Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:50 am 

Jailbreak isn't my favorite Lizzy album, but it's amazing to listen to it now and realize how much that influenced. "Warrior" and "Emerald" were iconic early heavy metal a la Maiden, and even some of the poppier songs, people would be trying to recreate that for years with the style of hooks and those catchy, consonant riffs.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:07 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Jailbreak isn't my favorite Lizzy album, but it's amazing to listen to it now and realize how much that influenced. "Warrior" and "Emerald" were iconic early heavy metal a la Maiden, and even some of the poppier songs, people would be trying to recreate that for years with the style of hooks and those catchy, consonant riffs.

Absolutely. Also, I know it's in the archives, but I decided to include it on my list, because I always personally consider it more of a rock record than metal. (although, I agree that they should be on here.)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:51 am 

Songs like "Warrior," "Emerald" and the "Black Rose" title song pretty much cement them as a metal band in the same way Deep Purple is on here for "Highway Star," "Space Truckin," "Speed King," etc - even though they had a lot of non metal songs, these tracks make them more than worthy to be here.

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:22 am 

For sure! 'Don't Believe a Word' is great too, that solo was incredibly prototypical and influential.

This is a bit tangential, but Another Perfect Day is probably my favorite Motörhead album because I just loved how Robbo accentuated their sound with those progressive chords and leads. It could be a more refined Motörhead or a more insolent Thin Lizzy, but a match made in Heaven either way, in my opinion. I really wish that lineup lasted a bit longer.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:29 pm 

Tanuki wrote:
This is a bit tangential, but Another Perfect Day is probably my favorite Motörhead album because I just loved how Robbo accentuated their sound with those progressive chords and leads. It could be a more refined Motörhead or a more insolent Thin Lizzy, but a match made in Heaven either way, in my opinion. I really wish that lineup lasted a bit longer.

Ditto. It has great songs with catchy rock sensibilities, and it's absolutely packed full of neat guitar leads as well.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:08 pm 

I love the bonus tracks on the remastered edition.

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:28 pm 

Might very well be the most badass psych rock album I've heard. Been listening to this and looking at squirrels through a telescope

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

jed1337
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:06 am 

My Beautiful Sinking Ship by Devics:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL53C91A144A83DF64

It's one of the few albums I have a physical copy of. Every song is beautiful in its own way.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:50 pm 

Vangelis - 1492: Conquest of Paradise

Every second of this masterpiece is pure atmospheric excellence, I wish I knew more of this stuff, I can't get enough of it

To be honest I'm just discovering it though

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:08 am 

Ghoultown - Life After Sundown (Americana/Psychobilly/Hard Rock)

If you're into gothic/horrific far west stories and you like the Confederate States (just kidding) then you will like these outlaw fellows singing about living deads, trains, El Paso and horses while playing a beautiful and catching and energetic rockabilly with trumpets, maracas, big bass guitar and all that stuff.

Tunes of Steel - Reviews and writing stuff website. Latest: Paradox - Pangea
Metalhertz, French Youtube radio channel

Cudnoredje
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:41 am 

Snot "Get Some" - The greatest masterpiece of post-thrash/pre-nu 90's crossover. The finest mix of hardcore/punk and groove metal/rock with some nice funky fills.

Dub War "Wrong Side of Beautiful" - An amazing mix of rapcore, rock, and reggae.

System of a Down (all albums) - Pretty self-explanatory to the fans. Sworn haters gonna hate anyway.

Strung Out "Exile in Oblivion" - Non-generic Californian punk/rock with plenty of melodic metal influences.

(I may also put Between the Buried and Me "Colors" here, but I consider it as a metal record.)

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:48 am 

The Raveonettes - Pe'ahi
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:53 pm 

I am having a hard time finding any flaws in the first two Cramps albums as of late. Just swampy, bluesy, stomping rock and roll. They were great songwriters and also knew how to cover songs and make them their own. Absolutely raucous, wild majesty.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:37 pm 

Anyone down with alt r&b I'd be tempted to give 100 to the new Kelela release. She's an absolutely fantastic vocalist and backed by a wonderful, atmospheric and adventurous production

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:30 pm 

Cudnoredje wrote:
Strung Out "Exile in Oblivion" - Non-generic Californian punk/rock with plenty of melodic metal influences.

