it back. Amazing show. The best thing Netflix has done.

The View From Halfway Down is the type of episode that only Bojack Horseman can do. No other animation can pull it off that way. That goes for all the other episodes that are like that.

Fantastic series.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:15 am 

Empyreal wrote:
stickyshooZ wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Yeah it was haunting. I knew they'd do some wild shit like that for the penultimate episode.

"Xerox of a Xerox" and the few after that were some of the most uncomfortable things I've seen. I think the last episodes' arc was as tragic as any classic literary tragedy. Just so bittersweet and painful.

He did himself in in the end, and the traits that always defined his character, like his ego and excess, ended up leading him to ruin even as he tried to be better.

Finally finished it last night while editing comics. The first half of the final season didn't capture my attention as much, but I enjoyed the wind-down and the commentary on fake-ass celebrity apologies.

I found the ending bittersweet. Bojack found something that made him feel valuable and fulfilled and still fucked it up. In the end, everyone seemed to have ultimately grown apart, which struck me a bit. I had a major life upset last year and the friend group around that has largely dissipated, so I felt that. Bojack clearly wanted to have some of that life and connection back, but those people had moved on.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:33 am 

The final episode was kind of a mellow comedown, but a bit cynical in its own way... he's going to be OK but will basically have lost everything that made him special, his show, his money, all of it. He'll live like anybody would - no big dramatic scandalous death. But he won't be who he was and he'll just have to live every day anyway. I think it's realistic. They did grow apart, you're right, and that's also a very realistic way of concluding it.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:35 am 

Empyreal wrote:
The final episode was kind of a mellow comedown, but a bit cynical in its own way... he's going to be OK but will basically have lost everything that made him special, his show, his money, all of it. He'll live like anybody would - no big dramatic scandalous death. But he won't be who he was and he'll just have to live every day anyway. I think it's realistic. They did grow apart, you're right, and that's also a very realistic way of concluding it.

I think realistic is a good way to put it. Even a bit ironic for a show so awash in silliness and surreality.

Nightsward
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:11 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I think realistic is a good way to put it. Even a bit ironic for a show so awash in silliness and surreality.

Second half of the final Bojack season was phenomenal.

I was a little skeptical that this season's penultimate episode could top any of the previous ones, which were already getting better and better with each new season...and wow, they fucking blew it out of the park with this one. The number of allegories/metaphors and little callbacks to previous episodes (without feeling at all forced) crammed into those 26 minutes is absolutely staggering. And there's that poem, too - having struggled with my own share of personal demons for some years, that thing was positively gut-wrenching to hear. The mounting terror in Secretariat's voice as he realizes his life is going to end, the way that door just keeps getting bigger and bigger behind him as he reads - just perfect.

And I found the ending to be pretty hopeful, actually. That hunger for the spotlight was always going to do Bojack in one way or another, and I think that as long as he kept his celebrity status/house/money, he would always keep chasing after more validation, wrecking peoples' lives in the process. He may have lost everything, but he gets a truly fresh start to life in return, where he can hopefully internalize the lessons he's learned and live a better life. Plus, from the looks of things Mr. Peanutbutter seems more than happy to stay in Bojack's life, so he has one friend, at least.

The one flaw I can think of is that certain characters' plotlines felt a bit rushed (thinking mainly of Mr. Peanutbutter and how quickly he came to terms with his breakup); makes me wish Netflix had let the writers have just one more season to fully flesh those out. But what we got was more than satisfactory so I'm hardly complaining.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:54 pm 

^

Yeah I can see that - he seemed happy and at ease for sure. But it was also just such a sad-sack thing that he ended up there when he'd been fine in the first half of the season at Wesleyan and all that. It was just a tragedy by way of his sins catching up to him. The fact that he survived and seemed to be moving on doesn't mean there won't be more rocks in the road in the future - but it's just a testament to the fact that we all gotta keep on living and all that. He's better now than he was, but reaped what he sowed, was all I meant.

And yeah a few of the plot threads they seemed to have rushed to make up for the cancellation, but it was very smooth and nothing felt truly unfinished. It's a testament to the quality that the biggest complaint here is just "we wanted more."

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:01 pm 

I also felt like the Mr. Peanutbutter thing was slightly rushed, but the last episode showed that he had been okay with being by himself, and that showed growth in him.

The part in the conversation between Bojack and Diane where Bojack said "imagine if this is the last conversation we ever had" and then the realisation hit that yes, that might be the last time they would ever talk. I felt a bit sad at that line, knowing that this was the end. Everyone had separated and moved on with their lives. I felt it to be a really good way to end the show.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Timeghoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:41 pm 

The new season of Bojack came out and I missed it. Damn it. Guess I know what I will be doing this weekend.

Quote:

Timeghoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:40 am 

Was Diane engaged, or married?

Quote:

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:53 am 

Picard episode 4:

Oh yay, exotified Romulans and Picard playing white savior! He even dressed the part! F bombs and sword fights with decapitations!

This doesn't feel like Star Trek at all. I hate it.

WilliG
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:56 pm 

Started watching Suburra:Blood on Rome. Only watched 3 episodes so far, but really enjoying it.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:03 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Picard episode 4:

First episode I can say something positive about. Coincidentally first episode with singular Chabon writing credit and Jonathan Frakes directing and no Secret Hideout goon in the creative credits at all. Picard calling out Romulan dude for the senseless killing was a nice refresher after two seasons of STD where audiences were supposed to cheer for killing (as in S02E01 science officer dude who dared to act smarter than Michael Burnham or S02E14 yum yum Leland.) I really liked that part, him going "hey this is not cool at all, some random dude doesn't deserve to be slaughtered for no reason" as if he's talking to Alex Kurtzman himself.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:11 am 

Did anyone view NCIS Los Angeles tonight? If so could you explain this episode to me? Did they catch the murderer from the beginning of the program? It wasn't clear to me.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:52 am 

Locke & Key is one of the better Netflix originals and a much better adaptation than I thought they'd do. The only things I've disliked about it have been the casting of Dodge (she reads more conniving and less vampy in the comics) and a few of the deviations from the original story. And the ghost effects for the Ghost Key. Those are fucking lame.

Overall, a great watch.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:09 pm 

Swamp Thing 2019 is probably the most DC thing I've ever seen. Like some evil scientist took a liquid form of Christian Bale's Batman voice, distilled it into pure concentrated DC and injected the whole thing in one dose.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161 ... 182  Next