Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:22 pm 

Saw the first two episodes. The first one left me really cold, but the second one was pretty cool. And boy that song sure is catchy... :lol:

Sounds like a power metal ballad haha

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:57 pm 

Seen the first 4 episodes of The Witcher. I've liked it a lot so far, the combat is one of the best (if not the best) swordfighting I've seen in any series or movies.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:11 pm 

I could see digging a Visigoth cover of that song. And yeah the swordplay has been excellent.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:13 pm 

Couldn't get into Witcher. Never got into the games either.

The Mandalorian introduced the Darksaber into things. I don't remember enough of its backstory to know why that's significant yet, but at lest I knew what it was. That's going to make season 2 interesting indeed.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:49 pm 

3 episodes into The Witcher and it's very okay. At least it's better than The Witcher 3 lol.

I find the complaints about it looking cheap and crappy to be bewildering. It's no Thrones but it's probably the second best-looking fantasy show out there? People who whine about its production values should watch Legend of the Seeker lol.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:32 pm 

People complain about its production values? That's nutty. It's pulpy and schlocky (and fun!) but it's definitely well made.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:10 pm 

Watched the first 8 episodes of Bojack Horseman, now awaiting the final (possibly 4) episodes on January 31. I want to see how it ends even though I don't want it to end. Amazing show.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:31 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Watched the first 8 episodes of Bojack Horseman, now awaiting the final (possibly 4) episodes on January 31. I want to see how it ends even though I don't want it to end. Amazing show.

It's another 8 episodes--the final season's gonna be 16 episodes total. I am hyped as fuck for it.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:51 pm 

GTog wrote:
The Mandalorian introduced the Darksaber into things. I don't remember enough of its backstory to know why that's significant yet, but at lest I knew what it was. That's going to make season 2 interesting indeed.

I remember it was like a Mandalorian Excalibur that would unite all Mandalorian people, and that it's an immensely powerful weapon.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:16 pm 

Well that would be cool. Apparently it figured into Clone Wars and Rebels somehow, but I never watched either animated series. It’s unique, the only lightsaber like that, and once belonged to a Mandalorian who was also a Jedi.

Side note - I originally mistyped that as “jefi” and it got auto corrected to Jedi. I like Apple a little bit more now.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:57 pm 

I dunno about Clone Wars, I didn't watch it till the end, I think I saw the first four seasons and there was no Darksaber (I think.) I watched all of Rebels though, that's where the part I posted about remembering is from.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:55 am 

I watched the first episode of Legion, and I guess I'll watch a bit more. I just fear that because the main guy imagines some stuff that'll be the source of 99% of all plot twists.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:50 am 

Anyone watched Treadstone? Like most dudes around my age, I grew up with the Bourne films and they're still some of the better mainstream action movies out there. Really interested to hear what people's thoughts on the TV show are.

Methuen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:47 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Saw the first two episodes. The first one left me really cold, but the second one was pretty cool. And boy that song sure is catchy... :lol:

One of my friends complained that the song was too 'poppy' and not 'folky' enough. Having finally watched the episode, it's absolutely a Stratovarius / Helloween / someone-Kai Hansen-ripped-off type number.

darkeningday wrote:
I find the complaints about it looking cheap and crappy to be bewildering. It's no Thrones but it's probably the second best-looking fantasy show out there? People who whine about its production values should watch Legend of the Seeker lol.

It's definitely jarring to meet terrible CGI in something filmed on location like this - the horned thing hanging around with the elves in episode 2, for example; SyFy-shark-movie bad that was. The battle in episode 1 was GoT poor, too - all of the CGI horsemen go RARGH and run together.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:09 pm 

My son and I have been watching King of the Hill and Star Trek: Enterprise, but then added Malcolm in the Middle to the mix. I forget just how good King of the Hill and Malcolm in the Middle really are. Fantastic characters, inventive and fun writing, etc. They're just fantastic shows overall.

I am also finally going through Ash vs Evil Dead. I have owned the entire series on Blu-Ray for a while, and am only now getting through it all.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:02 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
I am also finally going through Ash vs Evil Dead. I have owned the entire series on Blu-Ray for a while, and am only now getting through it all.