I wouldn't give anything they've done a 100% score but I've always seen Blackhawks Over Los Angeles as their masterpiece. Probably the best blend of their earlier skate punk and later quasi-metallic influences rearing their heads. Calling is a total ripper, Letter Home makes me weep manly tears on the inside, and Party in the Hills has probably the greatest riff to ever be tragically discarded after two cycles in the history of rock music (the one right after the intro). It goes on a bit too long but I always thought the highs there were higher than the highs on Exile in Oblivion, even if Analog is one of the best songs they've ever penned.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:25 am 

Cudnoredje wrote:
System of a Down (all albums) - Pretty self-explanatory to the fans. Sworn haters gonna hate anyway.

I would definitely give Toxicity and Mezmerize a 100%. The other three I'd put anywhere between 96%-99%.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:50 pm 

Just popping back in here to give D+Evolution by Esperanza Spalding props again. Seriously, people need to listen to this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDrEHphZbcE

DividerOfShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:03 pm 

Since it's not essentially a heavy metal album but an alternative rock/grunge one, I'd go with Bruce Dickinson's "Skunkworks". Man, even the bonus tracks from the reissued version are awesome. I just can't see any flaw within this record, it's too perfect.

And I'm still hoping for Katy Perry to do another Christian album.

My Last.fm

~Guest 375103
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:14 pm 

AC/DC - Highway to Hell. I would give 100% to this album. RIP Malcolm Young.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:12 pm 

I've gone back and listened to the entire Björk discography lately, and my favourite is still Homogenic. I'd give that one 110%.

jjohn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:03 pm 

Ausia- Kasa Kasa

Folky Jazz from Japan. Simply stunning.
~~~~~
Terror X Crew - Έσσεται Ήμαρ

The best hip hop album that I know and a rather prophetic album about all that bad stuff that's been happening in Greece at the moment.
~~~~~

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:32 pm 

I could never give a non-metal album 100% no matter how much I liked it because it could always be improved by being metal.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:15 pm 

I mentioned the album in my last post but never stated why so I am going to rant a little here:

Metal is not my favorite genre of music, not even top three, so most of my albums that deserve a 100 period would be outside of any Metal possibility. Favorite music is Jazz with Classical second and Spanish Flamenco rounding out the top three. So my spotlight here will be of a guitarist who is ordinarily Metal and view their non-metal material. Of any musician ever viewed as Metal overall, I can think of only one who has an album deserving of a 100 when completely outside the Metal spectrum.

Imagine, if you will, watching one guitarist play an original inspired shred fest, only to next grab a Banjo and play a dazzling Bluegrass piece; before settling down with an acoustic and playing Waltz. It is a surreal experience. Eclectic guitarists are usually overlooked by lacking a central gimmick, but the eclecticism deserves attention. Not every guitarist cares for being eclectic but those that do, and have the skill, usually provide an instrumental album where the guitar is always at center stage. One such album is Ten Invitations by guitar virtuoso, Rik Emmett

Twenty years after being a groundbreaking Metal guitarist he releases this album, his fourth solo, and was a festival of mingling diverse musical styles. Classical on the surface but that is merely the canvas. The strokes used to paint the album range from Salsa(El Cuento Del Gadjo), Flamenco(Acadian Dance), Gospel(Ascending In St. Anne’s), Lounge(Souvenirs), Bluegrass(Buggy Ride) and Soundscapes(The Seventh Circle), the album works as much as a homage to these styles as it works as an original.

The album is conceptual, telling the story of an older Italian man who is in love with, but cannot get the nerve to approach, a younger Hispanic woman. By the time he does, she moves away and he is left forever wondering about the one always “A Whisper Away.” Not the most original story, but the fact that it says even that much while remaining an instrumental is beyond measure. There are no interludes, or spoken parts, to help drive the story along. While each song is remarkably different, the three cuts that stand out the most are ...

