Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Face_your_fear_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:13 pm 

A great injustice has been done. The Twilight Zone legacy has taken a big blow over the past few months. I thought the 2002 series was below-average but what is going on now blows that away.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:45 pm 

Well good thing Jordan Peele saved it, because the CBS All Access version has been really good, especially the remake of Terror at xxxx feet.

Face_your_fear_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:57 pm 

Spoiler: show
Is that the episode were one of the good guys actually turns out to be the bad guy?

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:47 am 

Watching Agents of SHIELD (currently in season 3) makes me wonder about the lost potential of Firefly even more, because Agents of SHIELD took a lot more than the 14 episodes Firefly had to fully get going.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:09 am 

Face_your_fear_79 wrote:
Is that the episode were one of the good guys actually turns out to be the bad guy?

No. It's the episode with the early 2000's MP3 player on the plane, which is the second (possibly third?) remake of the classic episode with William Shatner.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:38 pm 

I'm enjoying Colony. Some of the acting/writing has been spotty so far, but overall it's interesting and fun.

They really overdid the exposition early on though, lol. Like the woman explaining that you can't get insulin anymore, super transparent uses of exposition like that. But I'm nitpicking, it's not a huge deal and it seemed to mostly be for setting things up.

I wish she'd just fucking tell him already though, kind of silly and almost seems like that trope where people don't talk to preserve drama/tension. TELL HIM.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:35 pm 

Yeah, it's an incredibly slow burn for the first season. It's honestly kinda surprising it lasted a whole 3 seasons, doesn't really seem like this kinda thing would be that popular. What's weird is that it finally turns into a full-fledged sci-fi series in season 3, and that was its last!

EDIT: I'll also add that it's the kind of show you'll think about a lot after you finish it, but not so much during. If that even makes sense. It's a much better examination of power than it is a kickass weekly TV show. Although the action scenes in season 2 are pretty kickass, there's a 10-minute action scene filmed entirely in one take near the end. Pretty ballsy stuff.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:00 am 

Just when we thought quality television was dead:

Youtube: show

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:57 am 

Chernobyl - This is depressing, I pitied even the likes of Marie Curie, who unknowingly martyred herself for science. The career politician nincompoops were quite something. Not that I care for politics, but it has a way to weave into the core of existence. Horrific times for the unfortunate direct-contact individuals.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:58 am 

Finished Colony (I've had a lot of time on my hands). It was good! I cared about the characters, and the scifi elements were fairly interesting. Decent enough acting and writing. Sad it got canceled.

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:31 pm 

So, what are everyone's thoughts on the new Stranger Things season?

Something that bugs me,
I didn't understand the "we need to close the gate to kill the baby mindflayer" bit at all. The gate was shut in season 2, the "budding" mindflayer fragment exorcised from Will stayed on our side for years, but didn't grow until the Russians started to open the gate just a teeny little bit? And then instantly died when they shut the gate, even though it survived the gate being shut last time?

I mean, I don't think the mystery elements in this show are meant to be super logical or fully consistent but the climax for this season really didn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Also, on the very first scene in the season,
so an entire company of Russian soldiers opened a portal and sneaked into Hawkins? Is this capability the reason DOE was doing these experiments to begin with?

FloristOfVampyrism wrote:
That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:02 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
So, what are everyone's thoughts on the new Stranger Things season?

Something that bugs me,
I didn't understand the "we need to close the gate to kill the baby mindflayer" bit at all. The gate was shut in season 2, the "budding" mindflayer fragment exorcised from Will stayed on our side for years, but didn't grow until the Russians started to open the gate just a teeny little bit? And then instantly died when they shut the gate, even though it survived the gate being shut last time?

I mean, I don't think the mystery elements in this show are meant to be super logical or fully consistent but the climax for this season really didn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Great season. Probably the best so far.

Well we don't know if the Mindflayer fragment was destroyed. I think the flesh monster he made out matter from our world was just a vehicle for the Mindflayer, and he lost the power to control/create it when they shut down the gate. For all we know the fragment is still out there, just as dormant at it was before the Russians opened the gate.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:39 am 

Stranger Things goes 1, 3, 2 for me. 3 has a major tonal shift that works on a meta level (third entries in horror franchises always add more laughs) but it also gave us the best monster and finale of the series so far. 2 works better without the garbage X-Men subplot, rewatched it leading to S3 and enjoyed it that much more without that ONE LOUSY FUCKING EPISODE.

1, though, is still nigh on perfect. It feels like a long film divided into 8 parts, all building to a final chapter that finds each story arc intersecting.

As for the spoiler'd bit...
The bits of the Mind Flayer left in our world were dormant without an open connection to the main source. Once the Russians opened the gate it was able to reconnect, not too dissimilar from wifi.

Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:02 am 

I watched the first episode of The Get Down on Netflix last night and booooooooooyyyyy am I smitten. It's a highly stylized and somewhat romanticized and a tad bit kung-fu'd version of the creation of hip hop. The crossover from disco tunes to legends like Kool Herc, Bambataa, and Grandmaster Flash isolating the break beats. All told through a coming-of-age deal with some teenagers who want to be singers, DJs, MCs, etc.

Fuck I can't wait to watch more of it.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:35 am 

Agents of SHIELD is like 100 times better than I expected.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:36 pm 

Hey darkening_day, I tried Slasher S3. Got 3 episodes in and wanted everybody dead. I see the Purge comparisons but also see why that failed as a TV series.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:41 pm 

All the Stranger Things seasons have just been fun for me. Great characters and some good humor. The actually eerie, spooky shit is icing on the cake. Season 3 was the goriest and most over the top yet and that was fun, though

The same plot about the Mind Flayer over and over is slightly disappointing - they tried a few minor little twists here, but I would've preferred some entirely new story altogether.

And Hopper dying, well, we know that won't last. Though I'll say even despite the cliche predictability of that and what's gonna happen next, I was pretty sad when they were reading his letter at the very end anyway. Props to them for making even the most stale cliche enjoyable.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:20 pm 

I liked Stranger Thing 3 for the most part, though it needs to be taken with a grain of salt, mainly because

So the Soviets built a vast underground high tech complex right under Hawkins, and nobody noticed? And they did this in a matter of months?

Still, good fun story.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:35 pm 

I'll watch S3, of course, but S2 was a major step down for me. The announcement of S2 was already enough of a shock - there was really no reason to continue the story further apart from money. S1 is a totally perfect self-contained capsule of a thing, while S2 continues on and saps a bit of the magic in the process. My highest hopes for S3 are about the same.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:57 pm 

I recommend rewatching S2 and skipping episode 7. It killed the entire flow of the season and what little it did accomplish could have been done other ways. I enjoyed S2 that much more without it.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:30 am 

droneriot wrote:
Agents of SHIELD is like 100 times better than I expected.

Have you just started watching the show? It tends to get even better as it goes on IMO.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:08 am 

I just finished season 5 yesterday. I didn't really care about watching MCU TV shows, but when I saw that season 4 had the Ghost Rider (and Nicholas Cage aside, I love the Ghost Rider) I decided to just go ahead and watch the whole show and I was really surprised how good and how addictive it is, I watched all five seasons in little over a week.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:29 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Hey darkening_day, I tried Slasher S3. Got 3 episodes in and wanted everybody dead. I see the Purge comparisons but also see why that failed as a TV series.

Shouldn't you enjoy it then, because almost everybody not only gets killed but gets killed in the most gruesome fashion possible?

Always wanted to check out The Purge tv show, but was a bit salty about it because they cancelled Colony to make room for it. Speaking of,

Nahsil wrote:
Finished Colony (I've had a lot of time on my hands). It was good! I cared about the characters, and the scifi elements were fairly interesting. Decent enough acting and writing. Sad it got canceled.

Yay! Yeah it's slim pickings in the "big-budget modern sci-fi TV series" department, so just marginally good TV makes for great sci-fi TV. Adding Wayne Brady to the cast seemed mental but I thought he and his character worked surprisingly well (he's a big sci-fi fan, even did a guest role on Stargate for no pay iirc). I also wasn't that bothered by the cliffhanger, as wrapping everything up in a neat little bow really wouldn't have fit with the spirit of the show. Most everything got explained or at least hinted at by the third season anyway.

I'm trying to watch The 100 but man, this first season is really rough.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:38 am 

Yeah, for The 100 the first time around I didn't make it past the first few episodes. I don't know how they screwed the beginning up so badly with the absolute stock stereotypical teen characters and stuff, dunno what they were thinking. It does get a lot better though, becomes a completely different show.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:04 am 

I finally caved in to peer pressure and watched Stranger Things, season 1. what pointless parp. none of the heart-tugging magic of the films they're ripping off, just OTT acting with everyone screaming at each other or raising their eyebrows to move stuff with telekinesis, and a "really?" plot. waste of time. I'm not trolling. would gladly kick that kid with the ingrown teeth.

also watched BBC's The Game from 2014 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3159736/, and it's pretty good. I saw all the twists save one coming from the first episode, but it was still entertaining...

the ending's a bit OTT in the sense that the baddies' plan would make conspiracy theorists chuckle at its implausibility, but well made.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:32 am 

Disagree entirely on Stranger Things. It perfectly nailed the feeling of every movie and trope it was homaging.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:38 am 

Yeah if anything Stranger Things is a success based on how well it executes that heart-tugging factor. It's got plenty of small problems throughout the seasons, mostly cliche plots and playing it safe, but those actors really sell it and the writing makes fans really dig those characters like you would've back in the classic films. They did exactly what they wanted to with that show. But "heart tugging" isn't a quantifiable thing, so tastes will vary I guess. I don't think it would be a very good show if they hadn't succeeded so well with the actors and character stuff.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:35 pm 

Finished Stranger Things S3. Overall I'd say the quality jumped back up nearly to season 1, or maybe just about the same, but the novelty has worn off which makes it somewhat less exciting. Big improvement over S2 though, and for the first time at the end of a Stranger Things season I'm actually looking forward to what comes next.