I love Ash vs Evil Dead, another great example of how to revive a classic franchise and play up nostalgia while also doing something fresh and engaging. Definitely feels more like Evil Dead 2 than Army of Darkness, which is always a good thing in my book. A few minor plot nitpicks that I can't give away without spoilers, but overall it's a great series.
In the end- in life- aren't we all sort of wearing corpse-paint in front of a crowd of strangers? Or is that the most pathetic metal-themed analogy ever uttered? I cannot tell, but I feel a bit ashamed now.

NEW Valcove album: https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge

Timeghoul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:55 pm 

Quick Bojack Horseman spoiler ahead

Spoiler: show
I actually found myself getting choked up when Sarah Lynn died

What a great show. I've actually watched through some of the seasons a few times.

severzhavnost
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:12 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
My son and I have been watching King of the Hill and Star Trek: Enterprise, but then added Malcolm in the Middle to the mix. I forget just how good King of the Hill and Malcolm in the Middle really are. Fantastic characters, inventive and fun writing, etc. They're just fantastic shows overall.

Haven’t watched Ash v Evil Dead. But the other three shows were all top notch. I had all but forgotten about Malcolm, loved it when it was on. King of the Hill and Enterprise were my favourite shows in the mid-00s.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:21 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

I love Ash vs Evil Dead, another great example of how to revive a classic franchise and play up nostalgia while also doing something fresh and engaging. Definitely feels more like Evil Dead 2 than Army of Darkness, which is always a good thing in my book. A few minor plot nitpicks that I can't give away without spoilers, but overall it's a great series.

I'm surprised how great the show is, how much the cast is willing to jump headfirst into the lunacy and constant splatter--and by the sheer amount of splatter, gore, violence, and nudity. I watched the first season previously, but it's been a while between that and me trying to navigate the rest of the series. So now I'm getting it done. Revisiting franchises with this much time between their glory days and the revival is always super risky. So that they've been able to recapture the spirit, feel, fun, and attitude so well is goddamn remarkable.

severzhavnost wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

Haven’t watched Ash v Evil Dead. But the other three shows were all top notch. I had all but forgotten about Malcolm, loved it when it was on. King of the Hill and Enterprise were my favourite shows in the mid-00s.

Malcolm in the Middle and King of the Hill have some of the most consistent and strong writing of any "sitcom" I can think of. And King of the Hill maintained it for an absurd length of time, given that The Simpsons has been in decline for 20 years. Malcolm in the Middle managed to give us great character development and stories with only a few lines of dialog and short shots in their episodes, while frequently juggling 3-4 narratives at once that may or may not be intertwined.

We'd get, for instance, maybe a full minute and a half of a Dewey side-story spread across an episode in 20 second increments that still managed to be funny, engaging, and add to the character. I also love that they ditched the traditional 3-camera, obvious set sitcom structure and laugh track. The show was allowed more time for writing, action, and humor, and the episodes simply felt more grounded, even when they got silly.

I think Enterprise was really picking up in seasons 3 and 4, so when it was cancelled with 4 (and that damn final episode was little more than a lazy TNG story), it stopped right when it was finding it's footing.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:42 am 

Season 5 could have been great. I'm one of the people who loved the show from the start, so the one thing that annoyed me about season 4 was that they basically did a soft reboot and deleted everything unique to Enterprise in favour of pure Star Trek prequel stuff. Now the Star Trek prequel stuff was great and I love season 4, I just didn't like them cutting off every storyline that the people who were actually fans of the show spent three years getting into. That's why I say season 5 could have been great, because there they could have introduced a healthy mix between the do. Continue doing the Star Trek prequel stuff, but also bring back the Kreetassans (sp?), show what happened to the Suliban and Tendarans, give a proper conclusion to the Temporal Cold War, show Future Guy, show more Denobulans and their home world, etc.

Face_your_fear_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:02 pm 

Paranormal: Caught on camera. I seriously can't understand why the producers would go out of their way to embarrass themselves with this utter nonsense unless the program is intended as a parody. I watched one set of ostensible bigfoot films where the "creature" was so obviously human, it hurt. The teenage witnesses (which already raises a red flag) imputed a tremendous height to the creature, but there were no measurable points of reference. It also exhibited a 100% human gait and, moreover, walked TOWARD the people--something no animal would EVER do. In a subsequent film, an ostensible creature crawled along the underside of a Ukrainian bridge. The difference in contrast from the remainder of the image and the subtle misalignments made it crystal-clear that two streams were photoshopped together.