* Acadian Dance! Just Rik and his amazing chops on a flamenco acoustic. He flawlessly transitions from basic chords, lead modes and abstract chords to play a song that is actually incredibly fast. Without the aid of distortion or effect pedals, Rik allows every note to ring out, which is suitable for a guitarist who knows precisely the right notes to hit. It remains stunning to me that the man perfectly executing this very difficult style was, twenty years prior, laying down the ground work for Thrash Metal bands to follow.

* El Cuento Del Gadjo! Spanish for The Tale of the Crazy was the logical choice as opening song. It introduces the Italian man character by way of old Baroque era Classical music. A minute and a half of a slow moving and quiet synths, chimes and choir underneath delicate guitar lines that flow so wonderfully in harmony, the tune then introduces the Hispanic woman by shifting into … Salsa, Latin Jazz.
- Switching to a Spanish guitar, the next five minutes are upbeat, swinging and as full of energy as they are dazzling guitar playing. More than just a guitar centerpiece though, this is a compelling band effort. While it only features three stanzas of voicing, all of which are repeated three times, they are wonderfully voiced stanzas. Each repetition finds more instruments, such as a violin, cello and Mandolin joining on the fun, calling to mind Feria de Sevilla.

* A Whisper Away! The final choice cut is a prime contender for best song. Being the most pivotal moment in the story, the drama that bridges the gap from beginning to end, it had to be good. It portrayed the emotional moment quite perfectly. Two guitars voice the drama between the characters, electric for the man and acoustic the woman, they cry a mournful tale of woe. Done to illustrate how close the opportunity was, only for it to then slip through the mans fingers, becoming always just "A Whisper Away", ends with a deceptively positive and bright note over a sad choir voicing.

In all the album is a majestic one, saying all by saying nothing, but with melancholic guitar lines like on The Castle Of Regret, is a singer really required? The engaging glissandos grip your imagination in Secret Wishes, painting a tale of woe as only something acoustic can.

Rik Emmett is a different breed of guitar player; one with many hats, distinguished even. Groomed with humility and blessed with the skill, he takes as much pride in being a performer as he does in being eclectic.
By this albums release in 1997, he had recorded a song in several genres, some of which were as far removed from the Metal band he was chief songwriter of. This was the first time he failed to use a distorted electric tone on any song and completely removed all Metal affectations and produced a stunning piece of work. While each album of his remains great it is Ten Invitations that seems likely the milestone that will transcend.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:39 am 

Dropkick Murphys - Blackout

Fine mixture of punk and Celtic folk music. No wonder it's said that we Finns and Irish are like each other.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:49 pm 

Here's a few:

Deftones- Around the Fur: Love this album, love this band. This album may feel a bit dated for some in spots, but in others it still shines as bright as ever (Be Quite and Drive, My Own Summer) They've also done an exceptional job moving from their roots and into even more experimental barriers. Gore, released last year, was also amazing.
Eminem- The Marshall Mathers LP- Basically the best Eminem record. Lyrics are hilarious, beats are awesome, features are perfectly infused and not overdone. Great mainstream hits that are super dated now, but are still well made and were my shit back in theday. The next album was pretty good, then everything turned to shit for the guy. I'm frankly amazed he still has a beating heart.
Fences- Fences- This album has a really big heart. That's all I'll say, because this is somewhat I personal album at this point in my life.
Fever Ray-Fever Ray- Incredibly well done experimental industrial music. I've never heard anything like this. I still need to check out The Knife, as fucked as it is...
Isiah Rashad-The Sun's Tirade- This is was definitely my most listened to album of 2016. The beats are really well done, super laid back that complements Rashad's flow-style perfectly.

zera_p
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:04 am 

ACDC Hell's Bells...

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:35 am 

zera_p wrote:
ACDC Hell's Bells...

That's a song, not an album.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:51 pm 

Luvers666 wrote:
One such album is Ten Invitations by guitar virtuoso, Rik Emmett

Damn, that's one hell of an endorsement for this record, I'm definitely going to set aside time to listen to it soon. Thanks for mentioning this!

