Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:38 am 

Wife and I binged all of Tiger King in one day last week. Just when you think it gets to the pinnacle of crazy, the story somehow finds a way to go beyond that. It's an instantly legendary true crime doc simply for how batshit insane everyone and everything in it is.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:20 am 

Anyone watched the complete second season of Altered Carbon and/or both seasons of Lost in Space?

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:03 pm 

I watched AC season 2 and part of Lost in Space, didn't finish it. AC season 2 was decent. I think I preferred the first season.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:55 pm 

My wife and I decided to watch first season Rugrats on Hulu last night, and we were perpetually distracted by how ugly and horrifying the animation was. Everybody’s so off model all the time that they’re never on model in the first place, individual character anatomy is completely incongruent with real human anatomy, the actual drawings themselves are sloppy and amateurish, sometimes characters will be in one outfit and then in a totally different outfit the very next shot, sometimes the characters’ eye pupils will straight up vanish, in one episode a character has a flesh colored beard, and other disgusting things that have led me to conclude that Rugrats in the first season only worked because of how well written the show was.

Klasky Csupo shows were notorious for how badly drawn they were (most infamously, The Simpsons was nearly cancelled before it even aired because the first episode Klasky Csupo animated was so ungodly terrible), and while Rugrats did look infinitely better the longer it went on (at the expense of good writing), that first season is just atrociously drawn and animated.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:59 am 

Halfway through the Mandalorian. I can see why people went nuts over it but I'm glad I waited for the hype to dissipate. I definitely wish that the scenes weren't so goddamn dark.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:59 am 

Haha did anyone actually like "SEE"

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:10 pm 

Binged S1 of the Expanse between last night and tonight. Great, great show. Love the production design and how relatable the politics feel. I genuinely did not see the closing moments of the S1 finale coming.

darkeningday, your thoughts on the rest of the show? Does it get better, worse, keep the same quality?

darkeningday wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:24 am 

The Expanse reached its peak (so far...) in the third season, but the fourth is no slouch either. I think the only reason I wasn't as crazy about the fourth season was because I prefer my space operas set in, uh, space and that season is mostly landlocked. The show does end up losing the hardboiled PI stuff and evolving into more of an epic, but it's the best damn sci-fi (nevermind SyFy lol) epic that's ever graced TV.

Also, unlike LOST and BSG, it doesn't dangle answers to impossible questions at the end of a stick, promising you just one more episode and I will tell you everything (of course never actually doing so), it either flat-out explains those burning questions sooner than you'd expect or gives you the means to answer it yourself.

You're in for a helluva ride, but also good luck trying to find another show in this genre at this quality.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:21 am 

Got halfway through a.c. Season 2 and carnival row. Didn't care for either.

BirthOfDisease
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:02 pm 

I don't know if anyone in here is a Red Dwarf fan, but did any of you catch The Promised Land last night? I thought it wasn't too bad! Not amazing by any means, and I wish more had been elaborated on with the cat people and such but overall, it was decently funny with some pretty amusing callbacks to past episodes.

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:32 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
AC season 2 was decent. I think I preferred the first season.

Im halfway of the season 2, I think they shoud have make a better casting for Kovaks, Mackie doesn't convince me that much. He's good, but should have been someone with more athletic shape

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:58 pm 

BirthOfDisease wrote:
I don't know if anyone in here is a Red Dwarf fan, but did any of you catch The Promised Land last night? I thought it wasn't too bad! Not amazing by any means, and I wish more had been elaborated on with the cat people and such but overall, it was decently funny with some pretty amusing callbacks to past episodes.

No Red Dwarf fans in here? Do you have a head shaped like an amusing novelty condom?

I haven't watched it yet but the trailer and concept look promising. The last two new series were pretty solid, not anywhere near the classics of course, but I'm sure I'll enjoy this one if they keep the same level up.

BirthOfDisease
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:05 pm 

newp wrote:
No Red Dwarf fans in here? Do you have a head shaped like an amusing novelty condom?

It's always worth it to ask, IMO!

But yeah, it's absolutely worth a watch. I agree that the newer series have been solid if not classic, but for me nothing has come close to how glorious Red Dwarf IV was, so I think there's a fairly high bar to cross anyway with regards to the boys from the dwarf.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:23 am 

Finished Expanse S2. The finale was one of those episodes filled with "fuck yeah" moments that only work when you've been along for the ride. Draper has joined Miller, Alex, Avasarala, and Amos as a favorite. The mid-season "finale" was heartbreaking in all the right ways. On the one hand, I think Syfy fucked the dog hardcore on dropping this series and letting Amazon nab it up, but then the other hand reminds me that NBC Universal doesn't like to invest in niche programs long-term the same way that AMC Networks will (and regularly has).

