Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:33 pm
Posts: 2460
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:28 am 
 

failsafeman wrote:
Man, the latest episode of Rick and Morty is one of the best ever. Empyreal, your case for season 3 being the best yet just got a whole lot stronger.


What it lacked in laugh-out-loud humor, it made up for with some impressively engaging storytelling.

Spoiler: show
Man, that poor disenchanted Morty cop.
_________________
Warm Fuzzy Cynical comics.
Warm Fuzzy Cynical Facebook page.

Top
 Profile  
Iron Wizard
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:21 pm
Posts: 135
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:39 pm 
 

I've been watching Star Trek: Voyager almost every night going to bed since July, it's definitely my favorite of the franchise. Some fuel for debate...
_________________
"The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams"

-Ronnie James Dio, Black Sabbath- Heaven and Hell

Top
 Profile  
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:33 pm
Posts: 2460
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:44 pm 
 

Iron Wizard wrote:
I've been watching Star Trek: Voyager almost every night going to bed since July, it's definitely my favorite of the franchise. Some fuel for debate...


It's not a debate when you're wrong from the start.


I'm curious, given how incredibly boring that series can be, what raises it so high above all the other Treks?
_________________
Warm Fuzzy Cynical comics.
Warm Fuzzy Cynical Facebook page.

Top
 Profile  
Metantoine
Big Beautiful Frenchman

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Posts: 11722
Location: In the Rectory
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:53 pm 
 

Iron Wizard wrote:
I've been watching Star Trek: Voyager almost every night going to bed since July, it's definitely my favorite of the franchise. Some fuel for debate...

Wow. I mean, I liked VOY but no way it's better than TNG or DS9. NO. WAY.
_________________
raspberrysoda wrote:
well... nazi = national socialist. since when is socialism right wing?

Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Halberd

Top
 Profile  
~Guest 226319
President Satan

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:41 am
Posts: 6572
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:47 am 
 

Even I'm not contrarian enough to say that Voyager is the best Star Trek series.

Top
 Profile  
rexxz
Where's your band?

Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:45 pm
Posts: 8919
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:49 am 
 

Well, he did say favorite and not best. I have plenty of favorite things that are not the best of things.
_________________
Hexenkraft - diabolical cyberpunk darksynth
Cosmic Atrophy - extradimensional death metal

Top
 Profile  
why
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:43 pm
Posts: 744
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:14 pm 
 

"Philip K Dick's Electric Dreams" episode 1 was on channel 4 yesterday. It was great. Hope the rest of the series holds up to this high standard. Definitely worthy of the PKD name.

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 4373
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:55 pm 
 

Iron Wizard wrote:
I've been watching Star Trek: Voyager almost every night going to bed since July, it's definitely my favorite of the franchise. Some fuel for debate...

I'm the same, but I think it's mostly because I grew up with ST:V.
_________________
\m/ xXdArKen uR dAyXx \m/

Top
 Profile  
Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:04 pm
Posts: 1328
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:18 am 
 

I just finished plowing through all 4 seasons of Bojack Horseman, and I'm really impressed. Despite the surface-level cynicism (And there's a lot of it), it can be beautifully earnest at times. The characters are basically all fucked up, but ultimately vulnerable people, and it makes the story both relatable and engaging.
_________________
Reviews from The Sepulchre! Latest: Satan's Hallow - S/T

Top
 Profile  
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 6:38 am
Posts: 357
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:02 am 
 

OK so;

Rick and Morty
Bojack Horseman
You're The Worst
Atlanta

The hype is suffocating, they better be good!

Top
 Profile  
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:33 pm
Posts: 2460
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:01 am 
 

darkeningday wrote:
Iron Wizard wrote:
I've been watching Star Trek: Voyager almost every night going to bed since July, it's definitely my favorite of the franchise. Some fuel for debate...

I'm the same, but I think it's mostly because I grew up with ST:V.


