Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:30 pm 

I've only seen the first episode and I thought it was fine. My girlfriend is obsessed with it though and is in love with Villanelle, should I be worried?

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:50 pm 

The Outer Limits, Season 1, Episode 1, "The Galaxy Being": This doesn't make any fucking sense, but at least it's got the worst visual effects I've ever seen. I'll keep watching the show further.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:05 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
I've only seen the first episode and I thought it was fine. My girlfriend is obsessed with it though and is in love with Villanelle, should I be worried?

I don't know what to think, I'm three episodes in and am positive this is going to end up in some completely other place than where it is right now. I'll post about it again when I'm past season 1 maybe.

contrapak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:46 pm 

Has anyone watched Tales of the Loop yet?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:47 pm 

The newest episode of Rick & Morty absolutely killed me. In the good way, of course. Season 3 felt a bit wonky and off-kilter, but Season 4 has been straight genius so far.
Fruits Basket (2019)
After That: Sound! Euphonium: Our Promise ~A Brand New Day~ and Chihayafuru 3

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:25 pm 

Yeah that was a great episode. Made me think back to studying postmodern metafiction, lol.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:19 pm 

Season 7 of SG-1 by now, and so far I don't think I've ever seen a cast gel so much (Parker Lewis excluded) and I'm laughing more watching this show than any comedy, everything just fits together so perfectly.

Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:21 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Anyone watched the complete second season of Altered Carbon and/or both seasons of Lost in Space?

I was engaged in all of S1 of AC, but S2 did absolutely nothin' for me. I was slightly disappointed, and haven't be as enthusiastic about it.

S2 of Mindhunter was very good, though.

Last edited by Metal_Warspite on Sun May 24, 2020 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 12:23 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Anyone watched the complete second season of Altered Carbon and/or both seasons of Lost in Space?

Watched both.

Lost In Space is a pretty damn competent overly dramatic sci fi saga. The soundtrack is too much at times and it's melodramatic as fuck but the strong cast saves the series. The kids are really good. The writing isn't bad either, it has a few interesting twists and turns. It's a good reboot/reinterpretation of the originals, I feel. I'm interested to see where it's going...

Spoiler: show
Especially since they really divided the cast now

Altered Carbon is something else. Very special and varied sci fi. Season 1 was very strong albeit a bit overlong at time. Joel Kinnaman brought dynamism to that super complex role, something Anthony Mackie did too in s02. It's a spectacular show, it mixes highly sophistacted sci fi ideas with pure gun and sword action, that's something you rarely see done well. Into the Badlands did something similar but it didn't take itself seriously enough to be truly good.

Season 2 was much more chaotic in its storytelling, I felt. I almost zoned out for the 2nd half of the season... It had issues.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 3:07 am 

So, I just read that Ruby Rose left Batwoman. I watched the first episode, which was oddly written. The first part has some Gotham officials absolutely ripping into the absent Batman. One of DC's greatest characters, getting ripped into. They wrote that; they filmed it; and they were allowed to keep it in. Then Kane discovers the bat-cave half way through the episode, which was ridiculous. There was virtually no development. Then we discover that Kane's adversary is her long lost sister. Boy, it sucked!

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:51 pm 

just bingewatched black spot / zone blanche https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6519410/ and loved it. it's twin peaks meets true detective season 1 in french... murder mystery with a helping of mysticism and brie cheese.

CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:27 am 

Metal_Warspite wrote:
So, I just read that Ruby Rose left Batwoman. I watched the first episode, which was oddly written. The first part has some Gotham officials absolutely ripping into the absent Batman. One of DC's greatest characters, getting ripped into. They wrote that; they filmed it; and they were allowed to keep it in. Then Kane discovers the bat-cave half way through the episode, which was ridiculous. There was virtually no development. Then we discover that Kane's adversary is her long lost sister. Boy, it sucked!

I have no interest in any of the seemingly endless line of Batman shows without Batman.

Gotham is a colorful, interesting place, but my main interest will always be Batman.

Affleck really fucked us into this eight year Batman drought.

You're the first person I've read give any insight as to what Batwoman was about. Everything I've read begins and ends at her sexuality.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:17 am 

So is that Snowpiercer series any good?

severzhavnost
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 9:34 pm 

Cried a little watching the season 1 finale of Kim’s Convenience. That scene where the mother, daughter and estranged son sing a beautiful Korean song at a church festival, while the father, not ready to reconcile with the son yet, secretly sings along off stage... I haven’t gotten that emotional watching something since Data died in Star Trek Nemesis.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 12:14 pm 

Azmodes wrote:

My girlfriend and I watched the first episode and it was trash. I dislike the movie too, so went in with super low expectations, but yeah, it's bad.

