Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:14 pm 

Ok, The Bee Gees, Odessa, great album, really atmospheric and dark, dark dark. Before the annoying falsette
Pink Floyd and King Crimson are already mentioned, and with one or two tracks as exception, Life is People by Bill Fay is an honourable mention. Ulver s Perdition City, Pink Moon by Nick Drake and a lot more. There is also my frinds band, who never releaed anything but is damned good, hope they put their shit together and I´m sure they will have some impact. o the band is called Counter earth spin
Not hearsay but the will of man

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:02 am 

Aiboforcen - Dedale : Unique synth pop, addictive and with beautiful melodies, that stands out from the rest of the genre.

Air - Moon Safari : French pop, with dream synths and a great retro/70's feel.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:31 am 

BLOOD AXIS: Blót - Sacrifice In Sweden
DAVE NAVARRO: Trust No One
Ken Russell's Gothic OST

puggy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:59 am 

Let's see... lots of old, old memories here. Not including borderline/metal-derived stuff here, that would lengthen the list quite a bit. I wonder how many of these would be a 100 for me if I found them today...

Frank Turner - England Keep My Bones
Frank Turner - Love Ire & Song
Frank Turner - Sleep Is For The Week
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced?
Soundgarden - Superunknown
NOFX - Coaster
NOFX - War On Errorism
Anti-Flag - Die For the Government
Streetlight Manifesto - Everything Went Numb
Streetlight Manifesto - Somewhere In the Between
Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West
Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
Black Flag - My War
Black Flag - Damaged
Million Dead - A Song to Ruin
Million Dead - Harmony No Harmony
Senses Fail - Still Searching
At the Drive-In - Relationship of Command
Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth
Marilyn Manson - Holy Wood
Stabbing Westward - Darkest Days
Burzum - Hlidskjalf
Opeth - Damnation
N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton
2pac - 2pacalypse Now
Dr. Dre - The Chronic
The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
DJ Quik - Quik Is The Name

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:56 pm 

^ We are not supposed to give lists, just a few albums with explanations as to why they are 100%

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:18 am 

Akira Yamaoka - Silent Hill 3 soundtrack. Very good dark ambient with industrial overtones and small tracks, which makes it very accessible. Very good background music for any gaming session.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:38 pm 

Tod_Im_Juni wrote:
Akira Yamaoka - Silent Hill 3 soundtrack. Very good dark ambient with industrial overtones and small tracks, which makes it very accessible. Very good background music for any gaming session.

Yes! I remember buying the version of the game that came with the soundtrack. It was my go-to nighttime driving album for about a year. Perfectly creepy and wondrous.

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:40 pm 

I really like Dick Dale and his surf guitar, though it is rock, the guitars are quite heavy and he kinda made Fender the way they are now (http://www.dickdale.com/history.html)

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:48 pm 

Hmph, no idea how or why I forgot to mention this earlier.

cky - infiltrate, destroy, rebuild

kramer820
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:20 pm 

These are the most recent Non-Metal albums i listen to in the past years, that i consider near perfect (let's face it: THE perfect record doesn't exist, there are always little flaws):

Vex'd - Cloud Seed
I also could mention the predecessor Degenerate, but Cloud Seed is the more diverse, more mature of the two records. Vex'd were put in the Dubstep-genre by a lot of people, but they easily transcend this particular style of electronic music (that is filled with a lot of mediocre and cheap acts) by including Classical, Ambient, Experimental and even some slight Metal influences (particular evidenced in the last song "Nails".) Too bad they broke up a few years ago, but continue solo, of which Roly Porter's ambient-project is the most noteworthy. Check out his album "Aftertime".

Scorn - Refuse;Start Fires
I think Mick Harris needs no introduction. With his latest Scorn-effort he returned after a hiatus of few years and showed especially the countless Dubstep-wannabes how it's done (considering the fact, that he, Kevin Martin and EL-B are the main influences for the genre). Every single drumsound, every atmospheric layer and every thundering bassline are perfectly attuned to each other. Mick must have spend some time in the studio to search for the perfect mix of the various sounds.

Akira Yamaoka - Silent Hill Homecoming OST
While the game is mediocre at best, the soundtrack is (as all the others from Akira, including the Shadows Of The Damned and No More Heroes OSTs) is pure gold. The mix between beautiful Ambient soundscapes, terrifying Industrial-Noise-Tracks and some cheesy (but nonetheless wonderful) Indie-Rock-songs with the excellent Mary Elizabeth McGlynn on vocals is even better then on the previous Silent Hill soundtracks.