Nostalgia clouds objective analysis all the time. There are a lot of kids now who grew up with the N64 as their first major console, so they look back on it like it's one of the best things ever. For us old geezers who grew up with better Nintendo systems (NES, SNES), the N64 has some gems, but was mostly a doorstop.
_________________
Warm Fuzzy Cynical comics.
Warm Fuzzy Cynical Facebook page.

Top
 Profile  
Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:55 pm
Posts: 3857
Location: FML States of America
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:18 am 
 

Cracked open Burns/Novick's The Vietnam War. Very much watching the rest asap.
_________________
C/Fe

Top
 Profile  
CorpseFister
Veteran

Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:07 pm
Posts: 2613
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:39 am 
 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
I just finished plowing through all 4 seasons of Bojack Horseman, and I'm really impressed. Despite the surface-level cynicism (And there's a lot of it), it can be beautifully earnest at times. The characters are basically all fucked up, but ultimately vulnerable people, and it makes the story both relatable and engaging.

Season 4 has been really good so far. They've done quite well keeping the show moving forwards, and I've really liked the episodes the episodes where they've completely changed the format (the internal monologue episode, the one around his mom, the underwater episode from S3). Also, clown-dentists/dentist-clowns.

AND!!! Punisher should be out on Netflix soon. STOKED.

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 4373
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:37 am 
 

So is like nobody watching The Orville?!?

It's absolutely not great. But I love it dearly.
_________________
\m/ xXdArKen uR dAyXx \m/

Top
 Profile  
Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:04 pm
Posts: 1328
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:25 am 
 

Seth MacFarlane is a grade-A hack, and I refuse to watch anything he's attached to on principal.
_________________
Reviews from The Sepulchre! Latest: Satan's Hallow - S/T

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 4373
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:22 am 
 

Family Guy is dogshit. Ted 1 was somehow even worse. I thought Ted 2 and Million Ways were alright.

Orville is just TNG with a VFX makeover and a few cringey pop culture references. The most recent episode (directed by Brannon Braga) was every bit as good as Brannon Braga's legendary TNG episodes.
_________________
\m/ xXdArKen uR dAyXx \m/

Top
 Profile  
CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:02 pm
Posts: 439
Location: Walled Lake, MI
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:32 am 
 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
OK so;

Rick and Morty
Bojack Horseman
You're The Worst
Atlanta

The hype is suffocating, they better be good!


Nothing can live up to the hype for Rick and Morty. Including Rick and Morty.
_________________
GTog:
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Top
 Profile  
~Guest 226319
President Satan

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:41 am
Posts: 6572
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:15 am 
 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Seth MacFarlane is a grade-A hack, and I refuse to watch anything he's attached to on principal.

His work on Johnny Bravo and the first three seasons of Family Guy were pretty great: funny, irreverent, light-hearted. It was obvious he had a love of tv sitcoms and teasing their absurdities. After Family Guy was cancelled, however, the tone changed and all his future work would continue on that way. He stopped writing clever jokes and went for low hanging fruit consistently. The writing became meaner, the outlook bleaker. Now he's a soulless husk of a human being clinging to his human form for reasons unknowable to the living.

Top
 Profile  
Thiestru
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:18 am
Posts: 1937
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:40 pm 
 

Is anyone watching the new season of South Park? I am, and... I don't know. This show took a big turn for the worse with Season 19, and Season 20 was horrible, and so far Season 21 isn't quite the return to form I hoped for. The second episode was an improvement over the first one, though, so there's hope, but I wish they'd go back to a less slavishly topical and more insular style like in the old days.
_________________
Zodijackyl wrote:
Anything but undying, eternal praise for Awaken the Guardian is completely wrong and a disgrace to you, your band, family, and Facebook friends list.


If you're interested in hearing my music, it can be found here: http://thiestru.bandcamp.com. Wassail.

Top
 Profile  
Red_Death
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:51 pm
Posts: 621
Location: Croatia
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:41 pm 
 

darkeningday wrote:
So is like nobody watching The Orville?!?