What is this intended to accomplish? The producers succeeded only in coming across as abject liars and utter fools.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:34 pm 

Legion turned out to be pretty good. Since then also watched the first seasons of The Punisher which was also pretty good and Luke Cage which is great so far.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:34 pm 

Jon Bernthal knocks it out of the park as the Punisher, right? His performance will end up defining the character, like Hugh Jackman's Wolverine of Heath Ledger's Joker. Depends on Disney now I suppose.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:46 pm 

I don't see how Feige could hire anybody else if the Punisher were to appear in a movie. Same with Vincent D'Onofrio and Kingpin.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:20 am 

Now watching:

Netflix Presents: 20 Ways to Make People Not Care About Characters

aka Iron Fist season 1.

Timeghoul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:48 am 

droneriot wrote:
Legion turned out to be pretty good. Since then also watched the first seasons of The Punisher which was also pretty good and Luke Cage which is great so far.
I really like the Punisher series on Netflix. Its a shame they cancelled the show.

Sedition and Pockets
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:54 am 

I've been watching Pose, and while it probably isn't as right up the alley for most of you as it is for me as a trans woman, I think it is a wonderful show that anyone could appreciate. Anyone else watched this?

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:59 am 

Thankfully Jessica Jones, the last item on my Marvel Netflix list, is fun again and makes up for my miserable Iron Fist experience.

Sedition and Pockets
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:00 am 

droneriot wrote:
Thankfully Jessica Jones, the last item on my Marvel Netflix list, is fun again and makes up for my miserable Iron Fist experience.

Christ Iron Fist is still a running gag in my household. What a shit show.

Sedition and Pockets
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:03 am 

Morrigan wrote:

It's such wondrous beefcake trash, though it should probably be called Everybody Wants to Fuck the Witcher. Glorious, outstanding trash.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:10 am 

I watched Iron Fist right after Luke Cage, what a downer. Didn't give a shit about any of characters or anything they do, only thing in any way positive about it were a few minute of Carrie-Ann Moss being Carrie-Ann Moss. I mean I already knew I wouldn't like the story because the same story already sucked in Daredevil season 2, and they basically took that and replaced all the good characters with bad ones and had lots of scenes re-enacting The Osborns from the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies, with dark penthouse and all and then lots of ridiculous ninja shit and lots of shit nobody cares about and lots of just general dumb shit. I guess on the plus side it doesn't suck as badly as ABC's Inhumans, but then again that's a level of its own that's near-impossible to reach.

Sedition and Pockets
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:14 am 

droneriot wrote:
I watched Iron Fist right after Luke Cage, what a downer. Didn't give a shit about any of characters or anything they do, only thing in any way positive about it were a few minute of Carrie-Ann Moss being Carrie-Ann Moss. I mean I already knew I wouldn't like the story because the same story already sucked in Daredevil season 2, and they basically took that and replaced all the good characters with bad ones and had lots of scenes re-enacting The Osborns from the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies, with dark penthouse and all and then lots of ridiculous ninja shit and lots of shit nobody cares about and lots of just general dumb shit. I guess on the plus side it doesn't suck as badly as ABC's Inhumans, but then again that's a level of its own that's near-impossible to reach.

Obviously, you didn't focus your chi hard enough. :lol:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:15 pm 

Less than a day till Picard returns. Everything's looking pretty damn good so far.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:10 am 

Star Trek Picard, here we go. I have a bad feeling about this.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:22 am 

Thanks for the reminder, I'll ignore this thread until I pay off the collection agency and get the throttle on my internet removes because I want my Logan in Space without spoilers.

Timeghoul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:09 am 

I had high hopes for Avenue 5. I think Hugh Laurie is a brilliant actor. It seemed like a promising premise. A space ship filled with tourists, traveling around space for a few weeks. What a shit show. I was so disappointed.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:25 am 

I have a lot of thoughts on this first episode. The TLDR is that while it's not as bad overall as I feared, there are definitely aspects that I don't like. A loose collection of thoughts:

Spoiler: show
The very first sequence with Data was very effective and nostalgic (But tasteful). That was the best sequence in the episode.