Totally loved the Neverending Story sing-along. Pure nostalgia candy shit right there, but it was so good so fuck it.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:04 pm 

It's here:

Youtube: show

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:22 pm 

I really hope it ends up being more than just fanservice. I'm not hopeful that it's going to be any good, but having grown up with TNG, I have to give it a shot.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:48 pm 

To explore strange new worlds... but with familiar characters :) Really though, the trailer was cool, and I could get used to a weird amalgam of the series’ and recent movies’ timelines.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:23 am 

I'm just wooting all over the place because Seven meeting Picard is the stuff of all fanboy wet dreams, I literally cannot think of a cooler pairing than that.

So quick guess for the plot based on the trailer: Picard, Seven and a Non-Starfleet crew are on a quest to commandeer a derelict Borg Cube to Save The Galaxy?

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:29 pm 

I hope I hope it's a decent Borg related plot. The TNG Borg episodes were some of the best Trek ever done. I loathed Voyager, so I'm eh about Seven.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:48 pm 

I'm remaining cautiously optimistic, although the whole "They're the Chosen One! (TM)" bit has me more on the cautious side.

NEW Valcove album Forge @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge. For fans of Aphex Twin, Autechre, ambient techno

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:57 pm 

the trailer doesn't inspire me with hope apart from Picard doing Picard things, seems pretty similar to DIS in aesthetic and plot actually. I'm open-minded though.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:07 pm 

My main concern with Picard is just the shots of him kind of slowly walking around. I hope they realize the limitations of having such an old dude star in a show, and don't a) try to shoehorn him into action scenes somehow or b) leave him to walk around and sit around doing dull stuff while explosions are happening everywhere else. Give me a measured approach where old man Picard really shines and I'll be really happy.

Definitely hyped about the Seven-meets-Picard thing, though in that clip it seemed obvious to me that they're doing the thing where Seven's older and has clearly adapted better to human culture and acts more natural and less...Borgy. Hopefully that's handled well and isn't too jarring, but Jeri Ryan's a talented actress so maybe she can make it work.

Cautiously optimistic is also a good way to describe how I feel about it.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:11 am 

Nahsil wrote:
the trailer doesn't inspire me with hope apart from Picard doing Picard things, seems pretty similar to DIS in aesthetic and plot actually. I'm open-minded though.

If Picard is like Discovery, I will probably not enjoy it, and I got those same vibes. It's got that damn lighting style that, since the first Abrams shitshow, has suddenly become an annoying modern Trek norm. I'm cautiously optimistic that it will be better than Discovery, but also that it will once again not feel like Star Trek, where thoughtful storytelling is replaced by non-stop and frequently brainless action.

I like Jeri Ryan--she added a lot to Voyager's cast of flat nobody characters and dry Treknobabble-heavy storytelling. She's truly talented. And I love Data and always he figured he could return (transferring his consciousness into B-4), but he looks a little puffy, no doubt due to the efforts to make Brent Spiner look ageless. Love the Borg.

I just can't get past how Discovery is an unfocused, haphazard, flash-and-pizzazz show frequently lacking logic and substance suffering from pretty much every issue you get with slap-dash unnecessary prequel stories.

At least with Picard I have the hope that the franchise is finally moving forward again. Cautiously optimistic.

But I am sick of this shit being locked behind CBS's cruel paywall. I'm not subscribing to any more streaming services. Put it on Hulu or Amazon and shut the fuck up already. Otherwise you're just encouraging me to pirate it.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:53 am 

I'm enjoying Stranger Things S3 so far, but [4 episodes in]:
evil Russians? really? :lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:25 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
But I am sick of this shit being locked behind CBS's cruel paywall. I'm not subscribing to any more streaming services. Put it on Hulu or Amazon and shut the fuck up already. Otherwise you're just encouraging me to pirate it.

Yeah, that pretty much blows. Everybody is looking for an anchor show to justify their unnecessary streaming service...

...though I am going to have to try out Disney+ when The Mandalorian comes out.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:31 pm 

GTog wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

Yeah, that pretty much blows. Everybody is looking for an anchor show to justify their unnecessary streaming service...

...though I am going to have to try out Disney+ when The Mandalorian comes out.

I will pirate that one also.

Yes, I know it's not IG-88, but damn, I love that robot.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155  Next