It's absolutely not great. But I love it dearly.

Could be okay from descriptions but...I dunno. McFarlane version of TNG...doesn't seem so appealing when one's soul was stolen by one Naomi Nagata and the broader universe of The Expanse, beyond everything I could imagine being a kid fan of Trek and stuff like that.

I'm probably imagining things but there is just something *ooomph* and so on. Totally and unconditionally loved the show. It sparked my interest in similar stuff anew.

Still have to see what is to match it but it's kind of sad to expect the new Trek...not to match it.
_________________
And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all.

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 4373
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:08 am 
 

The woman who plays Naomi may actually be one of the hottest people in the world. She's also one HELL of a good actor, holy shit.

Orville isn't trying to be The Expanse or even DS9. It's trying to be TNG with a few extra jokes. And it mostly hits the mark, imho.
_________________
\m/ xXdArKen uR dAyXx \m/

Top
 Profile  
Erotetic
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:05 pm
Posts: 1367
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:31 am 
 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
We're not sure what to watch next, but I already feel that impending emptiness/sadness that you get when a great long-running series finally comes to a close.


There's always Stargate Atlantis, which was watchable. Stargate Universe, though, was pretty terrible and pointless.
_________________
В Ожидании Смерти

Top
 Profile  
Azmodes
Ultranaut

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:44 am
Posts: 9703
Location: Gradec, Austria
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:00 am 
 

Kinda excited about this. Reminds me of The Knick, which was fantastic and sadly got cancelled earlier this year.

darkeningday wrote:
So is like nobody watching The Orville?!?

It's absolutely not great. But I love it dearly.

I checked out the pilot yesterday, mainly out of (slightly morbid?) curiousity. Indeed absolutely not great. Buuuut it's... bordering on solid? Not as cringey and braindead as I expected it to be. I'm not sure if the whole thing works, though; i.e. you got actually semi-serious Star Trek homage sci-fi plotting and scenes and on the other hand it's OMG IT'S HIS EX relationship comedy. That contrast felt off at times. Furthermore, there was just too much of a checklist of common sci-fi tropes thing going on, especially with the token alien and robot characters. I mean, it's obvious what it's trying to be, but, like, could you be a bit less mechanical about it maybe? eh, I'll stay on it for now, the pilot did get a few genuine laughs out of me (even if some of these were mainly because of the fact that MacFarlane's normal voice reminds me of a million Family Guy cutaway gags every time).

EDIT: oh by the way, can't help but namedrop Other Spaces for some genuinely funny and original recent sci-fi comedy.
_________________
Da Däéfö schlåft nèd. || Last.fm | Discogs | Goodreads | BOINC

No cat food and a toe knife out the window?! I mean, what am I doin'? Puttin' on airs because I got company?

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 4373
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:16 am 
 

First episode of Orville is the worst because it has to set up each character, so the little plot there is is razor thin. The second and third episodes are much better, especially the third which is basically just a TNG episode with a new coat of paint. In fact, dayv (John_Sunlight), if you're reading this, go watch the third episode and tell me if that isn't the closest thing we've had to Star Trek since the genuine article.

You kinda have to take the show less as a sci-fi comedy and more as a light sci-fi drama. Basically, it's all of the holodeck episodes of Trek turned into a full TV series. I actually like the conventionality of it all because 1) it's been so long since we've had a decent conventional sci-fi series and 2) MacFarlene is very open about the fact it's a total ctrl+c ctrl+v of Star Trek, considering almost all of the producers, directors and writers are Trek alumni. Even some of the cast too (the chief medical officer was Sisko's longtime girlfriend Cassidy).
_________________
\m/ xXdArKen uR dAyXx \m/

Top
 Profile  
Azmodes
Ultranaut

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:44 am
Posts: 9703
Location: Gradec, Austria
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:37 am 
 

Yeah, pilots gonna pilot. As I said, I will continue watching and see how it goes.

darkeningday wrote:
You kinda have to take the show less as a sci-fi comedy and more as a light sci-fi drama.