Hellbeast11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:17 pm 

Mario Batkovic playing Philip Glass-like contemporary classical music gets 100% from me. Usually, I hate accordion, but this doesn't sound French at all.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:21 pm 

Mothership by Dance Gavin Dance. This is the perfect post-hardcore album, and there are so many influences that they throw into it beyond that including but not limited to: R&B, Oldschool metalcore, screamo (or scramz, as it is called by some), pop-punk, post-rock/ambient. I saw them play it in full about a week ago and I'm so glad I got to go, because I've been jamming it so hard since I got it. Definitely worth checking out, but you have to listen to the whole album to get the experience. The link I posted is to the first song, and it is part of a playlist that will go through the album in order.

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:23 pm 

I know it has been mentioned here already but I have to plug Comus - "First Utterance". I probably like it more than any metal album, honestly. Really one of a kind, and perhaps the most "pagan" of any work of art. Some weird surreal transitions almost degenerate into primitive orgies, replete with goat bleating. The real witches' sabbath is right here...

The only other non-metal album I would now probably give 100% to is Wishbone Ash - "Argus". A lot of Jethro Tull and Yes would get close, though. I imagine a lot of metalheads like prog rock. Or on second thought I would add some Indian classical music like Pran Nath's "Midnight" (drone fans ONLY) or Amjad Ali Khan, but since the music is less album-based it might be a weird way to rate it (same for Western classical music). The Pran Nath album, for example, is just two different live recordings of a single raaga, obviously different from one another due to the nature of Hindustani music, but still.

Sang Dalang Abu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:26 am 

Classical music just hit perfect rating in my collection. My favorite album ever 100% no doubt, composed by the best composer in the world! Penderecki!!

Here is the cover:

Matrix 5! by Polish Radio National Symphony Orchestra

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:18 am 

Gabor Szabo - "Dreams"

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

albumposting
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:34 pm 

Norma Jean - Bless the Martyr and Kiss the Child. I'd call it metal, but if this site doesn't, then I guess it belongs in a "non-metal" thread.

Yeah, this album is my single favorite album of all time. I've listened to it hundreds of times front-to-back and it never gets old. Listen to it.
it fills their ears and makes them ill,
They do not struggle anymore.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:57 pm 

There is a Canadian folk artist by the name of Justin Rutledge who's album "Valleyheart" from 2013 is one of my favourite records. Really warm sounds, and his voice is perfect.

Also, in the song Kapuskasing Coffee, he sings, "Sometimes, it helps to play some heavy, heavy metal."
Agreed, Justin.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:32 am 

HeySharpshooter wrote:
Funny Built to Spill is coming up, since I just started getting into them.

How about some love for Guided by Voices. Because 'Bee Thousand' is an easy 100% album. I love it so much right now I hate it. Its too good, and its making me feel cynical and late to the party.

Built to Spill are a pretty good band, and I guess I hadn't realized how many people who aren't actually from around here (southwestern Idaho) have heard of them. I believe the very first live show I saw after moving to Boise in '94, was these guys playing with other some band called Felt Neighbor (in the lower section of a bar called Grainey's) I've seen them play numerous times over the years, and they put out some pretty good stuff.

One of my 100% albums would be Flying Saucer Attack's "Chorus." That's one of those records I just cant get enough of. Really powerful, beautiful, soaring majestic stuff amid tons of reverb, feedback, and melody; pretty much the ultimate shoegaze experimental pop, I don't know what you'd call it but everything I have heard from this band, I have really, really liked.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:09 pm 

Flying Saucer Attack is an interesting band, I've only heard Further, though and I have to say I couldn't quite get into it.

electricgrave
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:46 pm 

Robin Trower "Bridge of Sighs"
Molly Hatchet "Flirtin' with Disaster"
Creedence Clearwater Revival "Bayou Country"
Whitesnake "Slip of the Tongue"
Led Zeppelin II
Van Halen "1984"
The Cranberries "Bury the Hatchet"
Bob Marley & The Wailers "Exodus"

electricgrave
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:36 pm 

Asia "Arena"
Boston (self-titled)

Like_Rats
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:56 pm 

Swans - To Be Kind
Swans - Soundtracks for the Blind
Swans - The Seer
Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love and Hate
At the Drive-In - Relationship of Command
Xiu Xiu - A Promise
Slint - Spiderland

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 43  Next