The Great about Catherine the Great is... great. Like, really really good. Same writer as The Favorite from a few years back.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:41 pm 

Nice, Agents of SHIELD is back and looks a lot more promising than the previous season.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:51 am 

Anyone check out Gangs of London? The Raid movies suck ass (particularly the second), [edit] and this is no different, after getting a bit into it.

Cool first hour and good action as always, though.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:15 am 

andersbang wrote:
Azmodes wrote:

My girlfriend and I watched the first episode and it was trash. I dislike the movie too, so went in with super low expectations, but yeah, it's bad.

Yeah, the rating on IMDb didn't seem too promising. I did like the movie, but don't think I'll be checking out this then. Too much better stuff on my watchlist anyway.

last_eulogy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:08 am 

I started watching Laurel Canyon. Really good series. All of these musicians lived in that area. Its all about how they formed their sound and helped each other out. The Byrds, Love, Buffalo Springfield, Flying Burrito Brothers, Jackson Brown, list is endless.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:37 am 

Going to go ahead and put a big recommendation on Gangs of London. It has the best action scenes ever put to the small screen, no hyperbole, and the plot comes together in an utterly ridiculous but highly entertaining way. Don't get too bummed out by episode 2/3, it's going somewhere, I promise.

There's absolutely nothing original in any part of the show, you've seen it all before, but you've probably not seen it done to this quality and precision. Also, there's minimal CGI blood if that bothers you, it's clearly made with as much practical effects as possible.

Azmodes, fuck Snowpiercer and watch this so I have someone to talk to about it plz.

vk66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:57 am 

contrapak wrote:

This is on my list, any views on this?

Metal_Warspite wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

I was engaged in all of S1 of AC, but S2 did absolutely nothin' for me. I was slightly disappointed, and haven't be as enthusiastic about it.
S2 of Mindhunter was very good, though.

I'm yet to watch S2 of Altered Carbon, there's also the anime version movie on Netflix which I'm interested in. Mindhunter was phenomenal, has it been cancelled?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:13 am 

contrapak wrote:

huh wtf, I just looked this up on IMDb and immediately recongized the main image from somewhere else. So they did an entire series based on this guy's artwork? That's.... weird/awesome.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:53 am 

Choosing Philip Glass to score Tales from the Loop was a masterstroke. His music is atmospheric, textured, has an unmistakable aura of intellectualism, and bores you to death with its hypnotic repetitiveness only to go absolutely nowhere in the end. There's nothing you can really criticize about TftL; it's brilliantly acted, impeccably photographed, has film-quality VFX... but by the midway point I was struggling to stay awake, and by the end of the season I wished like hell I'd succumbed to sleep. Looking back I found the whole thing repulsive and I wished I'd used my time for literally anything else... but if the prospect of a sci-fi Terence Malik film with absolutely nothing to say is alluring to you, I can't deny it might be your bag.

But Gangs of London has way better fight scenes.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:24 am 

vk66 wrote:
Mindhunter was phenomenal, has it been cancelled?

It's on some kind of hiatus last I heard. But the option is open for more.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:27 am 

Decided to watch the entirety of Agents of SHIELD from beginning to end. I honestly love that show, classic 90s/00s sci fi that could hold its own against stuff like Star Trek TNG or Stargate if it wasn't 1) released a decade after that era and 2) treated like a lesser add-on to a movie franchise.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:42 am 

All 5 or so episodes I saw of Agents of SHIELD felt much more like NCIS than Stargate...

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:56 am 

Pretty true for the entire first season and parts of the second season, they either had lower budgets for those or wanted to take time to establish the characters before going all out, realistically most likely the former.

last_eulogy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:03 pm 

Is there anyone here that watches the Last O.G.? I think it's a great show. I really love so much of what Tracy Morgan has done.

I have a question for anyone that might possibly watch it? Did the family that moved to Jersey leave the show? They haven't been in any episodes since moving. I am unable to find anything about it online, except that the entire family moved to New Jersey. I liked them and thought they added a great element to the show.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:53 am 

Anyone who loves Garth Marenghi's Darkplace has got to check out Danger 5. This is the most fun I've had with a retro-parody TV show since, well, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:40 am 

last_eulogy wrote:
Is there anyone here that watches the Last O.G.? I think it's a great show. I really love so much of what Tracy Morgan has done.

I have a question for anyone that might possibly watch it? Did the family that moved to Jersey leave the show? They haven't been in any episodes since moving. I am unable to find anything about it online, except that the entire family moved to New Jersey. I liked them and thought they added a great element to the show.