Maybe, but the pilot kind of felt like it was trying to be both at the wrong times and the juxtaposition was jarring.

darkeningday wrote:
(the chief medical officer was Sisko's longtime girlfriend Cassidy).

I noticed that! woooo
_________________
Da Däéfö schlåft nèd. || Last.fm | Discogs | Goodreads | BOINC

No cat food and a toe knife out the window?! I mean, what am I doin'? Puttin' on airs because I got company?

Top
 Profile  
Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:55 pm
Posts: 3857
Location: FML States of America
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:12 pm 
 

Azmodes wrote:
Kinda excited about this. Reminds me of The Knick, which was fantastic and sadly got cancelled earlier this year.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention! That's going on the list for sure. I loved The Knick. I thought two seasons was enough, honestly. As much as it had going for it, I'd much rather it stop at a believable point than stumble forward on stretched ideas and fan enthusiasm alone.
_________________
C/Fe

Top
 Profile  
Metantoine
Big Beautiful Frenchman

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Posts: 11722
Location: In the Rectory
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:56 pm 
 

darkeningday wrote:
First episode of Orville is the worst because it has to set up each character, so the little plot there is is razor thin. The second and third episodes are much better, especially the third which is basically just a TNG episode with a new coat of paint. In fact, dayv (John_Sunlight), if you're reading this, go watch the third episode and tell me if that isn't the closest thing we've had to Star Trek since the genuine article.

You kinda have to take the show less as a sci-fi comedy and more as a light sci-fi drama. Basically, it's all of the holodeck episodes of Trek turned into a full TV series. I actually like the conventionality of it all because 1) it's been so long since we've had a decent conventional sci-fi series and 2) MacFarlene is very open about the fact it's a total ctrl+c ctrl+v of Star Trek, considering almost all of the producers, directors and writers are Trek alumni. Even some of the cast too (the chief medical officer was Sisko's longtime girlfriend Cassidy).

I've seen the 3 episodes so far so here are my thoughts:
-It seems like Seth tried to get a role in Discovery and he got denied so he decided to make his own Star Trek
-None of the characters are quite interesting, funny or intriguing.
-The humor falls flat 90% of the time
-The show doesn't seem to have a particular tone they want to aim at. It goes from juvenile poop jokes to ethical conflicts in a manner of instants.
-Even if I dislike it, I...kinda like it and I'll end up watching the whole season because I want more Trek. It's like pizza, even if it's bad, it's good.


I'm currently watching season 4 of Enterprise, it's possibly the best season of the show. It's better than Voyager too. Too bad it got canceled.

Other Spaces was indeed great. Good call, Az.
_________________
raspberrysoda wrote:
well... nazi = national socialist. since when is socialism right wing?

Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Halberd

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 4373
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:38 am 
 

Speaking of Discovery...

Pilot was good, Bryan Fuller's script was very much redolent of his earlier Trek scripts. Internet is going to hate the lead since she speaks in a slight "blackaccent" and don't need no man bossin' her 'round. I thought she was solid if maybe a little green around the gills. Michelle Yeoh was amazing, as expected. The show also looked expensive as FUCK, I can't believe how much money CBS is throwing at this thing, it makes The Expanse look like something on daytime TV.

Overall, 8.5/10 and by far the best Trek pilot, even if that says literally nothing.
_________________
\m/ xXdArKen uR dAyXx \m/

Top
 Profile  
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:06 pm
Posts: 4412
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:48 am 
 

You better not be getting my hopes up for nothing, DD!

edit: watching it now...god damn I did not expect it to be this good. Script is good, acting is very good, as you said the SFX and everything (uniforms, sets, etc) are top notch. I hope it stays strong in terms of script/story/characterization...the Klingons actually seem alien, even though I'm not crazy about the redesign.
_________________
and we are born
from the same womb
and hewn from
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 4373
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:36 am 
 

I told ya! :D

How'd you feel about the Borg redesign and uniform change in First Contact? They changed those in the TV series after the movies too. Same was true for the TNG klingons; they modeled them after the most recent movie klingons, not the original series klingons.