I wish they had gone straight from the first dream sequence into the interview. That would have been a much less jarring way of saying "That's the past. Things are different now." Instead we go from TNG nostalgia straight into a scene out of Action Trek.

Based on the preview of next week's episode, they're gonna go hard on the nostalgia pandering going forward.

The moments of languid, classic-Trek pacing do not fit well with the jumps into Nu-Trek pacing.

I'm absolutely certain that this Borg Cube subplot is gonna be fucking dumb.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:18 am 

droneriot wrote:
Season 5 could have been great. I'm one of the people who loved the show from the start, so the one thing that annoyed me about season 4 was that they basically did a soft reboot and deleted everything unique to Enterprise in favour of pure Star Trek prequel stuff. Now the Star Trek prequel stuff was great and I love season 4, I just didn't like them cutting off every storyline that the people who were actually fans of the show spent three years getting into. That's why I say season 5 could have been great, because there they could have introduced a healthy mix between the do. Continue doing the Star Trek prequel stuff, but also bring back the Kreetassans (sp?), show what happened to the Suliban and Tendarans, give a proper conclusion to the Temporal Cold War, show Future Guy, show more Denobulans and their home world, etc.

I think my favorite thing about Enterprise, aside from Jeffrey Combs appearing several times as Shran, was that it patched up a lot of Star Trek history quite nicely. Why did so many Klingons look human? Now we have an answer. What happened to the rest of the Borg from First Contact? Now we know. Things like this made it great. I wasn't a big fan of the temporal cold war or the Suliban myself. I also enjoyed that the series was not grossly anachronistic for the rest of the franchise.

Exactly the opposite of Discovery, which doesn't even feel like it fits in with the rest of the franchise, blatantly rewrites or upends existing canon, and instead of filling old plot holes, punches in glaringly huge new holes.

----------

Last watched:

I watched a series on Amazon Prime: America's War on Drugs (not the History Channel one, which probably has something to do with aliens or ghosts or some shit). This is a chronological series starting in the 70's when Nixon began the "war on drugs" and following through now. It highlights the rise and popularity of certain drugs (cocaine in the 70's and 80's, to meth now), the economic and societal impact, the primary players in these industries, the fallout, and the heavy costs--in money, life, expenses, loss, incarceration, etc. Really informative, and the numbers it delivers are harrowing at best. Interviews with several people involved on both sides, dealers and law enforcement. It also does not shy away from political corruption on the American side, such as the Iran-Contra scandal.

Then I watched a Netflix series, Don't Fuck with Cats (or Don't F**k with Cats). This series follows videos uploaded online of a narcissistic shitbag from Canada who wanted to be a serial killer/professional model. That uh, that's not a joke. So this asshole put up videos of him torturing and killing cats and some angry people on the internet spent months tracking him down and exposing him. Attempts to get authorities to care went nowhere until he really did kill an actual human. I had heard elements of this story once before, but this is the first time I saw the whole thing, beginning to end. This guy, Luka Magnotta, wanted any kind of attention and weaved a wildly elaborate web of lies online and in reality about his life that is essentially the most fucking absurd bullshitting I've heard not coming from the asshole in the White House. Fascinating documentary series, but the start was a little slow. Don't worry, they don't actually show the cats being killed, but they do show clips from those videos.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:52 pm 

Thoughts while watching Star Trek: Picard, "Wow, very interesting premise, impressive visuals, unique but familiar feel... so what's up with the bone jarringly awful dialog?"

So I checked the credits: screenplay by Akiva Goldsman.

Well, that was easy. Michael Chabon couldn't come faster.

severzhavnost
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:16 am 

“Impressive visuals” you say... well, technically yes it looks impressive, but I find all the floating screens difficult to watch. I am curious about the series though, mostly that I want to find out who the enemy is. The Dominion has left, Cardassia is ruined, and the Romulans (combining timelines but whatever) are scattered refugees who for some reason are building a Borg cube type thingy. So yeah, I’m interested.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159  Next