Something that really makes me love the show so much more is the production design, taking equal parts from James Cameron and Lawrence Paull and finding the happy medium. I love the MCRN vac suits, and been having a blast figuring out what lies beneath the sci-fi casing on the weaponry. Some are just slightly modified current guns, the Vector SBR popping up regularly as well as Miller's handgun being a Chiappa Rhino 50DS, but others are a little more complicated. I was pretty sure the rifles in the Rocinante's armory were modified M249s, but the IMFDB tells me they're modded SCAR-Ls and I totally see it.

darkeningday wrote:

Timeghoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:22 am 

I accidentally caught the War of the Worlds show. I went back and started from the beginning. Such a good show. Episodes really keep me on edge. Very impressed its on Epix.

Quote:
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:30 pm 

This show 'I Am Not OK With This' is damn fucking good. I wish there were more episodes even.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:32 am 

Timeghoul wrote:
I accidentally caught the War of the Worlds show. I went back and started from the beginning. Such a good show. Episodes really keep me on edge. Very impressed its on Epix.

I believe it's a French series that Epix bought the US distribution rights for.

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:10 am 

Not exactly my usual genre, but lately i've been really impressed by Fleabag: i was a bit cold at the start as the first few episodes came off as a little edgy and the constant 4th wall breaking was a bit annoying, but then it turned rapidly into an interesting story about loss and love with a lot of emotional weight.

The acting and direction are also top notch!

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:55 am 

Caught up on Expanse. I can see why DD didn't care for S4 after the insane epics of S2 and S3, but I loved it all and can't wait for S5 later this year. The ending with Amos was excellent.

Started Justified back up and I forgot how much some of those early episodes dragged while they were still working out the balance between the season-long storyline and individual episodes. Dat Wynn Duffy, tho...

darkeningday wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:06 pm 

Better Call Saul finale was unexpected in a lot of ways - not the tragic blowout I expected but instead something more colorful that opened a lot of new doors rather than crushing your soul.

This is just such a rich show. The writers do well by not resorting to flashy, instant gratification type stuff - instead of going 'and then x character dies,' they say 'well, what if this happened and then that happened?' It's more compelling storytelling to just keep going rather than do the immediate thing everyone thinks you'll do. And the ways it fleshes out Breaking Bad's universe and the ways people think about crime, rationalizing their choices, are so damn deep and intriguing.

contrapak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:53 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Caught up on Expanse.

Have you read the books?

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:54 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Also, unlike LOST and BSG, it doesn't dangle answers to impossible questions at the end of a stick, promising you just one more episode and I will tell you everything (of course never actually doing so),

Another opportunity to recommend 2019's Swamp Thing. That show really wants to tell you a very important plot detail. Maybe not this episode. Maybe not the next. Probably not even the one after it. But one day it will really tell you something really important. We'll get really close to it every now and then, and one day for sure it will tell you.

Though only if it's brought back from cancellation, because they forgot to do it in season 1.

https://www.last.fm/user/oldmetalthrone

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:40 pm 

Due to the current situation, I'll finally check out some of these comic book shows you've been recommending, purely escapist entertainment sounds appealing. I think I've only seen the pilot to Agents and the first season of Arrow, the former of which was okay and the latter of which I ended a relationship because I couldn't stand having to watch it.

It would be nice if there were fewer comic books about rich assholes helping the poor by beating them senseless.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:51 pm 

AoS is really cool for five seasons. It's nice by itself but on top of that I really like that they organise their serialised season-long plots into several sub-plots for a few episodes each to avoid the filler episodes going in circles that a lot of serialised shows do. Tonally the show is a lot of light fluff of course, but it's Marvel Comics and not The Godfather so everyone should kind of know that from the get-go.

Still love most of the Marvel Netflix shows minus the entirety of Iron Fist, the second season of Daredevil and the unresolved quasi-cliffhanger ending of Luke Cage.

On that subject I really need to add that the season 2 opening two-parter ("Married") of The Incredible Hulk is one of the most true to life depictions of a race against the clock I've ever seen. They're so confident at first, so sure that they'll easily beat the situation in time, and the way it keeps getting more desparate as the episode progressing it's just heart-breaking because it's a really accurate depiction of these "you have so and so long to live unless we find a miracle solution"-situations. The guest star won an award for her performane, too, and rightfully so. And Bill Bixby does it the way only Bill Bixby can do.

Deathdoom1992
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:19 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Better Call Saul finale was unexpected in a lot of ways - not the tragic blowout I expected but instead something more colorful that opened a lot of new doors rather than crushing your soul.