While there was an actual 'canon' reason for way they look the way they did, even if there wasn't it would simply it would hardly be out of the ordinary for Star Trek.
_________________
\m/ xXdArKen uR dAyXx \m/

Top
 Profile  
CorpseFister
Veteran

Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:07 pm
Posts: 2613
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:05 pm 
 

darkeningday wrote:
While there was an actual 'canon' reason for way they look the way they did, even if there wasn't it would simply it would hardly be out of the ordinary for Star Trek.

Which was a terrible idea. I'm personally looking forward to Discovery exploring why in 10 years time the federation would switch its interior star ship design to bright, primary colours with overblown lighting.

Anyway, I've heard good things about Discovery so far, I'm looking forward to checking it out!

Top
 Profile  
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:33 pm
Posts: 2460
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:11 pm 
 

On Family Guy, there was once a joke, as Chris was walking out of a theater, saying "how does Kevin Costner keep getting work?"

After much of the low-rated, embarrassing or insulting crap Seth McFarlane has put out in recent years, this is precisely what I'm wondering about him.

The sitcom Dads, which he served as Executive Producer, was universally reviled and canned in the first season.
His new show, The Orville, is getting savaged by critics and holds 20% at Rotten Tomatoes.
The Cleveland Show languished for years on recycled jokes from American Dad and/or Family Guy that were recycled from The Simpsons, before it was mercifully canceled.
He had a show on Starz called Blunt Talk that, while it received mixed reviews, was canned after two seasons.
He also produced yet another animated show called Bordertown that was also loathed by critics and dumped after one season.
Ted made a ton of money, but A Million Ways to Die in the West seems to have bombed on all accounts.

Family Guy is his huge success.
American Dad is an okay success (arguably the highlight of his creative output).
And producing Cosmos was a great thing.

But the guy has such a string of garbage following him around, I don't really understand why he keeps getting work. The odds consistently seem to be against him making something successful, and even more against quality output.
_________________
Warm Fuzzy Cynical comics.
Warm Fuzzy Cynical Facebook page.

Top
 Profile  
rexxz
Where's your band?

Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:45 pm
Posts: 8919
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:25 pm 
 

If the market wants it, people will buy it. He gets work because a huge amount of people enjoy what he does and producers recognize this.
_________________
Hexenkraft - diabolical cyberpunk darksynth
Cosmic Atrophy - extradimensional death metal

Top
 Profile  
Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:33 pm
Posts: 2460
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:15 pm 
 

rexxz wrote:
If the market wants it, people will buy it. He gets work because a huge amount of people enjoy what he does and producers recognize this.


On the surface that makes sense. The reality is that a huge bulk of his content doesn't appear to be profitable or worth supporting. He wouldn't have so many canceled or failed projects if those huge audiences were there.

I think this is more like why the Wachowskis keep getting work despite everything post-Matrix being mostly costly turds. Producers remember the success and hope lightning will strike twice.

At the same time, the odds seem consistently stacked against that.
_________________
Warm Fuzzy Cynical comics.
Warm Fuzzy Cynical Facebook page.

Top
 Profile  
Azmodes
Ultranaut

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:44 am
Posts: 9703
Location: Gradec, Austria
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:29 pm 
 

Gotta say, the first two Discovery episodes were very good. Awesome even. I went in cautiously optimistic and was positively surprised even so. Love the Klingons.

Spoiler: show
What's with the fucking life sentence for mutiny, though? :o I guess she's blamed for the war and that's why? hm
_________________
Da Däéfö schlåft nèd. || Last.fm | Discogs | Goodreads | BOINC

No cat food and a toe knife out the window?! I mean, what am I doin'? Puttin' on airs because I got company?