Fetish 69 - Geek
The band was in its beginning a kind of Godflesh-clone (albeit a rather good one) but developed a own unique sound over the years. On Geek Fetish 69 blend the claustrophobic Trip Hop from Tricky and Massive Attack with Dark Ambient, frosty Cool Jazz and even some of the old Industrial Metal-influences (particular in the use of distorted basslines in a few songs) to a mixture all of their own. The paranoid and slightly misanthropic Lyrics of vocalist Christian are the icing on the cake.

Atrium Carceri - Cellblock
Together with Megaptera's Curse Of The Scarecrow and the whole Lustmord-discography probably my favourite Dark Ambient album. Slight neoclassical influences and the great atmosphere on this record make me listen to this regularly.

That's all i can think of now, although there are lots of other records to mention, but more on that later.

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:17 am 

AktiveHate - X-Synthesized
Excellent dark-electro/aggrotech with sporadic industrial metal influences.

Hatman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:45 am 

I'd give the Ramones self-titled 100%, and the next two plus Too Tough to Die would come close. That first one, though, doesn't have even a hint of a bad song on it.
There was a lot of Bad Religion love several pages back, and I wouldn't be surprised if I rated Suffer, No Control, or Against the Grain 100% once I listen to them more.
Living Colour's Vivid would make it if it wasn't for track 10.

MorbidBlood wrote:
It's just too brutal for the normal listeners.

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:45 am 

Al Stewart - Bedsitter Images, Love Chronicles & The Best Of
pop-ish folk/soft rock with storytelling lyrics.

Darth Bathory
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:42 pm 

Two albums never far away from the top of my "to play" list:

Skin: Blood, Women, Roses
Jarboe's contribution to this late 80s Swans side-project's pair of albums (the other is Michael Gira's "Shame, Humility, Revenge" - also a fine album, but doesn't quite hit the 100% mark for me), this is a bleak piece of work shot through with some rays of warmth, but you can't have shadow without light to offset it, can you? It's a minimal piece of work, some piano and occasional percussion used amongst a sea of reverb to offset exactly what Jarboe can draw from her audience with her voice as the central focus - short answer: a lot. The version of "Cry Me A River" on this album is a harrowing, dark exploration of a torch song standard, only Christian Death's version of "Gloomy Sunday" comes close to touching it for a sense of loss.

Amber Asylum: The Natural Philosophy Of Love
Equal parts delicacy, icy elegance, grace and beauty, it's like a kind of suite of dark, haunting lullabies. I don't want to try to sell it too hard - just listen to it, then go and listen to the rest of Amber Asylum's discography - it's a rich vein to mine.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:46 pm 

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Comus - First Utterance. It's a very strange album, full of awkward melodies, with some creepiness to boost. I like it better before falling asleep. Recommended.

Darth Bathory
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:15 pm 

Aydross wrote:
Lately I've been listening to a lot of Comus - First Utterance. It's a very strange album, full of awkward melodies, with some creepiness to boost. I like it better before falling asleep. Recommended.

Have you heard Current 93's cover of "Diana"? It's quite different to the Comus version; the violin loop is used to great effect, and it's definitely David Tibet in creepy mode, vocal-wise. Worth a listen.

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:01 am 

Al Stewart - To Whom It May Concern 1966-1970
One of the very few albums I'm paying attention to the lyrics while listening. Also guitar by Jimmy Page on a couple of tracks.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:06 am 

Thought I'd update since I've discovered a few new things that I really enjoy (lol when was my last post, page 2 or something?)

Sparklehorse - Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot

Jesus, Mark Linkous was just bloody brilliant. Completely captures the personal and lonesome yet uncomfortable feel of the 90's without sounding conceited or angsty at all. It manages to merge soft spoken frail tunes with unnerving distorted sound bites, over-compressed vocals, and unnatural sounding analogue distortion and radio noises. I've grown to appreciate a lot of Sparklehorse's material, but none will compare to the all encompassing debut.

Kruger Brothers - Between the Notes

Solid neoclassical bluegrass with beautiful harmonies, great licks and tasty acoustic tones. That is all.

Neil Young - Mirror Ball

I already gave a 100 to Young's impenetrable classic After The Gold Rush. But it goes without saying that his prolific career has also produced other remarkable gems. If ATGR is the peak of his softer more recognizable sound, Mirror Ball is the definitive collection of original anthemic rock tracks which will be forever unmatched by him or any other legacy.