This is just such a rich show. The writers do well by not resorting to flashy, instant gratification type stuff - instead of going 'and then x character dies,' they say 'well, what if this happened and then that happened?' It's more compelling storytelling to just keep going rather than do the immediate thing everyone thinks you'll do. And the ways it fleshes out Breaking Bad's universe and the ways people think about crime, rationalizing their choices, are so damn deep and intriguing.

Came here to say this - probably the best TV show since Breaking Bad itself. For sure I was expecting it to take a different turn after Bagman and Bad Choice Road, but I'm glad that
Spoiler: show
they didn't kill off Lalo. The Lalo/Nacho conflict next season should be interesting.

Also curious to see how they wrap up the Gene narrative.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:10 pm 

contrapak wrote:
acid_bukkake wrote:
Caught up on Expanse.

Have you read the books?

Negative, but I'm super tempted to after binging the show.

darkeningday wrote:

contrapak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:45 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
contrapak wrote:
acid_bukkake wrote:
Caught up on Expanse.

Have you read the books?

Negative, but I'm super tempted to after binging the show.

I highly recommend it. They are obviously better than the show.

Plus, there are a lot of them, so they'll keep you occupied for a while.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:18 am 

I just started watching Steven Universe recently and the episode I watched last night, Giant Woman, had me crying like a baby. Happy, ugly, can't-turn-em-off tears. It was just such a sweet ending, but I don't want to spoil anything.

My fiance has told me for 2 years that if I like Adventure Time, I've got to give SU a chance. I guess she really knows me. AT is pure silliness and absurdity. SU is more focused, more wholesome, and based on the way Opal was introduced in Giant Woman, I assume the story goes deeper than you would expect. I'm obsessed.

contrapak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:01 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I just started watching Steven Universe recently and the episode I watched last night

It's that good, huh? I always thought it was another mindless kids show.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:12 pm 

I think kids could enjoy it but not on the same level as an adult. But it is a cartoon and it is wholesome so if you don't want that, please don't take my post as a recommendation. Figured there might be some other fans here, but I'm open to outright hate from people who have seen it!

We've also been marathoning Nurse Jackie which is uh...less wholesome. Highly binge-able though, the episodes feel SO SHORT at 30 minutes each. It feels like everything has to be at least an hour now, to even qualify as a drama.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:21 pm 

That generation of Cartoon Network shows are anything but mindless.

darkeningday wrote:

contrapak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:39 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I think kids could enjoy it but not on the same level as an adult. But it is a cartoon and it is wholesome so if you don't want that, please don't take my post as a recommendation. Figured there might be some other fans here, but I'm open to outright hate from people who have seen it!

You're not the only one who raved about SU. I've been interested for a while. It's just finding the time for it.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:18 am 

Homeland!
What a clever ending to Carrie’s mission!

contrapak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:21 pm 

I'm still shocked Homeland was still on TV.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:05 pm 

Yesterday and today I watched The Mandalorian. Feels like a distant memory saying that but: I enjoyed watching Star Wars.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 6:29 pm 

Took half a week to binge on The Expanse. And damn it Amazon, the entire 4th season would have happened in 2-3 episodes in the first three seasons, what's with streaming services and their infinitely aggravating obsession to drag everything out endlessly? It's not that season 4 is bad, they just could have fit at least twice as much story into it, the way they did with the previous seasons.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 7:04 pm 

I can see that, but I enjoyed the calmer pace as the story got more existential. The final scene was awesome, too.

darkeningday wrote:

contrapak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:38 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Took half a week to binge on The Expanse. And damn it Amazon, the entire 4th season would have happened in 2-3 episodes in the first three seasons, what's with streaming services and their infinitely aggravating obsession to drag everything out endlessly? It's not that season 4 is bad, they just could have fit at least twice as much story into it, the way they did with the previous seasons.

It's to keep people coming back for more.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:22 pm 

Yeah the funny thing is that with this show it would be completely unnecessary because even when material from the books runs out they've essentially established a type of universe that has absolutely no limitations to its possibilities and could in theory last for a hundred seasons if there were ever that many good writers to be found. As a TV show it essentially combined the possibilities of the Stargate universe with the Babylon 5 universe and multiplies them ever further into a backbone that you could tell a thousand different stories in and still have room for plenty more.

Even where the show is right now and without having read the books yet I can tell you hundreds of unanswered questions that are available right there, right now. Just in our own solar system there's the state of Mars, class divisions on Earth, what's left on Venus, faction divides in the Belt, the fate of the Maos, leftover Caliban, where did the Mormons go, aftermath of the Amazon bombing, what other companies besides Mao have private space fleets, etc, and on top of that is everything beyond the Rings.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 10:15 pm 

Only on episode 2 of Killing Eve, but this is a really stylish, fun, intriguing show. Very different from most things like this in the kind of secret agent/crime mold.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 157, 158, 159, 160, 161  Next