Top
 Profile  
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:45 am
Posts: 11773
Location: In the Arena
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:42 pm 
 

Yeah, Discovery was genuinely pretty darn good. It was a bit over-the-top in the drama department and a bit light on relatable character development, but that's pretty standard in pilots and was certainly true of the previous Trek pilots, so I'm not counting it too much against Discovery. The plot was interesting with a number of good twists and turns which all felt natural and made sense. I have high hopes for when it settles down and gets into serious character building and more even-handed drama.

Re: Azmodes

Spoiler: show
Naval punishments for things like dereliction of duty, mutiny, and assaulting a superior officer have always carried extremely heavy sentences. It would probably result in a life sentence today, too, given that she gave no defense.
_________________
MorbidBlood wrote:
So the winner is Destruction and Infernal Overkill is the motherfucking skullcrushing poserkilling satan-worshiping 666 FUCK YOU greatest german thrash record.

Top
 Profile  
Azmodes
Ultranaut

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:44 am
Posts: 9703
Location: Gradec, Austria
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:03 pm 
 

"Natural" is a good word for it. The whole package also felt like that, all the parts very well integrated into each other. Equal levels plot, world building, character stuff, action and eye candy, all working together.

Spoiler: show
huh, alright then. Still, I was expecting something less draconic from the Federation (okay, technically it's Starfleet).
_________________
Da Däéfö schlåft nèd. || Last.fm | Discogs | Goodreads | BOINC

No cat food and a toe knife out the window?! I mean, what am I doin'? Puttin' on airs because I got company?

Top
 Profile  
severzhavnost
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:16 pm
Posts: 2284
Location: Ottawa
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:08 pm 
 

CorpseFister wrote:
darkeningday wrote:
While there was an actual 'canon' reason for way they look the way they did, even if there wasn't it would simply it would hardly be out of the ordinary for Star Trek.

Which was a terrible idea. I'm personally looking forward to Discovery exploring why in 10 years time the federation would switch its interior star ship design to bright, primary colours with overblown lighting.


The way the Klingons' appearance was explained in the Enterprise series, I really like how Discovery has encountered some ridged Klingons as well as the "deformed" one. It makes sense. Dr Phlox explained that the illness only affected a portion of the population, and that it would remain in the Klingon genome for some time, so it's all good!

Also really happy with the few quiet scenes walking around the ship, where we can hear the Kirk-era's little bloop sounds :) CorpseFister, maybe the Federation made their ships look crappier in 10 years time, because the war cut into the coffers more than expected?
_________________
Apteronotus wrote:
Mütiilation. There should be a missing I, not an extra one. Really a missed wordplay opportunity.

Top
 Profile  
rexxz
Where's your band?

Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:45 pm
Posts: 8919
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:14 pm 
 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
rexxz wrote:
If the market wants it, people will buy it. He gets work because a huge amount of people enjoy what he does and producers recognize this.


On the surface that makes sense. The reality is that a huge bulk of his content doesn't appear to be profitable or worth supporting. He wouldn't have so many canceled or failed projects if those huge audiences were there.

I think this is more like why the Wachowskis keep getting work despite everything post-Matrix being mostly costly turds. Producers remember the success and hope lightning will strike twice.

At the same time, the odds seem consistently stacked against that.



I'm sure your level of insight would be very useful to studio execs (consistently) paying millions for his projects, you seem to know what you're talking about and could probably save them a lot of money.
_________________
Hexenkraft - diabolical cyberpunk darksynth
Cosmic Atrophy - extradimensional death metal

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 4373
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:37 pm 
 

Ted 1 made 10x its budget back and is still the most successful comedy of all time. None of his films was a box office bomb. Family Guy is entering its 16th season this year, second only to The Simpsons for FOX.

This ain't rocket science, Rezzy.
_________________
\m/ xXdArKen uR dAyXx \m/

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132 ... 143  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: henkkjelle and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group