Dax Riggs - We Sing of Only Blood or Love and Say Goodnight To The World

Yes, both of his albums are perfect. Each track is worth its salt on it's own and as an entire album. It's a little cheesy in that all of the songs are short and specific, but the whole thing can still be listened to as a magnificent artistic endeavor.

Secular Prayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:35 am 

Nas- Illmatic. Everything I love about hip-hop is perfectly represented here. Great beats, lyrics that don`t sound dated, a moderate time length and, of course, Nasty Nas and his fantastic, unique flow.

Clutch- Blast Tyrant. I could`ve gone so many places with Clutch, my all-time favorite band, but this album is the one I think most deserving of a perfect score. "The Mob Goes Wild" and "The Regulator" alone drive this into greatness, but it`s filled with so much great rock from beginning to end.

Bad Religion- Suffer. Probably my second favorite band behind Clutch, this seminal record by the California punks offers 15 songs under half an hour. They`re short bursts, but still offer more in 90 seconds than most bands do over 3 albums. "Break all the fucking rules/And go to hell with Superman/and die like a champion" on "Do What You Want" is a personal standout.

MetalMacabro
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:45 am 

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds' "Let Love In"...

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:59 am 

Al Stewart - It Seemed Like A Good At The Time
I have always liked collections of out-takes and this one is particularly good as the tracks included are equally good to the tracks of the normal studio albums. I also think that the stripped down versions of the demo recordings benefit the tracks and their folk-rock character.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:47 pm 

I've been pretty much in love with Joanna Newsom since I first heard her about a year ago. Ridiculously talented composer, and delightful lyricist. Her 2nd album Ys is as near as it gets to 100% from me and probably the 3rd too if it wasn't spread a little bit thin over 3 CDs.

Ancient_Mariner wrote:
Pearl Jam - Vitalogy

It's probably their best but 100%? Do you really sit through Pry To and Foxymophandlemama all the way through every time you put it on?

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:45 am 

Al Stewart with Dave Nachmanoff - Uncorked
One of the best live (acoustic) albums. Almost all of the songs are imparted with new and interesting permutations, the choice of songs is interesting (avoiding over-exposed songs) and the enthusiasm of the performers is notable.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:56 am 

Showbread - No Sir, Nihilism is Not Practical: Easily my favorite album of all time. While nothing particularly groundbreaking, it is one of the greatest post-hardcore records ever made. It's chaotic and energetic in places, but even when it slows the songs manage to hold attention. It's also one of the most well-produced albums out there, with each song is built with layers upon layers of instruments, vocal tracks and sound effects/samples.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

BreedLikeRats
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:44 pm 

The album Deathconsciousness by Have a Nice Life is absolutely monolithic and I have a feeling that it will remain my absolute favorite album for a long time.

SPK - Leichenschrei
What a creepy hell of an album.

Christian Death - Only Theatre of Pain
I have never heard a goth record more grimy and foul than OTOP. Definitely one of my favorite albums of all time.

Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible
I have never heard a straight up rock record like this one. It's just intense in a way that other rock records are not.

Escape The Day - Ghostless
Bleak bleak bleak.

I Hate Myself - 10 songs
There isn't a single emo band that can bring me chills nearly every time I listen to one of their albums.

Low - I could live in hope
It's like 1 out of hundreds of albums I listen to that keeps me wanting to listen to it over and over again like I Could Live In Hope. Also a great album for when I'm feeling down. It understands meh.

Ezeekial Zoratium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:51 pm 

Odelay by Beck...I don't claim to have listened to the rest of his stuff in depth, but something about that albums just trips me the fuck out from beginning to end. Basically if I didn't wake up every day wanting to kill something, this album would be the penultimate definition to how my mind works

DeadAndMessedUp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:53 am 

I listen to Burzum's Sol Austan when I want to relax and would give it a 10 out of 10. I like the new album but its not as good. I hated it at first because he speaks but now I think its kinda cool. I just remembered a song from Cypress Hill - Black Sunday. It's some epic silly shit. Watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M8GszEN9MM. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3QAHZicSjQ.

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:56 am 

Alfred Schnittke - Faust Cantata & Concerto Grosso No. 2
Two of my favorite pieces of classical music. A violent Faust and a comical concerto pairing viola and cello with electric guitar and drums.

ExodusofSlayers
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:49 am 

I would say for me Uriah Heep's Demons and Wizards. That album always makes me rock out no matter what's going on that day. It's sorta new to me cause I only just got into Uriah Heep. The song the spell and the other one called traveller in time are both so progged out and 70's heavy.