I love Tracy Jordan with 30 Rock writing.

I haven't watched The Last O.G., because I don't trust him without the 30 Rock writers.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Curious_dead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:26 am 

So me and my girlfriend are abandoning the current season of Doctor Who. I thought the first Jodie Whitaker season was OK; the lack of old villains and the three companions were definitely a weakspot, but I thought it’s a new team, season 2 will get better, right? Well, I was wrong. The show’s lost its subtlety and is hammering us with moral after moral. They still haven’t given Ryan or Yaz any personality. Graham still is the best companion.

That episode with the second Doctor and Jack was awesome though, the best of Jodie’s run IMO… but it goes nowhere. The rest of the season was mediocre at best. I hate that they give the first female doctor such weak episodes. I love Jodie’s take, though and I will hope that the teams either improves or changes for the next season.

A random children’s (teens?) tv show that was playing on TV before we started the penultimate episode of the season (when we decided to quit halfway) was better written.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:57 pm 

I binged the 4 episode miniseries "Jeffrey Epstein: Filthy Rich". Really sad man, you can tell he totally destroyed those girls that he fucked with. Not only that, but the series definitely brings to light how royally fucked our criminal justice system can be. The fact that Alexander Acosta had anything to do with the Trump administration, no matter how short of a stint it was, is absolutely disgusting.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:36 pm 

Wow the animated early 90s Conan the Adventurer is horrible, you'd think Conan would be perfect material for a great animated show, but that one definitely isn't it.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:48 pm 

What We Do In The Shadows has been consistently a favorite and revered series now.. some episodes aren't as funny but around 90% of them had me laughing and laughing

Face_your_fear_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:26 pm 

Walker Texas Ranger. You pick your favorite episode and I'll pick mine. I just watched the episode where Walker helps run a karate school for disadvantaged kids and earnestly works to keep one particular kid from becoming a gangbanger. The acting couldn't be worse, the dialog is atrocious ("My little sister was killed in a drive-by shooting so I put my purple belt in her coffin"), the blocking and even the action are all third-rate. Instead of immediately taking down the bad boys near the end, Norris challenges the entire gang (all 50 of them) to a fistfight -- which he naturally wins, and handily, I might add.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:39 am 

Is anyone excited for / semi-dreading the Foundation TV series that Apple are funding ?

It's extremely pretty, looking at the trailer. It also has the now-usual cast of pretty young things in place of the novels' middle-aged characters, which I'd half expected (some of the comments on the article apparently thought that in this era we're going to get a cerebral TV drama with people hanging around talking, old-school BBC style), and some weird changes to the context / plot of the books themselves.

I'll give it a go, but as with things like modern Star Trek / Wars and the Battlestar remake, I'm not getting my hopes up - anyone have any other thoughts / feelings ?

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/06/apple-drops-first-teaser-trailer-for-tv-adaption-of-asimovs-foundation-series/

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:53 am 

niix wrote:
What We Do In The Shadows has been consistently a favorite and revered series now.. some episodes aren't as funny but around 90% of them had me laughing and laughing

I watched the movie a few days ago, really liked it and jumped straight into the series. Agreed that it's not super consistently great, but when it hits the mark it really gets me. Bless them for putting Matt Berry in this.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:01 am 

Face_your_fear_79 wrote:
Walker Texas Ranger. You pick your favorite episode and I'll pick mine.

Silk Dreams. Best episode by far. Three words: Kung Fu Chemists.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:08 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
niix wrote:

I watched the movie a few days ago, really liked it and jumped straight into the series. Agreed that it's not super consistently great, but when it hits the mark it really gets me. Bless them for putting Matt Berry in this.

isn't it so fun! some of the highlights for me were

Spoiler: show
both major Colin Robinson episodes, as well as the 'special' guests - i.e original film characters+PAUL Reubens+others.

I couldn't not recommend it enough

Eradicatedseraphim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:59 pm 

Really been digging quite heavily into Hannibal the last 4 days or so and I am currently in the beginning of S2. There are a few minor scruples i have with that one reporter chick, and the fact Jack seems way too heavily reliant on Will and Hannibal to solve his cases even to the point of contacting Will in prison WTF? Like I get historically the FBI has used guys like Dahmer and Bundy to create profiles, but I feel like those efforts were largely useless. Anyway, I love the dialogue and acting and feel like the series gives Lecter the sociopath qualities that were mainly camp in the films, while making Will an extremely tormented and conflicted protagonist. Its taken me way too long to get into the series but I always knew I'd love it

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163  Next