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:01 am 

Alice Cooper - Along Came A Spider
The albums sounds oldschool and modern at the same time and its story is dark and disturbing, while the songs are catchy and fun.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:32 am 

Alison's Halo - Eyedazzler

Technically not an album, but a compilation of recordings

Fans of Ride and similar artists may love it
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:25 am 

Alice Cooper - Easy Action
Great and entertaining album of a band evolving from garage rock and psychedelia to hard rock.

mike584
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:06 am 

John McLaughlin, Al di Meola and Paco de Lucia - Passion, Grace and Fire

Allman Brothers - Live at The Fillmore

The Beatles - Revolver and Abbey Road

Led Zeppelin - anything off the first six albums

Todd Rundgren - Runt: The Ballad of Todd Rundgren and Healing (this guy is actually a SICK guitarist. Too bad these albums don't showcase this)

Black Flag - Damaged

Laura Nyro - Eli and the Thirteenth Confession and New York Tendaberry

Aerosmith - Rocks

Last edited by mike584 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:15 pm 

Silly Wizard- So Many Partings

An excellent album by this peerless Scottish folk group. Every tune is great in it's own way from instrumental to ballad, their own compositions to trad standards.

Jethro Tull- Aqualung

I love Tull. Everything I've heard from them does something for me but this one is at the top of the bunch right now. Took me ages to get into, the production came across as to thin to do the songs justice, especially listening on a shitty ipod, but the sound has grown on me over time and having a good sound system helps. Ian Anderson is the star of the show of course with his powerful vocals, delivered with a wry smile, inventive acoustic guitar and jazz flute but the rest of the band is on top form as well.

Nebelung- s/t

I didn't 'get' this when it first came out but I just went back to it recently and its unreal! The melodies are quite quite drawn out and the music is deceptively complex and layered which is why I think it didn't grab my younger ear. Really good if you like mellow, meditative neo-folk-ish stuff.

The Offspring- Ignition

The Offspring were the first band that I discovered that were all mine. Back in '98 when 'Pretty Fly For a White Guy' came out it changed my life forever and now 16 years later I still find their music essential. Ignition for me is their finest hour 'cause every song hits the mark, great riffs, great vocal harmonys, great everything.

Bad Religion- Against the Grain

Not a moments filler here, starts out "with attitude" and maintains the intensity for the next half and hour. Catchy song writing and hilariously intellectual lyrics. Classic hardcore.

Deftones- s/t

Chino is an amazing and not to mention unusual vocalist and he was what first drew me to the Deftones. Since then I've gained an appreciation for the music as a whole. The lyrics are ingenious surrealist images of modern life, utterly sincere and sung in a way that just shouldn't work but does so well. I would consider this metal but MA disagrees.

Scott Kelly- The Wake

Beautiful sparse folk songs of guitar and voice with some lap steel on two of the seven tracks. Took a while to reveal its self but once it did it enveloped me.

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:43 am 

Alice Cooper - "Love It To Death", "Killer" & "School's Out"
Alice Cooper reaching his trademark sound while retaining some psychedelic elements elements from his earlier years.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:48 pm 

ELP-Brain Salad Surgery: Karn Evil 9 is fantastic and the rest is good, as others have stated. Al Dimeola- Elegant Gypsy: Fusion shredding is amongst the weirder things to hear, but it's great. Yes-Fragile: The music on here makes me hear paintings, if that makes sense.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:10 am 

While we're talking EL-P, I'll throw in Aesop Rock - Skelethon.
One of the densest, most obfuscated meaning-laden rap albums, while still remaining catchy. Meditations on everything from maximum chilling to death.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:34 am 

I don't know if I'd ever give any album a 100% (I just don't think it's really possible to be perfect absolute), but Boston's 1976 debut steals a high A from me. I'm also a big fan of AC/DC's Let There Be Rock.
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:59 am 

This might sound insane, but Smash Mouth's debut Fush You Mang is damn near flawless. A far cry from the kid-friendly radio shit they would later turn out, it's one of the best pop-punk/ska albums ever made.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:11 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
This might sound insane, but Smash Mouth's debut Fush You Mang is damn near flawless. A far cry from the kid-friendly radio shit they would later turn out, it's one of the best pop-punk/ska albums ever made.

Couldn't get through 30 seconds of it. I'd chalk that up to ska not being anywhere near my usual listens, though. There are pop-punk albums I will listen to. I think I was 9 years old when I last heard these guys, and yes it was that "All Star" song.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 43  Next